Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno XVI - Exchange, Temple Bar, Dublin 05/02/11

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No
    Ken B wrote: »
    Well put, Orim.

I agree, there were two groups in the last inferno which were certainly more top-heavy than the others.

I think that a larger amount of smaller groups would prevent this happening with such frequency.

I'm not sure it would- more groups would mean less people per group get through meaning only 1 or 2 people get through (I believe this happened to you in a group with me and azza, a situation which prob would not have occured with my idea. BTW Azza was unseeded in that group because he'd missed a few infernos...).

Orim you're taking my point to an extreme which I don't mean. I'm not saying honour system, I'm saying slight adjustment which means, for example, falling sick once doesn't mean some new guy has a horrible experience with me and two top seeds- for example.

I know this wont eliminate groups of death. Nothing will! But I do think it'll make things a bit more even.

IMO :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Ken : Ideally it would be eight groups of a minimum of four to a group at all times. However, we do have to make do with whatever we can based on the numbers and the set ups we have available.

It would be of benefit in that you would spread the seeds around. So you would have one top seed per group and then you are into random draw. This has some major drawbacks as well though. In this situation it is top two out of the group. With say 4 to a group, you are fairly well guaranteed to have at least two top players in your group. Now that isn't a group of death, in fact based on the number of top players this would be an ideal. This puts us in the situation where you can pretty much say with certainy who is coming out of the group.

On the other hand bigger groups offer more chances to get out of the group, so therefore if you happen to pull three top players, which would be bad, then you still have a chance to come out as you may be able to get the other wins and get that fourth opening.

Doom : I was taking your idea to an extreme but tbh it's basicilly the way it is. I mean the group you describe is a bad group but it's not because of Azza not being seeded. Let's Azza was seeded and that bumps Dreddybajs out of the seeds and he ends up in the group. Then it's you, Dreddy and Ken. Still a bad group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Ireland is just full of awesome players... everyone's gotta level up :)

No
    Orim wrote: »

Doom : I was taking your idea to an extreme but tbh it's basicilly the way it is. I mean the group you describe is a bad group but it's not because of Azza not being seeded. Let's Azza was seeded and that bumps Dreddybajs out of the seeds and he ends up in the group. Then it's you, Dreddy and Ken. Still a bad group.

I don't think it would. It's exceedingly rare for all the current top 8 to show up for a tournament. If you're seeding tier 2 as well (which I think we should always do as a bit of spice) there's always a couple of spaces free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 HandiCapanda

Maybe a topic for discussion at the next inferno, get a few people(a committee maybe) to decide on it. The system will never be perfect but we might aswell strive for it.

My only fear is that newcomers will be put off local play. SF4 and super have created big interest, this will increase with MvC3 and all the other new releases. I remember my first inferno group was Redman, Bush, Tetly and 1 other guy... but luckily it didn't put me off :D

• Advertisement

No
    We have a committee and I'm on it!

your point is exactly mine Handi, I don't want people put off. Neither does Orim, and we've already talked about this at length in person, it's just a thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

No

Nice to meet you, nice work with the modded HRAP. Tried dual modding my TE stick recently, I had a pad all soldered up but got scared when I had to daisy chain the buttons.

CHEERS.
    it used to be a beaut
    13048_202172679941_666799941_4099940_2241148_n.jpg
    hanging by a thread inside
    13048_202172674941_666799941_4099939_6639400_n.jpg

back on topic, regarding the seed, i dont care what way its done, just weight the seeds by reputation. I dont like ending up with chris,ciaran then doyler and fergus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Maybe
    Anyone on the beast list should automatically be seeded top 8

No
    we should have an ULTRA TOURNAMENT
    first to 10 type thing, offline

that will determine the beasts for the next 5 infernos.
    seed those beasts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No
    Hey Farz,
    I remember the insides of that HRAP :)

I showed you how to solder it (or something like that) :D

• Advertisement

No
    yes you did, thanks ! i waited a few months, thinking mad catz were terrible [gameshark rep from ages ago etc] so wanted to mod my own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

No
    Will b1tches please stop moaning about the seeds. :p

Man up..... and level up. Talk of seeds never really comes from those on the community who would be considered noobs discovering the scene, it comes from regular attending players who get beat in their groups because the level of play is actually very high at Inferno (with the exception of Farz...... and at the last inferno, me as well). Ken B also had a really hard group but the point of Inferno is that it is the highest calibre tournament in Ireland. As of recently with the leveling up people are doing and forcing others to also do so, the standard is very high and, relative to each other, very competitive. IHMO all but maybe 2/3 of the seeds are beatable by players who are 'lower' in the rankings in any given match. This is how HYPE and shocks are born!

I think we should keep the seeding as is and give the organisers of Inferno some authority to maybe add a player here or there based on their better judgement and player reputation should there be a completely stupid group. I would be the first to say that all of the lads so far who have organised would be beyond reproach enough to make such a call should it be needed.

I'll even nerd it up for ya
    IF
    Group X={Blag, Cog, Bush, Doom, Noob};
    AND
    Group Y={Noob, Noob, Noob, Noob};
    THEN
    Make a judgment call :pac:

@Farz - another 'higher' tournament = Gay! Inferno is the highest tournament for the scene!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

One point about noobs though. You never know when a noob is going to be a Hound or a Cobelcog (although he was knocked out of groups his first tournament. Online scrubs thinking they can rule the roost :P)

No
    Orim wrote: »
    One point about noobs though. You never know when a noob is going to be a Hound or a Cobelcog (although he was knocked out of groups his first tournament. Online scrubs thinking they can rule the roost :P)

True, but that wouldn't be the norm, it would be an exception?!

Plus, lets face it. Although I can't beat Hound, Farz has, ergo........ :p

And lets not forget, if a Hound like player showed up then he would be a noob no matter how good he is. He's a new player.

No
    FUUUUUUUU EMMET, i hope you dont tell Rachel of these big conquests
    heres your trophy
    silver-penny-farthing-trophy.jpg

40226_1250539095822_full.jpg

FIRST TO TEN, at the next inferno.

No
    Placebo wrote: »
    FUUUUUUUU EMMET, i hope you dont tell Rachel of these big conquests
    heres your trophy
    silver-penny-farthing-trophy.jpg

40226_1250539095822_full.jpg

FIRST TO TEN, at the next inferno.

ItsOnNowChapsL.jpg

We gonna run a book on it? After you get knocked out of groups, just wait for me to finish in the Double Elimination knockout stages and then I will deal with you

No
    You get an easy group and you think you're the next cobelcog? sit back down son, ITS ON.
    lets leave the rules open, no character lock. See how you deal with all my pokemon.

meh.ro4272.jpg

http://runabook.co.uk

No
    yawn%20big%20funny.jpg

No
    Inferno is on this sat, isn't it?

Hype?

No
    i broke my finger while bowling, but i still plan to make it down for our first to ten

• Advertisement

No
    i broke my finger while bowling, but i still plan to make it down for our first to ten

Wow, I'm a fan of the excuses but starting already?

I will postpone our FT10 until the next inferno (April) if you are 'injured'. I don't want you making excuses for losing - when you lose. Fair enough?

No
    we can see how im set closer to date. Its not for another week.
    Could be enough healing time, its my index finger.

i never make excuses.

No
    we can see how im set closer to date. Its not for another week.
    Could be enough healing time, its my index finger.

Advertisement