Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West General Election

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Birroc wrote: »
    Connolly has just lost my preference vote on the bypass issue - it's a no-brainer that Galway needs an outer bypass. Did I read Nolan also does not want a bypass?
    Honestly now, who gives a flying fig about a bypass when Ireland will end economically with FF, FG or Labour in charge? Whether O'Cuiv or Healey-Eames are "pro-bypass" is totally irrelevant as we'll be so skint with them in office that there won't be a bean to pay for it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Honestly now, who gives a flying fig about a bypass when Ireland will end economically with FF, FG or Labour in charge? Whether O'Cuiv or Healey-Eames are "pro-bypass" is totally irrelevant as we'll be so skint with them in office that there won't be a bean to pay for it anyway.

:rolleyes:

I give a fig, it affects me and most people West of the city. Not fun sitting for God knows how long duration in needless traffic if you're unlucky enough to time your journey wrong.

People do have the ability and intelligence to think of more than one issue, ya know.

johngalway wrote: »
    People do have the ability and intelligence to think of more than one issue, ya know.
    But as explained to you, there there simply won't be a bypass while we're paying off NAMA and the German bankers. Not going to happen.

But as explained to you, there there simply won't be a bypass while we're paying off NAMA and the German bankers. Not going to happen.

Probably not. But, it should have been constructed years ago. Add to that I still vastly prefer people who see the sense of it, rather than not.

I sometimes have business to the East, and sometimes the appointed time of that business isn't within my control. Sitting, stewing, fuming in pointless rat race needless traffic isn't constructive to my end goal - getting where I need to be.

Probably not. But, it should have been constructed years ago. Add to that I still vastly prefer people who see the sense of it, rather than not.
    Ah, right, cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I guess this is the "sophisticated electorate" we were all warned about...

• Advertisement

Ah, right, cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I fail to see the logic of your point. I don't vote on single issues. I listen to who I think makes the most sense to me, and for me, and I vote accordingly. I believe the bypass is necessary, that's a + for me in certain candidates books, there are also minuses. No party has entirely + marks for me. But, to say that seeing something I believe is a + and it contributing to my vote is cutting my nose off to spite my face, uhm.... That's silly.

You vote as certain things appeal to you, no?

It's often easier for the sitting TD's to retain their seats, rather than have candidates take them off them. So, why would I vote for someone who's policy I disagree with overall? Makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Oh yes you are right. I would much prefer to sit in traffic every morning and evening wasting all that cheap petrol. Connolly is blind if she cant see that an outer bypass would make a huge difference to Galway's economy.

I fail to see the logic of your point. I don't vote on single issues. I listen to who I think makes the most sense to me, and for me, and I vote accordingly. I believe the bypass is necessary, that's a + for me in certain candidates books
    Why? You already agree it won't happen. So you want to reward candidates for pie in the sky stuff? If they promised a cheque for a million Euros to everyone in the country, would that be a plus even though you know full well they won't do it?
    Makes as much sense as voting for O'Cuiv as he's "a great man for the Gaeltacht" when he won't be in charge of a thing next week.

Why? You already agree it won't happen. So you want to reward candidates for pie in the sky stuff? If they promised a cheque for a million Euros to everyone in the country, would that be a plus even though you know full well they won't do it?

I've explained to you why :confused: This country won't be in the sh1tter for ever. In the mean time, it's my preference to vote for people who share my ideas or have ideas I like.

What's so hard to understand about that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Keylem

Just because the money 'aint there now, doesn't mean that the bypass can't be funded in the future, if Connolly can't see that, then she's a waste of space in the Dail!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

:rolleyes:

I give a fig, it affects me and most people West of the city. Not fun sitting for God knows how long duration in needless traffic if you're unlucky enough to time your journey wrong.

So you would rather vote for somebody to give you a bridge over some water so that you can turn up to a place where you once used to work? I think we need to be thinking more broadly than just the parish pump at this time.

dclane wrote: »
    So you would rather vote for somebody to give you a bridge over some water so that you can turn up to a place where you once used to work? I think we need to be thinking more broadly than just the parish pump at this time.

The ability of posters to misrepresent other posters is sometimes astounding.

As I have already said, as you have chosen to ignore, I do not vote for candidates on single issues.

An efficient road network that allows people get from A to B in good time is a plus for the economy, not a minus. I also never said I worked anywhere. Sometimes I have business or appointments to the east of Galway city. Sitting in traffic is an unproductive waste of time and fuel for me and anyone else in the same situation.

That you cannot see the value of such a project says a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ConnemaraGirl

Look all you are doing is repeating this about FHE as you have done in previous quotes and responses.. I get it you dont like her.. and your on a mission to tell people.. I have read it loud and clear. but the more I see what people like you are saying the more I am convincing my friends to give her NO 1. I have heard her speak on The Radio and she is clear informative and to the point.. and according to most people I chat to she delivers. Naughton comes accross ok, but she has no experience.. I was out last night in Galway and word on the street is Fahey is looking cleaner than Walsh - their was talks of shady deals and covers ups..

So dissapointing to hear..

Will come back for a chat on Monday when all this is over if not before.. and looking forward to the results..
    Have a good w/end people. I would love to go to the count.. but I heard you would have to have a pass. So will just have to stay tuned to the radio.
    Lockstep wrote: »
    FHE was getting the same response in NUIG. She spoke terribly at the candidates debate and was lambasted by the student press. I've met her a few times and always came away with a poor impression of her.

Gotta say, I'm hearing a lot of bad things about her on the ground but your anecdotal experiences are completely at odds with my own, and it seems, the rest of the boards.ie posters. By contrast, Naughton is coming across very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ConnemaraGirl

Couldnt say it better myself..

:)
    Keylem wrote: »
    We need to get out there and vote tomorrow, no good complaining about the Government if we didn't vote - we need to get our Country off it's a$$ and back on it's knees again!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Look all you are doing is repeating this about FHE as you have done in previous quotes and responses.. I get it you dont like her.. and your on a mission to tell people.. I have read it loud and clear. but the more I see what people like you are saying the more I am convincing my friends to give her NO 1. I have heard her speak on The Radio and she is clear informative and to the point.. and according to most people I chat to she delivers. Naughton comes accross ok, but she has no experience..
    Fidelma is far from 'clear and to the point' when speaking on the radio. Did you hear her when she was going on about some secret foreign company that would only come and provide jobs if a Fine Gael government was in place. None of the other candidates had heard of this and she wouldn't expand on it.

Check out her answers and responses in
    NUIG
    She gets booed a lot and her answers were woefully evasive. She's not a popular woman as the threads both her, and in Politics.ie show.

Good luck in convincing your friends to give her a number one.
    I was out last night in Galway and word on the street is Fahey is looking cleaner than Walsh - their was talks of shady deals and covers ups..
    If you're going to make this sort of accusations then you really, really need to provide proof of it. If you don't like Walsh, fine. Feel free to say so but insinuations about corruption and smears are utterly unacceptable.
    And that's me speaking with my mod hat on. If you can't refrain from posting this sort of crap, don't bother posting at all.

So dissapointing to hear..

Will come back for a chat on Monday when all this is over if not before.. and looking forward to the results..
    Have a good w/end people. I would love to go to the count.. but I heard you would have to have a pass. So will just have to stay tuned to the radio.
    If you want a pass, speak to a candidate. If your family know FHE, then it should be easy enough to get a pass off her, even if they only know her vaguely. Candidates are always looking for people to help them tally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Voted today

1. Ó Clochartaigh
    2. Connolly
    3. Nolan
    4. Eamon Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

PomBear wrote: »
    Voted today

1. Ó Clochartaigh
    2. Connolly
    3. Nolan
    4. Eamon Walsh

Practically the same as yourself in a different order

Connolly
    Nolan
    Ó Clochartaigh

Not too sure after that it was one of Mike Cubbard, Eamon Walshe and O Brolchain

I've explained to you why :confused: This country won't be in the sh1tter for ever. In the mean time, it's my preference to vote for people who share my ideas or have ideas I like.

What's so hard to understand about that :confused:
    Pretty simple really. You're voting for them because you like their dreams, not what they will ever be able to do. While ideals are good, why not vote for people with policies that might actually come to fruition?
    Oh, and it won't happen for a good 10 years either with the IMF repayments...

Pretty simple really. You're voting for them because you like their dreams, not what they will ever be able to do. While ideals are good, why not vote for people with policies that might actually come to fruition?
    Oh, and it won't happen for a good 10 years either with the IMF repayments...

*Sighs*

Goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Any early indications in Galway West?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Where's the count held ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Leisureland (I think).

"Labours Derek Nolan looks to be topping the tallies in Galway West."

http://twitter.com/i102104News/status/41452869894930432

That Tweet doesn't say it, but I believe that applies to just city boxes.

Other Tweets put O Cuiv at 6%, but again that's a city vote AFAIK.

More news here: http://twitter.com/i102104News

O Cuiv and Fahey not doing well so far. Very early indications though.

What time is the first count due?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Keylem

David McCullagh: If Fine Gael and Labour end up in government together, several constituencies look like having no Opposition TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

RTE say that from first count its looking like
    1. O'Cuiv
    2. Nolan
    3. Brian Walshe
    4. Heally Eames
    5. Connolly vs Grealish vs Fahey

I really hope its Connolly over the other 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

RTE say that from first count its looking like
    1. O'Cuiv
    2. Nolan
    3. Brian Walshe
    4. Heally Eames

I really hope its Connolly over the other 2

Please not fahey, please not fahey, please not fahey, please not fahey, please not fahey, please not fahey

If the first 4 are correct I'd prefer Grealish over the other two. Can't pick between Frankeen and Connolly, have the same opinion of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

If the first 4 are correct I'd prefer Grealish over the other two. Can't pick between Frankeen and Connolly, have the same opinion of both.

Can't stand Grealish. An 'independent' who hasn't thought an independent thought in his life.

I hope Conolly gets the seat. At least she'd add some interest and energy to the Dail. Grealish didn't do a ****ing thing when he was in government....what's he going to do in opposition?

Just think,Galway could have its own Joe Higgins type in the Dáil!

Advertisement