Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

GerM wrote: »
    Read on.

All contracts are with the IRFU (as the parent of the provinces).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

IRFU wrote:
    Tommy Bowe, who will hope to add to his five RBS 6 Nations tries on Saturday, has signed a new deal with the IRFU to return to Ulster next season..

...The Irish Rugby Football Union is pleased to announce the signing of International wing Tommy Bowe..

...Bowe has been given early release from his contract with the club to allow him to take up a new contract with the IRFU and to play in Ulster for the next three seasons...

...Ulster Director of Rugby David Humphreys commented: "We are delighted to be in a position to finally confirm that Tommy will be playing his rugby with Ulster next season and I'd like to thank the IRFU for their assistance in bringing him home...

It's clearly a central contract.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It's clearly a central contract.

Well, its not an International Contract. Note Humphreys thanks the IRFU for their assistance in bringing him home. If the IRFU were signing him, they would not be just claiming assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

jm08 wrote: »
    All contracts are with the IRFU (as the parent of the provinces).

Grand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's a central contract

• Advertisement

It's a central contract

Is that the same as an International contract?

Yes

Yes

Explain why Paul O'Connell got an international contract a few weeks ago and bod, heislip and sexton got international contracts last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Well, its not an International Contract. Note Humphreys thanks the IRFU for their assistance in bringing him home. If the IRFU were signing him, they would not be just claiming assistance.
    Explain why Paul O'Connell got an international contract a few weeks ago and bod, heislip and sexton got international contracts last year.

I'd probably be banned for posting the first thing that popped into my mind here, but it's clearly an international/central contract and I have no idea what point you're trying to make with POC, Heaslip or Sexton.

"The Irish Rugby Football Union is pleased to announce the signing of International wing Tommy Bowe"

It could not be more clear. If it were just a provincial contract it would be on the Ulster site and would say "Ulster are pleased to announce the signing of..."

Yes

Probably for the same reason Tommy Bowe signed for the IRFU recently.

• Advertisement

Not to mention the fact that if Ulster had to fork out to bring Tommy back there is NOT A HOPE IN HELL that the board would allow the announcement to be made by anyone other than them, and they would more than likely keep the announcement for directly before a certain Heineken Cup match against a certain other team who Bowe "turned down."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Delighted for Ulster that they landed Bowe, Munster's loss. I hope he doesn't hold up the career of Gilroy or any of the other Ulster kids.

danthefan wrote: »
    I'd probably be banned for posting the first thing that popped into my mind here, but it's clearly an international/central contract and I have no idea what point you're trying to make with POC, Heaslip or Sexton.

"The Irish Rugby Football Union is pleased to announce the signing of International wing Tommy Bowe"

It could not be more clear. If it were just a provincial contract it would be on the Ulster site and would say "Ulster are pleased to announce the signing of..."

don't know why you'd be banned for posting that:confused:

the point I'm making to is that POC, BOD & Sexton signed international contracts with the IRFU.

Tommy Bowe (& keith earls & dennis leamy btw) did not sign international contracts.

As i've said previously, the system seems to have changed a bit from last year.

Probably for the same reason Tommy Bowe signed for the IRFU recently.

Can you explain it please?

I have no idea. Maybe because a different person wrote the press release and used a different turn of phrase.

Tommy Bowe has signed a central contract with the IRFU, which is simply another name for an international contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I had a feeling that Bowe would be heading to Ulster when Howlett signed that contract extension with Munster.

He wasn't going to Munster to play at 13. Laulala isn't a bench player so it made no sense for Bowe to go there.

Cracking signing for Ulster. Hope thay really kick on next season.

Not to mention the fact that if Ulster had to fork out to bring Tommy back there is NOT A HOPE IN HELL that the board would allow the announcement to be made by anyone other than them, and they would more than likely keep the announcement for directly before a certain Heineken Cup match against a certain other team who Bowe "turned down."

munster had announced ages ago that bowe had turned them down (along with ruddock) and bowe was going back to Ulster and ruddock was staying with Leinster.

munster had announced ages ago that bowe had turned them down (along with ruddock) and bowe was going back to Ulster and ruddock was staying with Leinster.
    Where did Ulster announce that Bowe had signed?

Its strange because he hadn't at that stage.

EDIT: Meant Munster above!

I have no idea. Maybe because a different person wrote the press release and used a different turn of phrase.

Tommy Bowe has signed a central contract with the IRFU, which is simply another name for an international contract.

Yea, someone would decide to write a completely different press release for paul o'connell than they would for bowe.

Where does it say in the press release that he has signed a 'central contract'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Folks, nod and smile. You get dragged down to a level and then get beaten by experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Central and International contracts are the same thing.

The next step down from a central contract is a provincial contract. You can be sure that Bowe is not on one of those.

Where did Ulster announce that Bowe had signed?

Its strange because he hadn't at that stage.

EDIT: Meant Munster above!

It was on the Munster website about a month ago that bowe was going back to Ulster and that ruddock was staying with Leinster.

has ruddock signed a contract with leinster yet?

It might have just been munster stating quickly that they were not going going to be used as a bargaining tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I don't really understand what is being argued here?

GerM wrote: »
    Folks, nod and smile. You get dragged down to a level and then get beaten by experience.

opps, didn't realise it was a debating contest

please yourself, i couldn't give two tosses to be honest, but i think the system has changed and for the better .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

opps, didn't realise it was a debating contest

please yourself, i couldn't give two tosses to be honest, but i think the system has changed and for the better .

Go on, how do you think it has changed ? Explain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Yea, someone would decide to write a completely different press release for paul o'connell than they would for bowe.

Where does it say in the press release that he has signed a 'central contract'?
    The press-release is an IRFU release as he is centrally contracted to the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It was on the Munster website about a month ago that bowe was going back to Ulster and that ruddock was staying with Leinster.

has ruddock signed a contract with leinster yet?

It might have just been munster stating quickly that they were not going going to be used as a bargaining tool.

Actually it didn't say he was going to ulster, but that if he signed with an Irish side it would be Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

Is Ruddock not playing chicken with Leinster. Either play him or he moves? Don't think anything is confirmed yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Whats all the arguing about? Bowe is gone to Ulster...he was never going to Munster...a few season ago Ireland tried to bring him back and he said he wouldn't go to Munster, only Leinster, Ireland said no chance and he stayed in Wales

If he was moving back this time it was Leinster or Ulster, with the young players coming to Ulster and I would guess they have told him the new coach lined up it was going to be Ulster, I couldnt see Ireland bringing him to Leinster because they have great players already playing in the backs positions. Ulster need a man with experience to help bring on the young Ulster players, who better than Tommy Booowwweeeee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Big Nelly wrote: »
    If he was moving back this time it was Leinster or Ulster, with the young players coming to Ulster and I would guess they have told him the new coach lined up it was going to be Ulster, I couldnt see Ireland bringing him to Leinster because they have great players already playing in the backs positions. Ulster need a man with experience to help bring on the young Ulster players, who better than Tommy Booowwweeeee

Is that with Ryle Nugent tone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement