Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »
    I actually think Ulsters biggest threat next season will be Glasgow. Leinster will remain competitive, but our ability to compete in the league will be hampered by both our departees, aging players and most important players being away on Ireland duty. Munster should improve on this season, but I'm not convinced they have the players there atm. They'll be there or there-abouts for the play-offs though. I could easily see a final between Ulster and Glasgow this time next year.

Glasgow are a team on the up but then they are losing Barclay which is a blow.

Next season the contenders will be Ulster, Leinster, Glasgow, Munster, Ospreys and maybe even Treviso, probably in that order.

I'm pretty optimistic for Ulster, we aren't losing anyone of real importance and surely we can't possibly suffer the same injuries as we did this season, McAlistair, Farrell and fingers crossed Ferris (believe he is going to stay now) will be back and then players like Jackson, Olding, Henderson and Marshall will have another season under their belts.

However as we know our NIQs all come off contract at the end of next season so while I accept Muller and Afoa will 100% (well 90% in Muller's case!) not be staying on for another year, one of our biggest challenges will be persuading Pienaar and Williams and perhaps most importantly the IRFU to get new contracts signed with those guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah, I think the Play Offs are a necessary evil in the modern game but I don't see why the table toppers shouldn't at least got some sort of trophy.

Didn't the English Premiership do that at one stage? I dunno, I think having two trophies for one tournament would be a bit odd.

Edit: Yes, the google machine tells me that the table-toppers were the Zurich Premiership champions and the play-off winners were the Zurich Championship champions, so in 2002 Leicester were officially the champions but Gloucester won the play-off final. It only lasted a couple of seasons.
    http://www.premiershiprugby.com/premiership/history.php

Didn't the English Premiership do that at one stage? I dunno, I think having two trophies for one tournament would be a bit odd.

Edit: Yes, the google machine tells me that the table-toppers were the Zurich Premiership champions and the play-off winners were the Zurich Championship champions, so in 2002 Leicester were officially the champions but Gloucester won the play-off final. It only lasted a couple of seasons.
    http://www.premiershiprugby.com/premiership/history.php

Well it would just be a shield or a plate maybe, I might be wrong but do the table toppers of the Top 14 not get some sort of recognition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think Ulster are on track to become the dominant Irish province.

I think Leinster will take a couple of backwards steps over the next couple of seasons before they can get back to their peak (if they do).

There's no such thing as "transition" by the way. You have no God given right to be at the top and transition suggests there is and you will be there again, it's only a matter of time, which isn't the case. Liverpool FC have been in transition for 40 odd years, or they just peaked in a certain era and may never be there again.

The problem is, it's so difficult to win trophies and a lot depends on luck. I think the Pro12 final this season could have gone either way, but the hard part is getting there.

In the league it's a shoot out between Leinster, Ulster, Munster, Ospreys, Glasgow...all very good teams, and to be juggled with European competition also, it's not easy.

In Europe, again lots of teams of great quality to overcome. It's VERY tough to win anything.

I can't say I hope Ulster win something as I want Leinster to win everything!! :D But if Leinster are gone in a competition, it would definitely be nice to see Ulster lift a trophy. Probably themselves and Clermont are the two teams I'd most like to see win trophies when Leinster aren't around.

Next season is massive for Ulster though, they'll potentially be taking a backward step or two after that season with departures also, so it will be their beiggest chance in a long long time, especially with being top seeds in Europe now too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

[Jackass] thinks we can do it. This contents me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

Great game on saturday, Ulster fans were top quality at the match.

PJ really impressed me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

.ak wrote: »
    If you look at the trend in the teams, Ulster will probably establish themselves as the top province next season.

Without wishing to be churlish, I don't think it is such a fait accompli. Obviously we still have to see how next season pans out, but I'd still back Leinster to beat any Irish province in a play-off game. Ulster have shown they are clear second best and can compete, but they have been exposed a bit too often to crown them anything yet. They have a lot of young talent that will be around for years to come, but they are missing an edge and I'm not sure where it will come from next year.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I think Ulster are on track to become the dominant Irish province.

Even with Paddy at 10?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

[IMG][/img]24b2pmt.jpg

By richard mulligan

Published on the 27 May
    22:36

Stephen Ferris may yet still remain on Irish soil after a decision was taken to undergo another operation on his troublesome right ankle.

The hard-hitting backrow forward was due to go under the knife on Tuesday morning for mostly exploratory surgery on the ankle which has kept him out of playing since last November.

There had been strong rumours linking Ferris with a move away from Ireland after his current contract finishes at the end of June.

The News Letter understands that any potential move as it was rumoured to Japan is unlikely to happen.

However, a move from Ulster can still not be ruled out at this stage.

It is understood negotiations are continuing with the Irish Rugby Football Union and if this latest operation is a success - although he could be in rehab between three to six months - there are fresh hopes a deal can be struck with Ireland, which could keep Ferris at Ravenhill for at least another two seasons.

That would be a huge boost for Ulster and Ferris who has been left frustrated this season by having to sit and watch from the sidelines as Ulster made the Heineken Cup quarter-finals and lost in the RaboDirect PRO12 final."

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Another surgery. :(

• Advertisement

The guy has no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Maybe they could try removing the foot and burying it under ground wrapped in a few bible verses? Worked in medieval times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

feel awful, AWFUL saying this, huge fan of Ferris, but is this REALLY good news for the IRFU and Ulster?
    Having a star in the physio room for another 6 months +++ ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

andrewdcs wrote: »
    feel awful, AWFUL saying this, huge fan of Ferris, but is this REALLY good news for the IRFU and Ulster?
    Having a star in the physio room for another 6 months +++ ?

Very bad news indeed.

While it robs Ulster and Ireland of one of their best players, it also puts them in the awkward position where they have to decide whether or not to offer him a contract and hope he recovers (but risk paying someone who can't play), or not to offer him a contract and risk negative reaction for cutting an injured player loose.

I suppose if it's "mostly" exploratory surgery, hopefully the picture will be clearer soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Very bad news indeed.

While it robs Ulster and Ireland of one of their best players, it also puts them in the awkward position where they have to decide whether or not to offer him a contract and hope he recovers (but risk paying someone who can't play), or not to offer him a contract and risk negative reaction for cutting an injured player loose.

I suppose if it's "mostly" exploratory surgery, hopefully the picture will be clearer soon.

It's a bad position alright. The talk about Ferris to Japan was, IIRC, based on the fact that he wanted a guaranteed contract rather pay for play. I've no problem with him saying that, a rugby player's career is only so long and they need to make their money while they can. However I don't see how IRFU/Ulster can offer him anything other than pay for play. It would not be clever for them to give him a contract again and have him not play. That money could be spent on some other player who will remain fit.

It's tough on both sides. A bad situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Had hoped he'd be back playing somewhere at the start of next season, ideally in Ulster team.

Not good news, hope he can get through this episode.

Who knows. Exploratory surgery might discover a quick fix and he might be back in full training in 10 to 12 weeks. It might also of course go in a less favourable direction. I would be in favour of giving him all the time needed to decide on his future. He got injured playing for his employers who fecked up the medical process in order to try and get him fit for the 6 Ns. When that didn't work they tried to offer him a less favourable deal than has been issued to other high profile players such as POC and Luke Fitz. When you have a player as good as Fez why would you not turn over every stone to get him right?

If he can't go on, he must know for certain rather than spend the rest of his life thinking "If only I'd tried this or that..." Our players put themselves on the chopping block in every game. We should be prepared to honour that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Without wishing to be churlish, I don't think it is such a fait accompli. Obviously we still have to see how next season pans out, but I'd still back Leinster to beat any Irish province in a play-off game. Ulster have shown they are clear second best and can compete, but they have been exposed a bit too often to crown them anything yet. They have a lot of young talent that will be around for years to come, but they are missing an edge and I'm not sure where it will come from next year.

You lost me at churlish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

just like to wish him every good luck and success with the op.............. It can't be easy for him wasting another part of a season, I just hope that he does come back to play, dont' care if its Tokoyo or Tyrone ! Special player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    just like to wish him every good luck and success with the op.............. It can't be easy for him wasting another part of a season, I just hope that he does come back to play, dont' care if its Tokoyo or Tyrone ! Special player.

His club side is dungannon which is in county.....Tyrone.

They are my home town club and I reckon they'd welcome him back with open arms....along with paddy jackson, Craig gilroy and Peter nelson!!

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    His club side is dungannon which is in county.....Tyrone.

They are my home town club and I reckon they'd welcome him back with open arms....along with paddy jackson, Craig gilroy and Peter nelson!!

How did Jackson and Gilroy end up at Dungannon and not Belfast Harlequins anyway?

bilston wrote: »
    How did Jackson and Gilroy end up at Dungannon and not Belfast Harlequins anyway?

Rank bad luck........:D:D

How do the branch decide where to place the pro players in terms of clubs?

Is it just a round robin type system? One for you, one for you and it's your turn to get one next?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

awec wrote: »
    How do the branch decide where to place the pro players in terms of clubs?

Is it just a round robin type system? One for you, one for you and it's your turn to get one next?
    I think its up to the clubs to recruit the players. Branch stays out of it unless its to tell academy players to sign for a club in a higher league.

And they recruit them on the basis they might get to play them once a year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

awec wrote: »
    And they recruit them on the basis they might get to play them once a year?
    They recruit them when they are 18/19 coming out of schools. They play a lot of AIL with the clubs when in the academy before breaking through and then the player stays with the club.

Its very rare for a player to change club after becoming established. NIQ joining clubs are usually pretty random though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

You actually forget he has quite a bit of pace for a beast of a man.

I'd be devastated if this is the end of him to be honest, always been one of my favourite Irish players. Would love to see him get back to the top of his game and go injury free for a while.

The thought of Ferris, Williams and Henderson all playing for Ulster at the same time is mouth watering. The ball carrying options would be immense.

• Advertisement

19543261 wrote: »

The clip where he picks up Genia and just carts him over the line is just unreal. The rest of the Ireland team trying to catch up and give him a bit of a hand, Ferris just strolling with Genia totally helpless. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement