Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno XVI - Exchange, Temple Bar, Dublin 05/02/11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 onion_knight

Hi all, first post.

I'm John, I was the pad Chun player (I also play on stick) who was around at the start of the tournament.

Nice to meet the Dublin scene, ggs to the few players I had casuals with.

I moved to Dundalk about a year ago, and have been playing street fighter competitively since Alpha 3, I also play 3rd strike.

My xbox live id is "j Onion Knight" (could a mod please add me to the players list). If anyone in Dundalk wants to play some casuals in ssf4 or 3rd strike, let me know.

Sorry if this is not the best place to post, but as I met you all at the Inferno event, I thought I'd start here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

No
    If you want to bring four more consoles and monitors, be my guest.

but surely if the groups are smaller , they will run faster? so same setups would work?

onion_knight, i was talking to you i think - farzad, the really cool guy that amazing skills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

No
    Hi all, first post.

I'm John, I was the pad Chun player (I also play on stick) who was around at the start of the tournament.

I moved to Dundalk about a year ago, and have been playing street fighter competitively since Alpha 3, I also play 3rd strike.

My xbox live id is "j Onion Knight" (could a mod please add me to the players list). If anyone in Dundalk wants to play some casuals in ssf4 or 3rd strike, let me know.

Sorry if this is not the best place to post, but as I met you all at the Inferno event, I thought I'd start here.

Hi! I was the guy you were talking to about bus/trains in dundalk at the start. I'll add you on XBL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

ef30d72b90964933b716e9b3e23d034a.jpg

04d52f0a3a1b4a0e90fea38443470c91.jpg

fe853cb7eb874379b08d48b7debc21fe.jpg

f10f1e5f3f034de7a4082a91a1dafbd7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

No
    Hi all, first post.

Nice to meet you man, if you ever want some 3rd Strike games on GGPO just hop on the streetfighter.ie webchat, I'm always up for some!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

No
    Ggs all yesterday.
    The amount of new people there was insane, I literally didn't recognise half the people there.
    @mickles hard luck man, you were thrown into the hardest group, I'd say you could have easily got out of one of the others with that nasty gen!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

GGs to everyone yesterday, esp Stevo - Fear is the path to the dark side: fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to Guile.

Lol, your boxer is sick man, i was really suprised (and disgusted) by the counter pick, the first game felt really close.

GG's to everybody i played yesterday with special recognition to Blag (bison) for thoroughly embarrassing me twice (that replay is tough to watch don't know what the fk i was trying to do) and the Abel i played after groups, really fun match.

Had a blast at my first tournament, can't wait for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

No
    No shame in losing to Blag stev0, he's easily one of the best players in the country! Sorry for giving your Honda a bit of hard time on the commentary, was just tired and salty that I scrubbed out so early :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mickles_86

No
    DarkTalant wrote: »
    Ggs all yesterday.
    The amount of new people there was insane, I literally didn't recognise half the people there.
    @mickles hard luck man, you were thrown into the hardest group, I'd say you could have easily got out of one of the others with that nasty gen!

I'm not too sure about that mate, no matter what tv i was watching the person was playing was very good so it was a tough field. I struggled to begin with but towards the end i felt like i was getn into my rythym, great days craic though. Were you the Ibuki user in my group? If you were then u got some sick combos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Hi all, first post.

Hi man, was not at inferno this time but would love to play you at 3s sometime ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    No shame in losing to Blag stev0, he's easily one of the best players in the country! Sorry for giving your Honda a bit of hard time on the commentary, was just tired and salty that I scrubbed out so early :pac:

No problems man, i played terribly anyway. I beat two Guile's and a Dhalsim so as a Honda player i left feeling pretty good. You guys can definetely count me in for any future events.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

No
    I was the Abel you ran into in losers. Was a really fun game and quite close. Honda makes me so scared to push buttons!

Good you enjoyed the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

New players:
    Where did you hear about Inferno/streetfighter.ie Or have you known about it for a long time and just decided to come out for your first tournament?

Farz: Posters, just change the number, no one will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

GGs to everyone Saturday. My first time at the new venue and it was infinitely better. The layout made it easy to glance across all the matches being played and there was generally a better atmosphere.

Was great to see so many new guys there, Mickles' Gen looked like he was giving people a had time and Stevo's Honda was as a pain in the arse!

GG's to the Hound, played a stormer in the final and in the losers final.
    BG's in general to Cobelcog.

The fact we had an all pad final and I lost to two pad players demonstrates how OP they are and clearly need to be banned:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 onion_knight

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Hi! I was the guy you were talking to about bus/trains in dundalk at the start. I'll add you on XBL

Looking forward to playing you online
    Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Nice to meet you man, if you ever want some 3rd Strike games on GGPO just hop on the streetfighter.ie webchat, I'm always up for some!

Unfortunately I'm with eircom and can't get my ports forwarded without a static IP. If anyone knows how to get GGPO working with on Eircom broadband, let me know.
    Ramza wrote: »
    Hi man, was not at inferno this time but would love to play you at 3s sometime ^^

Hey Ramza I've heard good things bout your Urien from some friends back home. (Circle Masher and True Might on Neo Empire) Unfortunately my game's not as strong as there's, but it'd be great to play you, and try to level up my game a bit.
    Placebo wrote: »
    but surely if the groups are smaller , they will run faster? so same setups would work?

onion_knight, i was talking to you i think - farzad, the really cool guy that amazing skills

Nice to meet you, nice work with the modded HRAP. Tried dual modding my TE stick recently, I had a pad all soldered up but got scared when I had to daisy chain the buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,978 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No
    Unfortunately I'm with eircom and can't get my ports forwarded without a static IP. If anyone knows how to get GGPO working with on Eircom broadband, let me know.

You don't need a static IP on your ISPs side, just internally on your PC.

There are two ways of doing this, setting your router to always assign your MAC address the same IP (best way) or manually setting an IP address on your PC (easiest way).

The first option is easy too, just slightly harder than option two.

No
    Full results:

1st - Cobelcog

2nd - Hound

3rd - Blag

4th - DooM

5th - StevoK
    5th - DarkTalant

7th - IanMcTetly
    7th - A-Trak

9th - Speedboat
    9th - Kirby
    9th - Doyler
    9th - D4RK ONION

13th - Cloudrunner
    13th - Dreddybajs
    13th - Owwmykneecap
    13th - Graeme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Eircom.jpg

screenshot of my settings

go into your router settings, 192.168.1.254 most likely
    go into expert mode
    NAT settings
    and create custom services
    you'll get ports at portforward.com

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

No
    Mickles_86 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about that mate, no matter what tv i was watching the person was playing was very good so it was a tough field. I struggled to begin with but towards the end i felt like i was getn into my rythym, great days craic though. Were you the Ibuki user in my group? If you were then u got some sick combos
    Yeah i was the ibuki alright.
    You had some sick stuff with gen as well. You'll be a serious threat once you get used to tournaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

Great day, venue is as good as ever. Thanks to Chopper and everyone who helped make it possible. Doom still a hero for his work on the vids. GGs to everyone I played, finals were too close. Was cool to see so many new faces, nice to meet everyone and I hope everyone sticks around. Also looooool @ dreddy and doyler. Best commentary.

No
    It appears that DooM may be top seed with his fourth, second and fourth in the last three.

Someone better check on Azza, in case he has a heart attack at the news.

May have to change it to be more in line with the old F1 points system.

Winner gets 10, second gets 8. Then keep the rest as they have been.

3rd - 6
    4th - 5
    5th - 4
    7th - 3
    9th - 2
    13th - 1

This would put DooM second on 18 rewarding consistent performances and Cobelcog top with 20 for his two wins out of three and one no-show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No
    New F1 points system (since 2010 season)
    The 2010 system awards the top ten classified finishers on a 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 basis.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No
    Why not simply extend the seeding to the last 6 tournaments so missing one stops being sch a big thing.

I've said this after the last 3 infernos and it's me it benefits not to have it this way.

Also:

HA HA HAH HAAA.

America. F^%$ yeah.

I'm getting in my boat.

etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

F1 system makes sense with last 3 makes sense.

Anything more then last 3 would have the problem of keeping people in seeds for too long imo.

Last three nice balance of seeds being somewhat settled while keeping it as relevant as possible based on current performances. Of course we could always blast away the seedings and purely base it on the last tournament.

No
    3 Months mean anyone who's had to miss one tournament is damaged to the tune of 33%. It's too significant.

Seeds stopped being just numbers for Inferno a while back, they're hype generators.

I agree, which is why we need less in the mix. Makes for more movement and therefore hype because it gives people a chance to come out of nowhere and grab a spot.

Long numbery section coming up, which I hope will prove my point.
    Going to post the last 2 months with the top 8 seeds as they would have appeared based on both systems.

Month 1 :
    Cobelcog 34
    Bush 25
    AnimaX 19
    Hound 17
    Azza 14
    Blag 13
    Kirby 13
    Dreddybajs 12

Cobelcog 18
    AnimaX 13
    Hound 13
    Bush 12
    Kirby 10
    Dreddybajs 10
    Azza 8
    Doctor Doom 7

I didn't realise how late it was. I'm going to do the one month. I also didn't think that was going to be so taxing, I may have made some errors.
    But anyway I hope that demonstrates some of what I was saying.

My main issue with the longer time scale is that it gives no set up for someone to do well and break the seeds. Or at the very least it reduces those chances. In the shorter time frame, Azza has managed to come back from zero points and get into top 8 with a tournament win. It wasn't the first time, the same thing happened when AnimaX got his first second place.

Now you can't see it because I'm being lazy but Bush is an example of form. Bush would have been fairly well slotted into top 8 and possibly second place in the longer time frame. In the shorter one, he's very likely to drop out of top 8 (he did) due to this slump in form. Now should he keep top 8 based on performances 5/6 months ago and should it be more recent?

As with everything it's a balancing act but to a certain degree why shouldn't the seeds in some part reward the people who do show up to more tournaments?

A fair compromise could be something along the lines of last 3 tournaments attended in the last 6 months, with some kind of limit such as miss two in a row and you drop a result.

No
    Orim wrote: »
    Now should he keep top 8 based on performances 5/6 months ago and should it be more recent?

As with everything it's a balancing act but to a certain degree why shouldn't the seeds in some part reward the people who do show up to more tournaments?

Yes, he should!

Because otherwise he becomes a wildcard and some other new guy who possibly could have gotten through to the elimination rounds has been knocked out because they've had to deal with a group with Bush AND another one of the top 8.

Don't say it doesn't happen. Twice now Joe has had a group with me and one of the returning top tier Bisons. I hardly think it's fair on him, or any of the other lesser experienced guys.

You're not helping the people you think you are by penalising people who miss one or 2 tournaments.

I go to everything. I'm the guy who's getting rewarded for it and I'm saying I don't think it's the right way to go about it.

What you're saying is not a balancing act, it's the extreme. 1 missed month and it's a huge impact on a player.

I don't think widening the brackets will make that much of a difference either, save for the fact it will make people who frequently score 8th or 7th as opposed to higher never get into the top 8.

Maybe 6 is too much but what about 4 or 5? Both'd drastically reduce the effect.

Just imo though.

But then let's just make a reputation system and be done with seeds.

So we don't want Bush to be a wildcard. Or cobelcog, azza, blag, animaX, dreddybajs, doctor doom, gorysnake, hound, kirby, ian mctetley, newtype, liquidswords, ken b, d4rk onion.

That's just from a quick glance and that is a list of 15 people that can easily take a top 8 position and have taken them. There's a plenty of others that can do it fairly handy and there's more that can do it on the day. That means that you are always going to have at least two players that should be seeded in your group.
    In the example, Bush keeps his seed, which prevents Gorysnake from becoming a seed. So now we have Gorysnake, who just came second in a tournament as a wildcard.

The seed list isn't meant to help anyone. In an ideal world where we can manage 8 groups at all times, it's meant to guarantee that every group has at least one good player in the group. That's the be all and end of it.

It's also a numerical way of showing who's doing well based on the performances they've put in recently. The recent thing is important because if you don't show up then we don't know how you're doing but it's also why I've kept all the results so at some stage, after a year or something, we can do a full break down of how everyone did. Realised earlier that I should have put in a marker for tournaments where people didn't show up as opposed to not getting out of groups. But we live and learn.

DooM, you aren't only getting rewarded because you go to everything. You're getting rewarded because you consistently place well in everything. Your last three results have 4th, 2nd, 4th. You've been top 16 for 8 months and have generally placed in the top 8. In regards to Inferno I've been to every one you have and I managed to into the top 16 seeds once in that time frame.

The fact is that there is enough good players that you are never going to get an easy ride through to the top 16. Sometimes it'll be easier then others but it's never going to be simple and there's always going to be someone that gets screwed unless we start doing something like making new people or less experienced groups with only a seed and all other good players excluded. That not only tarnishes top 16 but it'd be a nightmare to run.

Regardless of how the seeds operate you are going to get bad groups for people. For example :
    Seed
    Newtype
    Redman 350
    Sagat08
    New Guy

That's a pretty nasty group and could very well happen with any seeding system we have other then reputation and basically trying to make the fairest groups ourselves by placing people in groups.

The only thing I can see a lengthening of the time frame doing is allowing people to settle into seed spots and stay there despite poor form.

The F1 system simply adds a little more weight to first and second place. It would make it slightly harder to crack top 8 these days since we have so many different winners and second placers lately but with Cobelcog back to winning ways, it shouldn't make a huge difference :P

That's a lot of waffle I hope some of it makes sense. I can see your point though. Maybe 4 months would be better, it was something I debated in the first couple of months but everything seemed to slot together nicely after 3 so I stuck with it.

Just imo though.

Just in general, this is something always makes chuckle. Who else's opinion would it be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Well put, Orim.

I agree, there were two groups in the last inferno which were certainly more top-heavy than the others.

I think that a larger amount of smaller groups would prevent this happening with such frequency.

Advertisement