Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Proud Orange

lurtz wrote: »
    rumour ulster signed a dublin based australian,any idea who this is or is it spoof?

Who'd be an Aussie based in Dublin, Shaun Berne is the last one I could think of but he's off in Calvisano these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Who'd be an Aussie based in Dublin, Shaun Berne is the last one I could think of but he's off in Calvisano these days!

He's actually back in Dublin now. Going to be player/coach of Belvedere next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Some images of the redevlopment at the hill, looks very strange! Full set here (Facebook): Link

421796_490985074313930_849261666_n.jpg

1016611_490985527647218_125150466_n.jpg

7804_490985767647194_2065487240_n.jpg

972255_490986047647166_1867827958_n.jpg

1011822_490986267647144_1716955463_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Going to be a lovely ground when it's done though by the looks of it.
    Franklins Gardens esque?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

What's the timeline for the redevelopment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Looking great so far. Simple, but effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What's the timeline for the redevelopment?

I believe the Aquinas and Memorial Clock ends should be ready for the new season and the main stand will be ready for the start of the 2014/15 season.

I don't know what this means for the capacity of the ground next season, I'd say our chances of hosting a HEC home Q/F or Pro 12 final would be touch and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

The completed capacity will be 18,000, yea?

I wonder if Ulster may regret not upping it an extra few thousand. I could foresee the HCup QF Stadium requirements to rise from the current 15,000 and/or the Pro12 final requirements rising from 18,000.

However, I'm sure the costing, demand, likelihood of such events were all assessed.

It should be a cracking rugby venue though

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

As fair as I know theres the option to fill in the corners increasing the capacity to about 24k in the future if necessary.

damianmcr wrote: »
    As fair as I know theres the option to fill in the corners increasing the capacity to about 24k in the future if necessary.

Yep think that's right.

• Advertisement

The completed capacity will be 18,000, yea?

I wonder if Ulster may regret not upping it an extra few thousand. I could foresee the HCup QF Stadium requirements to rise from the current 15,000 and/or the Pro12 final requirements rising from 18,000.

However, I'm sure the costing, demand, likelihood of such events were all assessed.

It should be a cracking rugby venue though

The Ulster Branch need to be cosying up to the GAA and trying to get use of Casement Park if needs be. It's going to be a much bigger stadium than Ravenhill once it is completed so IF for some reason Ulster couldn't use Ravenhill they could go there rather than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

damianmcr wrote: »

That's why the roofs are all the same height... so everything matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Going to be a lovely ground when it's done though by the looks of it.
    Franklins Gardens esque?

The funny thing is the pitch is still pristine haha. Chaos all around and its perfect

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The funny thing is the pitch is still pristine haha. Chaos all around and its perfect

The pitch would be strictly off limits to all workmen and machinery, as any damage to it could cause serious problems that could take years and a lot of money to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Going to be a superb stadium once it's all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭ongarite

Looks like Ferris is staying with Ulster. New 2 year deal to be signed by end of week.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23061494

Ferris.
    Henderson.
    Williams.

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Would Ulster fans be okay with Ferris moving to 7 to accommodate Henderson at 6?Alternatively,would they like to see Henderson moved into the 2nd row to keep Henry at 7?

I'm glad Ferris has stayed,he's too good to waste two years of his career running through players for fun in the Japanese League.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Would Ulster fans be okay with Ferris moving to 7 to accommodate Henderson at 6?Alternatively,would they like to see Henderson moved into the 2nd row to keep Henry at 7?

Given the two options, I'd probably prefer to see Henderson move up and have a back three of Ferris - Henry - Williams.

Given the two options, I'd probably prefer to see Henderson move up and have a back three of Ferris - Henry - Williams.

Yeah me too.

This pack would be nice...

Court (that would the British and Irish Lion), Best, Afoa
    Muller, Henderson
    Ferris, Williams, Henry

Bench - Herring, McAlistair, Fitzpartick, Tuohy, Wilson

However while it's great that Stevie is set to stay, let's get him fit. I guess he is going to miss the start of the season.

• Advertisement

I'd go with Touhy, Henderson, Fez, Henry, Williams. Power, pace, mobility and great hands. Henry would have a great time in that pack, he'd have a lot of free time to be an absolute nuisance at the breakdown.

.ak wrote: »
    I'd go with Touhy, Henderson, Fez, Henry, Williams. Power, pace, mobility and great hands. Henry would have a great time in that pack, he'd have a lot of free time to be an absolute nuisance at the breakdown.

No chance Muller wouldn't be there. He runs the lineout. He is Ulster's O'Connell.

bilston wrote: »
    No chance Muller wouldn't be there. He runs the lineout. He is Ulster's O'Connell.

Doh, sorry I thought this season gone was his last?

Blindside flanker, Stephen Ferris, has signed a six-month contract extension with Ulster and Ireland that will see him remain at Ravenhill until at least the end of 2013.

The short-term contract will enable the 27 year-old to undergo rehabilitation with the medical and strength and conditioning staff at the club with the aim of making a full and complete return to rugby.

Ferris suffered an ankle injury playing against Edinburgh in the RaboDirect PRO12 in November last year and hasn’t played since.

Following consultation with medical experts in Belfast, Dublin and London, Ferris underwent a third ankle operation in May. He is expected to miss at least the first four months of the new season.

The flanker has played 102 times for Ulster and has been capped 35 times by Ireland. He toured South Africa with the British and Irish Lions in 2009.

Commenting on the contract extension, Ulster’s Director of Rugby, David Humphreys, said: ‘Stephen has had a difficult year with the injuries that he has suffered, but when he is fit, there is no doubt that he is one of the best back-row forwards in the game.

‘Stephen is passionate about playing for Ulster and Ireland and our aim in giving him this contract extension is to provide him with the best possible care to enable him to get back playing.’

Speaking about his new deal with Ulster, Stephen Ferris said: ‘I am delighted that I can continue my recovery and rehab from injury within the Ulster Rugby set-up.

‘I believe that working with the medical team at Ulster, along with the excellent strength and conditioning coaches, offers me the best chance of regaining full fitness and of representing Ulster and Ireland again.’

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11577.php

Doh, sorry I thought this season gone was his last?

One more season remaining (same for Afoa and Pienaar, I think).

One more season remaining (same for Afoa and Pienaar, I think).

Has Afoa not gone back to NZ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Has Afoa not gone back to NZ?
    He has one year left on his contract. Not sure he wants to finish the contract though. You know with his wife staying out there with the kids. He will follow through on the contract though.

Is he trying to do something like finding another NZ prop to replace his contract or something? Or was that just made up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭ongarite

So 6 month contract for Ferris, basically up to when he is back from injury bar another setback.
    I imagine the IRFU will look to extend that if medical results are good.

• Advertisement

Is he trying to do something like finding another NZ prop to replace his contract or something? Or was that just made up?

I had heard that yes. He wants to go but will stay unless he can find someone of similar ability to replace him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement