Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

no need to shout eagle. typing in regular post will suffice.

again, what you "perceive" to be "what you see" is only your "opinion" on what you see. I suggest you find out the policies that are in place before you say you know what you are talking about. Its obvious you don't/

What is your problem? do you enjoy upsetting people?
    If you were beside me know I woulds scream in to your face, more often than not you challenge me and others on our posts simply because you disagree.

What I see and you think I percieve is a big jumble in your head.

Yes I do know what I'm talking about I see it every day.

Deliver the facts to prove me wrong or these policies you speak about otherwise dont bother.

Any party that has social housng as a priority is not getting a vote from me the tax payer carrying the burden of 5000 more social homes in galway is outrages!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Am I missing something? Did Nolan not state in that letter that the bypass was a central part of Labour policy? In fact wasn't it the *only* proposal that was given this privileged position? Doesn't that elevate it above all other proposals? Isn't that exactly what you want?

*confused*

It is stated in a personal letter to the Independent and Advertiser. It is not in any published party policy .....yet.

I therefore challenge Nolan to ensure it is published and that it is in an agreed programme for government thereafter.

There are some vocal opponents of the bypass within Labour, particularly Connolly and Cameron and Costello.

Nolan is the so far only Galway Labour person other than McNelis who ever supported it, but that was rather pointless because

a) he basically supports absolutely everything to do with transport in his letters and is not going to get all of that sorted in the next Dáil.
    b) we have not heard from councillors (Colette) Connolly Cameron and Costello yet.

Niall McNelis is in favour of the bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

eagle10 wrote: »
    You have not read the posts correctly.

People that work earning €30k a year get a house why? Sureley the have the means to put a roof over their own head.

People that do nothing but waste around pubs and bookies all day get a house. These people I'm sure do not have the means to put a roof over their own head however they have money for these other lets call them luxeries, but did it ever cross their mind to pay for their own accomidation? I doubt it why would they bother when they are quite happy for someone like me to be paying their way.

The system is abused Fact.
    My posts are Fact.

I dont know the policies I dont claim to know the policies, but I do know what I see and I hate it and you dont dare tell me it's not true because it is.

Social housing should be for people who genuinley can not provide themselves with a safe living envoirment, not for people looking for the easy way out, which many do FACT do not tell me otherwise.

herrein lies your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Aunty Catherine (she's anti- everything isn't she!?) is no longer a member of the Labour Party as far as I know, do they allow outsiders to form their policy (apart from your good self, of course)?

Edit - sorry I see you meant her sister! Personally I'd go by what the candidate is saying, ultimately it's him that would be given the mandate, and him who would be voting as part of the parliamentary party.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is stated in a personal letter to the Independent and Advertiser. It is not in any published party policy .....yet.

I therefore challenge Nolan to ensure it is published and that it is in an agreed programme for government thereafter.

There are some vocal opponents of the bypass within Labour, particularly Connolly and Cameron and Costello.

Nolan is the so far only Galway Labour person other than McNelis who ever supported it, but that was rather pointless because

a) he basically supports absolutely everything to do with transport in his letters and is not going to get all of that sorted in the next Dáil.
    b) we have not heard from councillors (Colette) Connolly Cameron and Costello yet.

Niall McNelis is in favour of the bypass.

Aunty Catherine

Sister Collette :)

• Advertisement

herrein lies your problem.

Is that so?

Very weak reply with no substance.

You have yet come forward with policies.

I have voiced my opinion which is based on fact!!!!!

However you failed to disprove any of them.

Usaully you are a very tenacious poster but you seem to be letting this go, I can only guess that you know what I am stating is true and you would find it very hard to prove otherwise.

You wont even agree that social housing is abused and majority of the people would agree that it is, this proves to me that you are a tunnell visioned person who always has to have the last word totally disregarding everyones view just to ram your own across.

Good day to you sir!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Edit - sorry I see you meant her sister! Personally I'd go by what the candidate is saying, ultimately it's him that would be given the mandate, and him who would be voting as part of the parliamentary party.

Under the party system, the candidate has no option except to tow the party line, regardless, unless they quit. Does'nt matter what promises he gave to constituents. When you vote for a candidate, you are voting for the party manifesto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

eagle10 wrote: »
    Is that so?

Very weak reply with no substance.

You have yet come forward with policies.

I have voiced my opinion which is based on fact!!!!!

However you failed to disprove any of them.

Usaully you are a very tenacious poster but you seem to be letting this go, I can only guess that you know what I am stating is true and you would find it very hard to prove otherwise.

You wont even agree that social housing is abused and majority of the people would agree that it is, this proves to me that you are a tunnell visioned person who always has to have the last word totally disregarding everyones view just to ram your own across.

Good day to you sir!

good day, and good luck with your "facts" :D

snubbleste wrote: »
    Under the party system, the candidate has no option except to tow the party line, regardless, unless they quit. Does'nt matter what promises he gave to constituents. When you vote for a candidate, you are voting for the party manifesto.

I understand that completely, but who will have more influence in drafting the manifesto, an actual candidate/td, or some councillor who's sister stormed out of the party in a huff?

We won't really know that till the Gilmore shows up in Galway and states it unequivocally.

Then we need the Kenny to say the exact same thing on his visit to Galway.

From there the next step is to include it in the Programme for Government that is agreed in advance by coalition partners in Ireland.

Then we are getting somewhere.

• Advertisement

Where are your facts oh I forgot post after post you have never produced them.

Maybe this topic is just too close to home for you?

Must you always have the last word?

Again, Weak response.

Quid pro quo.

Good day to you sir:D

We won't really know that till the Gilmore shows up in Galway and states it unequivocally.

Then we need the Kenny to say the exact same thing on his visit to Galway.

From there the next step is to include it in the Programme for Government that is agreed in advance by coalition partners in Ireland.

Then we are getting somewhere.

I don't know if there's going to be an agreed programme for government between FG and Lab, I think they might run on separate platforms?

Out of curiosity, has it been part of the program for government in the previous and next to previous governments? Fahy is all for it, no? It didn't seem to help it get built anyway.

Bypassing Claregalway by 2012 was part of the 2007 Programme for Government ( page 12). That Programme was revisited in 2009, no copy to hand.

I think the Galway Bypass is included as the end of the N6 project. I am stating that because of Labours dismal history in Galway there will have to be an explicit agreement to build the bypass in the NEXT programme for government which will be agreed AFTER the election.

Between now and the election both FG and Labour should have it in their manifestos...otherwise Nolan could fairly be accused of speaking with forked tongue. I believe FG will include it.

Naturally I will await publication of the FG and Labour manifestos and will report back here if the "central plank" referred to by Nolan is not in the Labour manifesto....and equally so if the FG manifesto fails to include it.

Councillor Tommy Welby from Oughterard has also declared he is running , he topped the poll in Connemara in the last local elections.

Councillor Tommy Welby from Oughterard has also declared he is running , he topped the poll in Connemara in the last local elections.

Is he the one that looks like Hitler?

Anyone seen any election posters up yet?

Is he the one that looks like Hitler?
    That would be Séamus Walsh an FFer who made the papers last summer...and yes the H word was mentioned by Séamus Walsh Himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

in yesterday's advertiser

link: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/35446

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

The facts are that social welfare is abused wholesale in this country but you seem to be of the opinion that everyone on the social housing list is legit.

It's also fact that a couple earning up to 75k could be classed as eligible to get an "affordable" house. This is enough to tell me that social welfare qualifying criteria is a load of cods wallop

The facts are that social welfare is abused wholesale in this country but you seem to be of the opinion that everyone on the social housing list is legit.

It's also fact that a couple earning up to 75k could be classed as eligible to get an "affordable" house. This is enough to tell me that social welfare qualifying criteria is a load of cods wallop

+1

IMO there is no way that Ireland can sustain itself the way things are.

Any party or individual that is focusing on housing is way off the mark and will not be getting a vote for me and the FACT that the system is abused really sickens me.

Taken from Galway city council housing page.

"The Housing Section aims to help people find suitable accommodation at a price or rent that is affordable to those that are not in a position to get accommodation from their own resources."

"Gross combined income in last tax year did not exceed €45,000. Where an applicant is earning less than this but is deemed, following assessment, to be able to provide housing from their own resources their file may be referred to the affordable housing section".

"
    Rents are determined on the basis of assessable income.
    Assessable Weekly Income of Principal Earner Rent Payable Up to €49 nil Over €49 20% of additional excess of €49 For each Subsidary Earner in the Household 12.5% of their net income is added to the rent up to a maximun of €50 for each Subsidary Earner."
    Answer me this dolphin city like I stated before my colleauges on better money than me avail of social housing?
    When I can afford a mortgage with my gf. How is this so?

How do people that cant get work or chose not to work avail of social housing, but seem to have nice cars,lovely flashy tracksuits and runners, all day in pub, bookies etc. FACT!

I have just been informed by a friend that 2 single men they know have been "given" social houses FACT! Is this not wastefull?
    Surely a social apartment would be suffice?

€45k gross per couple thats €900 a week or €450 each not to shabby.

Surely a couple with that combined income could pay their own way?
    I know couples with one or two kids plus a motrgage earning less than that FACT!

Looking at those figures if a 1 person is netting €400 and after groceries and whatever necessities they may have to pay if they are left with €200 disposeable income it would only cost them €40 a week to be socially housed.
    And it gets better if you have dependants!

It seems a bit soft dont you think?

So Catherine Connolly or anyone else that wants to get into the dail and build more of these houses allover the country(5000 in Galway) Can fcuk right off.

Things are bad enough Ireland cant afford any more of this.

I would love to see figure of how much social housing is acctually costing the state each year I'd guess it's a hell of a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Robbo wrote: »
    Any word on Amhran Nua fielding a candidate in Galway West? I gather that a couple of their more active members are from this part of the world.
    Hello Robbo, it unfortunately does not look likely that we'll be putting anyone out there for this election, we've plenty of internet/postal/phone support but too few willing feet on the ground. If you're not a subscriber to one of the many faces of the far left or an already established politician who has been trading favours for twenty years, its pretty difficult to get people motivated, although once the budget starts kicking in that may change. Also, don't leap for the throat if one of our guys calls to your doorstep, we're not part of the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

LOL, love the new username since last night Kicks. It has a certain teutonic solidity to it.
    It's less unwieldy than KOTJ which is a nice bonus.
    But trying to damn me with tea party analogies ain't gonna work, sorry. Nice try though.
    I wasn't trying to 'damn' you. I was merely commenting on the Tea Party esque method of painting opponents with terms like "Latté liberal". Although the likes of Anne Coulter prefer terms like 'Manhattan liberals'. Either way, I was commenting on your accusations/stereotyping. You don't appear unreasonable enough to be in the Tea Party.
    I was only commenting on the fact that a voter cohort exists in Galway and that 'appealing' to this voter cohort is a rather complex task...one that seems to me to be beyond the ken of the modern Labour Party anyway. :D
    Yes, and you were bringing in terms like 'metrosexuals' in a way that couldn't be percieved as anything but an insult.
    There *is* a middle class-liberal vote in Galway West, though they would be more likely to go for Connolly or Ó Brollchain over Nolan.
    I am missing nothing bar in that that I have explained how the circle can be broken...unlike Derek did ...or indeed you.

The only way to improve traffic in Galway is to take it out. We have a network of boreens around a Medieval centre. We need to ruthlessly de-car the centre in order to improve multimodal outcomes. Then we can work on building the future transport networks we need.

Therefore everything starts with and follows on from a bypass, end of.

The idea that one can dig up Galway to put a Gluas tram network in, absent a bypass to free the roadspace up for the tram network, is utterly risible.
    No my friend, you were hanging rigidly to the notion that the bypass is capable of almost single-handedly fixing the problem. I fully agree that the bypass is needed to ease congestion within the city, especially as it hurts the likes of Conamara and backsup the city. However, something else is urgently needed to help internal city congestion. There are incredible problems in the likes of Knocknacarra and Westside (I can't comment on the East side of the city as I only go there well after rush hour) which would still be there even if the bypass was there. A Gluas or an easing of congestion would be a big help but likewise, their no help on their own. An integrated approach to the traffic problem is what is needed.
    Other than that I'll just wait for his next letter like I said I would ......if you don't mind awfully. I am sure one will be along shortly. :cool:

TTFN

SB
    And I look forward to seeing your response.:)

TTFN
    KOTJ/Lockstep.

Lockstep wrote: »

And I look forward to seeing your response.:)

TTFN

You will no doubt be delighted to hear that FHR has held out her warm and inclusive embrace to precisely the demographic I referred to.

Ó Cuív puts his name forward for the leadership of FF..shure isn't he great altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Ó Cuív puts his name forward for the leadership of FF..shure isn't he great altogether.

That guy can seemingly do no wrong with the connemara folk. What is it with him? Dev óg?

That guy can seemingly do no wrong with the connemara folk. What is it with him? Dev óg?

He knows how to get votes, very hands-on and active in his constituency, unlike some others. He was the minister for the gaeltacht for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

He knows how to get votes, very hands-on and active in his constituency, unlike some others. He was the minister for the gaeltacht for a very long time.

He seems to have escaped being tarred with the FF brush. No mean feat.

Despite doing sweet feck all!

Sinn Féin's selection convention is on in the Menlo Park @ 5 tomorrow (Sunday) by the way.

• Advertisement

PomBear wrote: »
    Sinn Féin's selection convention is on in the Menlo Park @ 5 tomorrow (Sunday) by the way.

Trevor Ó Clochartaigh was selected as their sole candidate. Can't see him getting a seat somehow.

Advertisement