Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West General Election

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    What? He's running for election, I want to know his policies and how he means to achieve them as an independent.

Well there might be a small problem with www.mikecubbard.com but once he fixes that he'll be grand :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

What? He's running for election, I want to know his policies and how he means to achieve them as an independent.
    What do you want, a speech on every single thing he thinks? Why don't you ask him? It worked for me.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Well there might be a small problem with www.mikecubbard.com but once he fixes that he'll be grand :D
    Haha, I'm starting to sound like a canvasser, but http://mikecubbard.net/index.html

dilallio wrote: »

Original Mulholland Odds ( Latest in Bold)

Ó Cuív 1/16 1/12
    Grealish 1/10 2/5
    B Walsh 1/5 1/3
    Healy Eames 2/7 1/4
    Connolly 8/13 4/7
    Nolan Evens 1/3
    Crowe 5/2 5/2
    Fahey 3/1 5/2
    Naughton 6/1 3/1
    Kyne 6/1 5/1
    E Walsh 20/1 6/1
    O Brolchain 25/1 16/1

New odds

Mike Cubbard 25/1
    Trevor Ó Clochartaigh 20/1
    Joe McNamara 20/1
    Tommy Welby 20/1

Paddypower are also offering the following

Eamonn O'Cuiv 1/10
    Frank Fahey 8/13
    Niall O'Brolchain 8/1
    Derek Nolan (Lab) 1/4
    Brian Walsh 8/13
    Trevor O'Clochartaigh 10/1
    Fidelma Healey-Elmes 2/7
    Hildegarde Naughton 2/1
    Joe McNamara (Ind) 25/1
    Noel Grealish 1/2
    Michael Crowe (FF) 7/2
    Mike Cubbard (Ind) 33/1
    Catherine Connolly 1/2
    Sean Kyne (FG) 5/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    What do you want, a speech on every single thing he thinks? Why don't you ask him?
    I did, now I'm waiting for an answer. Is there some problem with an aspiring public representative answering public questions publicly? I can't imagine voting for someone who couldn't manage that much, and I don't think anyone else would either. Since he opened a thread earlier soliciting public questions before it got locked, I'd say he can manage it just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I give up.

Awaiting a reply from Mr. Cubbard.

:D

I did, now I'm waiting for an answer. Is there some problem with an aspiring public representative answering public questions publicly? I can't imagine voting for someone who couldn't manage that much, and I don't think anyone else would either. Since he opened a thread earlier soliciting public questions before it got locked, I'd say he can manage it just fine.
    Er, if it got locked maybe he prefers not to bother? If I was working on getting votes I wouldn't be killing myself on here to be honest. Bit set in their ways we are.
    Why don't you mail him your question? You can tell everyone what he said afterwards if you're so certain the public are demanding to know his opinion.

He sent a letter to the Galway Indo today repeating what was already said weeks ago in this forum.

I spotted a glaring mistake in his letter :D
    "When I was first elected to the Seanad just over a year ago, I was surprised to discover that"

I was surprised too (
    He was NOMINATED not elected

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Now that we have a dedicated Election forum I'm moving this thread.
    Do take a minute to read their charter and read some of the other threads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

We must to be able to export our way out of trouble, Galway exports the best part of €10m a day worth of medical devices alone and they were not ferried out of the country by the tooth fairy last time I looked :(

How many millions of that €10 million are shipped from plants that are on the West side of the Corrib? Or are you suggesting that they are shipped from Rosaveal and there's a bit of hassle getting them from Parkmore to the Mairtín Maic to share the hold with herring?

By-pass is a local issue. Its a glorified pothole. Vote on national issues in national elections. The root of our troubles is national politicians being fixated on keeping the locals - their circle of contacts and (sometimes) the electorate sweet with goodies.

PomBear talks sense. Except for the bit about voting SF. That's a silly thing for someone who is obviously able to think to do. They are taking a contrarian stance for cynical electoral reasons. Its all about squeezing Labour and nothing more.

• Advertisement

Original Mulholland Odds ( Latest in Bold)

Ó Cuív 1/16 1/12
    Grealish 1/10 2/5
    B Walsh 1/5 1/3
    Healy Eames 2/7 1/4
    Connolly 8/13 4/7
    Nolan Evens 1/3
    Crowe 5/2 5/2
    Fahey 3/1 5/2
    Naughton 6/1 3/1
    Kyne 6/1 5/1
    E Walsh 20/1 6/1
    O Brolchain 25/1 16/1

New odds

Mike Cubbard 25/1
    Trevor Ó Clochartaigh 20/1
    Joe McNamara 20/1
    Tommy Welby 20/1

Eamonn O'Cuiv 1/10
    Frank Fahey 8/13
    Niall O'Brolchain 8/1
    Derek Nolan (Lab) 1/4
    Brian Walsh 8/13
    Trevor O'Clochartaigh 10/1
    Fidelma Healey-Elmes 2/7
    Hildegarde Naughton 2/1
    Joe McNamara (Ind) 25/1
    Noel Grealish 1/2
    Michael Crowe (FF) 7/2
    Mike Cubbard (Ind) 33/1
    Catherine Connolly 1/2
    Sean Kyne (FG) 5/1

Changes on Paddypower Since 25/1

Eamonn O'Cuiv 1/10 1/16
    Frank Fahey 8/13 4/5
    Niall O'Brolchain 8/1
    Derek Nolan (Lab) 1/4 4/9
    Brian Walsh 8/13 2/5
    Trevor O'Clochartaigh 10/1 12/1
    Fidelma Healy-Elmes 2/7 2/5
    Hildegarde Naughton 2/1 13/8
    Joe McNamara (Ind) 25/1
    Noel Grealish 1/2 8/15
    Michael Crowe (FF) 7/2
    Mike Cubbard (Ind) 33/1
    Catherine Connolly 1/2 4/11
    Sean Kyne (FG) 5/1

Added Eamon Walsh 20/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 booksalot

I'd like to know all their policies. I'd also like to know thier personnal life and work experiences. I'd also like to know their personnal circumstances. It's imprortant to to me if they have a mortgage or how many properties they have. It's important to me if they have dependents. It's important to me what formal education they have. This may seem silly but I don't want to vote for some old batchelor who inherited his fathers farm or some young single person who is renting a flat or worse still living with mammy and daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Boylesports odds for the candidates:

1/12-Eamonn O’Cuiv (FF)
    1/4-Fidelma Healy-Eames (FG)
    1/4-Derek Nolan (Lab)
    1/2-Brian Walsh (FG)
    1/2-Noel Grealish (Ind)
    1/2-Catherine Connolly (Ind)
    11/10-Frank Fahey (FF)
    3/1-Michael Crowe (FF)
    3/1-Hildegarde Naughten (FG)
    4/1-Sean Kyne (FG)
    6/1-Eamon Walsh (Ind)
    14/1-Trevor Ó Clochartaigh (SF)
    16/1-Niall Ó Brolcháin (GP)
    20/1-Joe Mcnamara (Ind)
    25/1-Mike Cubbard (Ind)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

To all of the cynical non FFers living in the constituency, who would you consider the lesser of evils - O'Cuiv or Fahey?

Given I'd imagine one of them will hold on, who would you rather see or perhaps expect to lose their seat?

To all of the cynical non FFers living in the constituency, who would you consider the lesser of evils - O'Cuiv or Fahey?

Given I'd imagine one of them will hold on, who would you rather see or perhaps expect to lose their seat?

At a stretch, Ó Cuív. Still wouldn't give him anything more than a very low preference but Fahey has so many fingers in property pies that I really, really distrust him (he has the largest property portfolio in the Dáil, IIRC).
    Plus Ó Cuív is going to get in anyway. The Conamara vote will more or less guarantee that whereas Fahey is vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Lockstep wrote: »
    At a stretch, Ó Cuív. Still wouldn't give him anything more than a very low preference but Fahey has so many fingers in property pies that I really, really distrust him (he has the largest property portfolio in the Dáil, IIRC).
    Plus Ó Cuív is going to get in anyway. The Conamara vote will more or less guarantee that whereas Fahey is vulnerable.

Fair enough, but I was just thinking back to O'Cuiv a few nights ago on VB making his case for being on the social left of FF (as if it really exists, lol), and remarkable how I have never heard this from him before.

I suppose the guy who is probably up to his neck in dubious property schemes could be considered the worse than someone is just another arrogant bluffer.

Boylesports odds for the candidates:

1/12-Eamonn O’Cuiv (FF)
    How depressing is that. I've played a major part in destroying your livelihood and your childrens' future? Why not vote me back in?
    If he shot people's mothers in the face he'd still get in.
    Everybody might get the government they deserve, but when I see O'Cuiv getting in after shafting the country sorta forever I feel we deserve far, far worse.

Fair enough, but I was just thinking back to O'Cuiv a few nights ago on VB making his case for being on the social left of FF (as if it really exists, lol), and remarkable how I have never heard this from him before.

I suppose the guy who is probably up to his neck in dubious property schemes could be considered the worse than someone is just another arrogant bluffer.
    I understand where you're coming from. Ó Cuív is very well regarded in the Gaelthact area of Conamara so he's almost certain to get in whereas Fahey is extremely unlikely to.
    He's not a good candidate, but he's better than Frank "property tycoon" Fahey or Michael "Get into power no matter what the cost" Crowe.

FF will be getting the very bottom of my transfers, and that's only to try and keep Fahey out. That said, I sincerely hope that FF get as few votes as possible.

Dan_Solo wrote:
    You can tell everyone what he said afterwards if you're so certain the public are demanding to know his opinion.
    If I was Cubbard I'd be telling you to stop lending your support at the moment.

I'd two canvassers for Mike Cubbard calling to my door yesterday, they had no answers, no clue, and no policies. I was told to look on the internet, and was happy to find that at least he'd fixed the spelling of "independent" since the last time I checked. 25/1 is pretty charitable imo.

or Michael "Get into power no matter what the cost" Crowe.
    One thing I've noticed about Crowe over the last few years is he's made a point of making a media presence out of himself, hardly a week went by when he wasn't prominently featured in the Advertiser. I'm guessing good money changed hands to maintain that campaign, we'll find out if it was worth it before long. My opinion is that he's courted the press too much, things like his "hatred of trees", whether real or a stunt, aren't going to lend any confidence.

• Advertisement

Cubbard, even with no identifiable policy or vision, inevitably stands for more than Crowe does and will get a higher preference from me. However I always start with my lowest preference first and vote the full order. :cool:

If I was Cubbard I'd be telling you to stop lending your support at the moment.

I'd two canvassers for Mike Cubbard calling to my door yesterday, they had no answers, no clue, and no policies. I was told to look on the internet, and was happy to find that at least he'd fixed the spelling of "independent" since the last time I checked. 25/1 is pretty charitable imo.
    And if I were an established party, I'd be asking for you to say exactly that to try to scare people away from anybody who isn't part of the old guard who have collectively destroyed our country.
    What did you ask the canvassers (are you sure it wasn't Cubbard himself? He was certainly at my door) anyway?
    I guess you'll just have to vote for known crook associates with better spelling, won't you.

Cubbard, even with no identifiable policy or vision, inevitably stands for more than Crowe does and will get a higher preference from me.
    From where I'm standing, he's looking out for Mike Cubbard and not much else.
    What did you ask the canvassers (are you sure it wasn't Cubbard himself?
    Quite sure. I asked them what were his policies, the sole answer was "look on the internet".
    I guess you'll just have to vote for known crook associates with better spelling, won't you.
    I'll be voting for the party with the best national policies, which in this case are FG. Which isn't saying much. I know about all of the baggage, but the best of a bad lot and all that.

Now, if you would be so good, perhaps you could enlighten us as to what are Mike Cubbard's national policies, and how he intends to see them through as an independent? You clearly have a lot to say on his behalf, lets keep that up and fill in the blanks.

You clearly have a lot to say on his behalf, lets keep that up and fill in the blanks.
    Clearly nothing. I just know how to ask questions properly other than "what are your policies". Don't you have subjects you can name that you can ask about specifically? I have no connection whatsoever with Cubbard, and TBH I don't need one to vote for him ahead of some FG same old ding dong. You may as well just vote FF and stop codding yourself you'll get an iota of change.

Rumour that Micheál Martin has asked Frank Fahey to step down in the interests of the party as he did with Noel O Flynn in Cork. Crowe considered more transfer friendly.

Sadly I have no idea what Frankeens answer was, it may have been impolite :D

Didn't Crowe screw over the standing guy in the locals, John Connelly, by running against him?
    They can't even trust each other the snakes!

Rumour that Micheál Martin has asked Frank Fahey to step down in the interests of the party as he did with Noel O Flynn in Cork. Crowe considered more transfer friendly.

That's extremely interesting to hear and probably smarter from a FF perspective.

Any sources?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Party before country again I see. This is a tactic to make the electorate believe that FF are reforming. I hope people can see through this.

Hey Mehole, if you are reading this - how about you get all of FF to step down.

A question for you Mehole - What will you do to get your ex colleagues into jail for negligence and treason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

What will be the best way to vote to get FF out.

• Advertisement

ilovesleep wrote: »
    What will be the best way to vote to get FF out.

Vote tactically. Give high preferences to those who will be competitive with FF for the seats. Ó Cuív is likely to get in but the rest are vulnerable.

Nolan (Labour), Connolly, (Independant), Walsh/Healy-Eames/Naughton (Fine Gael) are the best bets to give high preferences to, to keep Fahey and Crowe out.

Advertisement