Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

jacothelad wrote: »

Took me a second to realize that it wasn't the Wasps vs Leicester...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

THat last try was excellent. Nice to see Farrell and Cochrane looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I had to replay it to catch Farrell's offload. Sublime and great dummy run.

Super try from Cochrane. The pass to him from Farrell was excellent, and he set the defender and stepped brilliantly too.

Nelson's break good too, could've done with some support!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Super try from Cochrane. The pass to him from Farrell was excellent, and he set the defender and stepped brilliantly too.

Nelson's break good too, could've done with some support!

Nelson is seriously quick as you can see. Up to a few months ago, Ferris held the record for the fastest over the first 10 metres. Nelson beat it. I also think the defender tackled him high - could have been a penalty but the young guys played very well. Leicester also were very ring rusty and could have scored a few more tries with their usual clinical approach.
    "Tyrone Howe" did you get on the lions?
    By being a very good winger....and someone else getting injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Some great signs by the young backs there. Farrell is a very exciting prospect, along with a few others this year.

It's a pity though, I thought it was Fitzpatrick that had won the penalty try when I head it first, but it was Afoa who had just come on. Still, it's good to see Callum Black involved on the loosehead side in that dominant scrum. He'll be important now, even more so with McAllister out for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭backawaygo onahead

Just back from Spain so wasn't at the game but my sources tell be Callum Black gave Castrogiovanni as much as he could handle. He didn't see much time last season as 3rd choice but yin boys misfortune is anor bey's appartunity so they say (well in certain parts of Ulster;)) and I like the cut of the wee man's jib or gub as we know it.

Looking forward to seeing what sort of team we are fielding fernenced they Geordie beys on Friday. I'm assuming it will be pretty close to the starting team versus Weegies the follyin' week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Just back from Spain so wasn't at the game but my sources tell be Callum Black gave Castrogiovanni as much as he could handle. He didn't see much time last season as 3rd choice but yin boys misfortune is anor bey's appartunity so they say (well in certain parts of Ulster;)) and I like the cut of the wee man's jib or gub as we know it.

Looking forward to seeing what sort of team we are fielding fernenced they Geordie beys on Friday. I'm assuming it will be pretty close to the starting team versus Weegies the follyin' week.
    Castro was on the LH side scrummaging against Fitzpatrick/Afoa. Black did give Dan Cole more than he can handle.

Cheers Ciaran, sounds just as comforting if not more so, Cole is a better prop in my opinion than Castro.

Cheers Ciaran, sounds just as comforting if not more so, Cole is a better prop in my opinion than Castro.
    Castro tends to do better because cheats a lot. If reffed properly Cole is the better prop imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Castro has been beaten by some very average props. He's extremely inconsistent. It's great to hear it was Cole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Haven't seen this jersey before, looks very nice.
    676624.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Hagz wrote: »
    Haven't seen this jersey before, looks very nice.
    676624.jpg

Nice that...hmmm, might have to add to the collection although they're not on sale on the ulster website. Prefer this to the new away strip. What is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

training kit

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Ulster team versus Newcastle:

Ulster (15-9):J Payne, M Allen, C Farrell, L Marshall, C Gilroy, P Jackson, M Heaney (1-8): C Black, R Herring, D Fitzpatrick, J Muller (c), L Stevenson, R Diack, M McComish, N Williams;
    Replacements: N Annett, N Brady, R Lutton, J Afoa, A Macklin, N McComb, A Birch, S Doyle, B McIlroy, N O’Connor, P Nelson, C Cochrane,

Good to see Fitzpatrick back after he went off early against Leicester.

Paul4As wrote: »
    Good to see Fitzpatrick back after he went off early against Leicester.
    We could see him coming off early again this week since Afoa and Macklin are both on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

We could see him coming off early again this week since Afoa and Macklin are both on the bench.

I assumed Fitzpatrick went off after 24 minutes due to an injury last week...that is why I was surprised to see his name on the teamsheet!
    If it was only due to squad rotation...then if he comes off early again then that's grand...will give the others a run out.

Paul4As wrote: »
    I assumed Fitzpatrick went off after 24 minutes due to an injury last week...that is why I was surprised to see his name on the teamsheet!
    If it was only due to squad rotation...then if he comes off early again then that's grand...will give the others a run out.
    I think it was rotation last week as well. Afoa and Macklin were on the teamsheet then as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

2 tries from Nick Williams converted by Jackson as ulster lead 14-0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There was a bit of an interview with Williams in the Independent today and he seem happy enough in Ulster and being coached by Anscombe.

"I'm loving it so far," said Williams, who starts at No 8 tonight. "Coming back to an English-speaking team helped a lot. It's now great to get a chance to get back playing on a team with a high profile.

"All my injuries have cleared up and I'm good to go now. While in Italy there is no doubt my love for the game took a bit of a dip. Things just were not going my way. But now after a short spell with Ulster, that love for rugby has been re-ignited. Now I just want to play to the level I know that I'm capable off.
    ---
    "Mark gave me my first chance when I was 19 at North Harbour. I know what Mark wants from a player and he knows how to get the best out of players. Now I just want to get a few more games down the track and get up to par with the other boys."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ulster-switch-rekindles-williams-love-for-game-3208991.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Keep him on a close watch and away from fast-food, and he could prove to be a very good player for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

CatFromHue wrote: »
    There was a bit of an interview with Williams in the Independent today and he seem happy enough in Ulster and being coached by Anscombe.

"I'm loving it so far," said Williams, who starts at No 8 tonight. "Coming back to an English-speaking team helped a lot. It's now great to get a chance to get back playing on a team with a high profile.

"All my injuries have cleared up and I'm good to go now. While in Italy there is no doubt my love for the game took a bit of a dip. Things just were not going my way. But now after a short spell with Ulster, that love for rugby has been re-ignited. Now I just want to play to the level I know that I'm capable off.
    ---
    "Mark gave me my first chance when I was 19 at North Harbour. I know what Mark wants from a player and he knows how to get the best out of players. Now I just want to get a few more games down the track and get up to par with the other boys."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ulster-switch-rekindles-williams-love-for-game-3208991.html

The bolded comment is weird, in his first season at Aironi Williams was scoring tries every second week in the Rabo.

Some difference in then scrum when Big John came on. Am I imagining it or is he even broader than last season.

Mixed bag tonight - Fat Nick will be a handful for anyone if he shifts 10 Kgs, young Heaney looked pretty decent as did Michael Allen, Chris Farrell looks a major prospect & another year should see Luke Marshall there or thereabouts in the 12 shirt.

Callum Black was good & Herring decent with razor sharp darts.

Not a great game but a few decent signs

The bolded comment is weird, in his first season at Aironi Williams was scoring tries every second week in the Rabo.
    He probably means last season when his season was injury wrecked and only gone nine starts for Aironi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

26 man squad named for fridays game against glasgow
    http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10713.php
    FORWARDS (15)
    Niall Annett
    Adam Macklin
    Callum Black
    John Afoa
    Lewis Stevenson
    Neil McComb
    Mike McComish
    Johann Muller
    Robbie Diack
    Sean Doyle
    Nick Williams
    Rob Herring
    Tom Court
    Nigel Brady
    Declan Fitzpatrick
    BACKS (11)
    Peter Nelson
    Jared Payne
    Niall O’Connor
    Michael Heaney
    Craig Gilroy
    Paddy Jackson
    Luke Marshall
    Paul Marshall
    Chris Farrell
    Michael Allen
    Darren Cave

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

ormond lad wrote: »
    26 man squad named for fridays game against glasgow
    http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10713.php
    FORWARDS (15)
    Niall Annett
    Adam Macklin
    Callum Black
    John Afoa
    Lewis Stevenson
    Neil McComb
    Mike McComish
    Johann Muller
    Robbie Diack
    Sean Doyle
    Nick Williams
    Rob Herring
    Tom Court
    Nigel Brady
    Declan Fitzpatrick
    BACKS (11)
    Peter Nelson
    Jared Payne
    Niall O’Connor
    Michael Heaney
    Craig Gilroy
    Paddy Jackson
    Luke Marshall
    Paul Marshall
    Chris Farrell
    Michael Allen
    Darren Cave

I think I'm right in saying that 7 out of 11 of those backs are 21 or under, two of whom are 19 (Farrell and Nelson).

bilston wrote: »
    I think I'm right in saying that 7 out of 11 of those backs are 21 or under, two of whom are 19 (Farrell and Nelson).
    Payne NOC Heaney P Marshall and Cave are all over 21 I think so 6 out of 11

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Court, Herring, Afoa, Muller, Stevenson, Diack, McComish, Williams;
    P Marshall, Jackson, Gilroy, L Marshall, Cave, Nelson?, Payne

When is Roger Wilson due back fit and is Adam D'Arcy injured as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

bilston wrote: »
    Payne NOC Heaney P Marshall and Cave are all over 21 I think so 6 out of 11

You sure about Heaney? He was in the same MCB team as Jackson, Allen, Gilroy, Annett and McIlroy (played at FB while Heaney was still at school).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement