Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bilston wrote: »
    I'll be disapointed if McKinney's move is confirmed. I was looking forward to him and Jackson being our two 10s in the future. They are contrasting players and while Jackson is better there should still be a role for McKinney. Maybe we might find that NOC is signing a one year deal, McKinney is doing likewise at Bristol to get gametime at a decent level and then all of a sudden come 2013/14 McKinney will come back to Ulster a better player. That's pure speculation on my part but if true would be a decent plan. McKinney is only 21 after all.

Rotterham Titans
    http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/irish-recruit-to-bolster-rotherham-titans-1-4547568

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Here's a nice article for all us MCB old boys. I still remember the run up to the School's Cup Final in 1968 - which we lost - with real clarity.

Here's a nice article for all us MCB old boys. I still remember the run up to the School's Cup Final in 1968 - which we lost - with real clarity.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0516/1224316192650.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

jacothelad wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0516/1224316192650.html

Fascinating article. Considering the drop out rate after school from boys giving up the game this is most impressive. Didn't reailse they started training so soon after the Cup final? Does this not interfere with study/exams a bit?

Fascinating article. Considering the drop out rate after school from boys giving up the game this is most impressive. Didn't reailse they started training so soon after the Cup final? Does this not interfere with study/exams a bit?

The academic side of things - as at most rugby schools - is foremost. Even back in the 1960s one of our players was not bothering much apart from the rugby. He was taken aside by the head of sports and simply told that he needed to get back on track before he would get onto the pitch. He did. MCB is a seriously focused academic school first and foremost. The reason why there were very few MCB internationals in previous decades was down to the fact that most guys went to England or Scotland to university at 18 and as you know, most get a decent career / life / woman and never return. Professionalism has changed that a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

jacothelad wrote: »
    The academic side of things - as at most rugby schools - is foremost. Even back in the 1960s one of our players was not bothering much apart from the rugby. He was taken aside by the head of sports and simply told that he needed to get back on track before he would get onto the pitch. He did. MCB is a seriously focused academic school first and foremost. The reason why there were very few MCB internationals in previous decades was down to the fact that most guys went to England or Scotland to university at 18 and as you know, most get a decent career / life / woman and never return. Professionalism has changed that a bit.

Yep as good as Methody have been over the years it's hard to remember them producing as much talent for Ulster as they have done in the last three or four years. I guess that's down to professionalism.

The Methody side with the likes of Macklin, Annett, Carey, Leckey, McIlroy, Jackson, Allen and Gilroy was one hell of a team. I'd say three of them will go on and play for Ireland.

For what it's worth here's a breakdown of where the current Ulster squad went to school. I don't know where Tim Barker went so I've excluded him. it shows there is a ogood mix and the totla number of RBAI players gives lie to myth that country schools get shafted by the Ulster Branch.

MCB - 5
    Wallace - 3
    Campbell - 4
    Ballymena Academy - 2
    Banbridge Academy - 2
    Royal School Armagh - 2
    Royal School Dungannon - 1
    Sullivan Upper School - 1
    Ballyclare High School - 1
    Friends - 1
    Coleraine Academical Institution - 1

Edited the Wallace and Campbell totals as for some reason I thought Mike McComish was an ex Wallace man, think the fact he'd play Cricket for Lisburn is what confused me there.

The amazing thing is there is no one from RBAI, Roger Wilson will change that next season and Ryan Caldwell if he ever comes back will be another but really RBAI should be on a par with Methody or close to it in producing players for Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

danthefan wrote: »
    Seems like it actually had nothing to do with him though. Either way its ridiculously embarrassing and incredibly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

danthefan wrote: »

That is a potentially huge deal, surely? The worst kind of racist comments coming from his phone is something he needs to explain.

If he can't, then Ulster will surely consider whether those kind of comments are something with which they want to be associated, or whether they should distance themselves by withdrawing their offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

ambid wrote: »
    That is a potentially huge deal, surely? The worst kind of racist comments coming from his phone is something he needs to explain.

If he can't, then Ulster will surely consider whether those kind of comments are something with which they want to be associated, or whether they should distance themselves by withdrawing their offer.

There's an explanation from him in the IT article about it:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0517/1224316238488.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Pretty sure Lam didn't implicate him. I think it's just the media hoping there'll be a big story here.

It's absolutely ridiculous though for someone at that level to be involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Pretty sure Lam didn't implicate him. I think it's just the media hoping there'll be a big story here.

It's absolutely ridiculous though for someone at that level to be involved in.

I'd say it's really embarrassing for him to be involved in this. He didn't do anything wrong except have friends with questionable humour. I'd say he's raging with whoever it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

pretty embarrassing for Anscombe, I wouldn't like to be his "friend"!

pretty embarrassing for Anscombe, I wouldn't like to be his "friend"!

The problem here is that this could become a major story whether it was anything to do with him or not. The only way he can absolutely clear his name is by revealing the identity of the person who sent the text. This could threaten his career with Ulster, he'll need to think long and hard as to whether his "friend" is worth protecting. I wonder if we're all thinking the same thing here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I dunno about you guys but I certainly have a few friends dumb enough to do something like that after a few jars (and without knowing the content of the text its pure guesswork as to how bad it was. It could have been nothing but offensive or clearly a very bad attempt at a shock joke). I'd be unlikely to hang them out to dry either. This is really the sort of thing that should be dealt with quietly between Law and Anscombe and not through the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I dunno about you guys but I certainly have a few friends dumb enough to do something like that after a few jars (and without knowing the content of the text its pure guesswork as to how bad it was. It could have been nothing but offensive or clearly a very bad attempt at a shock joke). I'd be unlikely to hang them out to dry either. This is really the sort of thing that should be dealt with quietly between Law and Anscombe and not through the press.

It contained an extremely offensive and all too common word used to describe black people in a derogatory manner. I'm sure you can work it out from there.

Apparently it was sent about a month ago...around about the time Pat Lam broke down over racist abuse online...Ulster won't comment now and I'm sure they will keep their counsel until after the final but there is a chance this story may get quite big next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but if there are any Ulster fans not going to the match and live in Dublin, what pub is best to watch it in? Cheers

Does todays performance change any opinions about the situation at halfback for next season.

Jackson wasn't great at 10 by any strech of the imagination. Consensus seems to be that Marshall is best as an impact sub.

Porter McKinney and Humprhies leaving will surely leave the team thin at 9/10 in terms of debt.

Has NOC's return been anounced yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

Does todays performance change any opinions about the situation at halfback for next season.

Jackson wasn't great at 10 by any strech of the imagination. Consensus seems to be that Marshall is best as an impact sub.

Porter McKinney and Humprhies leaving will surely leave the team thin at 9/10 in terms of debt.

Has NOC's return been anounced yet?

Jackson will come good, it's just a matter of giving him time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jackson had one bad game against probably the best side he'll ever face in an Ulster jersey.

Redsock wrote: »
    Jackson will come good, it's just a matter of giving him time.
    Oh I know he will, while he has impressed me so far he doesn't strike me as being ready to be the number next year. Might be just a reaction to today.

I see him as a player with brilliant potential, he could very well end as a ROG that can tackle :rolleyes: but does it mean Ulster are giving up on next season as I don't think he is there yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure how much Jackson was picked for Humpreys being bad or Jackson being good.

I'm not having a go at Jackson but McLaughlins hand may have been forced by Humphreys poor from.

He had a shocker away to Cardiff, really bad, and then didn't start the next two games with Pienaar being 10 instead.

He then came back for the two games before the Munster game but was poor against Munster. Then there was the loss to Connacht a week later which I didn't see so can't comment on.

I think the Ulster management lost faith in him after the Munster game though.

Jackson came in for the Leinster and then the Edinburgh game and was solid in both and pretty good from what I remember of the Leinster game.

I think given the option of an out of form Humphreys or a solid to good Jackson I'd have gone for Jackson.

I'd be surprised if some one else doesn't come in for next season to help cover 10. It's a fairly big jump of faith to have a 20/21 year old with only 9 senior starts to his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Blackheath

Jackson will have learned a valuable lesson yesterday which will stand him in good stead in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Early days for Jackson yet, he'll have an entire season as Ulsters first choice ten next year to prove himself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I nearly got lynched for suggesting Jackson wasn't much more than a passenger in the semi but I felt it was way to early for him

Heaps of potential but I think the dice should have been rolled with iHumph yday

Jackson made two or three bad errors, the DG was a bad option and poorly executed the kick which went into touch with about 10 metres to spare was a sign of nerves, it was disapointing but in saying he started the game well, fizzing the ball out to the backs and I thought we looked very dangerous then. A full season of Pro 12 rugby and HEC rugby under his belt will make him a much better player. There has been an obvious improvement in the last 12 months and hopefully the same will happen next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Think the DG was a fine option, Ulster didn't much look like breaking the tryline. It was just woeful execution.

He's certainly a better option then Humphreys, who was inconsistent and pathetic in defence at times. May have to endure some difficulties with him next season though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Barnes seemed to take some glee in Jacksons mistakes at the weekend

Sickened me tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Barnes seemed to take some glee in Jacksons mistakes at the weekend

Sickened me tbh

:confused: I thought they were very understanding, saying he will come back better, it was a valuable experience etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement