Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Trevor Ó Clochartaigh was selected as their sole candidate. Can't see him getting a seat somehow.

Doubt he'll get a seat but Ó Clochartaigh, Connolly and Kyne will probably draw a few Conamara votes, hopefully stopping Ó Cuív from topping the poll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

In case anyone has any questions for himself.

The Political Discussion Society presents Eamon O Cuiv
    Time: 20:00 - 22:00
    Venue: Kirwan Theatre on Concourse, NUIG
    The Political Discussion Society presents Eamon O Cuiv at the Kirwan
    at 8pm on Monday. Mr O Cuiv will be discussing government policy and
    the upcoming election, and we urge you to come along to make your
    voice heard.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

PomBear wrote: »
    Despite doing sweet feck all!
    Isn't he the one responsible for the Anglicised Gaeltacht placenames being airbrushed off the signs in the city?

snubbleste wrote: »
    In case anyone has any questions for himself.

The Political Discussion Society presents Eamon O Cuiv
    Time: 20:00 - 22:00
    Venue: Kirwan Theatre on Concourse, NUIG
    The Political Discussion Society presents Eamon O Cuiv at the Kirwan
    at 8pm on Monday. Mr O Cuiv will be discussing government policy and
    the upcoming election, and we urge you to come along to make your
    voice heard.

Ó Cuív cancelled the event. Probably as he's more concerned with becoming FF leader.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lockstep wrote: »
    Ó Cuív cancelled the event. Probably as he's more concerned with becoming FF leader.

Poor Fella, being the Minister for the Department of Social Protection, the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government along with the Department of Defence can't be easy.
    He must be very capable altogether. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Poor Fella, being the Minister for the Department of Social Protection, the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government along with the Department of Defence can't be easy.

Indeed he must. However I would be concerned that if he has that Defence portfolio for long we will end up with a Naval base in Mannin Bay and a battalion of tanks in Casla.

Let us not overlook the very capable Pat Carey (good buddy of Pat Rabbitte) who is minister for the Gaeltacht, minister for Transport, and minister for Communications. Pat has also thrown his weight behind that bra burner Mary Hanafin as she bids to lead Fianna Fáil, for, in her words, 'mná na hÉiereann'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The last thing O Cuiv needs is to have a circus like the one Fahey organised last week reported all over the meeja tomorrow ....and with all due respect to the student society that would be the more likely outcome of that meet tonight going ahead. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Since we don't have a ULA candidate, I guess I'll have to go SF. The Finance Bill is an instrument of permanent slavery for Ireland, and all the rightwing parties (FF, FG, LA, GP) being so desperate to pass it should set off the alarm bells.
    Any chance of a ULA candidate by election time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 booksalot

Between the 5 Labour City Councillors, Catherine Connolly and Seosamh Ó Cuaig there's a sizable left vote in Galway West.

I'm backing Nolan. Met him a few times and he's always impressed me as a young, dynamic candidate. Plus his background in corporate law isn't something to be sniffed at in the current climate. He's getting my 1st vote.

Connolly will probably get my 2nd preference. She seems very capable but she comes across as too negative/anti everything for me to give her my first, now more than ever we need positive and proactive TDs. Plus, given that the next government is almost certainly going to be FG/Lab, the role of the Independant TD will be weakened.

3rd will probably go to Sinn Féin.
    4th to Ó Brolchain. I like the guy but I'm fairly pissed off with the Greens at the moment.
    After that, giving the votes to FG. Don't like any of the candidates but there's no way in hell I'm giving a vote to Fianna Fáil, regardless of how idolised Ó Cuív is in my neck of the woods.
    Nolan - What background in corporate law ? He was an apprentice solicitor for a few months and well short of qualifying. He was working for free not employed. A half qualified solicitor ! No offence.

Really pissed off with our choices in Galway West and their background
    O'Cuiv - career politician
    Fahy - Teacher
    Crowe - Property speculator
    Walsh - Developer/Anglo Manager
    Healy Eammes - Teacher
    Kyne - Farmer
    Hildergarde - Teacher
    Nolan - 1/2 solicitor
    Niall O'B - ?
    Connolly - solicitor
    Grealish - ?
    Mike Cuppard - office worker
    Joe McNamara - developer
    Welby - ?
    The only one with business acumen is IND Eammon Walsh

Sick of the country being run by teachers and solicitors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

But on an optimistic note, he now has 3 cars to ferry around the voters on polling day!

• Advertisement

No idea why people would want more lawyer and big business scam artists to "run" the country. Has anybody noticed the current crop of the same professions destroying the country?
    Please stop voting for rich people.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    He is getting there..as in fine tuning his manifeshto by the day Popey. :cool:

Now if he would just say that every long term transport plan for Galway City involves ruthlessly removing traffic from it ....meaning the bypass is item 1 above all other items ....I will start to consider that Derek has completed his necessary adjustment to reality. I suppose a letter to the Sentinel may be expected on Tuesday.

Oh and seeing as the Galway Labour manifeshto is being fine tuned by reference to the content of this thread I shortly expect him to come out strongly in favour of reopening Cuba with a right rawshus night of banging choons...Jeff Mills would be my preferred choice or Billy Nasty, get on the blower there Derek willya :)

whats all this about jeff mills banging out tunes been added to the labour manifesto :D - politics are changing faster than a flying potato these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

booksalot wrote: »

Sick of the country being run by teachers and solicitors

I agree completely, would love to be able to vote for a candidate who actually has a background in finance/economics or in be an expert in their particular field and would hope to be assigned to that area in government, such as healthcare, transport (an engineer perhaps), environment (a scientist maybe!) etc.

I'm sick of the constant stream of idiots who claim their time spent in politics is vast experience. I'd rather some actual experience, in a real job, I certainly won't be voting for any of the teachers or lawyers!

booksalot wrote: »
    Nolan - What background in corporate law ? He was an apprentice solicitor for a few months and well short of qualifying. He was working for free not employed. A half qualified solicitor ! No offence.

He has a degree in corporate law (along with his LLB qualification). Corporate law isn't a profession in the same way that a solicitor or a barrister is so I meant his corporate law degree. Also he spent a few years working as a credit analyst in a German financial company, as well as working as a manager for Thermo King when he was running for the City Council so I'd imagine he has a fair knowledge of business.

Also, just to correct you; Connoly is a barrister, not a solicitor.

Just had Mike Cubbard to my door.
    His flyer (and he himself) says NO MORE BAILOUTS, so he's got me hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

He has a degree in corporate law (along with his LLB qualification). Corporate law isn't a profession in the same way that a solicitor or a barrister is so I meant his corporate law degree. Also he spent a few years working as a credit analyst in a German financial company, as well as working as a manager for Thermo King when he was running for the City Council so I'd imagine he has a fair knowledge of business.

Also, just to correct you; Connoly is a barrister, not a solicitor.

You seem to have no idea about the necessary qualifications to practise law in Ireland or elsewhere. Without wanting to cross threads/boards I noticed you giving career advice in this area over on the NUIG forum while displaying an alarming lack of knowledge on the topic. Less ill informed tripe delivered with a snooty air please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mike Cubbard

Too right Dan.

Why should we continue to pay because of developers and speculators bad gambling. It's a joke it's gone this far even.

We are going to end up crippling generations to come. What makes me sick is the majority of those who made these reckless decisions are now retiring into massive pensions without a care in the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Just had Mike Cubbard to my door.
    His flyer (and he himself) says NO MORE BAILOUTS, so he's got me hooked.

Hmmmm interesting, but many of the parties don't want bailouts, it's who you can trust to default, for me, it's SF and Trevor Ó Clochartaigh.

PomBear wrote: »
    Hmmmm interesting, but many of the parties don't want bailouts
    I think I can name about 4 parties who seem to like them pretty much...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I think I can name about 4 parties who seem to like them pretty much...

True, and they say different. Don't seem to have the backbone to oppose them 100%.

Unfortunately they have people fooled into believing them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Too right Dan.

Why should we continue to pay because of developers and speculators bad gambling. It's a joke it's gone this far even.

We are going to end up crippling generations to come. What makes me sick is the majority of those who made these reckless decisions are now retiring into massive pensions without a care in the world...
    Great sentiments, have you got an alternate plan? Not snipping by the way, I'm genuinely curious.

yeehaw wrote: »
    You seem to have no idea about the necessary qualifications to practise law in Ireland or elsewhere. Without wanting to cross threads/boards I noticed you giving career advice in this area over on the NUIG forum while displaying an alarming lack of knowledge on the topic. Less ill informed tripe delivered with a snooty air please.
    You mean the thread where you assumed that practicing law refers only to solicitors (you ignored the fact that I was referring to lawyers in general, which includes barristers)?
    I've since corrected you on your points in the relevant thread , feel free to respond as appropriate.

If you politely corrected me on a perceived mistake, that's sound, we all make mistakes. However, it is quite bizarre that you rudely tell me off for being 'snooty' and showing a lack of knowledge (while being insulting and ill informed yourself), when you are assuming that lawyers=solicitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Great sentiments, have you got an alternate plan? Not snipping by the way, I'm genuinely curious.

sorry to butt in but there is ALWAYS an alternative plan - the thing is, they don't mention it because they don't want you to know about it. Look back and what they did to us over the past couple of years. They don't have your interests at heart - they will walk away with fat bank balances and you won't ever see any one of them struggling, believe me.

We should never bow down to the ramblings of this lot - we should oppose them at every turn - and we should grow a pair and tell them to get lost. At the moment we are a nation without a backbone.

I also find it surprising that lots of people are against Catherine Connolly - if people actually saw this lady in action, they would think differently - she has a crowd of "boys" attacking her at every turn - why? because she tells it like it is - if it was not for her there would be nobody that I can see to speak up for the local people. Yes, she can be negative, but that is just a result of what the others are trying to pass off as good ideas. She's a thorn in the "little boy's" sides up there and long may she be there. She puts them all to shame. It's people like her that ye should be getting behind, not the three piece suit brigade who will promise you the moon and walk away with amnesia.

sorry to butt in but there is ALWAYS an alternative plan - the thing is, they don't mention it because they don't want you to know about it.
    Some of the most brilliant economic minds in Ireland and elsewhere have been very publicly putting forth alternate plans from day one, what I'd like to know is what plan does Mike Cubbard have, and how does he intend to enact that plan as an independent.

ANYONE can say boo, damn the developers and the bankers and the dirty politicians, great, but that's just populist rabble rousing unless you have a practical plan to deal with the problems.

So Mr. Cubbard, what's the plan?

Incidentally I respect Catherine Connolly, she usually seems to have her head screwed on, maybe some people say she's too negative but its about time someone said no to something in this country. However if she would like to maximise her potential, it would be great if she could come in here and let people speak to her as well. I strongly encourage all public representatives to stay in contact with the public, and no better medium than this.

i would be more interested in Mike Cubbard and others, sticking to the local issues, which seems to be getting swept under the carpet while everyone is worrying about bailing out the bondholders. I would like to know myself, what is is "local" agenda about, and who or what in particular he will devote his time to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

Is Declan Ganley Running?

i would be more interested in Mike Cubbard and others, sticking to the local issues, which seems to be getting swept under the carpet while everyone is worrying about bailing out the bondholders.
    Again without being snippy, to hell with the local agenda. You have local elections to deal with the local issues. A TD must focus on the national issues - it's the myopia around the parish pump that has landed us in this mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Again without being snippy, to hell with the local agenda. You have local elections to deal with the local issues. A TD must focus on the national issues - it's the myopia around the parish pump that has landed us in this mess.

Pity nobody told Joan Burton about the big picture before she appeared on Vincent Browne last night :D

Some of the most brilliant economic minds in Ireland and elsewhere have been very publicly putting forth alternate plans from day one
    If they have, they don't work for FF, FG, Lab or the GP. They all have exactly the same "permanent economic slavery" fiscal model.

• Advertisement

and without being snippy either but that is exceptionally naive to think that. ALL politics is local. National Issues ARE Local Issues.

Advertisement