Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I was thinking that its quiet here too. I've been working through week 5 and repeating some days. I went for my first 20 min run yesterday and sad to say I couldn't finish it. I did about 12 minutes and walked and ran the rest of it. But its amazing that I can do that much. Now I have the same question. Will I repeat this day or carry on to week 6? What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm still running. Getting there slowly. Was out for W7 R2 yesterday. Physio appt tomorrow to see how things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

happyday wrote: »
    I was thinking that its quiet here too. I've been working through week 5 and repeating some days. I went for my first 20 min run yesterday and sad to say I couldn't finish it. I did about 12 minutes and walked and ran the rest of it. But its amazing that I can do that much. Now I have the same question. Will I repeat this day or carry on to week 6? What do you think?

I'd say give the 20 minute run another go, it'll give you a great boost when you do it. Maybe you were just having an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

My advice is to keep repeating a day until you can do it. Believe me, the rest of the program will seem a lot less daunting if you do it this way :)

Thanks guys. I did week 6 day 1 which is 2 x 10 min runs and finished that. That's the last day with intervals. Tomorrow I will try a 22 min run even though I couldn't do the 20 min one. At this stage I'll just keep building up to the 20 mins each time I run and eventually I'll get there. It's a big leap from intervals to no stopping, isn't it!

• Advertisement

Back out today for the first time in weeks, (did wk3 d1 with friend last week but that doesn't count!). Went back to my old route, didn't really do couch25k programme just ran as far as I could.
    Was accompanied by docjewel for this one which was great because I couldn't cheat or give up!!! No doubt he was yawning the whole way round but it was great to have him there to motivate me.
    Hope to get out a few more times this week if work doesn't get in the way.

Hey folks. Did W6D3 today which was the 22min run. Was weary of getting a stitch so dropped my speed by 0.5km/h ( I normally run at 8.5kp/h but did 8 today ) I couldnt believe the difference that this made. I was able to do the 22 mins with no trouble at all. So if anyone is worrying about the longer runs, my advice going on today would be to drop your speed a little. I hope this helps folks :) GL

I'm on week 7 now and have managed a 25 min run without stopping. Amazing for me! I've started Bikram yoga too. The hot yoga. It's very intense. I went last night and felt to exhausted to run today so I walked instead. Any advice from anyone on how much exercise it is good to do on in between running days?

I'm on week 7 now and have managed a 25 min run without stopping. Amazing for me! I've started Bikram yoga too. The hot yoga. It's very intense. I went last night and felt to exhausted to run today so I walked instead. Any advice from anyone on how much exercise it is good to do on in between running days?

Ideally you would want to be resting or doing something easy on the non running days. I usually do some upper body weights and some core exercises. Find that the legs are fresher then.

Happyday if you look at the likes of the Hal Higdon plans they recommend walking/cycling/swimming etc. I suppose anything that helps build your aerobic fitness helps. I'm going back to Pilates next week which is great for your core, can't wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I'm on week 3 day 1 although I haven't done it in about 2 weeks! I really need to get out again as I've signed up for the runamuck 10k challenge in 1 month and my friend runs 5k on a bad day so I should really get going with it :P just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice? I had a 3 minute run which I found very difficult. I finished one of the runs but had to walk some of the others. When I run I run very slowly, does that matter? Thanks for any advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'm on week 3 day 1 although I haven't done it in about 2 weeks! I really need to get out again as I've signed up for the runamuck 10k challenge in 1 month and my friend runs 5k on a bad day so I should really get going with it :P just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice? I had a 3 minute run which I found very difficult. I finished one of the runs but had to walk some of the others. When I run I run very slowly, does that matter? Thanks for any advice!

Best advice I can give you is get out there and just do it! Don't let it go another 2 weeks without running. Do it tomorrow! Seriously, it really doesn't matter at this stage how slowly you are running. It's better to run ridiculously slowly but keep going in some kind of running motion for the running sections rather than having to stop and walk. Time on your feet running is what's important now. If you're not able for the 3 minute runs still, then step back a week. Just stick with it and do your 3 x runs a week whatever and it'll all fall into place for you in a few weeks. Best of luck.

Running slowly doesn't matter at all. Once you're running you're doing well. If you keep it up and go out 3 days a week you'll soon be able to do your 3 minute runs no problem at all. Good luck!

Was hoping to get out today but it's been raining all day. Hopefully it won't be as bad for the rest of the week. I think I'll try get out earlier in the morning just I get it over with. Hoping to complete the programme soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Was hoping to get out today but it's been raining all day. Hopefully it won't be as bad for the rest of the week. I think I'll try get out earlier in the morning just I get it over with. Hoping to complete the programme soon!

Running in the rain is fun ;) try it!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Running in the rain is fun ;) try it!

Got caught out during the summer in the rain in the middle of the forest.. My poor feet were swimming in water!

Did W7D1 today, delighted I got through it. Was tough about half way through, but I put that down to poor eating yesterday. Have another two 25 minute runs o do this week and then next week is the big one.

Feel like I'm going to do it, and I'm going to sit in all weekend so I'm nice and fresh next week. Think my weekends are holding me back big time!!

Good luck to everyone doing the program at the minute. What I found is hat each week seems to be as difficult as the last. Your body just gets used to running for longer over the nine weeks. At week 2 or 3, I was done after the five min runs, but now 5 mins is grand.

Keep it up all. It's an amazing thing to be doing with your life :)

No posts on here in over a month! Today I did the last day of the programme. Week 8 Day 3 and I finished the 30 minutes. I ran just under 4k in that time. I'm going to continue on and do the next ap to bring me up to 10k eventually. If I keep going I'll do the 5k at some stage. My pace is just slower than the ap allows for. Is anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

No posts on here in over a month! Today I did the last day of the programme. Week 8 Day 3 and I finished the 30 minutes. I ran just under 4k in that time. I'm going to continue on and do the next ap to bring me up to 10k eventually. If I keep going I'll do the 5k at some stage. My pace is just slower than the ap allows for. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Well done happyday - delighted to hear of your progress.

I mentioned it before in the thread (under an old handle) that the app should be called couch to 30 min rather than 5k as quite a lot of beginners end up doing less than 5k in 30 min and it's too much of a push to hit 5k in 30 min so soon. Times will come down as you keep improving.

Well done happyday! I abandoned the couch to 5k a couple of weeks back. Instead I've gone out with docjewel a couple of times which is better for me I think as he motivates me to keep going. If I'm on my own and the word 'stop' enters my head then that's the end of it!!!
    I'm sure he's secretly yawning as we plod around at such a slow pace but I'm finding it far more enjoyable when he's with me.
    I haven't been out in over a week due to work but hoping to get out in the morning. We don't know ourselves now that our two boys are in school all day so I've no excuses ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Well done happyday there will be no stopping you now.
    I started the c25k last June and completed my first half marathon at the weekend in just over 2 hrs.
    I couldn't run for 30 seconds the first night I started the c25k program.

Casey78 wrote: »
    Well done hapoyday there will be no stopping you now.
    I started the c25k last June and completed my first half marathon at the weekend in just over 2 hrs.
    I couldn't run for 30 seconds the first night I started the c25k program.

Wow! That's inspiring Casey! I'm getting a buzz out of doing a little more each week. I never thought I'd enjoy it so much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Started Weel 5 day 1 there last night. 3 runs of 5 minutes, broken up by 2.5 minutes of walking in between. Didn't go too badly, although set quite a mediocre pace just so I wouldn't wreck myself.

By the end of this week there is a 20 minute straight run involved, dreading yet looking forward to it!

niallo24 wrote: »
    Started Weel 5 day 1 there last night. 3 runs of 5 minutes, broken up by 2.5 minutes of walking in between. Didn't go too badly, although set quite a mediocre pace just so I wouldn't wreck myself.

By the end of this week there is a 20 minute straight run involved, dreading yet looking forward to it!

Best of luck with the 20 mins Niallo. It's a big change but great to get it done too. I couldn't do the 20 mins the first time I tried but I repeated it a few times and got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Best of luck with the 20 mins Niallo. It's a big change but great to get it done too. I couldn't do the 20 mins the first time I tried but I repeated it a few times and got there in the end.

Cheers yeah, was out last night and it was 2 8 minute runs broken by 5 mins of walking so the 20 minutes next up will be a challenge but last night went fairly smoothly. Feeling pretty good!

Is there any thread for 5 to 10k? I've started an new ap to bring me up to the 10k and I'd like some company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Well done happyday! I abandoned the couch to 5k a couple of weeks back. Instead I've gone out with docjewel a couple of times which is better for me I think as he motivates me to keep going. If I'm on my own and the word 'stop' enters my head then that's the end of it!!!
    I'm sure he's secretly yawning as we plod around at such a slow pace but I'm finding it far more enjoyable when he's with me.
    I haven't been out in over a week due to work but hoping to get out in the morning. We don't know ourselves now that our two boys are in school all day so I've no excuses ;)

you'll be passing him in no time! you just need to do the 20 mile long runs he does every couple of days!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Anyone know of any 5k runs coming up in the Dublin area? I'd like to do one having finished the c25k program

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Is there any thread for 5 to 10k? I've started an new ap to bring me up to the 10k and I'd like some company.

I don't believe there is but why not start one ? Build it and they will come etc :D
    Anyone know of any 5k runs coming up in the Dublin area? I'd like to do one having finished the c25k program

Remberance Run 5k is on Sunday week in the Phoenix Park. Am doing this myself as part of my injury comeback. :)

• Advertisement

Agree with PM, you should start one up, I might join you in a couple of weeks ;)

Advertisement