Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I get a sneaking feeling that this Ulster team will blow away Munster.

Blow away? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

please give stevie a rest now decco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I get a sneaking feeling that this Ulster team will blow away Munster.

Don't know about blow them away but they're going to be a serious proposition. The way the chips are falling, the Ulster side have a good run of games with the majority of their players getting plenty of time together. They're also getting a serious dose of bitterness building up with the blind eye being turned to them by the Irish set up. Tuohy, Marshall and Henry are going to be desperate to put a marker down. Ferris, Court, Trimble and Best will slot in with ease. They're good professionals and will need no motivation. Throw in Afoa, Wallace, Muller and Pienaar and it's a serious team.

If POC starts, I'd be confident of Munster doing it. If he doesn't it's on a knife edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Which Ulster turns up? Flakey as hell Ulster in the ML or consistent Ulster in the HC?

I'm not that worried about Ulster to be honest, even without POC. I know I'll get a rake of 'never count your chickens' and 'you're over confident' replies but Ulster have a poor record at TP and to be honest bar their performance in Clermont thye've been largely pants away from Ravenhill.

Sorry Jaco I don't mean to offend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

I've been a big fan of Dan Tuohy since he joined Ulster a few seasons back. Has all the ingredients of a modern day second row: Secures good lineout ball, tackles aggresively, great ball carrier, deft hands and has real pace. Is there some part of his game that is missing that has him behind Ryan, O' Callaghan and McCarthy that I haven't noticed or is it just that Kidney has something against bringing through Ulster players?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hype710 wrote: »
    I've been a big fan of Dan Tuohy since he joined Ulster a few seasons back. Has all the ingredients of a modern day second row: Secures good lineout ball, tackles aggresively, great ball carrier, deft hands and has real pace. Is there some part of his game that is missing that has him behind Ryan, O' Callaghan and McCarthy that I haven't noticed or is it just that Kidney has something against bringing through Ulster players?

Kidney I would say!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Which Ulster turns up? Flakey as hell Ulster in the ML or consistent Ulster in the HC?

I'm not that worried about Ulster to be honest, even without POC. I know I'll get a rake of 'never count your chickens' and 'you're over confident' replies but Ulster have a poor record at TP and to be honest bar their performance in Clermont thye've been largely pants away from Ravenhill.

We'll have that printed out and put up on the wall as our team talk : )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

No offence taken. Your opinion is perfectly reasonable. Most teams have a poor record at Thomond. I think Clermont was the nearest Ulster have been to a full team this season. Even at Clermont we had Whitten at 13.

If we have.
    1. Court / McAllister
    2. Best / Kyriacou
    3. Afoa / Macklin
    4. Muller
    5. Tuohy / Stevenson
    6. Ferris
    7. Henry / Faloon
    8. Wannenberg
    9. Pienaar / Marshall
    10. Humphreys
    11. Gilroy
    12. Mincer / Spence
    13. Cave
    14. Trimble
    15. Terblanche / D'Arcy

Then we won't be disgraced. Who knows, maybe Humphreys will bring his usually hidden A game.

On the subject of Tuohy, it really is a close call between him and McCarthy. Why would Deccie want a second row like Tuohy who is heavier, faster and more skilled in open play than the others? Ho obviously doesn't think those traits are important. In the loose, he prefers second rows who lurch forward a meter and fall over their own feet facing the wrong way. ;)

I have to say that my heart sank when he called up TOL. It was however just a reflex action. If however, O'Leary starts the game I'm not even going to watch it. I can just about stick his ignorance of Tuohy. Not his embrace of his mate - again. TOL is o.k. - just about. I'm actually going to be on Holiday in the Beara peninsula so I have other options. :Dvbulletinx3wq50.gifx3wq50.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Tommy Bowe just tweeted that he has signed for Ulster - starting next season!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

jamieh wrote: »
    Tommy Bowe just tweeted that he has signed for Ulster - starting next season!

Bowe, Jared Payne, Pienaar & Trimble, international class backline ! Very impressive. Some try scoring threat there.

He'll get some reception at Ravenhill !

Gilroy and also Gaston will benefit from the competition for spots in the 15 or match squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

TBH I think Gilroy needs this after watching him lately. He's stalled a bit. Tommy will make him great.

Marshall, Pienaar, Trimble, Wallace, Cave, Bowe, Payne is a very exciting backline!

Now all they need is the coach to be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

Whats peoples opinion of Macklin up there?

Him and mcallister are decent back ups and only aged 23ish

and that hooker annett isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

Delighted to hear Bowe is heading back to Ulster.

liam12989 wrote: »
    Whats peoples opinion of Macklin up there?

Him and mcallister are decent back ups and only aged 23ish

and that hooker annett isnt it?

Annette still miles off the pace, but no worry, he's not even 21 yet if I'm right. No better man to be learning from than Best, who decided to wait till his late 20s to turn into one of the best hookers in the game.

I like McAllister, I think he's going to make it. He could do with some more gametime though. Macklin is getting there too. He's getting dribs and drabs of gametime which I think is working for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Great move for both Bowe and Ulster. He knows what Ulster are all about. Think it's a good move for Ireland also, especially if Cave could establish himself in Irish set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Absolutely delighted by the Bowe news. Almost as excited as I would be if he had signed for Leinster!

Just after putting a master class in over the weekend, he is amongst the best wingers in the NH, along with North, Visser and Ashton off the top of my head.

More weight lended to Ulsters top tier European status, delighted and hope they can maintain and grow on being another super power in Europe along with Leinster and Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

great news for ulster rugby and irish rugby - terrific player and hopefully will help ulster push on especially in HC in coming seasons great signing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

So, Rory Mc Ilroy wins a million bucks in the Honda classic on Sunday, and Tommy Bowe signs for ulster on Tuesday.......

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Any word if he signed under an IRFU central contract?

• Advertisement

I would be surprised if he isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bowe should have come to Munster where he'll actually win some trophies. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He already has a league trophy with ospreys.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I would be extremely surprised if he isn't on a central contract...

Delighted for Bowe and Ulster.

forever quoted.

you may regret this

ongarite wrote: »
    Any word if he signed under an IRFU central contract?

Yup, central contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm still upset Bowe isn't signing for Munster, but he's obviously a brilliant signing for Ulster. LOD & Zebo will just have to make the step up for us, I think the competition for places in Ulster will improve Gilroy.

Any chances of Spence and Marshall breaking through properly next season? Wallace won't be around forever either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Teferi wrote: »
    I would be extremely surprised if he isn't on a central contract...

Delighted for Bowe and Ulster.

Really good news for Ulster.

Don't think he has an international contract though (compare these announcements from the IRFU).
    The Irish Rugby Football Union is pleased to announce that Paul O'Connell has signed a new Ireland international contract that will see him remain in Ireland to play his rugby with Munster for a further two seasons until 2014.

The Irish Rugby Football Union are happy to announce three significant new Ireland international contracts as Ireland captain Brian O'Driscoll and his Leinster and Ireland colleagues, Jamie Heaslip and Jonathan Sexton, have all agreed new contracts to remain playing in Ireland.

The Irish Rugby Football Union is pleased to announce the signing of International wing Tommy Bowe who will return to play in Ireland with Ulster next season until 2015.

I think the system has changed a bit in that the IRFU contribute so much to every player (including NIQs) and the province has to top it up then (with money given to them by the irfu!)

This seems like a better way than what was before - i remember Sexton complaining that it was crazy that he had to negotiate with the irfu and leinster had no say in the matter even though it was the place where he played most of his rugby. something similar happened with tony buckley in that he was negotiating with irfu not munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

hahaha, your losing it now thomond......better off with Ulster, he has more chance over next few years with youth of today!!

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    Don't think he has an international contract though (compare these announcements from the IRFU).

Read on.
    IRFU wrote:
    Bowe has been given early release from his contract with the club to allow him to take up a new contract with the IRFU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement