Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway West General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The recount will continue tonight for as long as it takes to complete. The count is then likely to adjourn and resume in the morning.

What the heck does that mean ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Keylem

Kinda wondered that too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I took it to mean that they will recount up to count 10 (where they were when FHE called for a recount) and then adjourn until the morning when they'll start with the 11th count.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Got word from the count, no major changes after the first stage of the recount so FHE is gone. All previous results are confirmed as is ( bar - 5 here and +1 there) up to Nolan being elected.

FHE eliminated and Walsh will then be elected with a surplus. Kyne and Connolly will be close at that time but as Walsh will have a larger surplus than Nolan had earlier the Walsh surplus will get Kyne over the line ....at least 1000 votes ahead of Connolly and elected without reaching the quota most likely.

Grealish will be elected without reaching the quota either, possibly behind Kyne at the end. It is all over in Galway West bar the technicalities.

SB out before the lock and TTFN :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

That's just made my day :D Fantastic result for Kyne, from sweeper to keeper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Got word from the count, no major changes after the first stage of the recount so FHE is gone. All previous results are confirmed as is ( bar - 5 here and +1 there) up to Nolan being elected.

FHE eliminated and Walsh will then be elected with a surplus. Kyne and Connolly will be close at that time but as Walsh will have a larger surplus than Nolan had earlier the Walsh surplus will get Kyne over the line ....at least 1000 votes ahead of Connolly and elected without reaching the quota most likely.

Grealish will be elected without reaching the quota either, possibly behind Kyne at the end. It is all over in Galway West bar the technicalities.

still open race. Connolly almost 1200 ahead of Kynes as it stands. she'll also get transfers from FHE/ (Walsh). I wouldnt put the house on Kynes just yet.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I heard there is real chance Walsh will be elected without reaching a quota so no surplus available for Kyne. Still not cut and dried I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

If Kyne gets elected then fair play to him. He's put in a lot of work and clawed his way up from being a sweeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

Lockstep wrote: »
    If Kyne gets elected then fair play to him. He's put in a lot of work and clawed his way up from being a sweeper.
    Better him than FHE, anyway. Obstructionist bint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

ArtSmart wrote: »
    but also 200 tween connolly and kynes! but transfers prob will bring in kynes

(personally i think connolly will shade it by 40 votes ;)
    I'll be expecting many 'thanks' if this comes true.

• Advertisement

Padraic McCormack on GBFM now...

When FHE is eliminated.

CC to get around 400 from FHE.

Kyne needs 1600+ from FHE if that's the case.

FG tally people (going on a sample of 1000 votes I think) saying he will get it.

P McC reckons again the gap will end up as favouring Kyne by 100+ in the end to give him the 5th and final seat edging Connolly out.

Advertiser update says FHE has arrived with a team of lawyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Advertiser update says FHE has arrived with a team of lawyers.

A jasus! She's really desperate!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

If Healy Eames gets it over Kyne in the recount I'd imagine it would be better for Connolly as she would probably get enough transfers from Connemara. Could turn out to be a stupid move from Healy Eames as it could end up being a seat lost for FG, shows that she is only out for one person, herself. Personally I would prefer Kyne over Healy Eames if Connolly doesn't get in. He is a younger face in Politics and is proving doubters wrong that he was just an also ran

Kyne was just on GBFM. Very calm, very rational, "The results are somewhere in those bundles". Good interview I thought, have given up typing them out because... because... no one has the same story :pac:

Twitter had it, result from the recount for 5.30pm. We'll see :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Rumours are Fine Gael have enough as well, won't support Healy Eames anymore through this, that they cannot support a call for a further recount against one of their own candidates. Talk about not facing up to defeat, not doing whatever credibility she had any good.

Recount ongoing, but understand that It is looking like F Healy Eames will be eliminated, leaving a small vote difference between S Kyne and C Connolly. C Connolly's team have voiced their concern about the number of her votes that were identified as being suspect last night. If it is found to be disproportionate, she may demand an explanation and a recount

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

what number recount are we on now? 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

During the recount FG were counting the transfers from FHE to Kyne and Connolly and they put Kyne way ahead. Padraic McCormack is predicting he will get 100+ votes more than Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

SarahBM wrote: »
    what number recount are we on now? 3?
    5, I think. Two on Saturday, two on Sunday. Now this.

• Advertisement

FHE's transfers could go all over the place;

Grealish is from the same voting area as herself. Could transfer well.
    Walsh is from the East of the city, also a party colleague.
    Connolly might get transfers due to the female factor (women are under-represented in the Dáil and some voters vote accordingly but I dunno how far this will go)
    Kyne is a party colleague but from the other side of the constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gallantman

Ruire wrote: »

What ????

Maybe I'm wrong but this will be the result of the first recount started yesterday (requested by FHE) and only finishing now.

The only other re-count was carried out by M Higgins (not requested by a canidate) after a discrepency between 1st count and figures from polling stations.

Is this correct ? We are nowhere near 5 recounts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Copied from twitter :D

@t_desales: Marion Chambers Higgins to make pronouncement on Fidelma Healy Eames in unnecessarily elaborate surname extravaganza #gyw #ge11 #****sake

Seven Worlds will Collide

Kyne is a party colleague but from the other side of the constituency.

He's from Moycullen, not Renvyle :p

I've faith in McCormacks assessment, they've been watching fairly closely where the transfers have been going.

johngalway wrote: »
    He's from Moycullen, not Renvyle :p

I've faith in McCormacks assessment, they've been watching fairly closely where the transfers have been going.

Ah y'know what I mean. His area is English Conamara. Regional voting is still very big in Ireland.

His area is still Connemara mind. That's a + for him. I know Connolly has her interests in Connemara, but no better than Dev Óg, we're their holiday home! Kyne would be a Connemara TD.

Either way, they should have a band in the corner playing El Degüello :pac:

Ruire wrote: »
    There has only been one recount, which started on Sunday evening, and the results of which have not yet been announced.

gallantman wrote: »
    The only other re-count was carried out by M Higgins (not requested by a canidate) after a discrepency between 1st count and figures from polling stations.
    A technicality but I think that is a classified as a re-check rather than a re-count.
    gallantman wrote: »
    We are nowhere near 5 recounts!!
    Correct. This is the first one.

The 9 O'Clock news on RTE indicates that there won't be any result until tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Keylem wrote: »
    The 9 O'Clock news on RTE indicates that there won't be any result until tomorrow!

Thats final result, it seems Healy Eames is out now judging by the news

Is there anyway that both Kyne and Connolly get in ahead of Grealish with transfers

Advertisement