Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Jackson has talent but in the U20 six nations he didn't play well at all.

It didn't effect the final outcome of the match anyhow. Jackson will need a few seasons but he'll improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

profitius wrote: »

It didn't effect the final outcome of the match anyhow. Jackson will need a few seasons but he'll improve.

Not true, he'd a very competent 6N, his passing was excellent and his probing kicks always kept defences guessing, his goalkicking was below par though.

shuffol wrote: »
    Not true, he'd a very competent 6N, his passing was excellent and his probing kicks always kept defences guessing, his goalkicking was below par though.

Not from what I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I agree, I thought he was fairly average in the U20 6 nations tournament. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18162690

Jeremy Staunton unsure over life after Leicester Tigers

Ulster should be all over this...surely he would be cheap enough considering how late it is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Staunton would be a better signing than NOC.

Also, if I'm correct Ulster have a NIQ slot free for next season? Afoa, Muller, Pienaar are the NIQs while Payne is a 'project player'. That's only 3+1, or am I forgetting something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Staunton would be a better signing than NOC.

Also, if I'm correct Ulster have a NIQ slot free for next season? Afoa, Muller, Pienaar are the NIQs while Payne is a 'project player'. That's only 3+1, or am I forgetting something?
    Yeah, rumours say that Ulster are looking at a backrow forward. While they have Wilson Henry and Ferris after that its Diack and Birch in terms of cover. They need a backrow forward if they can't get an IQ then it has to be a NIQ

But yeah I think Staunton would be a good option for Ulster.

Rugby Transfers Blogspot has Nick Williams as an Ulster transfer rumour, after how he did (or didn't!) at Munster I'd be stunned if Ulster signed him. That being said, he was excellent for Aironi, he had a great try scoring record IIRC.

Staunton would be ideal. Absolutely ideal.

Not going to "steal" time from Paddy Jackson as he steers himself into an Ireland Jersey over the next 3 years, but an able enough replacement to rotate with him to give him breaks as well as being senior enough to be trusted with some good gametime in HEC games.

I don't think there's a better candidate as a guiding force.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For where Ulster want to go I don't think Staunton or NOC are the right fit.

NOC didn't work out the last time he was up there and has shown no reason why he would again.

Staunton to me is very like Humphreys and unfortunately I have to say most of the times I've seen him play he's been more miss than hit. He's effectively a journeyman player in that since he left Munster he's had two seasons with Harlequins, one with London Irish, two with Wasps, and I think three now with Leicester and to the best of my knowledge never setting the world alight in any of these clubs.

Jackson is a young guy who's shown a lot of promise but in my ideal squad I'd have him as second choice behind a more established outhalf. The ideal player they should sign is Sexton (obviously this isn't going to happen) because Sexton would be able to bring that quality needed to the team for the big games but then wouldn't be around all season leaving Jackson with plenty of games to develop.

A problem with Ulster at the moment is that their first 15 is excellent but they don't have enough quality beyond this 15. NOC or Staunton wouldn't improve this but having Jackson behind a top class outhalf you would.

For Ulster to push on with their improvement they need a top class outhalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Can someone rationalize the resigning of NOC for me

I just can't see the sense in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

NOC is not an option, plain and simple but there's a dearth of others too.

I'd hold out hope for Jackson to keep the jersey next year with IH as back-up.

He had a shocker in the biggest game of his career so far but he's only a kid. He looked pretty composed in most of the games I've seen him in this year.

Pienaar is great player to have alongside him too as he takes alot of the pressure off. He can also operate at 10 obviously.

trackguy wrote: »
    NOC is not an option, plain and simple but there's a dearth of others too.

I'd hold out hope for Jackson to keep the jersey next year with IH as back-up.

He had a shocker in the biggest game of his career so far but he's only a kid. He looked pretty composed in most of the games I've seen him in this year.

Pienaar is great player to have alongside him too as he takes alot of the pressure off. He can also operate at 10 obviously.

NOC is already signed and IH is on the way to London Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    NOC is already signed and IH is on the way to London Irish

Jaysus - guess I should have read back further in the thread.

So NOC is the back-up as opposed to IH. Surely they are looking at Jackson as 1st choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

There's always Pienaar too if they don't have faith in Jackson to control the big matches? Though I think it looks like they are going to thrust the full responsibility of OH on him next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Can someone rationalize the resigning of NOC for me

I just can't see the sense in it

Because Ulsters 10s for next season are Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding. 20 and 19 respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Ulster want Jackson to rest for the summer and not travel to SA with the u-20s.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0523/1224316551134.html

ugh, so torn on this.

Really want him to go play the WC, but also think that that's not a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You've said this before, Jackson played perfectly well in the 6Ns, his goalkicking wasn't great at the beginning but his general play was fine. He's easily the most competent age grade out half we've had in years. His problem is that he was hyped beyond sense by some Ulster fans and therefore people were expecting him to win games on his own at U20 level.

ugh, so torn on this.

Really want him to go play the WC, but also think that that's not a terrible idea.

I'd have thought it would be better for him to get back on the horse asap.

However from an Ireland point of view it's probably better to give Marsh a chance with Olding as back up and of course JJ as well. Jackson has already played in a JWC and appears now to be Ulster's first choice 10 so will he learn anything new in SA? Everyday is a learning day of course but from a player development point of view his spot might be better used on others.

• Advertisement

I think it would be a slap in the face from Ulster to the Irish 20's squad to keep Jackson at home

he's there captain and I can bet Jackson himself wants to go

bilston wrote: »
    You've said this before, Jackson played perfectly well in the 6Ns, his goalkicking wasn't great at the beginning but his general play was fine. He's easily the most competent age grade out half we've had in years. His problem is that he was hyped beyond sense by some Ulster fans and therefore people were expecting him to win games on his own at U20 level.

He made alot of errors besides his goal kicking and Cathal Marsh improved things when he came on.

Maybe I've been unlucky but from what I have seen of Jackson so far he hasn't impressed me much to be honest. I'm not writing him off he could come good yet but I remember years ago at that level Jeremy Staunton was rated higher than ROG.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

shuffol wrote: »
    Ulster want Jackson to rest for the summer and not travel to SA with the u-20s.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0523/1224316551134.html

There was talk last year of teams pulling out of the competition altogether as the U20 players were ending up getting no or a very small off season. The competition runs up until the 22 June which is the same weekend as the last of the senior international tour games. The U20's will be expected back in training alot sooner than the seniors though.

What else was interesting about that article was Pienaar saying he wanted to play 9:

"the versatile Springbok has made it clear he signed for Ulster until 2014 to play scrumhalf.

“I really enjoy playing more at nine and that is what I came over here for, back home one week I was playing nine and the next week I was playing 10 then 15 and I didn’t really enjoy it, playing at scrumhalf every week has been good for me,” Pienaar said."

The NOC signing is bizarre as between him and Jackson Ulster will end up with two second choice outhalves but no first choice if you get what I mean!

He made alot of errors besides his goal kicking and Cathal Marsh improved things when he came on.

Maybe I've been unlucky but from what I have seen of Jackson so far he hasn't impressed me much to be honest. I'm not writing him off he could come good yet but I remember years ago at that level Jeremy Staunton was rated higher than ROG.

Your opinion, fair enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The NOC signing is bizarre as between him and Jackson Ulster will end up with two second choice outhalves but no first choice if you get what I mean!

I'm hearing rumours that NOC won't happen.

I know that a few weeks ago Connacht gave Ulster permission to talk to NOC despite NOC still being in contract. Apparently Ulster are offering a contract and NOC are demanding a longer one. He sees Ulster needing a cover 10 and being desperate due to IQ slots and this is his chance to extend his professional career.

Staunton is in the picture instead of him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Looks like McLaughlin is not actually taking charge of Ulster academy but actually taking a position under the new guy taking charge of the academy.....

It seems a HEC Final following on from a HEC QF and Pro12 Semi Final the year before really doesn't count for much these days.

padser wrote: »
    Looks like McLaughlin is not actually taking charge of Ulster academy but actually taking a position under the new guy taking charge of the academy.....

It seems a HEC Final following on from a HEC QF and Pro12 Semi Final the year before really doesn't count for much these days.

Maybe the role he is being given in the Academy is the role he wants?

Brian knew all of this was going to happen when he signed his 1 year contract last year. Maybe he felt that good results this year would change that but the problem is that when it was made public that he was being replaced Ulster hadn't reached the HEC final or even the semi final. Evidently that has all come too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

bilston wrote: »
    Maybe the role he is being given in the Academy is the role he wants?

Brian knew all of this was going to happen when he signed his 1 year contract last year. Maybe he felt that good results this year would change that but the problem is that when it was made public that he was being replaced Ulster hadn't reached the HEC final or even the semi final. Evidently that has all come too late.

I would hope this is true and that McLaughlin would have a lot of input in shaping his job description. Based on his performance this year, the significant outpouring of public respect toward him recently, and the relatively poor PR for Ulster in making this move then Ulster really need to keep him happy in the short term.

Maybe he wants a little distance from the main training environment. It wouold surely be tough watching someone else coach your team. It would also be better the new coach to not have the old coach hanging around. Maybe this is the job he wanted.

Ruan Pienaar has been included in the Springbok squad for their June tests.

If he is selected for the subsequent Rugby Championship then he won't be available to Ulster till the end of October. Then there will be the Autumn Internationals in November, if selected in November too Pienaar might only be available for 5-6 Ulster fixtures before the New Year.

This issue has seen Argentinian players struggle to get good contracts in Europe, with clubs reluctant to pay good money to players that will miss a significant part of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Ruan Pienaar has been included in the Springbok squad for their June tests.

If he is selected for the subsequent Rugby Championship then he won't be available to Ulster till the end of October. Then there will be the Autumn Internationals in November, if selected in November too Pienaar might only be available for 5-6 Ulster fixtures before the New Year.

This issue has seen Argentinian players struggle to get good contracts in Europe, with clubs reluctant to pay good money to players that will miss a significant part of the season.

With Frans Steyn moving back to SA, is Pienaar the only non SA based player in the squad? I thought they had a policy of selecting home based players only?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement