Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Thats final result, it seems Healy Eames is out now judging by the news

Is there anyway that both Kyne and Connolly get in ahead of Grealish with transfers

I hope not, Grealish at least will be harmless in the Dail. I hope Kyne makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

The opposition will be very small if labour and FG agree to a coalition, because of this someone like Grealish who never talks is exactly what we don't need. We need someone who will speak out and Connolly would be better for that. I would prefer Kyne and Connolly over Grealish

From Twitter
    #gyw Revised 1st preference totals: Connolly(IND) down16;Kyne (FG) down 23; Healy Eames (FG) down 4; Grealish (IND) up 1 Walsh (FG) down 4"

Healy Eames out
    The recount has favoured Connolly over Kyne by 7 votes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Keylem

Sean Kyne has lost 23 votes after the sixth count in this recount, which could prove signficant. Originally he was 273 votes ahead of Healy Eames; he is now 257 votes ahead of her, as they head into assessing the transfers of Hildegarde Naughton. Naughton put Healy Eames in lead, originally, but Kyne regained ground in 10th count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

FHE finally eliminated.

Now we're down to it.

Counting reportedly to proceed through the night..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Hows it going there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

12th count just closed. Walsh elected. 116 to transfer. Only 58 votes between Kyne and Connolly for final seat.

I have the full breakdown here: http://bit.ly/dXH4oO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Grealish is going to be elected but the margin between the other two is expected to be very, very close.

Whatever way it swings, I'd expect a recount tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ron DMC wrote: »
    12th count just closed. Walsh elected. 116 to transfer. Only 58 votes between Kyne and Connolly for final seat.

I have the full breakdown here: http://bit.ly/dXH4oO

Lol at the "Getting tired" comment over Count 13 !:)

Is there many at the count ?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Is it because its now just 17 votes between Kyne and Connolly that Connolly was granted a full recount? And not just a partial recount from counts 12-13 (that is, after the Healy-Eames full recount at count 11)?

Because in Wicklow, SF who were 112 votes behind were refused a full recount but granted a partial recount from counts 14-19, (that is, after the Roche full recount at count 13)

Does the returning officer have some authority with what can and cannot be granted? And who are the returning officers? Civil servants?

• Advertisement

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Is it because its now just 17 votes between Kyne and Connolly that Connolly was granted a full recount? And not just a partial recount from counts 12-13 (that is, after the Healy-Eames full recount at count 11)?

I didn't catch it all, as my brain has turned to mush today, but I caught a bit of an interview with CC on Galway Bay FM which was done around 6am this morning.

She mentioned that the SF candidates vote hadn't changed in the recount and she wasn't happy with that as othr votes had changed in the recount and that the SF vote may not have been properly examined, possibly mentioned the Labour numbers too.

Or something like the above anyway...

(Come on Sean!)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

johngalway wrote: »
    I didn't catch it all, as my brain has turned to mush today, but I caught a bit of an interview with CC on Galway Bay FM which was done around 6am this morning.

She mentioned that the SF candidates vote hadn't changed in the recount and she wasn't happy with that as othr votes had changed in the recount and that the SF vote may not have been properly examined, possibly mentioned the Labour numbers too.

Or something like the above anyway...

(Come on Sean!)

#gyw Revised 1st preference totals: Connolly(IND) down16;Kyne (FG) down 23; Healy Eames (FG) down 4; Grealish (IND) up 1 Walsh (FG) down 4"

Maybe, but from the figures above it looks as though they only examined the candidates that were still standing when the recount by Healy-Eames was called. SF was gone at that stage.

Given that Connolly got 1700ish votes from SF re-examining these could make her worse off that 17 votes.

Benbecul97 wrote: »

Maybe, but from the figures above it looks as though they only examined the candidates that were still standing when the recount by Healy-Eames was called. SF was gone at that stage.

Given that Connolly got 1700ish votes from SF re-examining these could make her worse off that 17 votes.

I haven't checked the figures myself tbh. It may well make her worse off. But when the candidate ahead of her by 17 votes is the only one who can win the seat besides herself, I don't suppose she has anything to lose.

C'mon Sean, still rootin' for ya! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The opposition will be very small if labour and FG agree to a coalition, because of this someone like Grealish who never talks is exactly what we don't need. We need someone who will speak out and Connolly would be better for that. I would prefer Kyne and Connolly over Grealish
    Fixed that for you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

johngalway wrote: »
    His area is still Connemara mind. That's a + for him. I know Connolly has her interests in Connemara, but no better than Dev Óg, we're their holiday home! Kyne would be a Connemara TD.

Either way, they should have a band in the corner playing El Degüello :pac:

Very true but I was referring to his geographical placement (west of the county as opposed to the East where FHE has her base) rather than what sort of Conamara he represents. He got less transfers from FGE than I expected (while still being elected) Probably due to geography.

Kyne was deemed elected before Connolly requested a recount. Kyne was 17 votes ahead of Connolly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Just heard of the formal declaration on Morning Ireland.

Congratulations to Sean. Commiserations to Catherine.

17 votes between them -- a record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Excellent Ill take Kyne over Wishy Washy Catherine any day, pitty about Grealish and OCuiv tho :( neither deserved to be elected, oh well

Woke up, switched on the computer, herself gave out, saw results, then big :D

Well done Sean Kyne, delighted for ya!

• Advertisement

Been praying that Kyne would make it, yay!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Just heard of the formal declaration on Morning Ireland.

Congratulations to Sean. Commiserations to Catherine.

17 votes between them -- a record?

Only a couple of votes between FG men Dan Neville and Michael Finucane in 2002 I remember. Unless you mean record for Galway West?

Four right wing politicians and one sort of left, I just don't get it, are the majority of Galway happy with bank bailouts and business before people :(

Four right wing politicians and one sort of left, I just don't get it, are the majority of Galway happy with bank bailouts and business before people :(

While I'm not happy with the bank bailouts, we have to promote viable businesses in order to get the people working!

Keylem wrote: »
    While I'm not happy with the bank bailouts, we have to promote viable businesses in order to get the people working!
    Sounds like you have been a victim of Enda Kennys campaign

Sounds like you have been a victim of Enda Kennys campaign

No, just a business that was running well for 18 years, until the last Government messed things up!

Only a couple of votes between FG men Dan Neville and Michael Finucane in 2002 I remember. Unless you mean record for Galway West?

You're right. That was just one vote, which can be matched but never beaten.

Which now makes me wonder: is it possible that two candidates could end up with the same number of votes, and if so what happens then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    You're right. That was just one vote, which can be matched but never beaten.

Which now makes me wonder: is it possible that two candidates could end up with the same number of votes, and if so what happens then?

Goes right back to number of 1st preferences.
    If tied who was ahead after 2nd count.
    If tied who was ahead after 3rd count

etc etc etc

If still tied after final count it's time for arm wrestling. Best of 3 :)

Goes right back to number of 1st preferences.
    If tied who was ahead after 2nd count.
    If tied who was ahead after 3rd count

etc etc etc

If still tied after final count it's time for arm wrestling. Best of 3 :)

If it came to a Kyne versus Connolly wrestling match, Connolly would win. Doesn't matter how lanky Sean is, Catherine would be the tougher fighter. Like a Pit Bull versus a Wolfhound ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Galway Advertiser had great coverage of the count and their Facebook Page recorder OVER 1 MILLION HITS between Saturday and Tuesday night alone. They also have THE story of the count , Fidelma Healy Eames.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/37241/welcome-my-friends-to-the-show-that-never-ends
    As the votes were announced, it became obvious that a recount would be called for. At 7.30pm on Sunday it came. Returning officer Marian Chambers Higgins said she accepted the request from Fidelma Healy Eames. The news was greeted with a mixture of pained resignation and disbelief that it was all about to be dragged out even further. It is no exaggeration to say that Fidelma was the only happy face in Leisureland right then.

That was in severe contrast to Monday when she had a face like thunder, then shell shock, and finally distress, as it became obvious she had no chance of taking the seat. Yes there was a lot of Schadenfreude around, but considering that Ms Healy Eames implored Ms Chambers Higgins for the recount by saying “That’s my seat! That’s my seat!” this was understandable.

Advertisement