Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

jm08 wrote: »
    i'm not the confused one around here ;)

irfu have not mentioned 'central' or 'provincial' - just contracts or international contracts.

Leave it lads, its too taxing for you. i'll wait and see how darcy's is announced (assuming that he won't be getting a central/international contract).

You know when you think you'r right and everyone else is wrong...........
    .............they usually aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

the devil is in the detail. Even Humprehys thanks the IRFU for "their assistance" in bringing bowe back. i'd expect the irfu to be very careful how they word stuff
    There is no "care" required. No need to incite ambiguity on who underwrites the player's contract. It really is a simple case of being signed up by the IRFU on an IRFU contract, which can be referred to as a central or an international contract.
    There is no differentiation needed or inferred. You are arguing over absolutely NOTHING but pointless semantics.
    I was looking for a reference to 'central contracts' from the irfu and I couldn't find one. Couldn't find one to 'Provincial' contract either. I've seen references to international contract is with paul oconnel, brian odriscoll and a few really key players

it will be interesting to see how d'arcy's new contract is announced as we know he lost his 'central' contract the last time.

and it wouldn't be in the interests of the irfu to be a bit waffly about who has/has not international contracts then, particularly if the players involved are popular with the fans
    No, it wouldn't be. Nothing woolly required.
    Thats why I gave you a clear answer, nice and compactly short too.
    Thats it. Easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

irfu have not mentioned 'central' or 'provincial' - just contracts or international contracts.

Leave it lads, its too taxing for you. i'll wait and see how darcy's is announced (assuming that he won't be getting a central/international contract).
    It isn't too "taxing" at all.
    You've had it explained to you clearly.

A non-issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Enough time wasted on you, quit messing up this Ulster conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Lads the easiest way to stop an argument is to stop replying to it. People will pick who they believe from the information provided in your posts, and not just who had the last word

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

jamieh wrote: »
    Tommy Bowe just tweeted that he has signed for Ulster - starting next season!

Back to page 86:D

Anyway guys, great signing for Ulster, lets hope he can bring along the young potential that is in the Ulster and Ravens teams. Will be great for Irish rugby in long run....with Ulster and Leinster bringing through some great quality, sorry I am not sure about the Munster youngsters but heard it aint good so excuse my ignorance, we will be winning the World cup soon!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Back to page 86:D

Anyway guys, great signing for Ulster, lets hope he can bring along the young potential that is in the Ulster and Ravens teams. Will be great for Irish rugby in long run....with Ulster and Leinster bringing through some great quality, sorry I am not sure about the Munster youngsters but heard it aint good so excuse my ignorance, we will be winning the World cup soon!!!!:D

Ah it mightn't be as productive as Leinster and Ulster, but there's plenty of potential about- POM, DOC2, Butler, LOD, Zebo, Hanrahan, Nagle, Foley, etc. And Connacht are definitely on the rise too, won the U-20 interpros this year. The future bodes well for Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ravens team for Connacht A tomorrow

1 Richard Lutton (Belfast Harlequins)
    2 John Burns (Ballymena)
    3 Conor Carey (Ballymena)
    4 Michael Shiels (Rainey)
    5 David Houston (City of Derry)
    6 Conor Joyce Malone)
    7 Dominic Gallagher (Dublin University)
    8 Neil Faloon (Armagh)
    9 Paddy Farrell (Queen’s University)
    10 James McKinney (Queen’s University)
    11 Chris Quinn (Queen’s University)
    12 Luke Marshall (Ballymena)
    13 Michael Allen (Belfast Harlequins) (capt)
    14 Conor Gaston (Dungannon)
    15 Ricky Andrew (Ballymena)

16 Andrew Warwick (Ballymena)
    17 Michael Cromie (Banbridge)
    18 Stephen Mulholland (Ballymena)
    19 Paul Pritchard (Ballymena)
    20 Andrew Semple (City of Derry)
    21 Johnny Burgess (Malone)
    22 Taylor Acheson (Malone)

Mad selections.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

At least 100% dependable selector Brian McLoughlin will be in charge of the team from next season until he dies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jacothelad wrote: »
    Ravens team for Connacht A tomorrow

1 Richard Lutton (Belfast Harlequins)
    2 John Burns (Ballymena)
    3 Conor Carey (Ballymena)
    4 Michael Shiels (Rainey)
    5 David Houston (City of Derry)
    6 Conor Joyce Malone)
    7 Dominic Gallagher (Dublin University)
    8 Neil Faloon (Armagh)
    9 Paddy Farrell (Queen’s University)
    10 James McKinney (Queen’s University)
    11 Chris Quinn (Queen’s University)
    12 Luke Marshall (Ballymena)
    13 Michael Allen (Belfast Harlequins) (capt)
    14 Conor Gaston (Dungannon)
    15 Ricky Andrew (Ballymena)

16 Andrew Warwick (Ballymena)
    17 Michael Cromie (Banbridge)
    18 Stephen Mulholland (Ballymena)
    19 Paul Pritchard (Ballymena)
    20 Andrew Semple (City of Derry)
    21 Johnny Burgess (Malone)
    22 Taylor Acheson (Malone)

Mad selections.

The game's already over. 17-7 to Ulster.

Neil Faloon related to Willie?

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The game's already over. 17-7 to Ulster.

Neil Faloon related to Willie?

Yes. Cousin I think.

The whole ravens 'A' side thing is a complete shambles. This is only their 7th game of the season yet about half of the players in this game are not even in the Academy.

Here are the Academy Players. Those in Red are playing. Green are with the U20s.

Neil Faloon (Armagh)
    Chris Farrell (Dungannon)
    Ryan Jablinski (Instonians)
    Conor Joyce (Malone)
    Johnny Murphy (Banbridge)
    Peter Nelson (Dungannon)
    Sean O'Connell (Instonians)
    Stuart Olding (Belfast Harlequins)
    David O'Mahony (TBA)
    James Simpson (Ballynahinch)
    Ali Birch (Dungannon)
    Conor Carey (Ballymena)
    Ian Henderson (QUB)
    Kyle McCall (Ballynahinch)
    David McGuigan (Ballynahinch)
    Blane McIlroy (Ballymena)
    Michael Allen (Belfast Harlequins)
    Ricky Andrew (Ballymena)
    John Burns (Ballymena)

Chris Cochrane (Dungannon)
    Conor Gaston (Dungannon)

Why do they play these games when the U20s 6Ns is on? It's totally daft. It's great for a lot of young AIL players to get a run out but it's a pretty inept way to run a supposed Academy squad.

News for next season.

Possibilities.

Danielli may be off to Wasps
    Whitten has been offered a contract with Exeter.
    Wannenberg is in contract talks to stay.
    Niall Annet to Bristol.
    James McKinney off to England.
    PJ getting a full contract.
    Iain Henderson, Chris Farrell, Peter Nelson and Blaine McIlroy 28kol86.gif getting dev deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

News for next season.

Possibilities.

Niall Annet to Bristol.
    Iain Henderson, Chris Farrell, Peter Nelson and Blaine McIlroy 28kol86.gif getting dev deals.

Exeter are a decent side but if Whitten has to leave Ulster I'd really like him to head down to Leinster.

lologram wrote: »
    Exeter are a decent side but if Whitten has to leave Ulster I'd really like him to head down to Leinster.

He is a great man to have in the squad and would blossom under Schmidt. Quite frankly he has stagnated at Ulster in the last 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Very congested squad of centers at Leinster too, at 12 alone he'd be competing with D'arcy, Macfadden, Fitzgerald, Reid, O'Shea. Englands the right move for him I think.

Would like to see Annett in Connacht, always impressed me and Connacht are light there, it looks like Bristol will be promoted so at least he'll be playing premiership rugby

I've heard from a good source that both sides are very reluctant in the Wannenberg negotiations but momentum is moving more towards him staying than not.

I don't think he's needed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Whitten rarely has a bad game, if he goes to Exeter I think he could be a revelation. He's very direct and will do well in the AP.

When you consider our centre roster for next season it's clear Whitten, who is good enough to be first choice somewhere in the British and Irish Isles is probably best advised to try his luck elsewhere.

2012/2013 Ulster centres
    Paddy Wallace
    Darren Cave
    Nevin Spence
    Jared Payne (more likely to be a FB)
    Tommy Bowe (more likely to be a winger)
    Luke Marshall
    Chris Farrell
    Michael Allen
    Peter Nelson (seems destined to play FB though)
    Andrew Trimble (can always play centre if needs be)
    Paddy Jackson (played 12 in a HEC game against Aironi before Christmas and scored IIRC)

I've heard from a good source that both sides are very reluctant in the Wannenberg negotiations but momentum is moving more towards him staying than not.

I don't think he's needed tbh.

I'm not sure. IMO we've been a back rower short this season so bringing in Wilson and keeping Wannenberg gives us another back row option, plus hopefully Birch will continue to develop and Iain Henderson can play back row as well. The more options the better.

Chris Farrell: 12 or 13?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

News for next season.

Possibilities.

Niall Annet to Bristol.

What's Annett been like this season? IIRC he was great at U20s level. Would they not let someone like Brady go to try to give a young talented hooker a chance?

Also was that Kaino to Ulster rumour bullshít?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

shuffol wrote: »
    Very congested squad of centers at Leinster too, at 12 alone he'd be competing with D'arcy, Macfadden, Fitzgerald, Reid, O'Shea. Englands the right move for him I think.

In terms of numbers it seems congested. I don't think the field really is that congested though and he may cut straight through it. I really think D'Arcy is fading quickly. I don't think Fitz is thought of too seriously at 12 by Joe. It's frequently discussed on Boards but I've never seen much evidence that he'd be picked anywhere but wing in a HC game, for example.

McFadden is in line to take over fully at 12 (next year even, in my opinion). Whitten would basically be in a two horse race with him because Reid and O'Shea are good prospects but not close to being picked at HC yet.

Joe/Leinster love squad depth (I wish other coaches would love it too...) and so I'd see Whitten/McFadden being competition a la Healy/Van Der Merwe, Reddan/Boss, Strauss/Cronin etc

Kaino wants to stay in NZ so he never spoke to anyone I don't think.

Annett is a bit small I think? Premiership will sort him out. Hopefully he does a better job than that leinster waster did over there.

Chris Farrell: 12 or 13?

Well he's played 12 in the two games he's played for Ulster, but has played 13 for the Ravens with Marshall at 12 and obviously is playing 13 for the 20s with JJ inside.

To be honest I don't know yet, for all his size and power he's a very good passer of the ball and he's a very good offloader which might point towards 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

McKinney to England would be disappointing. Would like to see him at Leinster next year as third choice 10 (Reid is a better 12 imo) but it's understandable that he wants more first team action.

What's Annett been like this season? IIRC he was great at U20s level. Would they not let someone like Brady go to try to give a young talented hooker a chance?

Annett is only 21, a couple of years in England will hopefully do him good. If it makes him as a player hopefully we'll get him back, if he doesn't progress then he gets a career in the lower reaches of the AP or Championship and more power to him.

Hype710 wrote: »
    McKinney to England would be disappointing. Would like to see him at Leinster next year as third choice 10 (Reid is a better 12 imo) but it's understandable that he wants more first team action.

I agree with this. McKinney is a solid player. He doesn't have Jackson's natural ability but at the minute I would probably trust him to manage a game a bit better than PJ. It would be good to keep them both at Ulster but you can see McKinney's point of view. Be 3rd or 4th choice 10 at Ulster or get regular game time in England somewhere. It's not unlike the Gareth Steenson situation actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Annett is a bit small I think? Premiership will sort him out. Hopefully he does a better job than that leinster waster did over there.

Harsh; he's had a couple of nasty injuries so hasn't had a run of it.

Harsh; he's had a couple of nasty injuries so hasn't had a run of it.
    I work with a couple of lads from there who have a poor opinion of him but tbf that could just be because of the injuries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He came to Ulster but not as a player, he came and visited his best mate John Afoa and papers tv and twitter made a massive deal out of it. Yes some of the players built it up bigger Ferris Payne Afoa and Kaino tweeted about 'coming to ulster' but it was just teasing the press

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

In terms of numbers it seems congested. I don't think the field really is that congested though and he may cut straight through it. I really think D'Arcy is fading quickly. I don't think Fitz is thought of too seriously at 12 by Joe. It's frequently discussed on Boards but I've never seen much evidence that he'd be picked anywhere but wing in a HC game, for example.

McFadden is in line to take over fully at 12 (next year even, in my opinion). Whitten would basically be in a two horse race with him because Reid and O'Shea are good prospects but not close to being picked at HC yet.

Joe/Leinster love squad depth (I wish other coaches would love it too...) and so I'd see Whitten/McFadden being competition a la Healy/Van Der Merwe, Reddan/Boss, Strauss/Cronin etc

Theres no doubt Leinster would make use of him if they got him but I dont think they need him and I think he'd be better served going elsewhere. It'd be very like the Fionn Carr situation, I couldnt see him getting into HC squads ahead of Mcfadden and D'arcy, at least not initially and I think like Carr he could be coming under pressure from younger players behind him. I also think it'd serve Leinster better to develop their own youngsters as they're not short of centers. As for Fitz, whether he moves to 12 depends on the progression of Dave Kearney and Conway. Nacewa and Rob are nailed down for 2 of the back 3 slots and if D.Kearney or Conway show enough Fitzgerald could be moved inside, he certainly has the game to play there as he's showed in his all too few outings

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement