Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Fooker wrote: »
    I see Jamie Smith has been dropped for next season by the NG Dragons. It shows how far Ulster have come in that a few years ago that the likes of Smith and D'arcy got alot of game time..

I remember watching Smith play in the Schools Cup final maybe 5 or 6 years ago and thinking that he was a cert to play for Ireland one day. Shows what I know!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Would any of the Ulster based posters round here be able to tell me a bit about Stuart Morrow Ballynahinch. Ulster Bank Division 1B Player of the Year.

I know he is a centre and thats it. Is he young or old, was he ever involved in the ulster setup. Does he play 12 or 13 or both. Any other details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Would any of the Ulster based posters round here be able to tell me a bit about Stuart Morrow Ballynahinch. Ulster Bank Division 1B Player of the Year.

I know he is a centre and thats it. Is he young or old, was he ever involved in the ulster setup. Does he play 12 or 13 or both. Any other details?

Don't know anything of him, but the Hinch website says he's 30 and looks to be a 13.

The closer we get to Saturday the more ridiculous the decision to play this game the RDS becomes. We may have got 50% of the tickets but I am pretty sure Leinster fans will have got their hands on hundreds of them. We're going to be outnumbered playing at the home of Leinster. Genius.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We'll certainly be heavily outnumbered IMO. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Apparently Ulster returned 200 of their allocation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bilston wrote: »
    The closer we get to Saturday the more ridiculous the decision to play this game the RDS becomes. We may have got 50% of the tickets but I am pretty sure Leinster fans will have got their hands on hundreds of them. We're going to be outnumbered playing at the home of Leinster. Genius.

What was the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Tox56 wrote: »
    Winters wrote: »

I knew it. Re-regs, caught finally! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Could havv opted for Thomond Park... Bit of a trek tho

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »

Thomond

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

iamjenko wrote: »

would of been even more one sided towards Leinster supporters if it had gone to thomond

Winters wrote: »

The Aviva

The Aviva

Given that Ulster didn't sell out their allocation for the RDS, the Aviva would of been an even worse choice, as it wouldn't of been nearly full and again it would of seen an even bigger imbalance towards Leinster supporters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

iamjenko wrote: »

I think given the game was only confirmed two weeks in advance you would get even less fans making the journey. Bit of a ballache, but RDS really was the only option if we can't use GAA grounds.

Or my own preference is that the contractors would have got a kick up the arse and re-developed Ravenhill a bit quicker...something a bit like this maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The premiership final sold out very quickly... I think we could have made a decent job of selling out the Aviva in a similar way. Would've been 70% Leinster fans though.

A thought: The final should rotate between Aviva/Murrayfield/Cardiff/Rome?

A thought: The final should rotate between Aviva/Murrayfield/Cardiff/Rome?

You wouldn't get enough travelling support to make this a runner

I think part of the problem for the Pro 12 final is that fans only have two weeks notice about where the final is going to be.

If we knew months in advance that the final was going to be at the Aviva then I think it would probably sell out. This may or not be the case if it was in Cardiff or Edinburgh but then you just choose smaller stadiums.

From memory I think the first few Premiership finals were far from sell outs at Twickenham.

Or my own preference is that the contractors would have got a kick up the arse and re-developed Ravenhill a bit quicker...something a bit like this maybe...

FAO Justsomebloke - What does "re-braking it" mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The RDS was clearly the only viable venue for this weekend's final. Yes it would have been nice if Ravenhill could have been used but with a knowledge of both construction and project management, speeding things up introduces risk of the project going over budget and worse still failing.

If the Ravenhill work hadn't even started the RDS would still be the only option. Just stop giving out, be glad you are getting a stadium redevelopment for free and look forward to all the finals can have from 2014 onwards.

FAO Justsomebloke - What does "re-braking it" mean?

I think you changed it a couple of times to get the youtube link embedded but hadn't got it fomatted correctly. I changed it so it was working but after that you changed it again so that it wasn't working again. At which point I redid it again to get the link working

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah I think you might. You'd have to flog tickets cheaply enough though.

If you have a year to sell the tickets rather than 2 weeks I think it'd work.

Maybe when the league improves it reputation a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ah I think you might. You'd have to flog tickets cheaply enough though.

If you have a year to sell the tickets rather than 2 weeks I think it'd work.

Maybe when the league improves it reputation a little bit.

No way would there be enough travelling support IMO, especially at the very end of the season when most of us are broke. I think it has to be defined by which teams are in the final.....Did the RDS sell out when Leinster played Ospreys in the final last year? I just can't remember, but even if it did, remember that Leinster fans were on a high from the previous week which would have boosted demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

How about play it in the home countries national stadium that finishes first, that would give at least 3+ weeks to sell tickets at least if the league went down to the wire

How about play it in the home countries national stadium that finishes first, that would give at least 3+ weeks to sell tickets at least if the league went down to the wire

And possibly have two Irish teams playing in Cardiff....or Edinburgh? Ugh! Or even Italy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Highest placed finalist gets a home tie...is that the current rule and we couldn´t go ahead because of minimum seating/construction phase of Ravers? Sorry for my ignorance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

vienne86 wrote: »
    And possibly have two Irish teams playing in Cardiff....or Edinburgh? Ugh! Or even Italy?

The odds of that happening now :pac: The away teams rarely win the semi finals, just look at the last few Heineken Cup or Rabo semi finals

The odds of that happening now :pac: The away teams rarely win the semi finals, just look at the last few Heineken Cup or Rabo semi finals

But it could happen, and that would be enought to rule it out as an option IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I am pie wrote: »
    Highest placed finalist gets a home tie...is that the current rule and we couldn´t go ahead because of minimum seating/construction phase of Ravers? Sorry for my ignorance!
    yep thats it. The stadium has to be at least 18,000 though for the final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement