Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

TheTubes wrote: »
    I'm really strong at running and cycling.
    I think its a kayaking event.

My strongest discipline is travelling on the bus.. I win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I believe Bruce started out as an orienteer and fancy footwork and the ability to run through all sorts of terrain generally come with being a good orienteer.

my basic splits say that gaelforce is approximately;

08 minutes kayaking - 3.7%
    93 minutes cycling - 43.5%
    113 minutes running - 52.8%

This misses the fact the last split has a few minutes of running
    so maybe;

8 kayak - 4%
    89 bike - 41.5%
    117 run - 54.5%

I'd say this breakdown is good for most lads I was racing against and that anyone's personal splits will obviously be skewed by their own personal strengths. Robroy1234 and Yop's replies illustrate this perfectly although what I really think is that no pure single disipline man has a hope in hell, you need good cycling legs and you need good running legs and most importantly you need the stamina to be able to use those legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I think its a bit silly to say GF is a cycling or running event. Your opinion is probably formed by your weakest discipline.

A valid point, running would be my weaker discipline, and my judgement is probably clouded by that.

That said, I found the cycle the hardest ever this year in GF, 3rd year in a row, and I suffered on the bike, it felt like an eternity on the bike this year, and it turned out was 5 mins faster on that section compared to last year, I thought I had lost time on it on the day, I was cursing myself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Peterx wrote: »
    I believe Bruce started out as an orienteer and fancy footwork and the ability to run through all sorts of terrain generally come with being a good orienteer.

my basic splits say that gaelforce is approximately;

08 minutes kayaking - 3.7%
    93 minutes cycling - 43.5%
    113 minutes running - 52.8%

This misses the fact the last split has a few minutes of running
    so maybe;

8 kayak - 4%
    89 bike - 41.5%
    117 run - 54.5%

I'd say this breakdown is good for most lads I was racing against and that anyone's personal splits will obviously be skewed by their own personal strengths. Robroy1234 and Yop's replies illustrate this perfectly although what I really think is that no pure single disipline man has a hope in hell, you need good cycling legs and you need good running legs and most importantly you need the stamina to be able to use those legs.

As they say "white men can't jump", in my case its "Fat men can't run" :)

Good luck for next year, great reports from the lads there, great to get the different views. Tom O'Dowd now will have to get onto races reports! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

Yop - I was only at the Reek12 for a short while as I was heading off on hols the next day. I was there just before the start and gave a few of the lads a shake-down rub. I was advising Kieran Hastings and his friend Tom, and they met with me prior to the event and on the day for advice. I advised them on the Ice-baths afterwards and Kieran has been a very strong adherent to the ice-baths after I introduced them to Kilmeena GAA club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

robroy1234 wrote: »
    I don't think so Yop. I cannot ride a bike to save my life. The running sections and Croagh Patrick no problem at all, also the prize breakdown are not worth the effort - I apologise but in terms of my own competitive outings, I am very much a mercenary.

If you're as bad as you say you are, no matter how big the prize is you're not in with a shout to win anyway so your argument is void.

Yop - I was only at the Reek12 for a short while as I was heading off on hols the next day. I was there just before the start and gave a few of the lads a shake-down rub. I was advising Kieran Hastings and his friend Tom, and they met with me prior to the event and on the day for advice. I advised them on the Ice-baths afterwards and Kieran has been a very strong adherent to the ice-baths after I introduced them to Kilmeena GAA club.
    Ah mighty job, I wasn't there at the start myself, late arrival ;)
    Ray was there for it all helping out when I got there, you probably met him there. Good of you to give them a hand out though.

This Regard - if the prize was substantially improved then it would be then appropriate for then to train for the event - especially in the areas that I would be weak in. Saying that Peter and Co know full well what a novice I am to mountain running and so far haven't done too badly at it. So if the prize was worth it - I would be yawping not shouting to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

A riveting race report by Marrey.

http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2011/08/gaelforce-west-padraig-marrey-adventure-racing

Just need Tom O'Dowd's version??

3 stars (average)
    Padraig Marrey has his report up now on irishtriathlon.com.

http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2011/08/gaelforce-west-padraig-marrey-adventure-racing/

Reading these reports is great. The battle up front sounded class.

EDIT, damn you Nerraw // Shakes Fist

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    A riveting race report by Marrey.

http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2011/08/gaelforce-west-padraig-marrey-adventure-racing

Just need Tom O'Dowd's version??

We will have to give him an A4 + biro there in the shop! :)

Kieran is a great lad and full of enthuasism, Padraig and the others were also great. I was only there for a short time at the start and then the next morning before heading off on holiday. I would say that if it wasn't for the Reek12 challenge Padraig may have taken the top spot, but PeterX is a very strong competitor. I will however be starting up a mountain running section here in Westport and will incorporate it with cycling if/when need be.

Kieran is a great lad and full of enthuasism, Padraig and the others were also great. I was only there for a short time at the start and then the next morning before heading off on holiday. I would say that if it wasn't for the Reek12 challenge Padraig may have taken the top spot, but PeterX is a very strong competitor. I will however be starting up a mountain running section here in Westport and will incorporate it with cycling if/when need be.

So you are going to start a hill running club? Might not be a bad idea that, plenty of hills around Mayo! :) What sort of bobs to join that, I am sure there will be a few interested?
    I know the one at the leisure centre do a bike/run every Tuesday, is that the same idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

4 stars (good)
    i started in the first wave this year and only know the top guys too see,had the pleasure of having peterx passing me on the famine trail, and when he was hurtling down the mountain closely followed by bruce duncan, and all i can say is that ye are some athletes! fantastic achievment! all the top guys must put hours into their training, and deserve all the credit they get, though i think they don't get enough!! ( but i'm just as happy with my 49th placing:))!

I am looking for anyone interested in Mountain Running and hopefully will be setting up a regular mountain running league for connacht. The areas would then be training in ascending and descending, tempo running, cross country running, interval/fartlek. Not only at the Reek but at other mountains in the area. There is no strict standard, nor a joining fee, but I am hoping that Mayo AC will incorporate it as part of the club structure, and it will be supported by the Irish Mountain Running Association. You can note that Peter is a member of IMRA and Rathfarnham AC and competes regularly in the mountain running.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

3 stars (average)
    yop wrote: »
    As they say "white men can't jump", in my case its "Fat men can't run" :)

There was a "robust" looking female in front of me for the initial run, kept thinking she would drop back, she didn't, didn't see her for the rest of the race so don't know how she finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Didn't you try the same thing this time last year Rob, what happened, no participants ?

Mayo AC wasn't interested and Mayo Sport Partnership was as always negative about anything outside itself - so without the backing it was put on the back foot. This was despite Mayo winning the Silver at the World Trials/intercounties 2010, myself and PeterX being on the bronze medal team at the World Masters champs 2010, Roger Barrett from Ballina coming to the fore in Euro and world trials as well as youngster Hugh Armstrong also from Ballina being selected for the World Champs. So the talent is available in Mayo - but the support isn't. Considering the level of support that Rathfarnham has for mountain running.

probably a discussion for the IMRA thread Rob1234....anyway, a successful template to follow to establish hillrunning would be the Limerick model. You need a few go-getters, a population base and a few hills within 40 minutes drive of the population base.

The lads there in Limwerick started out with an email list of friends meeting up every Wednesday evening for a summer, the following summer more and more joined the email list and for the last couple of years they have been fully fledged IMRA races.
    you have plenty of choice near Westport although Galway has a bigger population base.
    The other surefire successful way to get mountain running organised in the west is get a job for Turlough Conway out there!

Yeah- its more of an IMRA thread than the Gaelforce thread - but looking to get some Gaelforcers into the mountain running to compliment their training and preparation. I have tried contacting Turlough about setting up a race series here in Connacht, I feel that he would be far more balanced than myself - as I would have all the races going up steep climbs - with no downhill sections....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Am Galway based, and would certainly be interested in getting some hill running into my legs.
    I'm sure there would probably be more based here who could be convinced too.

Dunno how it would work heading into the winter, would probably need to be on a weekend morning.

Spurs - write into the Irish Mountain Running Thread and if need be send a PM to me. There are plenty of mountains in the Galway/Mayo area, all we need are runners and enthusiasts to get things going. The area that Gaelforce runs through is ideal mountain running country - I am only surprised and dismayed that there is little mountain running going on here in Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Its a multisport event. The advantage at the sharp end is with the strong cyclists as roughly 40k of the 67k is cycling and some tough technical cycling at that. Also a mile or a minute on a bike dose not equal a mile or minute running. Theres nothing wrong with the events structure it is what it is and each individual is likely to think its weighted in favour of the disipline they are weak at.Thats human nature. The top 50 will have more strong cyclists than runners tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

re: hill running out west.. Leo Murray from up Donegal way is another contact. He might have taken part in Gaelforce himself. That, or he has a namesake in the results.

If there was races organised at weekends in places like the Bens, Sheefrys etc I'd try my best to get over west more often:)

Saw mention on the GFW site of GFW extreme for next year. Any idea what this is? Is the route being extended? In its early incarnation there was a multi-day race.. maybe its coming back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 triadventure

Was looking for a sub 5hr this year came very close but not there. Want to really break 5 for next year possible a 4:30. Anyone have a good program to follow I think I need more structure not just going out for a run/cycle for x time. Have two kids so I do need to be flexible but it's time to put a bit of a plan together that will get results. Any ideas, sites, plans to follow?

Two blatant plugs but in fairness both of the links are useful:)
    http://www.marreytrainingsystems.com/ (NOTE : OPENS WITH SOUND)
    plenty of tips on his website and tailored training available

http://www.msai.ie/adventure-race-ireland-organiser.php
    loads of tips

and I believe the ladies winner is also a personal trainer.. www.theextramile.ie

but the basic advice is to get out hillrunning, do 2 hour hard hilly spins on the roadbike, join a running club and train with them every Tuesday if the kids bedtime allows..

PeterX - hats off to Emma for winning, especially since she broke a toe at the Snowdon International race, I didn't think she would be able enough to recover in time for Gaelforce, but I am delighted to be proved wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 biker41

I am looking for anyone interested in Mountain Running and hopefully will be setting up a regular mountain running league for connacht. The areas would then be training in ascending and descending, tempo running, cross country running, interval/fartlek. Not only at the Reek but at other mountains in the area. There is no strict standard, nor a joining fee, but I am hoping that Mayo AC will incorporate it as part of the club structure, and it will be supported by the Irish Mountain Running Association. You can note that Peter is a member of IMRA and Rathfarnham AC and competes regularly in the mountain running.

contact Peter Gillespie from Ballina ac, i know he has an interest in this

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Okay, is it just me or has anyone else noticed that not all the photos are up yet? There was a photographer after the Kayak, none of his stuff is up, and there are no Bike shots at all.

Unless I’ve missed something?

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    I didn't see any photographers on the 1st run or on the bikes or kayaks. There was one at the 1st run as he has pics up, but must have been on a pee break when I passed.

There was one at the end and 2 on the reek that I saw.

On the reek, we had the fella at the top and his shots are up on the GF site, that's the RandR fella I think. There was another photographer further down the cone taking pics of people coming up and down, and he was very talkative, asking your name and where you are from, I fell right in front of him, I haven't seen any of those pics up.

Advertisement