Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Never even thought about this. Who could they get?

Marcus for a swansong? :pac:
    We aren't that desperate yet. Ethel the Tea Lady is still here.

I'm sure that if we were allowed (doubtful though that prospect is) we could scare up a Saffer or two to fill the gap. Last year, our lack of props cost us a place in the play-offs. It will be interesting to see if Ricky Lutton from the AIL makes any head way. Black isn't great to be honest - he hasn't shown any reason to be overly optimistic - he said diplomatically. Still, he isn't the NOC of the prop world. Without Court and McAllister we are fecked - again. Afoa can play loosehead I think but why would you do that unless a miracle occurs and young Macklin suddenly becomes adequate?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭backawaygo onahead

A wee smidgeon harsh on Black & Macklin Jaco but I certainly know what you mean, not what you would want to be starting a HC game, dreadful news.

I don't agree with those who thought PaddyMac was about to replace TC but it was a season where he would hopefully have made a step further in his development.

Good luck to him, a liitle birdie told me it is a potential career wrecker, hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭backawaygo onahead

Oh yeah, as for Marcus, a great servant to Munster & Ireland but his game seems to be limited to playing the old soldier & a variety of pulls, blocks, trips and sundry foul measures that indicate his usefulness is sadly long gone & he is now officially simply a messer.

A wee smidgeon harsh on Black & Macklin Jaco but I certainly know what you mean, not what you would want to be starting a HC game, dreadful news.

I don't agree with those who thought PaddyMac was about to replace TC but it was a season where he would hopefully have made a step further in his development.

Good luck to him, a liitle birdie told me it is a potential career wrecker, hope not.

A prop with dodgy knees isn't a good sign. Let's hope Paddy makes a full recovery.
    I was trying to be positive about Black but couldn't go all out. Maybe he will come good. He isn't really bad but he isn't really good either. As for Macklin, he is still very young and because of the cretinous way junior rugby is governed, guys like him have hardly scrummaged until they get to pro level.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Is it just me or are more young players out injured these days?

They are, but they're being protected pretty well in terms of game time etc. Players are getting bigger though and bodies are being put under more and more pressure. Really hope it doesn't become a major problem for the sport.

Horrible luck for Paddy, but I don't think it is being treated as career threatening, More it's the type of injury that could go on to become so if he doesnn't deal with it maturely and listen to the advice he gets, which I'm sure he will.

It would be great if we were a bit more Marxist in our player management and could send Jack McGrath on loan to Ulster for the season. He's good enough to start a top Rabo game and (in my opinion) cover from the bench in the Heineken Cup at least. Leinster will have VDM, Healy, Bent as well as O'Connell and Tracy in the later stages of the academy so they could spare him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jacothelad wrote: »
    A prop with dodgy knees isn't a good sign. Let's hope Paddy makes a full recovery.
    I was trying to be positive about Black but couldn't go all out. Maybe he will come good. He isn't really bad but he isn't really good either. As for Macklin, he is still very young and because of the cretinous way junior rugby is governed, guys like him have hardly scrummaged until they get to pro level.
    The word I'd use for Black is solid. He is not going to really let the side down but he isn't going to steal headlines.

Biggest worry is that he is fairly injury prone himself he was injured a few times last season.
    It would be great if we were a bit more Marxist in our player management and could send Jack McGrath on loan to Ulster for the season. He's good enough to start a top Rabo game and (in my opinion) cover from the bench in the Heineken Cup at least. Leinster will have VDM, Healy, Bent as well as O'Connell and Tracy in the later stages of the academy so they could spare him.

Bent is primarily a TH, that said you are right a loan move could make sense. McGrath may be able to get ahead of Black and if he does he could get the experience needed to come back to Leinster next season and seamlessly take over from VDM (who is in his last year at Leinster) as the back up LH

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You can have Horan, just give us Ferris when he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You can have Horan, just give us Ferris when he's fit.

Just Ferris, feck we'd have given you Tommy and Ruan as well for Marcus...

Alleged starting XV for Leicester on Saturday.

15 Jared Payne
    14 Michael Allen
    13 Chris Farrell
    12 Luke Marshall
    11 Craig Gilroy
    10 Niall O'Connor
    9 Michael Heaney
    1 Callum Black
    2 Nigel Brady
    3 Declan Fitzpatrick
    4 Johann Muller
    5 Lewis Stevenson
    6 Robbie Diack
    7 Ali Birch
    8 Nick Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Great to see Luke Marshall's name on the team sheet...

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »

With Whitten gone he should definitely get more chances. It's a talented centre combo actually. Although I still think Farrell will be more effective at 12 than 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

.ak wrote: »

...and Payne !

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

bilston wrote: »

15 Jared Payne
    14 Michael Allen
    13 Chris Farrell
    12 Luke Marshall
    11 Craig Gilroy
    10 Niall O'Connor
    9 Michael Heaney
    1 Callum Black
    2 Nigel Brady
    3 Declan Fitzpatrick
    4 Johann Muller
    5 Lewis Stevenson
    6 Robbie Diack
    7 Ali Birch
    8 Nick Williams

Aside from O'Connor that's an exciting backline. Payne, Farrell & Marshall in particular, but also interesting to see how Heaney & Allen get on. It's not going to be televised but hopefully some highlights might be available on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

The Marshall and Farrell center partnership is one worth watching although it should be noted that Farrell is still very young.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

any idea on the bench?

3 Declan Fitzpatrick
    I don't believe it. Surely he would be subject to post international stand down like everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Thats the team alright.

Ulster: J Payne; C Gilroy, C Farrell, L Marshall, M Allen; N O’Connor, M Heaney; C Black, N Brady, D Fitzpatrick; J Muller (capt), L Stevenson; R Diack, A Birch, N Williams.
    Replacements: R Lutton, R Herring, N Annett, J Afoa, A Macklin, N McComb, M McComish, S Doyle, B McIlroy, P Jackson, C Cochrane, S Olding, R Andrews, P Nelson.

I don't believe it. Surely he would be subject to post international stand down like everyone else

I wondered about that myself. Maybe Deccie just wants him to get as many games as possible at TH as it looks like he will be both Ireland and Ulster's second choice and even if that means playing friendlies so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I wondered about that myself. Maybe Deccie just wants him to get as many games as possible at TH as it looks like he will be both Ireland and Ulster's second choice and even if that means playing friendlies so be it.
    Fitzpatrick had his stand down last season. He is all set to go for the year I'd imagine. He's not going to be on the Lions so he'll be aiming through the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

New kit available to buy here: http://www.ulsterrugbyshop.com/

Home: £70(!)
    Away: £55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

New kit available to buy here: http://www.ulsterrugbyshop.com/

Home: £70(!)
    Away: £55

Surely both tops should be the same price...or may be £5 a difference like Leinster.

I know Ulster are trying to push on from their success last season...but this is a rip-off at £70. Bit of an error by their marketing department.

If someone buys the home shirt knowing the away top is £15 cheaper they must have more money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Paul4As wrote: »
    Surely both tops should be the same price...or may be £5 a difference like Leinster.

I know Ulster are trying to push on from their success last season...but this is a rip-off at £70. Bit of an error by their marketing department.

If someone buys the home shirt knowing the away top is £15 cheaper they must have more money than sense.

Bit of confusion...the cotton home jersey is £55 for adults!

http://www.ssmsports.co.uk/Adult-Replica/

Ignore my whinge!:)

Ulster 7-0 up HT against Leicster

Penalty try from the scrum

Here is the Tigers team
    Tigers team: Murphy, Hamilton, Tuilagi, Allen, Goneva, Flood, Young; Castrogiovanni, T Youngs, Cole, Mafi, Parling, B Deacon, Salvi, Waldrom

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's a very strong Tigers side.

20 minutes left still 7-0

EDIT Goneva try 7-7 8 minutes left

EDIT FT 14-14 tries from Waldrom and Cochrane

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

anyone at the game to give a bit of a review re: the young players...the ulster website posted this
    Anscombe fielded a youthful side for the first home friendly of the season, while still finding places for several more established names, notably the rehabilitated Jared Payne at full-back, the returning Niall O'Connor at out-half, and new recruit Nick Williams at Number Eight.

Early Leicester pressure straight from the off came to an abrupt end on four minutes thanks to a smart Michael Allen interception well inside the Ulster '22', and the same player profited from good turnover ball moments later to cut an impressive swathe down the left wing. Slick passing then saw the Ulster forwards edge to within an inch of the line, but poor judgement from a resulting scrum surrendered possession on 11 minutes.

Tigers then seized back the initiative and looked moderately threatening until a stray foot in touch put Ulster back in control. Their possession paid off on 24 minutes as, with John Afoa having just entered the fray for Declan Fitzpatrick, strong scrummaging won the hosts the penalty try in the corner. O'Connor eased into his second spell at Ravenhill with a simple conversion to make it Ulster 7 Leicester 0.

Ulster continued to dictate play as the half progressed, with many of the younger players looking especially sharp, and Leicester were the happier of the two sides to see the arrival of the half-time break.

Half-time Score Ulster 7 Leceister 0

With Ricky Lutton, Mike McComish, Neil McComb, Sean Doyle and Paddy Jackson all drafted in at the break, Ulster maintained their strong momentum in the opening minutes of the second period, although Leicester began to show their collective nous on 50 minutes and were only contained by assiduous Ulster tackling.

Tigers launched onslaught after onslaught as the hour mark passed, but still Ulster kept them at bay, until the visitors' class finally shone through on 65 minutes with a neat sidestep carrying Fijian speedster Veroniki Goneva over on the left wing for their first score, duly converted to level the game at seven points apiece.

Ulster did their best to strike straight back from the restart, but were undone by an overcooked short pass which gifted possession back to the visitors. A well-executed 5-metre lineout allowed Number Eight Thomas Waldrom to pick up and stretch over the line with five minutes remaining, and George Ford's second conversion extended the lead to Ulster 7 Leicester 14.

With three minutes left to play, and Ulster's time fast running out, Chris Cochrane raised the biggest cheer of the day by bursting through on the '22', wrongfooting the last man and sliding in between the posts for a blistering solo try.

The Jackson conversion restored parity with a minute left, and there was just enough time for Peter Nelson to make a scintillating late dash down the right wing, before being clipped into touch just metres from the line by a despairing Leicester lunge.

The match finished, then, with honours even, but proved an exceptionally positive runout for the entire squad, with Newcastle Falcons now next up in Friday's final friendly, before the RaboDirect Pro 12 kicks off in earnest against Glasgow Warriors on Friday 31 August.

Full-Time Score Ulster 14 Leicester 14

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

Was quite a good game for a friendly, was nice to be at Ravenhill when the sun was shining for a change!

Most impressed by the Ulster scrum in the first half against a strong tigers pack which culminated in a penalty try. Fitzpatrick is a brilliant tight head in the scrum but its a pity he seems so injury prone.

All the young guns did alright. Payne had a few nice grubbers and looks to have a bit of class. Chris farrel looks one for the future, he looked alright against some big players in their midfield.

All in all a pretty useful run out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Good to hear that Farrell can acquit himself well against a strong midfield and at 13 too. Hopefully he gets some gametime this season although it could be hard to come by what with Wallace, Cave, Spence and Marshall all there and none of them likely to be in Irish matchday squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

A farrell Marshall partnership. Could be a the future at the highest level of Irish rugby in 3-4 years.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement