Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

New season fixtures now online, Kicking off with Glasgow at home and wraps up with Cardiff, also at home.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10632.php

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Round 1: ULSTER v GLASGOW, 31 Aug - 2 Sep 2012
    Round 2: Ospreys v Ulster, 7 - 9 Sep 2012, Liberty Stadium
    Round 3: ULSTER v MUNSTER, 14 - 16 Sep 2012
    Round 4: Zebre v Ulster, 21 - 23 Sep 2012, Stadio XXV Aprile
    Round 5: Cardiff v Ulster, 28 - 30 Sep 2012, Cardiff Arms Park
    Round 6: ULSTER v CONNACHT, 5 - 7 Oct 2012
    Round 7: Dragons v Ulster, 26 - 28 Oct 2012, Rodney Parade
    Round 8: ULSTER v EDINBURGH, 2 - 4 Nov 2012
    Round 9: Treviso v Ulster, 23 - 25 Nov 2012, Stadio Monigo
    Round 10: Scarlets v Ulster, 30 Nov - 2 Dec 2012, Parc y Scarlets
    Round 11: ULSTER v LEINSTER, 21 - 23 Dec 2012
    Round 12: Munster v Ulster, 28 - 30 Dec 2012, TBA
    Round 13: ULSTER v SCARLETS, 4 - 6 Jan 2013
    Round 14: ULSTER v OSPREYS, 8 - 10 Feb 2013
    Round 15: ULSTER v ZEBRE, 15 - 17 Feb 2013
    Round 16: Glasgow v Ulster, 22 - 24 Feb 2013, Scotstoun Stadium
    Round 17: ULSTER v TREVISO, 1 - 3 Mar 2013
    Round 18: Edinburgh v Ulster, 22 - 24 March 2013, Murrayfield
    Round 19: Leinster v Ulster 29 Mar - 31 Mar 2013, RDS
    Round 20: ULSTER v DRAGONS, 12 - 14 Apr 2013
    Round 21: Connacht v Ulster, 19 - 21 Apr 2013, Sportsground
    Round 22: ULSTER v CARDIFF, 3 - 5 May 2013

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

awec wrote: »
    Round 11: ULSTER v LEINSTER, 21 - 23 Dec 2012
    Round 12: Munster v Ulster, 28 - 30 Dec 2012, TBA
    Round 13: ULSTER v SCARLETS, 4 - 6 Jan 2013

There shouldn't be the balls up at Christmas like there was last year where Ulster had to play two games in a 4 or 5 days.

Assuming BBC NI have the same arrangement next season for Ulster to play their home games on a Friday night means:
    21 Dec Ulster v Leinster
    28-30 Dec Munster v Ulster
    4 Jan Ulster v Scarlets

Whether any of the Irish players will be released is another thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Just heard that the ulster academy signed up Irish 20's second row Alan O'Connor

Great signing for them, leinster's own lose as no doubt he'll b pushing for the first team by next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

madlad88 wrote: »
    Just heard that the ulster academy signed up Irish 20's second row Alan O'Connor

Great signing for them, leinster's own lose as no doubt he'll b pushing for the first team by next year

Dammit. Why didn't Leinster sign him up. Really didn't get it, as Leinster aren't exactly blessed with locks. I've seen this guy O'Connor play with UCD and he's a monster, a real enforcer lock. Still, at least he's in an academy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Hagz wrote: »
    Dammit. Why didn't Leinster sign him up. Really didn't get it, as Leinster aren't exactly blessed with locks. I've seen this guy O'Connor play with UCD and he's a monster, a real enforcer lock. Still, at least he's in an academy.

Ye it is a real pity. They must be blind, i feel he is better then any of the locks in the Leinster Academy at the moment. Him and henderson will be a force to be reckoned with in 2 or 3 years !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Has anyone heard how season ticket sales are going this year for ulster rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Has anyone heard how season ticket sales are going this year for ulster rugby.
    Up 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Alan O'Connor won't be playing for Ulster any time soon, maybe in the longer term but he has a long way to go. Ulster have the best group of locks in the UK & Ireland.

There are two better prospects going into Leinsters academy as well. I completely agree with their approach. Don't lower the standard in any position based on a short term lack of depth.

Great news about the season tickets.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone know when the new gear is properly unveiled and released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Alan O'Connor won't be playing for Ulster any time soon, maybe in the longer term but he has a long way to go. Ulster have the best group of locks in the UK & Ireland.

There are two better prospects going into Leinsters academy as well. I completely agree with their approach. Don't lower the standard in any position based on a short term lack of depth.

I'm pleased with this news about Alan O'Connor. I think one of the key tasks facing Anscombe this season is finding a replacement for Muller for 2013/14 and beyond. Now while any Kiwis I've spoken to have had mixed views on Anscombe in general as a head coach, they do mostly say he is a very good forwards coach so he should be in a good position to find a replacement and develop them accordingly. Hopefully between Henderson, Stevenson and O'Connor we can do that while also aware that Caldwell is entering the final year of his contract at Bath. Although I wonder if Caldwell could be a potential target for Leinster?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The former New Zealand Under-20 boss is happy with how the players are reacting in training. "We are getting our patterns in place, working on the fundamentals and developing things that I think we need to do more effectively.

"We are trying to develop the players bit by bit without making it a total overload of information. We're getting there, the players have been working hard for the past four weeks and I've been pleased with their progress..

"The players seem to be picking it up easily enough at the minute, we're looking at keeping it simple to start with and build as a group."

He continued: "Guys like Callum Black, Paddy McAllister, Adam Macklin, John Burns and Niall Annett are all training well, Ali Birch and Robbie Diack have too.

"These guys are here every day and enjoying the work at the moment. They've shown a good attitude - how they transfer that into playing will be the important thing.

"The Under-20s are back this week so it will give us a chance to look at Iain Henderson, Peter Nelson, Chris Farrell, Stuart Olding and see what we've got.

"The likes of Paddy (Wallace), Stephen (Ferris) and Tom (Court) have all had operations so we've got to be careful with how we ease them back into training."

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/26854.php

What op did Paddy Wallace have does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Great move for O'connor with Anscombe and Muller should bring him on a lot. Thought he was very effective in WC hit rucks tackled hard did the donkey work a second row should be doing nothing too flash. That being said it was possible as Henderson went back row to give the lineout options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

CatFromHue wrote: »

Shoulder op. he was waiting for it when Einstein Deccie called him up.

The former New Zealand Under-20 boss is happy with how the players are reacting in training. "We are getting our patterns in place, working on the fundamentals and developing things that I think we need to do more effectively.

"We are trying to develop the players bit by bit without making it a total overload of information. We're getting there, the players have been working hard for the past four weeks and I've been pleased with their progress..

"The players seem to be picking it up easily enough at the minute, we're looking at keeping it simple to start with and build as a group."

He continued: "Guys like Callum Black, Paddy McAllister, Adam Macklin, John Burns and Niall Annett are all training well, Ali Birch and Robbie Diack have too.

"These guys are here every day and enjoying the work at the moment. They've shown a good attitude - how they transfer that into playing will be the important thing.

"The Under-20s are back this week so it will give us a chance to look at Iain Henderson, Peter Nelson, Chris Farrell, Stuart Olding and see what we've got.

"The likes of Paddy (Wallace), Stephen (Ferris) and Tom (Court) have all had operations so we've got to be careful with how we ease them back into training."

Good to hear him mention the young lads there. If he thinks they are up to it I think he'll give them the games this season, there'll be no faffing around with the youngsters that sometimes happens elsewhere. Although in fairness McLaughlin was pretty good at bringing them as well.

It's also interesting that all the senior players he mentioned were forwards! I guess this goes to show where his talents as a coach lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That's a good sign. It's interesting if you contrast that statement to the usual statement you hear from Kidney regarding selections during the pre-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭backawaygo onahead

bilston wrote: »
    Although I wonder if Caldwell could be a potential target for Leinster?

We can only hope so. Some guys I'm delighted to see return, Tommy Bowe obviously, Roger too given Pedrie's constructive dismissal but I'd be apoplectic with rage to see the penalty machine who decreed he was too good to play for the Ravens back.

I've heard people say he has been good at Bath but having seen plenty of him there, I take leave to disagree.

Stephenson clearly best placed to progress followed by Henderson.

Some seem to think Johann will finish this season, has anyone got solid confirmation? Despite all that IRFU have thrown into the mix I wouldn't be altogether surprised if JM doesn't take a further 1 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

We can only hope so. Some guys I'm delighted to see return, Tommy Bowe obviously, Roger too given Pedrie's constructive dismissal but I'd be apoplectic with rage to see the penalty machine who decreed he was too good to play for the Ravens back.

I've heard people say he has been good at Bath but having seen plenty of him there, I take leave to disagree.

Some seem to think Johann will finish this season, has anyone got solid confirmation? Despite all that IRFU have thrown into the mix I wouldn't be altogether surprised if JM doesn't take a further 1 year contract.

I think Caldwell played consistently well up to Christmas in a rancid Bath pack. He seemed to drop off a little after that but crucially he seems to have sorted out the sociopathic tendencies.

Personally I think he's better off in England. He's one of those borderline players who always seems to get stuck in controversy in his home club but thrives with a fresh start.

Well it wouldn't surprise me if Muller and Ulster decided he should have another 12 months but then would the IRFU allow it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Well it wouldn't surprise me if Muller and Ulster decided he should have another 12 months but then would the IRFU allow it?

Hmmm. Technically, no, he'd be excluded by the new rules, but if Afoa is gone (thus reducing the headcount of foreigners) and if there are no other NIQ second-rows signed up for the 2013/4 season (the only one for this year is Quinn Roux at Leinster and he's on a one-year deal), I don't see why IRFU would object. Particularly if Tuohy cements a place with ireland, Ulster would have very strong grounds for wanting to keep an experienced lock on the books.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. Technically, no, he'd be excluded by the new rules, but if Afoa is gone (thus reducing the headcount of foreigners) and if there are no other NIQ second-rows signed up for the 2013/4 season (the only one for this year is Quinn Roux at Leinster and he's on a one-year deal), I don't see why IRFU would object. Particularly if Tuohy cements a place with ireland, Ulster would have very strong grounds for wanting to keep an experienced lock on the books.

Afoa has two years left on his contract though.

Our NIQs
    Pienaar 2 years left
    Afoa 2 years left
    Williams 2 years left (assume he didn't get a 3 year contract)
    Muller 1 year left

Project Player Payne 2 years left

The thing is Muller is mentoring the likes of Henderson while bringing on Stevenson and Tuohy to another level then why would the IRFU not let him stay other than to satisfy their stupid rule about not letting NIQs sign contract extensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Afoa has two years left on his contract though.

Thought he only came on a 2-year deal, my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Nathan Hines had to go then I'd imagine Muller will as well.

If Nathan Hines had to go then I'd imagine Muller will as well.

No doubt and just like Wannenberg had to go (to be replaced by Williams seriously WTF logic is there to that?) it's a bellix rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Not sure if this is cool, Mods will delete if not, got a Heineken Cup Final Jersey for sale on Adverts if any one is interested, never worn. XXL, Hate to say it but too small for me :rolleyes:

http://www.adverts.ie/1899790

neckedit wrote: »
    Not sure if this is cool, Mods will delete if not, got a Heineken Cup Final Jersey for sale on Adverts if any one is interested, never worn. XXL, Hate to say it but too small for me :rolleyes:

I've sent you a p.m. I'm sure I could squeeze into it with a bit of help. ;) Contact me a.s.a.p.

neckedit wrote: »

I'm a Leinster fan but I'd pay that asking price!

Think jaco or one of the other Ulster boys will take it alright though.

I'm a Leinster fan but I'd pay that asking price!

Think jaco or one of the other Ulster boys will take it alright though.

Yes. I'm happy to take it at that price depending on the postage of course. I got really, really screwed a while back on delivery costs so I'm a bit wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

jacothelad wrote: »
    Yes. I'm happy to take it at that price depending on the postage of course. I got really, really screwed a while back on delivery costs so I'm a bit wary.

Cool Jaco, I replied to you on adverts, As I said there I can't see it being to dear to post to the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

I wouldn't be getting too excited at the progress of Caldwell just yet. As has been pointed out already, the Bath pack was pure muck for most of the season which makes it difficult to judge him. Their front row was poor, Atwood's form fell off a cliff, and Hooper missed a good chunk of the season, even if he's just am average Premiership plodder. Taylor is an imposter of a player

Next season will tell a lot for him. He really has improved his discipline. If he can kick on again next year then Ulster should really look at getting him back. He's a massive physical speciman and along with Henderson coming through, they could have a big impact and make the succession of Muller pretty seamless

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement