Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

@RobRoy. Give the Gaelforce a go. A bit of practice on the bike and kayak and your made. You for one don't need much practice on the Reek.

I cannot do anything on a bike at all. The running part is fine and of course the Reek not a problem, so I prefer to stick to uphill mountain running and leave the cycling to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

hello All,
    What time do you think the competitors will be making it into Westport. Want to offer some support!!
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

The winners probably finished around an hour ago but there will be people finishing for the next few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

4 stars (good)
    Back in the hotel, thoroughly fecked. Really enjoyed it, came in just under 5 hours, 4:59:37 to be precise :D I had the 5hr figure in my head as a target but had no idea of what time I was on for... was thrilled when I got the printout!! I seem to always be ambivalent about these events beforehand and totally elated afterward, but still I loved it!

Congrats to Peter aswell, and all of the elites. I have no idea how ye maniacs do that in under 4 hours!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

4 stars (good)
    Got my sub 5hr time, 4:48. First time and really enjoyed it. Fantastic atmosphere and a brilliant event. It is beyond me how anyone could do it over an hour and twenty minutes quicker, absolute animals is what they are. Will be back next year for sure. Hope everyone had a good race.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

3 stars (average)
    6:00:30 for my first time out im happy with that. Did it with my missus and she suffered awful calf cramps on the first cycle. Really Enjoyed it, took out time in alot of places:

Run: 1:24:00
    Kayak: 8.44
    Run: 23:40
    Bike: 2:02:04
    Up CP: 44:57
    Down CP: 33:47
    Finish: 43:18

Got the whole thing on RunKeeper as well, clocked 67.28KM, good few vids on a GoPro as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

30 seconds and a lost bike, 30 bloody seconds stopped me getting my sub 5 !

I knew I was on for a sub 5 when I got to Croagh Patrick, left the bike in the green field which was pretty empty. When I got back it was like a different field altogether so me and some other guy easily wasted 2 to 3 minutes to find our steeds. Still was sure I was on for it but the cycle to Westport took me longer than the 30 or so minutes I was banking on so coming to the finish I knew I was cutting it fine. I had to shout at 3 guys who I caught within the barriers I was coming on their right, they gave me room fair play but with the finish in sight I just couldn't do it. But still happy with 5 hours, over 20 minutes quicker than last year.

But yeah, fair play to those guys getting their quick times, it's a great feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

3 stars (average)
    Just in. I'm fit to die. Managed a respectable 6.32. Knocked an hour and ten minutes off my time from last year so I'm well chuffed! Cp did it to me again tho! Everything else went perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Was in Delphi today finishing up a family holiday, was great to see all the competitors and fair play to you all!!

I got some pics of the runners here on the Delphi Side of Killary!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

Was in Delphi today finishing up a family holiday, was great to see all the competitors and fair play to you all!!

I got some pics of the runners here on the Delphi Side of Killary!
    Some great photos!

Managed 5hours 2mins,kicking myself that I missed a sub 5 time but it's 45 mins quicker than last year, if I keep that up I'll win GFW 2013!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

4 stars (good)
    Wreckd.

First GF, did 5 48. Had 5 30 in my head and was on track but CP killed me, 53 min up, 36 down.
    Was a really good day, great atmosphere at finish. That last run was killer.
    Saw a boardsie jersey cycling jersey in my wave, said hi. I had my boards buff on, represent!
    Cramping up bad now :(
    Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

2 stars (poor)
    My first GF and managed 4hr 56, with my target being 5 hrs so I'm well chuffed. My old twisted knee pains kicked in soon into teh first run and I was in near tears coming down CP.

Congrats to eveyone competing be it super fit freaks or the never give up crew at the tail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

3 stars (average)
    6:53

Ouch, ouch, ouch.

More on this tomorrow.

Well done all, done great times posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done all. In particular to PeterX for yet another win. Tremendous.

Recommendations: Everyday for the rest of the week, ice bath for 20 minutes. Fill a large 80 litre rubish bin or a large one with cold water and add ice. Stand or sit in the water for 20 minutes - the first 3 minutes are hell, but endure the uncomfortable feeling and you get used to it. When finished get out and allow your legs to warm slowly and gradually. For dainty toes, wear socks.

Slogger - met Peter in the town afterwards for a gargle. The Rathfarmham lads were in good form...Next probably be the National 1/2 and then on the World Mountain Masters....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

3 stars (average)
    Rew wrote: »

Ah balls. Below average :( I'd say I could have made 6 if it wasn't for a load of little things getting in my way. I was going great guns on the last cycle with finishluike in sight full pelt and then a car pulled out in front and had to jam on the breaks to a complete stop. Same on the descent after the big hill on the cycle.

Anyone know anything of the lad who had the accident there? I was talking to the bloke who treated him on site said his helmet was split in two. Went straight in to the wall at the bottom. I cycled past he was on a spinal board with blood all over his face

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

4 stars (good)
    Rew wrote: »

Wish this gave individual split timings, and the ability to sort by them like the WAR does. Doing the sums manually... seems like my bike timings were better than a couple of guys in the top 20! If only I could run worth a damn :o

4 stars (good)
    Time to open the poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 darrenoconaill

Great race again yesterday. Weather was fanatastic. Thought the marshalling and general organisation was much improved from last year too so thanks to all involved. Was a bit annoyed to see the amount of gel wrappers thrown around the course. Some people still don't give a s**t about littering which is very disappointing.

Did 4:38. 10 mins quicker than last year so happy out. That bog road bit on the bike before CP nearly broke my heart again. Brutal. Well done to all who finished.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Was a bit annoyed to see the amount of gel wrappers thrown around the course. Some people still don't give a s**t about littering which is very disappointing.

Agreed. I was also quite surprised by it, I was in the 7am wave, it must have been twice as bad after all the waves had gone. I would have had no hesitation in taking numbers if id seen anyone but i didnt.
    Also saw a large numbers of water bottles ditched, presume they fell by accident and wernt ditched for weight savings?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

4 stars (good)
    Great event but the drop off in Delphi on Friday night was really poorly organised. They need to have cones or marshalls and some sort of place to park. Took me over an hour and would have been longer except I had someone to turn the car round while I dropped the bike.

Agree about the littering - very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great race. Well done to Peter, super performance.

Weather conditions were perfect. Will stick up a race report later but delighted with my race, got home in 4.12.

Well organised event with the people of Westport great hosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

hi all,

So yesterday was my first experience of the gaelforce. Finished in 5hrs 19 minutes and was happy enough. Did it with the brother so we stayed together for the duration of it.

A few things i noted.

The first thing was the 13k run. I found this to be more boggy then the supposed four k bog run, this might have been down to the fact that i was in the 10.O Clock group , wave 8. I enjoyed it tho as i found that i wasnt thinking about the distance i was doing more the ground i was trying to manouver myself through. Got this done in 1hr 14mins.

The Kayak was grand but for some reason i always get soar groins when trying to work the Kayak. 9 minutes i think.

The 4 a nd a hf K bog run i found ok also with no falls. Only problem was trying to get a decent pace as there were a lot of walkers on this but once ye got onto road it was fine.

Onto the cycling which was my strongest discipline but stayed witht he brother for the most of it, found the road surface fine up until the laneway in croagh patrick. could have set up a small bike shop if id a stopped and picked up all the cycle gear on the road. A lovely pair of yellow cycling glasses among other items.

Onto Croagh Patrick, started to jog up this , then realised that i was never going to be able to keep a jogging pace so ended up doing a brisk walk up it, finished it in 43 minutes. Actually enjoyed coming down in ( stuck to the track) got it done in 25 minutes, how Peter x did this in ten minutes i dont know.

The final cycle was the most frustrating , great speed coming from croagh p then that dreaded lane. thankfully didnt get a puncture though, put the bike on the shoulder from the area where it was simply impossible to cycle on a racer. then bombed it home.

Thought there wasant as marshalls as iv seen on smaller events but then i suppose this is hard as its spread over such a large area.

I didnt think there was that much rubbish thrown round, as with that amount of people you were always gonna get a bit.

Onto the motivate challenge now in punchestown on the 24th of September and then the Killarney adventure race on the 8th of October.

There addictive these things.

TRhe one thing that did surprise me about the event yesterday was from talking to a gfuard b4 hand was that no money raised from that actual entry fee goes to charity which i cant understand. IU realise thewre is probably a lot of cost involved but surely some of the 85/95 euro could go to some local cause. Maybe i was misinformed, if so someone put me straight.

Well done to all involved

3 stars (average)
    mfdc wrote: »
    Wish this gave individual split timings, and the ability to sort by them like the WAR does. Doing the sums manually... seems like my bike timings were better than a couple of guys in the top 20! If only I could run worth a damn :o

Copy and paste to excel thats what I did to work out the average time.

Smurph - well done for the completion of the event. Yeah not one cent from the entry goes to any charity, even though some people competing do so for a charity. The army of marshals are volunteers - so it is a fantastic money-making deal for Delphi and local hospitality industry (for approx 3000 at €90 each thats €270,000 alone for entry, excluding extras such as accodomation, food, drink etc., as well as event sponsorship from businesses)- but considering that on previous posts a certain person was inferring that I myself was trying to profiteer from the event, when I was coaching, advising and doing physio for certain competitors and that anyone else was free to help out with the oils etc., This person took exception to that and therefore hounded me - so I stayed away from the event completely and returned to Westport to catch up with friends that competed afterwards.

These events are great and wonderful as competitive adventure racing - but it is best to bear in mind that these races should be run on the basis of Competition and not as a money making scheme.

As for Peter X descent on Croagh Patrick - Peter is an excellent Mountain Runner and I have great respect for him. He is strong on the ascent but like many top Irish Mountain Runners, fantastic on the dscent.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Glad it's over and done with again, I was cursing the reek as I plodded up the cone!! :(

I actually enjoyed going down skelp and the onroad hills that followed it the most yesterday, just let the bike go on skelp, only got off for a few metres near the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Glad it's over and done with again, I was cursing the reek as I plodded up the cone!! :(

I actually enjoyed going down skelp and the onroad hills that followed it the most yesterday, just let the bike go on skelp, only got off for a few metres near the bottom.

Hats off to the elites, in particular Peterx, their times are nothing short of phenomenal. They should receive a lot more recognition in the media as they are superb athletes and great ambassadors for the sport. Enjoyed the event, was marshalled better than last year and the weather was much nicer too :). Burst my tyre just before CP so my sub 6 ambition went down the drain. Congratulations to everybody who finished, great achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 39 josh79

Had a great week end I finished my first ever gfw in 5:36 so happy wit tat sub 5 nxt yr :). the brother in law lost his Garmin near the top of cp after a fall I know it's a long shot but if anyone found it could ya pm me please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

Great race again yesterday. Weather was fanatastic. Thought the marshalling and general organisation was much improved from last year too so thanks to all involved. Was a bit annoyed to see the amount of gel wrappers thrown around the course. Some people still don't give a s**t about littering which is very disappointing.

Did 4:38. 10 mins quicker than last year so happy out. That bog road bit on the bike before CP nearly broke my heart again. Brutal. Well done to all who finished.
    I thought the litter was better than expected but maybe that's because I'm a terrible pessimist

Advertisement