Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

On this program for the third and hopefully final time. Just finished week 5 and I did a lot better than I thought. The 20 min run was not as bad as I thought. I think it was the thought of the length of the run that worried me, but now I'm confident of completing the program now :)

Saw that some people are talking about sore knees. I'm a physical therapist and it's important that the issue is addressed. The first thing I would say is that it could be a combination of factors. Are your shoes suitable for running, any issues with fallen arches, your style of running, where you run etc.

One thing I want to advise people is the importance of a good warm up and cool down. Plenty of stretching afterwards is crucial. I think most people neglect this part of training, and it's certainly one of the main reasons why people attend my clinic.

Congratulations on everyone who is on the program, it's amazing. I'm just over half way there and I'm seeing great results already. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

That's me with the sore knee:( I have the proper gel asics runner for running and no problem with falling arches or the likes. As for style of running, I really couldn't tell you but I did look up net as OP suggested and seen about my heel possibly hitting the ground first, so Im going keep an eye on that.
    Im sitting with legs up and ice on knee at the min as babs sleeps. It's quite sore and quite sore to even bend at the min, esp going up or down the stairs:o
    Hopefully will heel and if not in next day or so Ill see somebody with it
    Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Completed Week 7 last night, really struggled and feeling it today. Ran a total of 2.5k so no way am I going to be doing 5k by the end of week 9. :(

I'm coming up to the end of the plan and wondering what to do once I finish as I won't be able to do 5k in 30mins.

How do you increase your distance? I'm so used to the structure of the plan and being told what to do and when to do it and flying solo is a worry.

Should I

a) Try and increase my speed so I'm doing more in the 30 mins or

b) Work on getting to 5k even if its takes 45mins to 1hr

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'm coming up to the end of the plan and wondering what to do once I finish as I won't be able to do 5k in 30mins.

How do you increase your distance? I'm so used to the structure of the plan and being told what to do and when to do it and flying solo is a worry.

Should I

Well done! you're doing great! I was no where near 5k in 30 mins when I finished either. I think you should go for option b but don't increase more than about 5 mins each week. You should target a race soon to see where you're really at as you might surprise yourself in a race situation. (i surprised myself in my first 5k race but not in a good way:D)
    What do you ultimately want to do? Do you want to run longer distances? Or do you want to stick to 5k distance? If you want to go longer, you could look for "bridge to 10k" programmes. If you want to run faster at 5k and shorter, then I'm sure you'll find good improvement programmes that will help you with speed training over the distance. Even if you want to stay with 5k distances, I'd still say you should get used to being on your feet for longer and aim towards running for 60 mins. Just my opinion btw! Others might have better advice for you. Whatever you do, take your time as staying injury free is half the battle, especially when you're pretty new to it all. Best of luck! Look forward to following your progression on your log.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Well done! you're doing great! I was no where near 5k in 30 mins when I finished either. I think you should go for option b but don't increase more than about 5 mins each week. You should target a race soon to see where you're really at as you might surprise yourself in a race situation. (i surprised myself in my first 5k race but not in a good way:D)
    What do you ultimately want to do? Do you want to run longer distances? Or do you want to stick to 5k distance? If you want to go longer, you could look for "bridge to 10k" programmes. If you want to run faster at 5k and shorter, then I'm sure you'll find good improvement programmes that will help you with speed training over the distance. Even if you want to stay with 5k distances, I'd still say you should get used to being on your feet for longer and aim towards running for 60 mins. Just my opinion btw! Others might have better advice for you. Whatever you do, take your time as staying injury free is half the battle, especially when you're pretty new to it all. Best of luck! Look forward to following your progression on your log.

Thanks Ososlo. :) I've entered a 5k for the 31st Aug :eek:, I really just want to run it all without stopping :D and really don't mind how long it takes me but my pride is telling me I don't want to be the last one over the line either.

Ideally I'd like to be running 5k three or four times a week within 30 - 45 mins and once I'm doing that then move onto the 10k plan.

The goal at the moment is reaching the 5k point in a full run, no walking so I think increasing by 5 mins per week is the way to go, thank you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Yay! A couch to 5k thread! This app changed my life! My first morning I remember trying to run 60 secs and I couldn't. ..I was nearly puking. ..that was in january...but I stuck at it....went out in rain, hail, snow. ..gave myself no excuses...had the youngest with me...so pushed him in the buggy. ..nothing would stop me going out.

I had no proper gear, nothing to cover my phone when it rained so I had to do it by lampposts and sign posts in the end. But now 5k is my short run and on weekends I go on a 9k run. I have to stop half way on the 9k for a breather. ..but I'll get there in time.

My tip would be...if you're starting off...consider the first few stages as building blocks to the stamina you need to get to 5k. Don't make yourself hurt or suffer....you're building up muscles and strength in your legs that will get you to your 5k. Slow consistent running is all you need.

If you need to repeat a few weeks.. repeat them. You are in competition with no one and its more important not to turn it into a chore.

Running becomes a complete addiction. ..and you will never regret doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

/\ /\ /\ great post!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Really enjoying it myself. On week 4 went out Monday and yesterday. I am tempted to go out again today but i am going to stick to a days rest and go out tomorrow. The last five mins felt like the longest in my life but battled through looking forward to next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

i've just started back, well i'll be on week 5 day 3 tomorrow, but it does get addictive. was stiff this morning after the past two nights as i jogged on both but just itching to do d3 this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

In the middle of week 6, everything going fine except work starting to get in the way a bit, there is no way I could do a session while I'm on nights!!!! Haven't got enough days in the week at the moment. On a plus side its slightly cooler thank god;)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Should I

Firstly, well done.

Secondly, on training runs I would alternate between both. Do two to three sessions of (b) working to get to 5k by simply puttting in the mileage. Then once a week do some speed training. Pick up the pace and do a good trot for 100m or so, then walk to catch your breath, and repeat. It's not about the distance for this one, so 7-8 of those.

Mind you, you will probably look like a loon, but these fast sprint runs will help fitness and more importantly, help to ensure that when you are on a longer run you will be able to up a gear and pick up the pace a bit. I had huge difficulties on my longer runs on getting out of my 'normal plod' and picking up the pace.

Also, they're different and a bit fun. It is really running fast for 100m or so, a bit like kids do when they're running down the road.

As for the 5k, you'll be amazed how much easier it is when you're in a group of people. You're either chatting away, or looking at people. My own way of doing it is to fix my radar on someone who seems of a similar pace and 'mark' them. Similarly, try and look for someone up ahead who you think you are faster than and gradually work your way up to them and pass them (Note the 'gradually' word). Then find another victim/pacer and do the same. You will find the time passes much quicker in a group effort, mainly because the majority are in the same boat as yourself, looking to finish, not to win.

And lastly, have the craic and enjoy!!

Slightly off topic but i don't want to drag up a new thread, maybe someone here can help. Is it a positive if your losing BMI but staying the same weight. I weighed myself two weeks ago i was 11st 11 and 27.9BMI. I weighed earlier and i am still 11 11 but BMI is down to 26.9. It probably doesn't make a difference but is it better losing BMI or going down in weight?

shergar22 wrote: »
    Firstly, well done.

Secondly, on training runs I would alternate between both. Do two to three sessions of (b) working to get to 5k by simply puttting in the mileage. Then once a week do some speed training. Pick up the pace and do a good trot for 100m or so, then walk to catch your breath, and repeat. It's not about the distance for this one, so 7-8 of those.

Mind you, you will probably look like a loon, but these fast sprint runs will help fitness and more importantly, help to ensure that when you are on a longer run you will be able to up a gear and pick up the pace a bit. I had huge difficulties on my longer runs on getting out of my 'normal plod' and picking up the pace.

Also, they're different and a bit fun. It is really running fast for 100m or so, a bit like kids do when they're running down the road.

As for the 5k, you'll be amazed how much easier it is when you're in a group of people. You're either chatting away, or looking at people. My own way of doing it is to fix my radar on someone who seems of a similar pace and 'mark' them. Similarly, try and look for someone up ahead who you think you are faster than and gradually work your way up to them and pass them (Note the 'gradually' word). Then find another victim/pacer and do the same. You will find the time passes much quicker in a group effort, mainly because the majority are in the same boat as yourself, looking to finish, not to win.

And lastly, have the craic and enjoy!!

Thank you Shergar, that sounds like a good idea. I've just signed up for Parkrun Lucan and plan to do my first run with them tomorrow week to celebrate reaching the end of the C25K. Not sure I will be able to run it all but I'm looking forward to it and I think being around other runners will be a positive step for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I'm just back from Week 2, Day 3. I found it tough enough in the heat. My face is as pink as my t-shirt! Should I repeat Week 2 or try Week 3 and see if I can do it? I can't imagine doing a 3 minute jog.

Also any tips on running gear? I have my eye on an arm strap that would hold my phone. Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

happyday wrote: »
    I'm just back from Week 2, Day 3. I found it tough enough in the heat. My face is as pink as my t-shirt! Should I repeat Week 2 or try Week 3 and see if I can do it? I can't imagine doing a 3 minute jog.

Also any tips on running gear? I have my eye on an arm strap that would hold my phone. Any recommendations?

if you managed to do all the sessions for Week 2 then move on. Why not! I'd only repeat weeks if I didn't manage to do all the running intervals from Week 2. I'd say give it a go and if you find it too hard then go back but betchya you can do it;) Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but i don't want to drag up a new thread, maybe someone here can help. Is it a positive if your losing BMI but staying the same weight. I weighed myself two weeks ago i was 11st 11 and 27.9BMI. I weighed earlier and i am still 11 11 but BMI is down to 26.9. It probably doesn't make a difference but is it better losing BMI or going down in weight?

Since BMI is your weight divided by your height, it's impossible that your BMI has gone down while your weight has remained constant. Unless of course you have grown taller between weigh ins?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

happyday wrote: »

Go onto the next week. You'll surprise yourself how far you can run.I think the same thing as you with each week I finish but it always works out ok!! Starting week 5 this week which finishes with a 20min run on day 3...dreading it!

Casey78 wrote: »
    Go onto the next week. You'll surprise yourself how far you can run.I think the same thing as you with each week I finish but it always works out ok!! Starting week 5 this week which finishes with a 20min run on day 3...dreading it!

Thanks Casey! Let me know how you get on.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Casey78 wrote: »
    The twenty min run is the big obstacle, once you are over that you are well on your way. TBH I think you will find it easier than you think, its just a psychological thing, the first "long" run. The feeling you get when you have about 6/7 mins left and realize you will make it is amazing. My advice is not to check the time, if possible. Once you start doing the long runs you wont want to go back to the intervals.

Keep it up, and if you cant do the 20 mins (I bet you can!) just repeat the week.

I did a 40 minute run today and if you told me a few months ago that I would be able to that I would never have believed it. C25K is one of the best things I've ever done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

The twenty min run is the big obstacle, once you are over that you are well on your way. TBH I think you will find it easier than you think, its just a psychological thing, the first "long" run. The feeling you get when you have about 6/7 mins left and realize you will make it is amazing. My advice is not to check the time, if possible. Once you start doing the long runs you wont want to go back to the intervals.

Keep it up, and if you cant do the 20 mins (I bet you can!) just repeat the week.

I did a 40 minute run today and if you told me a few months ago that I would be able to that I would never have believed it. C25K is one of the best things I've ever done.

Can only totally agree with everything here. If you look back a few pages here you'll see my post saying I felt there was no way I could do a twenty minute run but once you've followed the program it's actually much easier than you think.

Not looking at the clock is definitely good advice. I always listen to music while running and before I went out for the 20 minute run I lined up about 5 songs that added up to just over 20 mins. That way I could just concentrate on keeping going and I knew once the last song started that I was into the last minute or two. It's truly an immense feeling when you realise you're about to get there.

It's much easier to write this than to actually do it but believe me when I say you could be writing the same thing for someone else in a few weeks. If I can do a 20 or 25 minute run that anyone can, BELIEVE ME. So just go out and do it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Great idea about putting 5 songs as a playlist for 20min run.
    I've gone with....
    Thunderstruck
    Eye of the Tiger
    Sweet Child of mine
    We are the Champions
    Gonna fly now theme from Rocky.

all adds up to 19mins 57 sec!

If them songs don't get me through it nothing will !

I did day 1 of week 3 today and managed fine. I'm delighted to be able to run 3 mins x 2. I know that's nothing compared to 20 or 30 mins but it's a milestone for me. I'm very slow though. But I feel that if I end up able to run for 30 mins at the end of this, I can concentrate on building up speed then.

Finished Week 8 last night, found it hard going, not sure why. I just felt really heavy and slow but got through it and starting Week 9 tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

So following on from a wk ago when I posted about sore knees, I went to physio on thurs last wk and was informed my knee caps are misaligned and I have runners knee. So I was given exercises for six days and yesterday was day three, and I haven't found much improvement. So the physio did mention about possibly getting insoles, so I went got a gait analysis done yesterday and got insoles made up for me. I have finally got some ease, and I really hope that they will continue to improve for me.
    Have any of you experienced runners knee?? How long did it take to ease?
    Unfortunately I was also told I have to make the decision now myself whether I want to continue to run after this! Im raging as I was enjoying it, but really the pain is just so sore.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭fits

^ Maybe take a rest for a week or so and then build it back up slowly?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Since BMI is your weight divided by your height, it's impossible that your BMI has gone down while your weight has remained constant. Unless of course you have grown taller between weigh ins?

Ye it's on a reliable scales in a chemist. Weight can fluctuate maybe it was a mistake. I had a poor week eating but still kept up the jogging so was happy not to have gained weight.

Started week 5 this morning. I actually found i am getting used to the 5 minutes which is a plus. Looking forward to the challenge of going 8 mins Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 krustygstring

Hi all,

Its great to read about all your experiences so I figured I'd add mine to the thread.

I'm a longtime smoker who's never been very athletic. Weight isn't a big issue, I carry probably a stone more that I should.
    Like many others here the thought of running continuously for anything longer than a few minutes seemed impossible, but after too many years of excuses I've decided to just bloody do it.
    I've got an Android phone (Nexus4 if you're wondering) and decided to go with the the Couch-to-5k app from "The ACTIVE Network". There seem to be loads of good free ones too but I heard good things about that one and so far so good.
    I am on Week 2 Day 2 and all is going well. For Week 1 the surprising thing for me was that it wasn't my lungs that hurt, but my shins. Thankfully this was temporary and with every run it's getting better.
    Todays run (Wk2Day1) was still okay, although I think I'm running too fast and trying to beat previous times/distances instead of just keeping a comfortable pace, but otherwise all good.

I'm going back to read this thread from the start so apologies if this has been asked hundreds of times already but I'm feeling very fresh after today's run and really want to go again tomorrow instead of having the days break in between. Is the "stick to the routine" mantra still applicable here, or if I'm finding the session doable is it okay to condense them into one every day instead of 3 a week? (still sticking to the plan, just removing recovery day, and no doubt going back to recovery day when I start to feel it more).

To anyone reading this thread who has yet to start: If I can do it so can you
    To everyone else: Keep the posts coming. It's very encouraging to hear how others are getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Hi all,

Its great to read about all your experiences so I figured I'd add mine to the thread.

I'm a longtime smoker who's never been very athletic. Weight isn't a big issue, I carry probably a stone more that I should.
    Like many others here the thought of running continuously for anything longer than a few minutes seemed impossible, but after too many years of excuses I've decided to just bloody do it.
    I've got an Android phone (Nexus4 if you're wondering) and decided to go with the the Couch-to-5k app from "The ACTIVE Network". There seem to be loads of good free ones too but I heard good things about that one and so far so good.
    I am on Week 2 Day 2 and all is going well. For Week 1 the surprising thing for me was that it wasn't my lungs that hurt, but my shins. Thankfully this was temporary and with every run it's getting better.
    Todays run (Wk2Day1) was still okay, although I think I'm running too fast and trying to beat previous times/distances instead of just keeping a comfortable pace, but otherwise all good.

I'm going back to read this thread from the start so apologies if this has been asked hundreds of times already but I'm feeling very fresh after today's run and really want to go again tomorrow instead of having the days break in between. Is the "stick to the routine" mantra still applicable here, or if I'm finding the session doable is it okay to condense them into one every day instead of 3 a week? (still sticking to the plan, just removing recovery day, and no doubt going back to recovery day when I start to feel it more).

To anyone reading this thread who has yet to start: If I can do it so can you
    To everyone else: Keep the posts coming. It's very encouraging to hear how others are getting on.

I'd stick to the plan if I were you, especially if you had shin pain last week. I was a bit eager like you at the start but got good advice to keep the recovery day. Also someone in the know is constantly telling me to slow down which really is good advice, you can start racing later on but for now just get used to running and build up your endurance. I'm on week 7 now......never thought I could ever run for 25 minutes.

• Advertisement

I've noticed the last few runs my legs are really sore, I've put it down to the lenght of the run - I've just finished W8. I did my last run on Sunday night and I'm due to go out tonight, been taking it easy since then but my legs are still a bit sore around the knees and calves. Any ideas how to prepare myself for my next run?

I must admit I don't do warm ups or cool downs :o Would that be part of the problem?

Advertisement