Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West General Election

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

PomBear wrote: »
    Since then he's been running Gaelsceal, a national Irish Language paper, given free with the indo and has gotten big respect for it.

Also, i'd imagine he'll do well with disillusioned FFers in conemara, very few off the candidates are based in conemara like him also
    Isn't it Foinse that's free with the Indo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Robbo wrote: »
    Isn't it Foinse that's free with the Indo?

I said that, re read post.

Was sold independently at first

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I said that, re read post.

Was sold independently at first
    I didn't realise Gaelsceal came with the Indo as well. Good to see such a thriving publishing industry out in the wilds of Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Robbo wrote: »
    I didn't realise Gaelsceal came with the Indo as well. Good to see such a thriving publishing industry out in the wilds of Connemara.

Gaelsceal isnt free. And the Connaught Tribune own it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mike Cubbard

Hi everyone !

Just reading some of the posts and yes, I am fully supportive of the Outer Bypass. As has been mentioned, it's absolutly crucial for Galway City.

I can see the candidate's who apose the bypass coming out in support closer to polling day in order to try muster up a few votes !

Feel free to visit www.mikecubbard.net

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hi everyone !

Just reading some of the posts and yes, I am fully supportive of the Outer Bypass.

OMG :eek: OMG :eek: OMG :eek: A CANDIDATE :eek: Now the thread gets really serious!

Where are Frankeen and Brian Walsh when Sponge Bob feels the need :D

Gaelsceal isnt free. And the Connaught Tribune own it.

It comes free with the Irish Independent or atleast did for awhile, before that it was sold for €2 i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

It comes free with the Irish Independent or atleast did for awhile, before that it was sold for €2 i believe

Nah, Foinse is free with the Indo. You have to pay for Gaelsceal.

http://www.insideireland.ie/index.cfm/section/news/ext/gaelsceal001/

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irish-independent-to-distribute-foinse-ireland-rsquos-biggest-irish-language-newspaper-1943796.html

Also, good to see a candidate with the balls to post here. Hopefully the others will follow suit. And not anonymously!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    OMG :eek: OMG :eek: OMG :eek: A CANDIDATE :eek: Now the thread gets really serious!

Where are Frankeen and Brian Walsh when Sponge Bob feels the need :D

Brian Walsh = yeehaw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Between the 5 Labour City Councillors, Catherine Connolly and Seosamh Ó Cuaig there's a sizable left vote in Galway West.

I'm backing Nolan. Met him a few times and he's always impressed me as a young, dynamic candidate. Plus his background in corporate law isn't something to be sniffed at in the current climate. He's getting my 1st vote.

Connolly will probably get my 2nd preference. She seems very capable but she comes across as too negative/anti everything for me to give her my first, now more than ever we need positive and proactive TDs. Plus, given that the next government is almost certainly going to be FG/Lab, the role of the Independant TD will be weakened.

3rd will probably go to Sinn Féin.
    4th to Ó Brolchain. I like the guy but I'm fairly pissed off with the Greens at the moment.
    After that, giving the votes to FG. Don't like any of the candidates but there's no way in hell I'm giving a vote to Fianna Fáil, regardless of how idolised Ó Cuív is in my neck of the woods.

• Advertisement

Nah, Foinse is free with the Indo. You have to pay for Gaelsceal.

http://www.insideireland.ie/index.cfm/section/news/ext/gaelsceal001/

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irish-independent-to-distribute-foinse-ireland-rsquos-biggest-irish-language-newspaper-1943796.html

Also, good to see a candidate with the balls to post here. Hopefully the others will follow suit. And not anonymously!

complete mix up! you're right!

Hi everyone !

Just reading some of the posts and yes, I am fully supportive of the Outer Bypass. As has been mentioned, it's absolutly crucial for Galway City.

I can see the candidate's who apose the bypass coming out in support closer to polling day in order to try muster up a few votes !

Mike

Bit disrespectful to such a highly controversial issue, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mike Cubbard

How do you mean dis-respectful and controversial ?

I'm only saying that if had indication that those opposing the bypass will be coming out in support of it now. If this is the case it would be most welcome and great for the progression of the project...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭baldbear

What happened tonight at Frank Fahy's meet? I see on politics.ie Anglo man had a few words and Frank made a quick exit!

hope a camera got some footage...

baldbear wrote: »
    What happened tonight at Frank Fahy's meet? I see on politics.ie Anglo man had a few words and Frank made a quick exit!

hope a camera got some footage...

I was there! there were plenty of cameras so there'll be footage soon i'm sure.

Copying and pasting my version of events from the Fahey thread here

Was very evident at the start FF had packed their members in, maybe to reaffirm support of those disillusioned?

Basically Frank Fahey gave his two cents first, reaffirmed his support of FF.

Ahearne gave a VERY long speal about how the four year plan is working, we're turning a corner, yada yada yada. Was pure BS! ALOT of heckling because of his lies.

Then questions and answers happened, some very tame questions (might have been from FF supporters, could be wrong!) and when real questions were asked, alot of heckling from FF support, but Fahey and Ahearne tried to answer with poor rambling wishy washy answers and the non-FF public got angered to the point that they (I think FEE (Free education for everyone initiated)) and walked out shouting abuse on the way and rightfully so and that ended the meeting, didn't see the McNamara guy myself as I had already walked out.

How do you mean dis-respectful and controversial ?

I'm only saying that if had indication that those opposing the bypass will be coming out in support of it now. If this is the case it would be most welcome and great for the progression of the project...

i'm just saying (while I don't think it's a generl election voting issue btw), that those who oppose it have legitimate reasons for doing so like those who support it too and I think respect to their concerns is needed if a sound resolution and and conclusion is reached, do you not think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This photogenic guy announced his intention to run last night. Shame he is a property developer though

joe-mcnamara.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Some photos from the Fahey meeting:

164323_171270296250438_100001024054243_380177_4808412_n.jpg

167636_171270522917082_100001024054243_380178_6595897_n.jpg

164892_171270629583738_100001024054243_380179_1868309_n.jpg

167811_171271156250352_100001024054243_380182_2988089_n.jpg

Mass walkout
    179687_171271672916967_100001024054243_380184_2181041_n.jpg

Protestors
    167056_171272102916924_100001024054243_380186_2921292_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

Just saw this on Galwaynews, maybe its of interest to the folks on this thread:
    RENMORE PUBLIC MEETING ON POLITICAL REFORM

January 19, 2011 - 11:17am
    RENMORE PUBLIC MEETING ON POLITICAL REFORM

A public meeting about political reform will take place in the city tonight.
    The meeting will be hosted by Second Republic, a non-aligned movement, campaigning for political and constitutional reforms.
    The meeting will take place at 7 o' clock this evening in Flannery's Hotel in Renmore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

snubbleste wrote: »
    This photogenic guy announced his intention to run last night. Shame he is a property developer though

joe-mcnamara.jpg
    yeah, the clown "challenged" frank fahy by saying he would run against him as an independant
    he's just a disgruntled property developer that contributed to this mess and is now whinging because it all went tits up:rolleyes:

catherine connolly wants 5000 more homes for social housing which is something I strongly oppose but I must say she seems like a decent candicate overall

frank fahy has to go, the corrupt little weasel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

magentas wrote: »
    yeah, the clown "challenged" frank fahy by saying he would run against him as an independant
    he's just a disgruntled property developer that contributed to this mess and is now whinging because it all went tits up:rolleyes:

catherine connolly wants 5000 more homes for social housing which is something I strongly oppose but I must say she seems like a decent candicate overall

frank fahy has to go, the corrupt little weasel

why would you oppose housing for people - where are they supposed to live. Or would you rather FF's idea of these people "renting" private landlords houses to pay off their mortgages for them and when they have that done, they can go back on the streets again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

magentas wrote: »

Did she give any indication as to how she wanted to provide these 5,000 homes? Seems like a promise she won't be able to fulfil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Predalien wrote: »
    Did she give any indication as to how she wanted to provide these 5,000 homes? Seems like a promise she won't be able to fulfil.

It's not a promise, it's a desire, something to fight for.
    You can always drop an email and ask her.

As regards Trucker guy - the more candidates, the more choice, the better for the electorate.

GOOD NEWS. Derek Nolan or one of his handlers read Boards :D

We discussed the candidates who oppose the Galway Bypass last week in this thread and one of the Bypass opponents was Derek Nolan .......but then either Nolan or one of his handlers must have read this thread :)

It may just be that the handler ( or Nolan) wants to differntiate their candidate from the Connolly sisters who are virulently anti bypass.

Maybe Derek lost half a days canvassing and copped himself on.

Anyway this is what I said about him in this thread last week.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Derek Nolan is no better may I add. There is no SPACE to improve public transport UNTIL the bypass is built no matter how much wind and piss Connolly and Nolan spout on the matter. :( The worst of all is the other C Connolly

http://www.galwayindependent.com/profiles/profiles/derek-nolan-%11-incoming-city-councillor/
    Much to meh surprise, or maybe not, today I sees this letter in the Galway Independent today, from none other than Derek Nolan. :D
    The outer bypass therefore has become central and will form part of Labour’s transport plan for Galway.
    Derek is not promising it will be in a labour programme for government, unlike Noel Grealish who got the Claregalway Bypass past the greens into the 2007 programme for government. But this is a promising change of direction for Derek, whatever about some of his labour colleagues.

It is also a useless promise until Gilmore guarantees that Labour will put it into their national manifesto and into programme for government....both.
    With a history of knee jerk short term opposition behind the Galway Labour party Derek has to go over and beyond in this case to ensure that he is in any way credible on the Galway Bypass....even if todays letter to the Galway Independent was the beginning of a sensible u-turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

why would you oppose housing for people - where are they supposed to live. Or would you rather FF's idea of these people "renting" private landlords houses to pay off their mortgages for them and when they have that done, they can go back on the streets again?

Let them buy a house or pay rent for one.

Why do people feel everything should be laid on for them?

Why should my tax and levies be paying to keep some waster that never bothered their arse to work even during the "Good times"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

eagle10 wrote: »

Why should my tax and levies be paying to keep some waster that never bothered their arse to work even during the "Good times"
    I'll second that, the idea that someone else would ever pay for my accommodation is something I have never contemplated. I understand that there are hard cases out there but there's an awful lot that get houses for free for stupid reasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

No Eagle10, the current zeitgeist is that everybody should get everything unconditionally free and that nobody should have to pay for anything.

Old fashioned notions about paying your way are history - check any election manifesto shortly available from any pol claiming to be left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

nuac wrote: »
    No Eagle10, the current zeitgeist is that everybody should get everything unconditionally free and that nobody should have to pay for anything.

Old fashioned notions about paying your way are history - check any election manifesto shortly available from any pol claiming to be left wing.

Sarcastic wit I love it!
    :DI must be me old fashioned!

Catherine Connollys 'logic' can usually be defeated with basic arithmetic :D

1. The Mutton Island Sewage Plant is maxed out. No new housing can be built in Galway until more Plant is Built in Mutton Island. Catherine wants to Grow Vegetables on Mutton Island.

2. Therefore 5000 houses can not be built seeing as there is nowhere to send the <cough> 'Organic Waste'

3. Consequently we need to find 5000 houses that already exist. Sadly we cannot really find them unless we indulge in mass evictions a la the Land Wars of the 19th Century. Of the c. 20-30k existing homes in Galway City only around 3k are empty right now...at most.

4. Finally the only way to start to look at the POSSIBILITY of provisioning 1000's of new homes in Galway is to STATE that the upgrade of Mutton Island must take place first. Permanimby Catherine will not say that seeing as she is looking for a scutch of votes in the Claddagh.

Maybe Nolan will show some courage on Mutton Island :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

eagle10 wrote: »

eagle I would advise that you educate yourself on the "social housing" situation at the minute - by your post above you seem to think that the only people on this list are people who sit on their backsides all day every day - the reality of it will surprise you. Its obvious you don't know a thing about the housing situation with your post above. same goes for the following posts after your own.

Advertisement