Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

boynesider wrote: »
    ambid wrote: »
    Marshall has been injured a lot this season.

Fair point about the lack of inter-provincial transfers though.

I could have sworn I watched him playing for Ballymena around January or February?

Anyway I don't care, I just want him. He is a class act.

He got injured around October and missed a couple of months then came back and got injured again and by the time he was fit in late March every game for Ulster was a must win so McLaughlin went for the experience of Wallace, plus Whitten was playing very well.

If he stays fit he'll get more chances next year.

Your general point is right though, for example Ian Nagle should have left Munster two years ago and there's an argument for Madigan to move elsewhere otherwise in 12-18 months he could be behind Sexton, JJ and Jackson if things go according to plan over the next season or two. Likewise Whitten would have been a good signing for another province.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

boynesider wrote: »
    Don't know why Ulster don't try for one of the glut of young irish backrowers coming through at Leinster. Ulster don't seem to be producing quality backrowers since Ferris (IMO Hnederson will end up as a second row) while there is a surfeit of excellent lads between the ages of 17 and 22 at Leinster and there definitely wont be room for all of them.
    Gotta agree. Between Heaslip, SOB, McLaughlin, Jennings, Ryan, Ruddock, and Aauva in the senior squad and Marshall, Murphy, Coghlan, CRuddock, Gilsenan in the academy as well as talents like Conan in the sub academy and people like Leavy just coming out of schools.

Gotta agree. Between Heaslip, SOB, McLaughlin, Jennings, Ryan, Ruddock, and Aauva in the senior squad and Marshall, Murphy, Coghlan, CRuddock, Gilsenan in the academy as well as talents like Conan in the sub academy and people like Leavy just coming out of schools.

Also apart from Jennings none are remotely close to retirement and even Jennings is only what 31 so still has a bit to go. Dom Ryan or McLaughlin would be good signings for either Ulster or Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

bilston wrote: »
    Also apart from Jennings none are remotely close to retirement and even Jennings is only what 31 so still has a bit to go. Dom Ryan or McLaughlin would be good signings for either Ulster or Munster.

Why in the name of god would McLaughlin leave Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

danthefan wrote: »

Neither Dippy or Locky are going anywhere. Itd be madness to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Ulster could do worse than snap up someone like Jordi Murphy as back up. Hard to see him getting much time with Leinster but would be fairly capable at pro12 level by now.

danthefan wrote: »
    bilston wrote: »

It was a typo I was thinking Ruddock but typed McLaughlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

A few pre-seasons..

Bayonne (Away) - Thursday 9th August
    Leicester Tigers (Home) Saturday 18th
    Newcastle Falcons (Home) - Friday 24th

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bantron

Ulster have signed Niall O'Connor & Rob Herring. They join Tommy Bowe and Roger Wilson as new recruits for 2012/13
    http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10589.php

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

hahaha I await Jaco's reaction post! :D

I'd love to know the length of NOC's contract, I can understand bringing him back for one season (until Jackson and Olding develop further) but anything more than that until NOC proves he deserves it is bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

bantron wrote: »
    Ulster have signed Niall O'Connor & Rob Herring. They join Tommy Bowe and Roger Wilson as new recruits for 2012/13

Thought this bit was interesting:
    During his time with Ulster, O’Connor made 51 appearances and scored 212 points. He will compete for the starting flyhalf position with Ireland U20 captain Paddy Jackson and South Afican International Ruan Pienaar.

“Niall went away and gained a year’s experience playing with Connacht and he has now come back to challenge Paddy and Ruan for the number 10 jersey” said Humphreys.

Thought Pienaar didn't want to play 10.

some serious embellishment and spin on that article!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bantron wrote: »

I'm just off to buy the rope. Farewell old friends.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I do find this a strange decision and I wouldn't be too surprised if Paddy Wallace plays a few games at 10 next season.

While Peinaar is an able 10 he's also publicly stated he doesn't want to play there and much prefers focussing on the one position.

That just leaves NOC and Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

NOC is lucky to have a pro contract in Ireland at this stage. Haven't seen anything to suggest he's good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Pretty sure that whole paragraph about NOC competing with Pienaar was specifically included to point out that the situation re: Pienaar at 10 has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Any chance of Ulster picking up a short term replacement for Pienaar while he is off playing for SA, as I think they will be pretty screwed otherwise without someone experienced at either 9 or 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭macslash

Anyone any info on Herring?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Any chance of Ulster picking up a short term replacement for Pienaar while he is off playing for SA, as I think they will be pretty screwed otherwise without someone experienced at either 9 or 10

What's Willis up to at the moment does anyone know? He did a decent job at the beginning of the season for Leinster when Reddan and Boss were away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

WeeBushy wrote: »
    What's Willis up to at the moment does anyone know? He did a decent job at the beginning of the season for Leinster when Reddan and Boss were away.

Has been with Sale since, deputising for Dwayne Peel and getting a fair bit of game time too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Some nice quotes from Anscombe about creating a squad:

"The Kiwi brings with him a wealth of experience in nurturing young talent, having previously been in charge of the all-conquering Baby Blacks.

And he made it clear to the RaboDirect PRO12 club's seniors players that they will have to watch their backs.

He said: "I've got a lot of experience in that area with development teams in New Zealand and it is crucial for Ulster going forward that we develop our own players.

"To do that, you challenge the players, you work them, you make them feel accountable for their own performances.

"Week after week they will be watching over their shoulders if they're not performing. We want to create a healthy environment of guys challenging each other for positions.""

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/14216.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

can anyone tell me the last time P Wallace started a game at 10??

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me the last time P Wallace started a game at 10??

I recall him starting at 10 away to Connacht, think it was before the World Cup. I'm pretty sure he started at 10 for the Ireland XV game against Connacht during the RWC warmup period too.

I'm pretty sure he started at 10 for the Ireland XV game against Connacht during the RWC warmup period too.

He did. He played well too, he was always trying to create something.

Ulster Rugby today announced the signings of scrumhalf Michael Heaney and back row forward Sean Doyle...

Heaney has rejoined the club from Doncaster Knights on a 4 month short term deal, with the opportunity of a full time contract at the end of that period.
    A graduate of the Phoenix Ulster Academy, Heaney has represented Ulster at all levels and made his senior debut for the Province in a pre-season friendly away to Harlequins in August 2010. He was a member of the Ireland U20 squad that won the 2010 Six Nations Championship and also competed in the IRB Junior World Championships later that year.

The 21 year old joined Doncaster midway through the 2011/12 season after playing his club rugby in Ulster with Belfast Harlequins.

Doyle is an Australian born openside flanker who has joined from Sydney club side Southern Districts. The Irish-qualified 22 year old has been one of the leading players in the New South Wales Premier Grade over the past four seasons and has also been a strong performer for the NSW ‘A’ representative side.

Michael Heaney
    D.O.B: 05/11/90
    Height: 1.76m
    Weight: 80kg
    Position: Scrumhalf
    Honours: Ireland U20, Ulster Rugby, Doncaster Knights

Sean Doyle
    D.O.B: 29/06/89
    Height: 1.84m
    Weight: 99kg
    Position: Openside flanker
    Honours: NSW ‘A’

Pienaar is barely going to play for Ulster before Christmas if he's involved in the Rugby Championship and subsequent autumn internationals, makes sense to bring in cover.

And another..

Ulster Rugby has today confirmed the signing of back row Nick Williams on a two year contract...

Weighing 120kgs, he is an intimidating presence on the field and is regarded as one of the most explosive ball carriers in Europe.
    The 28 year old had a successful career in his homeland, making 37 Super Rugby appearances for the Blues during a four year spell. He also played for North Harbour under new Ulster coach Mark Anscombe in the Air New Zealand Cup.

Williams joined Munster ahead of the 2008/09 campaign and helped them secure the Magners League title in his debut season. He then moved to Italian franchise Aironi and his scoring record of 10 tries in 31 league games underlined his importance to them.

Director of Rugby, David Humphreys, believes Williams will prove to be a major success in Belfast as his side targets success in the Heineken Cup and PRO12. “Nick was a standout player during his time at Aironi and he will add a great deal to our squad. His addition means there will be real depth right across the back row and this is vital, given that Stephen Ferris is under an IRFU Player Management Programme.

“Mark Anscombe brought him out of club rugby in New Zealand and believes he can make a huge impact here at Ulster. He is an excellent ball carrier and is a very physical in defence,” added Humphreys.

but Nick Williams isn't South African!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

CatFromHue wrote: »
    but Nick Williams isn't South African!

:pac:

He could be a very good player if he ever got truly fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement