Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West General Election

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Odds against Connolly winning the final seat lengthening considerably according to Jim Fahy on RTE just now.

Dog fight between FHE & Kyne.

Am not going to have any finger nails left soon..........

Fine Gaels candidates FHE on 6725 and Sean Kyne on 6651 on the 8th count.

SF candidate to be eliminated next I believe. He got a lot of support from Connemara, Kyne is also a Connemara based councillor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Keylem

Looks like it'll be a battle between FDH and Sean Kyne for the last seat. Connolly slipping down!

Count 9

FHE 6814
    Kyne 6735
    CC 6573

johngalway wrote: »
    Count 9

FHE 6814
    Kyne 6735
    CC 6573

79 votes between top two - very close!

Kyne didn't do as well out of that last count as I'd thought. (I presume that was the distribution of SF transfers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

No - Cuiv surplus

Seven Worlds will Collide

Ah, thanks CH.

It's possible Connolly could benefit greatly from SF transfers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Adrian009

Keylem wrote: »
    It's possible Connolly could benefit greatly from SF transfers!

Maybe, though SF are still transfer-repellent. This election could change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Adrian009 wrote: »
    Maybe, though SF are still transfer-repellent. This election could change that.
    from a policy viewpoint connolly should do well from SF transfers this time round. certainly more so than Kyne and FHE

• Advertisement

ArtSmart wrote: »
    from a policy viewpoint connolly should do well from SF transfers this time round. certainly more so than Kyne and FHE

You've got that right. Now that SF have finally began to make a mark down here, it will be very interesting to see how they preform during the next ten years. Because its all up for grabs. They could rise and rise like FF after 1927, or go the way of other minor partys such as the PD's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Maybe, though SF are still transfer-repellent.
    Not when they transfer OUT :D

The only certainty to my mind is that Nolan will be elected this time with a surplus and that Connolly will go past Healy ( certain) and Kyne ( Probable)

Next count will likely send Connolly further ahead as it will be the Nolan surplus. Then Healy Eames is eliminated and we shall see what happens there :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »

The only certainty to my mind is that Nolan will be elected this time with a surplus and that Connolly will go past Healy ( certain) and Kyne ( Probable)

Next count will likely send Connolly further ahead as it will be the Nolan surplus. Then Healy Eames is eliminated and we shall see what happens there :)

I have a lot of time for Connolly but seems to be against everything. How do you rate Connolly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I can see Nolan getting enough transfers from O'Clochartaigh to get him over the quota but not enough to make distribution of his surplus significant. As I posted in the other thread, I think Kyne (Connemara connection) and Connolly (lefties) will get enough transfers from O'Clochartaigh to put them both ahead of Healy Eames to make her the next to be eliminated. Then it's down to whether or not Healy Eames' transfers follow the party line or the women's vote as to who takes the last seat. My guess is Kyne will shade it over Connolly.

I have a lot of time for Connolly but seems to be against everything. How do you rate Connolly?

She whinges and cribs so much I call her the Galway Bawl , not a single constructive utterance or suggestion to be heard.

She whinges and cribs so much I call her the Galway Bawl , not a single constructive utterance or suggestion to be heard.

Ara get off the fence Bob, tell us what ya really think! :pac:

I can see Nolan getting enough transfers from O'Clochartaigh to get him over the quota but not enough to make distribution of his surplus significant. As I posted in the other thread, I think Kyne (Connemara connection) and Connolly (lefties) will get enough transfers from O'Clochartaigh to put them both ahead of Healy Eames to make her the next to be eliminated. Then it's down to whether or not Healy Eames' transfers follow the party line or the women's vote as to how takes the last seat. My guess is Kyne will shade it over Connolly.

You may be right, I much prefer Kyne to Healy Eames!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Tenth Count Galway West

Connolly (Ind) (+1658) 8231
    Grealish (NP) (+370 ) 8678
    Healy Eames (FG) (+189) 7003
    ALSH, Brian FG 7491
    7491 KYNE, Seán FG 7059
    7059 HEALY EAMES, Fidelma FG 7003

All down to FHE's transfers....

oh, my nails.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Tenth Count Galway West

Connolly (Ind) (+1658) 8231
    Grealish (NP) (+370 ) 8678
    Healy Eames (FG) (+189) 7003
    ALSH, Brian FG 7491
    7491 KYNE, Seán FG 7059
    7059 HEALY EAMES, Fidelma FG 7003

All down to FHE's transfers....

oh, my nails.
    Recount granted to FG Fidelma Healy Eames. count adjourned til 6:30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Full recount mentioned on twitter

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Will GW be the last count to finish in the country I wonder.

So far, 147 seats have been filled in the 31st Dáil - 65 Fine Gael, 35 Labour, 17 Fianna Fáil, 13 Sinn Féin and 17 Others.

Wicklow is likely to be the last constituency finished, and looks set to return three Fine Gael and one Labour, with either Sinn Féin or an Independent to take the last seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Just back from the count.

Ó Cuív and Nolan already in, Walsh and Grealish dead certs to take the next 2 seats.
    FHE called a recount, very interesting stuff. Kyne was viewed as a sweeper but has really thrown himself into the running and is likely to take the final seat.
    Ó Clochartaigh's transfers put Connolly ahead of the 2 FG candidates.
    However, FHE will probably transfer enough to Kyne to put him ahead of Connolly, likely he'll be taking the final Dáil seat.

This looks very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Lockstep wrote: »
    Walsh and Grealish dead certs to take the next 2 seats.

However, FHE will probably transfer enough to Kyne to put him ahead of Connolly, likely he'll be taking the final Dáil seat.

This looks very interesting.
    With Kyne performing so much better than expected, and now being only 432 votes behind Walsh, is it not a possibility that FHE's 7,000 transfers could put Kyne ahead of Walsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

With Kyne performing so much better than expected, and now being only 432 votes behind Walsh, is it not a possibility that FHE's 7,000 transfers could put Kyne ahead of Walsh?

A fair point. Yes, that's definetely a possibility.

I've met Kyne after a public meeting and liked the guy and what he had to say. I must admit, I'm absolutely delighted he's in the running for a seat. I'd heard various things from various people about tactics, but it looks like he's thrown himself at the job and may yet get his reward!

Rumours that Fidelma has 3 legal eagles on the way to represent her interests while Pádraig McCormack will be in charge of representing Kynes interests tonight.

This could be a 24 hour recount, like Galway East seems to be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Rumours that Fidelma has 3 legal eagles on the way to represent her interests while Pádraig McCormack will be in charge of representing Kynes interests tonight.

This could be a 24 hour recount, like Galway East seems to be :)

No need to whinge and crib about vote-counting details when you can hire a lawyer to do it for you?

FG are hiring the lawyers :cool: Herself is off home to change the obligatoire power suit to the natty blue number I expect her to besport herself with tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    No need to whinge and crib about vote-counting details when you can hire a lawyer to do it for you?
    Don't think all the lawyers in the world can change the vote now

Advertisement