Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

.ak wrote: »
    Apparently Ulster returned 200 of their allocation as well.

They were put on Ticketmaster at 12 and have all sold. No idea how many from each side have what though. What Ulster lack in numbers will be made up by noise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

New tight head signed.
    Ulster Rugby has signed 27 year-old tighthead prop, Bronson Ross, from Coventry Rugby Club on a one-year development contract.

Ross was born in Oamaru, New Zealand, but is Irish qualified.
    He played for Dunedin in New Zealand and moved to Europe when he was 22. He spent two seasons at Boroughmuir in Scotland before representing Spanish side Guernica for a year. He joined Coventry at the start of the 2012/13 season and played 26 times for the club in National League 1.

Commenting on signing for Ulster Rugby, Ross said: ‘I have always wanted to play top-level rugby and so I am delighted to be joining one of the best rugby operations in Europe.

My mother was originally from Belfast, I have a lot of family there, so it will be great to represent the Province.’

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Signed on the basis that Afoa will be missing for sections of next season, I presume. Best of luck to him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Buer wrote: »
    Signed on the basis that Afoa will be missing for sections of next season, I presume. Best of luck to him.
    I'd say its more on the basis that Fitzpatrick and Macklin are almost always crocked and that its almost certainly Afoa's last season.

He will need at least a year to get a hang of top level rugby. Best of luck to him with Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Guernica and NL1 rugby?

This is like Leinster signing Ben Prescott. If he's anything more than a squad body it will be a superb piece of business!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Our DS, as in a Nintendo :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Guernica and NL1 rugby?

This is like Leinster signing Ben Prescott. If he's anything more than a squad body it will be a superb piece of business!

Is this guy behind Lutton also? who I think has done a decent job at TH?

Looking forward to next season where we might see an all irish front row of Fitz - Best - McAllister

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Utah_Saint wrote: »

Looking forward to next season where we might see an all irish front row of Fitz - Best - McAllister

You'll see that front row once before two thirds of it do their knees in and miss the rest of the season.

I doubt Paddy Mac is actually going to move to LH. He has always been a TH. I mean with Afoa Fitz Macklin Lutton and Ross Ulster certainly has numbers on the TH side, even if Fitz and Macklin are regularly crocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Or one of Black. Herring, Macklin - or Court, Annett, McCall. - or Caulfield, Murphy, Ross.
    I doubt Paddy Mac is actually going to move to LH. He has always been a TH. I mean with Afoa Fitz Macklin Lutton and Ross Ulster certainly has numbers on the TH side, even if Fitz and Macklin are regularly crocked.

McAllister has always been a loose head but is reportedly moving across to tight head next season actually. He is a huge guy to begin with who has just spent a season doing weights and eating so maybe that's behind the reasoning. Not sure if it's possible. Props have gone from t /h to l / h - like the Claw. Afoa can play loose head pretty well. I wouldn't like to see Healy at tight head for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jacothelad wrote: »
    McAllister has always been a loose head but is moving across to tight head actually.

Really? I didn't know that. Very interesting.

I don't think he's ever played TH at professional level before?

Will McAllister be back for the start of the new season? He had a very bad injury

Or one of Black. Herring, Macklin - or Court, Annett, McCall. - or Caulfield, Murphy, Ross.

McAllister has always been a loose head but is reportedly moving across to tight head next season actually. He is a huge guy to begin with who has just spent a season doing weights and eating so maybe that's behind the reasoning. Not sure if it's possible. Props have gone from t /h to l / h - like the Claw. Afoa can play loose head pretty well. I wouldn't like to see Healy at tight head for example.
    Actually meant that but said the wrong one by mistake, he is supposed to be moving to TH according to a lot of internet gossip but I personally don't buy it.

Ulster have a lot of players at TH but only really Court McAlister and Black at LH
    Really? I didn't know that. Very interesting.

I don't think he's ever played TH at professional level before?
    He has never played TH before at professional level. I don't think he has ever played it at a lower level either.

Will McAllister be back for the start of the new season? He had a very bad injury
    He is reportedly doing fine and hopefully will be ready for a good pre-season.

He is reportedly doing fine and hopefully will be ready for a good pre-season.
    You don't happen to know the story with Chris Farrell? Will he be back for the new season. Would love to see him back creating competition for Cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Farrell has definitley been back at training, do he should be in contention for next season

excellent

Great bonus to have Afoa start.

(15-9): J Payne, A Trimble, D Cave, S Olding, T Bowe, P Jackson, R Pienaar;
    (1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (C), D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry, N Williams;
    Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, D Fitzpatrick, I Henderson, M McComish, P Marshall, M Allen, P Nelson.

Great bonus to have Afoa start.

(15-9): J Payne, A Trimble, D Cave, S Olding, T Bowe, P Jackson, R Pienaar;
    (1-8): T Court, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller (C), D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry, N Williams;
    Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, D Fitzpatrick, I Henderson, M McComish, P Marshall, M Allen, P Nelson.

McfeckinComish. Waste of space since about Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is Stevenson injured? I'd have thought having him and Henderson on the bench would have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Christmas only?

I'd almost have thrown Doyle in but I suppose, nominally anyway, McComish covers the entire back row and I think Doyle has only played about 20 mins since recovering from his leg break.

Is Stevenson injured? I'd have thought having him and Henderson on the bench would have been better.

I think he's another concussion victim. Not 100% sure about that.

I think McComish's ability to cover a few positions is the only reason he gets on the bench. That or he has some major dirt on Anscombe.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Former Ulster player Conor Gaston has signed for Aurillac.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So now that the dust has settled we really need to win something next year. It would be a shame if the spine of this current team left with no silverware.

There will be even more pressure on us next year, I really hope we can cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    So now that the dust has settled we really need to win something next year. It would be a shame if the spine of this current team left with no silverware.

There will be even more pressure on us next year, I really hope we can cope.

If you look at the trend in the teams, Ulster will probably establish themselves as the top province next season, and it will result in some silverware I feel. Topping the league this season hasn't been mentioned much either, but in my eyes it's worth silverware alone.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you look at the trend in the teams, Ulster will probably establish themselves as the top province next season, and it will result in some silverware I feel. Topping the league this season hasn't been mentioned much either, but in my eyes it's worth silverware alone.

That may be true, I still think we have a bit to do to establish ourselves as top province. The first thing is to win something.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I actually think Ulsters biggest threat next season will be Glasgow. Leinster will remain competitive, but our ability to compete in the league will be hampered by both our departees, aging players and most important players being away on Ireland duty. Munster should improve on this season, but I'm not convinced they have the players there atm. They'll be there or there-abouts for the play-offs though. I could easily see a final between Ulster and Glasgow this time next year.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think the Play Offs are a necessary evil in the modern game but I don't see why the table toppers shouldn't at least got some sort of trophy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement