Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

McComish O.K. Hit by an Ulster player - Paul Marshall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They just showed the McComish incident again. In the lineout an Edinburgh player pushed Marshall who went flying backwards. His head smashed straight into McComish's face and he went down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Humphries try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

When is Visser available for Scotland?

Great Try by Humphreys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭phog

Great result from Ravenhill, lots of tries too. Will help the PD if it comes down to it in deciding a playoff position.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jesus I can't wait for the heineken cup

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ulster are going to give Munster some game based on the form they are in.

Ulster's defence this season has been very poor. Conceded 29 tries. a lot more than any of the other top 7 sides. 10 more than Munster for example. They have scored more than anyone - 40 but I think 11 of those have been in 2 games against Edinburgh.

Looking at the table it will be need luck if Ulster make the top 4. They have to overtake Glasgow or Os while hoping the Blues or Scarlets have a poor end of season.

Cardiff are 6 behind with two games in hand.
    Scarlets are 1 point behind
    Glasgow are one ahead.
    Ospreys are two ahead.
    Munster are two ahead with two games in hand so they will make it along with Leinster.

Leinster 17 63
    Ospreys 17 49
    Munster 15 47
    Warriors 17 47
    Ulster 17 46
    Scarlets 17 45
    Blues 15 40
    Treviso 16 28
    Dragons 15 25
    Connacht 17 24
    Edinburgh 17 23
    Aironi 16 15

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭phog

jacothelad wrote: »
    They have scored more than anyone - 40 but I think 11 of those have been in 2 games against Edinburgh.

That's impressive, I was looking at the table the other night and I thought Leinster well well out of front with the Tries For must have missed out on you sneaking up on the blindside.

• Advertisement

Ulster run in.

Treviso away................... 4 points? You would like to think.
    Ulster have Airoini at home. 5 points?
    Away to Connacht............. 4 points? They usually win here.

If they feck over any of these 3 they are done.

The make or break games should be:

Ulster home to Leinster. 20th April........maybe 1 point going on recent history. One win and one draw over the years doesn't fill me with faith in a home win, nice as it would be. Week before the ERC semi. I suppose this could make a difference. Grasping at straws a bit. If Leinster are in the semis, as they should be, they might want a full dress rehearsal but more likely they should rest a few. BOD could be back which would be great. So if Ulster can milk a bit more out of this game they have a chance of a play off place. It's time Ulster got rid of the bunny in the headlights attitude against them.

Ulster away to Munster.......0?

Ulster will likely, if things go as they usually do, end up with 60 points. I don't think that will be enough. If they get anything out of the Leinster game they might end up on 63 points I suppose. Anything at Munster would be a surprise.

Conspiring to shoot themselves in the foot by losing away to Glasgow when they had 75% territory and possession and losing at home to Treviso have probably cost them a top 4 place.

Ulster run in.

Treviso away................... 4 points? You would like to think.
    Ulster have Airoini at home. 5 points?
    Away to Connacht............. 4 points? They usually win here.

If they feck over any of these 3 they are done.

The make or break games should be:

Ulster home to Leinster. 20th April........maybe 1 point going on recent history. One win and one draw over the years doesn't fill me with faith in a home win, nice as it would be. Week before the ERC semi. I suppose this could make a difference. Grasping at straws a bit. If Leinster are in the semis, as they should be, they might want a full dress rehearsal but more likely they should rest a few. BOD could be back which would be great. So if Ulster can milk a bit more out of this game they have a chance of a play off place. It's time Ulster got rid of the bunny in the headlights attitude against them.

Ulster away to Munster.......0?

Ulster will likely, if things go as they usually do, end up with 60 points. I don't think that will be enough. If they get anything out of the Leinster game they might end up on 63 points I suppose. Anything at Munster would be a surprise.

Conspiring to shoot themselves in the foot by losing away to Glasgow when they had 75% territory and possession and losing at home to Treviso have probably cost them a top 4 place.
    If Leinster are in the ERC semi and have first place in the league wrapped up I can imagine Leinster resting loads of players in the Ulster match ahead of a potential four weeks of cup semi-finals and finals

If Leinster are in the ERC semi and have first place in the league wrapped up I can imagine Leinster resting loads of players in the Ulster match ahead of a potential four weeks of cup semi-finals and finals

I know but it would not be good for the league or fair on the other sides. Unless of course Ulster are also in the semis. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I know but it would not be good for the league or fair on the other sides. Unless of course Ulster are also in the semis. :D

That would be true, but then again, what else can you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

If ulster get past Munster they should put every last ounce into the HEC and ignore the rabo.

durkadurka wrote: »
    If ulster get past Munster they should put every last ounce into the HEC and ignore the rabo.

I think they would find it impossible to do otherwise. I also think, being realistic, that that possibility, while very seductive, actually won't happen because while the starting players for Ulster are good, the second echelon aren't just good enough. If we were to lose Afoa, for example, we'd be screwed at tight head. Once the 'reserves' enter the fray, the control and accuracy drops considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The other thing is that I think we'll a full strength Treviso minus Best, Ferris and Trimble. That won't be easy.

We need to win our next 3 and then win one of the Leinster or Munster games. This is why the Cardiff defeat was a bit of a blow. In saying that if we're at full strength for both matches I think we can win of those games, plus Leinster will have 1st seed wrapped up by the time we play them so whether you agree with it or not they'll rest some of their players. BOD might play that one though to get him game time and any team with BOD is very strong.

bilston wrote: »
    The other thing is that I think we'll a full strength Treviso minus Best, Ferris and Trimble. That won't be easy.

We need to win our next 3 and then win one of the Leinster or Munster games. This is why the Cardiff defeat was a bit of a blow. In saying that if we're at full strength for both matches I think we can win of those games, plus Leinster will have 1st seed wrapped up by the time we play them so whether you agree with it or not they'll rest some of their players. BOD might play that one though to get him game time and any team with BOD is very strong.
    Bonjour Bils. On the go early today. No beer last night?

Bonjour Bils. On the go early today. No beer last night?

I'm on the go early everyday Jaco. Having a six month old makes sure of that, it also means I've been a lot more sober recently too. The odds are short nf me being a mess in Limerick.

bilston wrote: »
    I'm on the go early everyday Jaco. Having a six month old makes sure of that, it also means I've been a lot more sober recently too. The odds are short nf me being a mess in Limerick.

Out of training. Don't drink stout then. ;)

• Advertisement

Cardiff, Scarlets, Glasgow and Ulster. Run In. Possible permutations based on form and history.
    Glasgow currently on 47 points
    Aironi (h) 5
    Cardiff (h) 4
    Munster (a) 0
    Treviso (a) 4
    Connacht (h) 4

Total = 64

Blues currently on 44 points
    Treviso (a) 4
    Scarlets (h) 4
    Glasgow (a) 1
    Ospreys (h) 4
    Edinburgh (h) 4
    Scarlets (a) 1
    Total = 62 points

Scarlets currently on 45 points
    Cardiff (a) 1
    Edinburgh (a) 4
    Aironi (a) 5
    Munster (h) 1
    Cardiff (h) 4

Total = 60 points

Ulster currently on 46 points
    Treviso (a) 4
    Aironi (h) 5
    Connacht (a) 4
    Leinster (h) 4
    Munster (a) 0

Total – 62 points

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Are you conceding first and second to Len/mun?

And what about the ospreys?

I'm guessing he's saying Leinster/Munster/Spreys/Glasgow.

But then he wasn't too optimistic about ulster making the h cup quarter final either! :p

I think he is conceding 1/2/3 to Leinster/Munster/Ospreys and just looking at the fight for the last play off spot

Ospreys currently on 49 points
    Leinster A 0
    Treviso H 5
    Blues A 1
    Dragons H 4
    Aironi A 4

Total 63 points

Its very much game on from here on in and is likely to be decided by bps imo

But then he wasn't too optimistic about ulster making the h cup quarter final either! :p

It would be a brave man who would think that they could be caught by Ulster. Leinster are 17 points ahead already with a max of 25 available. Ulster would need them all to decide to retire en mass and select a team of girl guides instead. ( :D Even then I wouldn't bet on a 5 pointer. Maybe SOB has a sister. :eek:)

I'm saying that L, M and Os have 1,2,3 pretty much theirs to lose. I can't see L or M being overtaken. Even when the seconds play at less than their best they win - like Munster blind-siding the Dragons last night. Terrible game, great result.

O's losing to Glasgow was a blow to Ulster but - hey ho. If it was all totally predictable who would watch it?

With the Os having this position
    On ..............49 points
    Leinster A 0
    Treviso H 5
    Blues A 1
    Dragons H 4
    Aironi A 5
    Total............ 64

Given Leinster's position and the loss of the Irish players on 23rd march v. the Os it is possible for the Ospreys to get something from the game.
    However, I think they'll end up on 64 points. It could come down to the losing bonus they unjustly were awarded by a blind TMO at Ravenhill. If one of the other teams ends up on 63 with better, wins, points, tries etc I'm sure they will be furious.

I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Ulster could sneak a losing bonus point at Thomond but that is a rarity I think. If we could and all other results go our way, that would give us 63 but still may not be enough.

Even the away game at Treviso isn't a shoe in by any stretch of the imagination. Without Ferris, Best, Trimble and Court the job is more difficult. If we are also without Wannenberg it seems a lot less likely. Hopefully, Muller and Cave will be fit by then (and by that time Deccie will be giving BOD a run out so Trimble might be back. :D:D:D)

Glasgow's run in appears the easiest. Blues have a game in hand. I wouldn't be surprised if Glasgow get 4th but we'll just have to see. The Welsh regions could knock lumps out of each others chances I suppose.

If we extrapolate the final positions on the basis of how the season has progressed so far, this is how the teams would finish.
    Leinster .....81
    Munster......70
    Ospreys......64
    Glasgow......61
    Blues..........60
    Ulster.........59
    Scarlets......58.

Ulster going walkabout during the RWC really tore a huge whole in our season as far as the league is concerned.

The incalculable factor is the Heineken Cup and how it might affect things.

"he wasn't too optimistic about ulster making the h cup quarter final either!"

No, I wasn't given the group we had and no one else was either. Most of us were resigned to hoping the team would play well. Leicester aren't in the same class as in previous years. Even so, daft selections and injuries cost us at Welford Road.

Who would have predicted Edinburgh to win their group never mind Ulster humping the Tigers by 40 points? Only a crazed loon possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Big Nelly wrote: »

I think he becomes available in the summer not sure when tho

Big Nelly wrote: »

I think he becomes available in the summer not sure when tho
    Not sure of the exact date, but I know that he becomes elligible between Scotlands first and second summer test. So hell more than likely be on that tour

Jaco is always the glass half empty man when it comes to Ulster! At least he's never disapointed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 questforfit

I get a sneaking feeling that this Ulster team will blow away Munster.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't want to be facing Dan Tuohy in his next game.

He's gonna tear up trees.

Ireland's loss Ulster's gain...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement