Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

thanks for that, I've been looking at the GPS watches, if I keep this running thing up I'm hoping Santa will bring me one, some of the prices though are eye watering. 120 euros is a bit more like it.

I have seen Timex GPS watches for less than €100.
    Not sure what they are like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Casey78 wrote: »
    Well I've done it !! Week 5 Day 3 20min run.
    Was so happy when I finished it,I was dreading it but I flew through it.
    Was suppose to go last night but had a long day at work and wasn't in the form for it so thought it would be best not to attempt it because I would have been annoyed if I couldn't finish it.
    I ran 3.6km in the 20mins at a pace of 5.35 min/km.
    I felt I had more in me tonight and probably could have kept going.I actually let out a cheer when the voice said cool down at the end of the 20min segment..If anyone had seen me they would have thought I was off my rocker.

I am chuffed with myself to be honest,6 weeks ago I could barely run for 30 secs.
    btw great advice to have the 5 song playlist ready to go for the 20min run,I knew when the last song came on I only had a few minutes left and it really helped.

Well done Casey! You're an inspiration. Now I feel that maybe I'll be able to do the same in a few weeks. I should have done day 3 of week 3 today but I was driving around the country all day so tomorrow will have to do. Keep up the good work! Week 6 here you come!;)

Thanks happyday!

Would you believe it but I actually ran 5k this morning :eek: :)

I woke up early around 6.30 am and couldn't get back to sleep so decided to get up and go for a run. I bought a new pair of runners yesterday and was itching to give them a test run.
    I decided not to use the c25k app and just put on Runkeeper to see how far I could go.
    Well amazingly I felt great and kept running past 3k,past 4k and next thing I knew the voice in the Runkeeper app tells me I have run 5k!

I done it in 29mins 50 seconds.

I am delighted with myself as I struggled to run 30 secs 5 weeks ago.
    I'm not sure what to do now though. I have 4 weeks left of the c25k program and I don't really know if I could go back to jog/walk/jog/walk...

What should I do? Should I go out again and see can I run 5k again and try get my time down and maybe try to increase distance or should I keep going with the c25k program even though I have already run 5k?

Casey78 wrote: »
    Thanks happyday!

Would you believe it but I actually ran 5k this morning :eek: :)

I woke up early around 6.30 am and couldn't get back to sleep so decided to get up and go for a run. I bought a new pair of runners yesterday and was itching to give them a test run.
    I decided not to use the c25k app and just put on Runkeeper to see how far I could go.
    Well amazingly I felt great and kept running past 3k,past 4k and next thing I knew the voice in the Runkeeper app tells me I have run 5k!

I done it in 29mins 50 seconds.

I am delighted with myself as I struggled to run 30 secs 5 weeks ago.
    I'm not sure what to do now though. I have 4 weeks left of the c25k program and I don't really know if I could go back to jog/walk/jog/walk...

What should I do? Should I go out again and see can I run 5k again and try get my time down and maybe try to increase distance or should I keep going with the c25k program even though I have already run 5k?

Wow! That's amazing. Isn't it great how much you can progress in just 5 weeks. I'm no expert but I think I would finish the c25k anyway. What do other people think? And what runners did you get? They must be good.:)

Today I did day 1 week 4 and I'm sorry to say I couldn't finish the last 5 minute run. I did about 4 minutes I think. Had to stop and I'm disappointed. I think I'll try day 2 on Thursday and see how it goes. I did a very long walk yesterday so maybe that had an effect. I feel so bad that I can't take the dog with me that I try to make up for it on in between days. She gets so excited when I put on my runners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

happyday wrote: »
    Today I did day 1 week 4 and I'm sorry to say I couldn't finish the last 5 minute run. I did about 4 minutes I think. Had to stop and I'm disappointed. I think I'll try day 2 on Thursday and see how it goes. I did a very long walk yesterday so maybe that had an effect. I feel so bad that I can't take the dog with me that I try to make up for it on in between days. She gets so excited when I put on my runners!
    I wouldn't worry, you nearly made it!

I'd complete the week and if you can't finish day three then repeat the week but I reckon you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Started week five and found it ok. I can't see myself running the 20 mins by the end of the week but il try my best!!!
    Just one thing, my pace is so slow, avg at 8.38 min/km. is that woeful?

Rfrip wrote: »
    Started week five and found it ok. I can't see myself running the 20 mins by the end of the week but il try my best!!!

Keep going you'll get there. I wouldn't worry about pace at the moment.Get the distance up and worry about the pace later. Also does that pace not also include the walking part of the program? It's going to be slower then when you average it out.

I couldn't jog for 30 secs 5 weeks ago and I am now able do a 5k.
    I played a lot of football when I was younger so I think that has helped me get back into it even though it's been about 5 years since I done any form of exercise.

I went an did another 5k last night and done it in 27min 55secs which was 2mins faster than my first 5k! Delighted with myself to be honest.
    I don't think I will go back doing the program,I really couldn't go back to walk/jog/walk.
    I have entered my first official 5k for the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Rfrip that pace sounds fine to me, something similar to my own I think. I'm not going to worry about speed until I have a few 30 minute runs under my belt!!
    W8 D1 for me, took a 6 day break to celebrate my wedding anniversary (well that's my excuse anyway ;) ) I thought the break would do me good as I was feeling very tired last week, first 15 minutes were grand but after that my legs felt very heavy but managed it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Out this evening for W1 D2 .

• Advertisement

Rfrip wrote: »

I'm very slow too. My ap doesn't measure my speed. Which one do you use and why? I think mine is basic its C25K by Zen Labs. But I'm used to it now and slow to change. Best of luck with the 20 mins. I'm conscious that it's out ahead of me too. I just started week 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

guys, my advice is please don't worry about pace at this stage. Don't compare yourself to other runners. Some people on here will end up at the end of the programme easily running a 5k in 30 mins. Other won't. There are so many different factors to take into account such as fitness from other sports/general health and fitness etc and you just can't compare one person to another even if you're both on the same week of the programme. The main thing is time on your feet at this point. Whatever way you get to the last week, as long as you're jogging without stopping, no matter what the pace, you'll have completed the programme and will be well on the road to doing a 5k in 30 minutes. It's just harder for some than others. If you want running to be a part of your life long-term, stick with the programme, focus on your own goals and most of all, enjoy it:D

Thanks Ososlo. It's nice to hear that. I feel I'm doing very well as I've never really run before and I'm in my 40's now! I always found it hard but I could walk forever no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thanks Ososlo. It's nice to hear that. I feel I'm doing very well as I've never really run before and I'm in my 40's now! I always found it hard but I could walk forever no problem.

Only a bit younger myself and like you had never run and found it really tough. The first week of C25k nearly killed me... but I also could walk forever and i find the endurance i gained from walking long distances really stood to me when i started running longer distances. I did the programme in Nov 2011 and was able to run 19 miles on Saturday. Seriously if i can do that anyone can. Stick with it, don't miss any sessions
    unless you're injured or sick and you'll get on great. There is so much to be gained from having running as part of
    your everyday life. Best of luck and keep posting your progress here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭fits

W6D2 done. I am only getting out twice a week at the moment. Had sore legs this morning from a few long days on horseback but said I'd go anyway and although it was tough I completed.

Really enjoying it. I hope I'll be able to find another training program with such nice structure when I finish with this.

I'm very slow too. My ap doesn't measure my speed. Which one do you use and why? I think mine is basic its C25K by Zen Labs. But I'm used to it now and slow to change. Best of luck with the 20 mins. I'm conscious that it's out ahead of me too. I just started week 4.

Mines from active .com on App Store.
    It was free I'm sure. Good luck!

Support and advice is very much appreciated!thanks to all 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Kerry_2008

This has prob been covered in the past but would love to hear how people work through stitches. Over past couple of jogs I have gotten a pretty bad stitch in my side. Any thoughts on how to prevent them (and their cause)?

Also, I am on week 7 but feel like I'm regressing. I am finding the 25mins tough over the past couple of jogs.... Maybe the stitches are a mental thing linked to this funk... I have done one 25 and one 30min jog 5 & 7 days go and they were ok.

Any advice welcomed.
    S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Kerry_2008 wrote: »
    This has prob been covered in the past but would love to hear how people work through stitches. Over past couple of jogs I have gotten a pretty bad stitch in my side. Any thoughts on how to prevent them (and their cause)?

Also, I am on week 7 but feel like I'm regressing. I am finding the 25mins tough over the past couple of jogs.... Maybe the stitches are a mental thing linked to this funk... I have done one 25 and one 30min jog 5 & 7 days go and they were ok.

Any advice welcomed.
    S.
    Wait a good while after eating before running, and stretch a bit.

This works for me, mightn't for you, but when I'm running if I breath out hard and simultaneously land heavily on the opposite foot to the side I have the stitch, for a number of strides, it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Thanks Trampslikeus,
    I will give that a try either tomorrow or Sunday. Fingers crossed it'll do the trick.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Only a bit younger myself and like you had never run and found it really tough. The first week of C25k nearly killed me... but I also could walk forever and i find the endurance i gained from walking long distances really stood to me when i started running longer distances. I did the programme in Nov 2011 and was able to run 19 miles on Saturday. Seriously if i can do that anyone can. Stick with it, don't miss any sessions
    unless you're injured or sick and you'll get on great. There is so much to be gained from having running as part of
    your everyday life. Best of luck and keep posting your progress here.

19 miles! Wow I'd be happy to be able to do the 5k! I'm thinking of entering the women's mini marathon in Cork in September. 4 miles. Would I make it I wonder. I'd love to run it - the whole thing. I have walked it before.

Just did the 20 min jog on week 6
    Can't believe I just did it. I am four stone overweight, frightening unfit and after six wks I'm just thrilled with myself.
    First ten mins were ok, next 5 were tough n then the last five were ok
    Now I was slow enough, I jogged 2k in the 20mins but to think I could hardly walk 20 mins without being a wheezy mess about two months ago

Week 8 done. Change of venue this morning, ran on a running/bike track instead of in the woods, it was lovely to run on the flat with no hills, really enjoyed it for the first time in a while. Got to do a bit of cycling over the next few days, have a 50k cycle in less than 2 weeks:eek:

Well done Mrs Docjewel and Rfrip!

I did day 1 of week 5 and couldn't finish the last 5 minutes run. There are 3 x 5 minutes. The first one I found hard but told myself that I was still warming up. The second one I got through ok. But the last one I stopped after about 2.5 minutes. I found it really tough. I think I'll repeat this day again today instead of moving on. I think I wouldn't be able for longer runs yet. What do ye think?

Happyday I had a few days like that, it used to happen to me on day 2 of the week and sometimes I'd repeat the day but you might have been having a bad day and find the next day will be no problem. If you feel you really need to repeat it then do, you'll probably have a better experience and it will give you confidence to face the longer runs. I didn't think I could do these either but really it was all in my head!! Best of luck!

Happyday I had a few days like that, it used to happen to me on day 2 of the week and sometimes I'd repeat the day but you might have been having a bad day and find the next day will be no problem. If you feel you really need to repeat it then do, you'll probably have a better experience and it will give you confidence to face the longer runs. I didn't think I could do these either but really it was all in my head!! Best of luck!

Thanks for that. It's so nice to be able to come on here and ask a question. I repeated the day and I did it. I was so delighted with myself. 3 x 5 mins is a big deal for me. I'll carry on now and do day 2 of week 5 in a few days time. Wish me luck! I think there's an 8 min run in that one! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just wondering if anyone could help. I 've been down the gym for 4 weeks doing 40 minutes cardio. Part of that is 10 minutes on the treadmill. I'm now up to running for 6 minutes then walking for two before running for the final 2 minutes. So I'm wondering if I were to go onto the C25k what week should I look to start at ?

Also what apps come recommended ? I'd like one that measures distance if possible

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could help. I 've been down the gym for 4 weeks doing 40 minutes cardio. Part of that is 10 minutes on the treadmill. I'm now up to running for 6 minutes then walking for two before running for the final 2 minutes. So I'm wondering if I were to go onto the C25k what week should I look to start at ?

Also what apps come recommended ? I'd like one that measures distance if possible

Take a look at the couch to 5k programmes on the web, there are lots. I have the couch to 5k app from active.com downloaded on to my phone from iTunes. It measures distance, time, pace etc, I also use map my run and there's often quite a difference between pace and distance on the two apps.
    Most of the programmes last 30 minutes so depending on your fitness level you could start around week 3 and see how it goes and move up a week or step back a week depending on how you find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭fits

Muahahaha wrote: »

I would say week 4 or 5. Theres a 20 minute run on W5D3 so you might want to build up to that.

• Advertisement

This thread is gone very quiet. Haven't run in about two weeks. Did a good bit of cycling instead in preparation for a 50k cycle today. Buzzing after it, especially with the crowds cheering at the finish. Now I know what docjewel is talking about, think its after giving me an appetite for a race!!
    Anyway back to running this week, am really missing it. Never thought I'd say that ;)

Advertisement