Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Who's McIlroy?
    Blaine McIlroy. played scrum half on 20s last year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Who's McIlroy?
    Young SH first year out of the academy this year.

Was ahead of Cooney and Marmion for the 2011 U20s 6 nations but played like a drain and was dropped for that years JRWC.
    bilston wrote: »

Payne excelled at 13 for Auckland and the Blues, I think Anscombe coached him at Auckland too, I wonder of we'll see a lot of Payne at 13 this season. That would leave us light at FB and would be bad news for Cave. Still I wouldn't read much into this selection.

I reckon Payne could play every game next season. Mainly at 15 but he will shifted a few times to give experience to the likes of Nelson at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

First game of the Anscombe era tomorrow era against Bayonne.

Apparently it will be rolling subs and Anscombe has said it's more of a fitness builder than anything else nevertheless it will be interesting to hear how it goes.

According to a reliable poster on UAFC the starting backline is:

9 McIlroy
    10 Jackson
    11 Cochrane
    12 Farrell
    13 Payne
    14 Gilroy
    15 Nelson

Payne excelled at 13 for Auckland and the Blues, I think Anscombe coached him at Auckland too, I wonder of we'll see a lot of Payne at 13 this season. That would leave us light at FB and would be bad news for Cave. Still I wouldn't read much into this selection.

Well I get that Payne is a very talented player but Ulster already have Cave and Spence at 13...Payne is better than the other options at full-back, so it'd seem unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

New Ulster coach Mark Anscombe has named his match day squad for the pre season friendly against Bayonne at the Parc des Jean Dauger this evening (KO 7pm BST)...

In his first match in charge, Anscombe has selected a team with a mix of youth and experience, and it will give him the chance to look at some interesting combinations.
    The match will see Australian born openside flanker Sean Doyle make his debut for Ulster in the back row. Jared Payne will start the game at outside centre, in what will be his first outing since he damaged his Achilles against Cardiff in September last year.

Doyle is joined in the back row by the experienced Robbie Diack and Mike McComish. Johann Muller will skipper the team and is partnered at lock by Neil McComb. The front row will be made up of Callum Black, Niall Annett and Adam Macklin, who will be starting a game together for the first time.

Former Methodist College classmates Blane McIlroy and Patrick Jackson will form the half back combination, while Academy player Chris Farrell will play alongside Payne in midfield. Chris Cochrane, Craig Gilroy and Peter Nelson will provide plenty of attacking intent from the back three.

The match in France is part of a four day training camp before Ulster return for home friendlies against Leicester (18th Aug) and Newcastle (24th Aug).

Ulster (15-9): P Nelson; C Gilroy, J Payne, C Farrell, C Cochrane; P Jackson, B McIlroy;
    (1-8): C Black, N Annett, A Macklin, J Muller (c), N McComb, M McComish, S Doyle, R Diack;
    Replacements: R Herring, R Lutton, J Afoa, L Stevenson, A Birch, M Heaney, N O’Connor, L Marshall, M Allen, R Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

7 methodist college players in that squad Niall Annett, Adam Macklin, Patrick Jackson, Blane McIlroy, Craig Gilroy, Michael Heany and Michael Allen an impressive amount from one school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The game is underway and its 3-0 thanks to a Paddy Jackson penalty./
    12-3 to Bayonne now/
    10-12 Ulster try - Michael Heaney

The scrum is getting mullered

The try was after a series of scrum and macklin is in the bin from scrum offenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

12-3 and the likes of Phillips, Tialata, Rocokoco and Heymans on the bench.

Second half ulster team
    2nd half team (1-15) Black, Herring, Afoa, Stevenson, McComb, McCormish, Doyle, Diack, Heaney, O'Connor, Andrew,Marshall,Allen,Gilroy,Nelson

12-3 now. Worth remembering that the French team's season starts next week while this is Ulster's first match of the pre-season

EDIT 12-10 Heaney try

NOC penalty 13-12 now

• Advertisement

Final Score 20-15

Niall McComb try

Ulster's away first win in France apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Final Score 20-15

Niall McComb try

Don't know what team Bayonne had out but given what we had out and given where Ulster and Bayonne are in their respective pre seasons that's a cracking win.

Don't know what team Bayonne had out but given what we had out and given where Ulster and Bayonne are in their respective pre seasons that's a cracking win.

All I know about the Bayonne team is the quote from GerM below
    GerM wrote: »
    12-3 and the likes of Phillips, Tialata, Rocokoco and Heymans on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

Final Score 20-15

Niall McComb try

good start now for a competative win there;)

great win though for the first pre season game!

All I know about the Bayonne team is the quote from GerM below

Yeah I saw that earlier, it doesn't take away from the fact that our second/third team (with three or four exceptions) beat a French team in France whatever the circumstances.

Edit - Bayonne starting XV

(15-9): S Spedding; J Rokocoko, T Lacroix, M Ahotaeiloa, M O'Connor; J Potgieter, M Phillips; (1-8): A Iguiniz, D Roumieu, N Tialata; D Senekal, A Boutaty; M Chisholm, J Puricelli, D Haare.

Thierry Lacroix must be about 48 by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

Match report from the Irish Examiner

Bayonne 15 Ulster 20

By John Fallon, Stade Jean Dauger

Friday, August 10, 2012

Lock Neil McComb was the hero for Ulster as he raced over for a match-winning try three minutes from the end to give new coach Mark Anscombe a winning start.

It was no more than Ulster deserved as they came good in the second-half of a good workout for Ulster in their brief tour to the south of France.

The stifling heat — it was 27 degrees at the 8pm kick-off — certainly made it difficult for both teams and Bayonne got on top as the opening progressed with both sides opting to run the ball at all times.

Ulster turned down a few kicks at the posts in favour of going to touch but they were unable to pierce the home defence.

Eventually, Paddy Jackson opted for a kick at the posts after 15 minutes and he made no mistake to give Ulster the lead from 43 metres.

But Bayonne, still smarting after failing to score against neighbours and arch-rivals Biarritz last weekend, responded with a series of good drives and they finally crossed after 27 minutes when hooker David Roumieu barged over after several close range scrums.

They repeated the dose just before the break after Ulster tighthead Adam Macklin was binned as Ulster conceded a succession of penalties in front of their own posts and it was hooker Roumieu who again found the gap to cross and leave the French 12-3 in front at the break.

Ulster got on top after the restart and reduced the deficit when returning scrum-half Michael Heaney cut a great line to cross after 49 minutes, with Niall O’Connor adding the points.

O’Connor was off target with a penalty from inside halfway but then pushed Ulster in front with a 46 metre kick.

Cedric Garcia restored Bayonne’s lead but then McComb burst through three minutes from the end to seal victory for the Heineken Cup finalists.

Bayonne scorers: Tries: Roumieu (2) Cons: Potgieter Pens: Garcia

Ulster scorers: Tries: Heaney, McComb; Cons: O’Connor (2); Pens: Jackson, O’Connor.

BAYONNE: S Spedding; J Rokocoko, T Lacroix, M Ahotaeiloa, M O’Connor; J Potgieter, M Phillips; A Iguiniz, D Roumieu, N Tialata; D Senekal, A Boutaty; M Chisholm, J Puricelli, D Haare.

Replacements used: G Arganeve, P Lafond, W Desmaison, M Baget, C Garcia, M Ugalde, C Helmans, V Manukula, R Bayoud, R Linde, JJ Marmouyet, S Gerber, B Fuster, G Bernad.

ULSTER: P Nelson; C Gilroy, J Payne, C Farrell, C Cochrane; P Jackson, B McIlroy; C Black, N Annett, A Macklin; J Muller, N McComb; M McComish, S Doyle, R Diack.

Replacements used: R Herring, R Lutton, J Afoa, L Stevenson, A Birch, M Heaney, N O’Connor, M Allen, L Marshall, R Andrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Final Score 20-15

Niall McComb try

Not true actually. In the amateur era Ulster beat 'France' in Marseilles during the 1980s.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Not true actually. In the amateur era Ulster beat 'France' in Marseilles during the 1980s.
    ok Ulster's first away win in France in the professional era then maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bad news, according to the man himself Paddy McAllister is out for the season with torn knee ligaments. I assume he did them at the Bayonne match.

https://twitter.com/paddymcallister/

Crap timing, I was hoping he would challenge Court for the LH shirt. Who will step up as backup now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Bad news, according to the man himself Paddy McAllister is out for the season with torn knee ligaments. I assume he did them at the Bayonne match.

Crap timing, I was hoping he would challenge Court for the LH shirt. Who will step up as backup now?

Sh1te news. Was. Hoping for a big sason from Paddy. Gutted for the lad.

• Advertisement

Well that's put a dampner on the night

Callum Black is an able LH and will step up to back up Court. I'm not sure who will end up on the bench when Court is involved internationally, Carey?

Poor Paddy, he could well have been capped in the next year if fit for Ulster.

agoiurpfegs
    fdgsdfkdsfgparga
    g
    asdgdgdfpo;

ugh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Terrible news for Paddy McAllister, looked good the few times I saw him. Ran into his dad in London before the final - surprisingly slight man!

Is it just me or are more young players out injured these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

He's had some horrible luck with injury. Hopefully he'll recover and turn out more Cian Healy than Darragh Hurley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Terrible news re Paddy.

In other news, kit is out Friday if anyone is interested. Presumably on sale at the Leicester game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster might seek permission from the IRFU to sign an emergency loose head on a season basis. With Court likely to be away with Ireland, Paddy out for the year and Black the only real option we could be in trouble. At least we won't see Brady at 1 this season. :D

Ulster might seek permission from the IRFU to sign an emergency loose head on a season basis. With Court likely to be away with Ireland, Paddy out for the year and Black the only real option we could be in trouble. At least we won't see Brady at 1 this season. :D

Never even thought about this. Who could they get?

Marcus for a swansong? :pac:

I'm thinking that we might see Afoa shifting to LH for some games. He can play on both sides of the scrum (hooker too supposedly).

I don't know much about Lutton in terms of how good is he but he came on at LH against Bayonne.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Do you mean an NIQ loose-head? Wow, can't see that happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement