Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Surley wrote: »
    With Frans Steyn moving back to SA, is Pienaar the only non SA based player in the squad? I thought they had a policy of selecting home based players only?

Peter de Villiers picked a couple of non-SA based players late into his tenure, I think the union allows the coach to pick 3-4 IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ruan Pienaar has been included in the Springbok squad for their June tests.

If he is selected for the subsequent Rugby Championship then he won't be available to Ulster till the end of October. Then there will be the Autumn Internationals in November, if selected in November too Pienaar might only be available for 5-6 Ulster fixtures before the New Year.

This issue has seen Argentinian players struggle to get good contracts in Europe, with clubs reluctant to pay good money to players that will miss a significant part of the season.

The frustrating thing here is that he's probably going to be third choice behind Du Preez and the more versatile Hougaard, so he could literally be doing squat all throughout the Rugby Championship and still be unavailable for Ulster.

Edit - With Marshall away to NZ there's a chance he might miss the first couple of games of the season as well and Ian Porter is supposedly away to Rotherham or some such Championship team so Ulster may have a severe scrum half crisis for the early part of next season, not to mention a young and inexperienced out half.

Welcome to Ulster Mr Anscombe...

bilston wrote: »
    The frustrating thing here is that he's probably going to be third choice behind Du Preez and the more versatile Hougaard, so he could literally be doing squat all throughout the Rugby Championship and still be unavailable for Ulster.

Edit - With Marshall away to NZ there's a chance he might miss the first couple of games of the season as well and Ian Porter is supposedly away to Rotherham or some such Championship team so Ulster may have a severe scrum half crisis for the early part of next season, not to mention a young and inexperienced out half.

Welcome to Ulster Mr Anscombe...

du Preez wasn't selected, he hasn't played for 2 months since the Japanese season only runs for 3 months (easy money or what?) so he's told Meyer he isn't match fit. The other scrum-halves aside from Pienaar are Hougaard and Vermaak (both Bulls). I'd say Pienaar will at least make the bench because of his versatility.

du Preez wasn't selected, he hasn't played for 2 months since the Japanese season only runs for 3 months (easy money or what?) so he's told Meyer he isn't match fit. The other scrum-halves aside from Pienaar are Hougaard and Vermaak (both Bulls). I'd say Pienaar will at least make the bench because of his versatility.

Fair enough, I thought I read that Du Preez was going to be captain. Well then it's easier to take if Pienaar is actually playing for SA rather than scratching his arse for three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd think Pienaar will start.

Bit of an issue for Ulster alright. I don't think Marshall will feature for Ireland so I'd imagine he'll start and then Pienaar will be back for H Cup

• Advertisement

Bit of an issue for Ulster alright. I don't think Marshall will feature for Ireland so I'd imagine he'll start and then Pienaar will be back for H Cup

I think the main issue for Marshall will be that he's going to be a few weeks behind in terms of pre season. Blane McIlroy could be thrust into the limlight early next season...he's fairly average but then he's only young and can hopefully get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

No different than the season just passed then, be good to see Marshall get a run of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

The irfu player welfare programme could mean that Marshall regardless of if he plays; has to be rested for some games at the start of the season. I don't remember the circumstances exactly, but Ruddock was called up as injury or suspension cover in NZ played one match and had to be rested just like guys who toured from the start when he came back.

yimrsg wrote: »
    The irfu player welfare programme could mean that Marshall regardless of if he plays; has to be rested for some games at the start of the season. I don't remember the circumstances exactly, but Ruddock was called up as injury or suspension cover in NZ played one match and had to be rested just like guys who toured from the start when he came back.
    He had been playing continuously all summer. He had finished with Leinster, gone to the JWC, played for Ireland u20s then joined the senior squad and played for them as well. He needed the rest after all those games.

If Marshall doesn't play any he could well come in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cartoonninja

Can anybody explain why mckinney and porter are leaving?. Was mckinneys deal finalised before humps was leaving?. Anytime ive seen porter I thought he had alot of promising aspects of his play and jackson and mckinney would dovetail nicely as a pair of two outhalfs with different styles to suit the opposition. I can understand the need for gametime but both would get gametime at ulster next year, with ruan and marshall possibling playing internationally and mckinney would surely play with the lack of outhalfs in the squad and with peinarr wanting to play nine. They look short in squad depth at backrow and halfback next year

• Advertisement

Can anybody explain why mckinney and porter are leaving?. Was mckinneys deal finalised before humps was leaving?. Anytime ive seen porter I thought he had alot of promising aspects of his play and jackson and mckinney would dovetail nicely as a pair of two outhalfs with different styles to suit the opposition. I can understand the need for gametime but both would get gametime at ulster next year, with ruan and marshall possibling playing internationally and mckinney would surely play with the lack of outhalfs in the squad and with peinarr wanting to play nine. They look short in squad depth at backrow and halfback next year

Our squad hasn't been finalised yet though, I believe we have two signings to announce, differing reports as to who they may be though. I expect they'll be a back rower and maybe a utility back who can play 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Anybody know what happened to Charlie Simpson? I remember watching him in the schools cup final a few years back and he was the stand out player on the pitch, havent really heard much about him since though.

shuffol wrote: »
    Anybody know what happened to Charlie Simpson? I remember watching him in the schools cup final a few years back and he was the stand out player on the pitch, havent really heard much about him since though.

I think he went to Uni in Wales and was maybe playing for Newport the last I heard. He was a very good player at Schools level, I think he'd be the same age as Paddy Jackson and Iain Henderson.

This isn't really connected to Ulster but to Irish rugby in general but I'm pretty sure there is a very good young Irish FB at Leicester, I think his name is McCauley, first name might be Martin. I think he is originally from Ulster but went to school in Dublin and played for Leinster at Schools level. Anyone know whether he is still at Leicester? He'd be about 20 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

This isn't really connected to Ulster but to Irish rugby in general but I'm pretty sure there is a very good young Irish FB at Leicester, I think his name is McCauley, first name might be Martin. I think he is originally from Ulster but went to school in Dublin and played for Leinster at Schools level. Anyone know whether he is still at Leicester? He'd be about 20 now.

Stephen Macauley. He played for Clongowes, 19 and is still listed in the Leicester Academy.

INPHO_00410593.jpg

Hagz wrote: »
    Stephen Macauley. He played for Clongowes, 19 and is still listed in the Leicester Academy.

INPHO_00410593.jpg

That's the one, he's meant to be a talent. I suppose being based in England will have ruled him out of contention for the U20s, then again between Layden, Nelson and Sherlock we're not short at 15.

Ulster lined to NOC to replace Humphreys and Jacque Botes to replace Wannenburg. Botes is a flanker for the Sharks (uncapped), mostly a reserve player AFAIK and he'll be 32 in November. Not exactly a big name signing.

They are also linked to a Saffer to replace Kyriacou, I don't recognise the name. According to BBC he's Irish qualified which would make a move possible.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7795280,00.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18323254

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are also linked to a Saffer to replace Kyriacou, I don't recognise the name.

I think he might be a bit of a RED HERRING.

I'm so sorry, someone had to do it.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think he might be a bit of a RED HERRING.

I'm so sorry, someone had to do it.

:(:(:(

Botes has been rumoured on UAFC for a few days but we'll see on that one. If it does come to pass though it will just show the utter folly of the IRFU's NIQ contract policy.

Wanneberg isn't allowed to sign a 2 year contract because he's already been here two years and is 30/31. So instead we have to let a great servant to Ulster go and what does it look like we're going to do? It looks like we're going to replace him with a 31 year old South African...I can only assume we'd be getting him on the cheap...

Botes has been rumoured on UAFC for a few days but we'll see on that one. If it does come to pass though it will just show the utter folly of the IRFU's NIQ contract policy.

Wanneberg isn't allowed to sign a 2 year contract because he's already been here two years and is 30/31. So instead we have to let a great servant to Ulster go and what does it look like we're going to do? It looks like we're going to replace him with a 31 year old South African...I can only assume we'd be getting him on the cheap...

Wannenberg was dumb enough to turn down an offer originally so it's not quite as simple as him "not being allowed."

Also, Botes is a flanker. Wannenberg played 8 mostly. It is much more fair to say Wilson is replacing Wannenberg wouldn't you think? Botes would be replacing Falloon more like.

• Advertisement

Wannenberg was dumb enough to turn down an offer originally so it's not quite as simple as him "not being allowed."

Also, Botes is a flanker. Wannenberg played 8 mostly. It is much more fair to say Wilson is replacing Wannenberg wouldn't you think? Botes would be replacing Falloon more like.

Did Wannenberg not turn down a 1 year deal saying he wanted a 2 year deal? Of course you're right in the sense that when these things happen it's all too easy to blame the IRFU and not the player.

Wannenberg is/was an 8/6. Wilson was signed before it was known that P3 was leaving but sure we'll see. It may be that Botes will sign a 1 year contract and then this time next year when Muller retires and Botes comes off contract we'll have enough cash in the piggy bank for a big name player...ahem I believe someone called Heinrich Brussow is out of contract at the Cheetahs this time next year...

Brussow was left out of the SA squad amazingly, if that is something that continues I doubt he'll stay in SA for long.

Brussow was left out of the SA squad amazingly, if that is something that continues I doubt he'll stay in SA for long.

Yep, although hopefully Pienaar is proof that players can leave SA and still be considered for Bok selection. Obviously it's logistically easier for Saffers to do it than Aussies or Kiwis but still it's progressive from the Saffers. Didn't De Villiers play for SA while at Munster and Botha, Kempson, Muller and Pienaar all did or are doing it while at Ulster. Butch James at Bath would be another. So Brussow may be fair game whether he's in the Bok squad or not...not just for Ulster unfortunately, he'll be a player in demand I'd have thought.

Ulster would prefer a player not selected for the Boks, Pienaar is going to miss a large chunk of the season before Christmas if he's selected throughout the Bok's autumn calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Boates would be a good signing, he's an excellent try scoring record for a forward. The sharks have an abundance of good backrowers on their books (Kankowski, Alberts, Coetzee and Daniel were all called up for the Boks) so calling him a backup forward isn't a fair reflection of how good he actually is. If they get him, they'll have seriously improved the squad depth of the backrow from last season: Ferris, Henry, Wilson, Boates and Henderson to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Don't know why Ulster don't try for one of the glut of young irish backrowers coming through at Leinster. Ulster don't seem to be producing quality backrowers since Ferris (IMO Hnederson will end up as a second row) while there is a surfeit of excellent lads between the ages of 17 and 22 at Leinster and there definitely wont be room for all of them.

Despite the success of our provinces, I still think we have a long way to go before we maximise the potential of inter-provincial transfers. It is something which occurs regularly in the SH nations as it gives players game time and keeps them fresh mentally, although provincial loyalty wouldn't be quite as strong as it is in Ireland. Still though, it is something which should be looked at a lot more. Munster have two good hookers with the u20's in Rael and Scannell who look ready to step up, and I certainly wouldn't mind Leinster getting our hands on one of them. I wouldn't say no to Luke Marshall either. D'arcy mightn't hold out too for much longer, and it seems to me that Marshall isn't playing as much as he should be for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

boynesider wrote: »
    Don't know why Ulster don't try for one of the glut of young irish backrowers coming through at Leinster. Ulster don't seem to be producing quality backrowers since Ferris (IMO Hnederson will end up as a second row) while there is a surfeit of excellent lads between the ages of 17 and 22 at Leinster and there definitely wont be room for all of them.

Despite the success of our provinces, I still think we have a long way to go before we maximise the potential of inter-provincial transfers. It is something which occurs regularly in the SH nations as it gives players game time and keeps them fresh mentally, although provincial loyalty wouldn't be quite as strong as it is in Ireland. Still though, it is something which should be looked at a lot more. Munster have two good hookers with the u20's in Rael and Scannell who look ready to step up, and I certainly wouldn't mind Leinster getting our hands on one of them. I wouldn't say no to Luke Marshall either. D'arcy mightn't hold out too for much longer, and it seems to me that Marshall isn't playing as much as he should be for Ulster.

Marshall has been injured a lot this season.

Fair point about the lack of inter-provincial transfers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd prefer if we ditched the B&I cup and just played an interprovincial tournament instead. It would draw decent crowds and would expose the players to the other provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

ambid wrote: »
    Marshall has been injured a lot this season.

Fair point about the lack of inter-provincial transfers though.

I could have sworn I watched him playing for Ballymena around January or February?

Anyway I don't care, I just want him. He is a class act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Hagz wrote: »
    I'd prefer if we ditched the B&I cup and just played an interprovincial tournament instead. It would draw decent crowds and would expose the players to the other provinces.
    I wouldnt. Much prefer Munster playing A games against the likes of Bristol/Melrose etc than always playing Leinster/Ulster A
    B&I Cup draws decent crowds and the A teams do play each other outside of the B&I Cup

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement