Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭fits

I must admit I don't do warm ups or cool downs :o Would that be part of the problem?

YES!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I've noticed the last few runs my legs are really sore, I've put it down to the lenght of the run - I've just finished W8. I did my last run on Sunday night and I'm due to go out tonight, been taking it easy since then but my legs are still a bit sore around the knees and calves. Any ideas how to prepare myself for my next run?

I must admit I don't do warm ups or cool downs :o Would that be part of the problem?

a good fast walk before and after should be enough to wake up the muscles. 5-10 mins maybe. Presume you have good trainers suitable for your feet? It could also be just natural soreness with your muscles getting used to the extra effort. If you're serious about keeping up your running I'd strongly suggest you getting a foam roller and rolling your calfs and It band regularly. Saves me an absolute fortune on physio visits and haven't needed to go to one since I started rolling. When I was starting out like you I had physio visits every month. A lot of regular sports shops have them in stock or you can get online for not that much. Best of luck!

How do you use the roller? I have a very tight IT band, and the stretches I do dont seem to get to it.

fits wrote: »
    How do you use the roller? I have a very tight IT band, and the stretches I do dont seem to get to it.

Hi fits, here ya go!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0

When I'm rolling along the side or front of the thigh, if I find a knot or sore spot I hold position over the sore spot for about 30 seconds and it usually loosens out and stops hurting. Works like a dream for me for ITBS. I do it about 3 times a week. Any other queries I'll try and help out. Lots more knowledgeable people than me out there but this is what works for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Ososlo wrote: »
    a good fast walk before and after should be enough to wake up the muscles. 5-10 mins maybe. Presume you have good trainers suitable for your feet? It could also be just natural soreness with your muscles getting used to the extra effort. If you're serious about keeping up your running I'd strongly suggest you getting a foam roller and rolling your calfs and It band regularly. Saves me an absolute fortune on physio visits and haven't needed to go to one since I started rolling. When I was starting out like you I had physio visits every month. A lot of regular sports shops have them in stock or you can get online for not that much. Best of luck!

Yeah I got proper trainers, did the gait thing and have a good fit. I do about 5 mins walking before I run, I walk a bit at the end but I'm not doing any kind of stretch routine. I tend to just collapse on the sofa and stay there for the rest of the night.

Silly question but where is the IT band? Is that along the outside of the leg?

• Advertisement

Those foam roller exercises look great, The IT band and hip ones in particular. I have fierce tight hips/glutes going down into IT band.

Yeah IT band is on outside of leg from top of hip to knee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

I've noticed the last few runs my legs are really sore, I've put it down to the lenght of the run - I've just finished W8. I did my last run on Sunday night and I'm due to go out tonight, been taking it easy since then but my legs are still a bit sore around the knees and calves. Any ideas how to prepare myself for my next run?

Try this for your calves. I was having a bit of calve/achillies trouble and this helped

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

week 5 day 1 last night. Went very well. I actually kept running after the last 5 mins jog segment for the 5 mins cool down walk.
    8 mins run x 2 on Wednesday then the 20min run Saturday morning.
    I think doing the 10mins run at the end of my session last night has given me the belief I can do the 20mins

Went hunting for a foam roller this afternoon. Unsuccessfully. Argos sold out. None in champion sports, none in sports world (heatons). Where is good to get them?

Went hunting for a foam roller this afternoon. Unsuccessfully. Argos sold out. None in champion sports, none in sports world (heatons). Where is good to get them?

ebay?

• Advertisement

Online here :
    http://www.physioproducts.ie/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=396&idcategory=28

I remember seeing them in a few sports shops in Dublin city centre recently but can't remember where now.

Started on Week 9 last night, kinda sad I'm at the end now lol. I took the time at the end to do a proper cool down using a routine I found online and I can really feel a difference this morning. My legs feel normal compared to other post run mornings where I've been stiff and in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Started on Week 9 last night, kinda sad I'm at the end now lol. I took the time at the end to do a proper cool down using a routine I found online and I can really feel a difference this morning. My legs feel normal compared to other post run mornings where I've been stiff and in pain.

You have a link at all? Warm up and cool downs are so important.

I bought the foam roller and had a go on it already. My left hip/IT band were so sore I almost passed out from it but I didnt push too hard and I think they have loosened out a bit. They have been tight and sore for a long time so it will just take some patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I didn't get out yesterday or today with the rain. I'll have to go tomorrow or loose some progress I think. Keep posting everyone, its keeping me motivated! Has anyone bought an armband for holding their phone? I want to get one and would like some advice.

happyday wrote: »
    I didn't get out yesterday or today with the rain. I'll have to go tomorrow or loose some progress I think. Keep posting everyone, its keeping me motivated! Has anyone bought an armband for holding their phone? I want to get one and would like some advice.
    I bought one on eBay for a couple of euro. It's grand only I have a Galaxy S4 so it's a little bulky on the arm. I was thinking when I'm finished the program I'll buy an ipod shuffle and a gps watch as I think it would be handier than the phone. The ipod shuffle is only small.
    The music really gets me through the tough nights. Doing week 5 day 3 tomorrow which is 20min run!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 krustygstring

happyday wrote: »

I've been ridiculously lucky with the rain. I headed out this afternoon when there was a break. I was expecting to get drenched but it kindly waited until I was walking back in my front door before it poured down again. I'm kinda okay with getting soaked though, the rain might mask the river of sweat coming down my face :)

I'm on the lookout for an armband for my phone too. I've seen one or two on Amazon but hoping others here can recommend one (for LG Nexus4). Got my eye on this one.

Afraid I can't recommend one for you but if you mention model I'm sure someone here can give advice (or even try the more general running and phone specific forums, and I'm gonna go take my own advice on that now!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

It's actually not that bad, running in the rain, especially if it is that light haze we get so often

As a follow up to my previous queries on Monday about wanting to skip rest days, and running too quick: the wisdom of the forum was correct on both counts.

Rest day: I had a few niggles in my ankles and knees which I was just going to run through, but thought the better of it and took the extra day to recover. The run today was good but I could feel that if I had tried it yesterday I'd be in a lot more pain now.

Speed: My eagerness to continuously beat my previous times was getting the better of me (4 sessions in!) so I slowed down my running pace today and whaddya know, my distance covered in 31 mins was better. Here's the breakdown:

Wk2D1 (Monday):
    Avg walking speed: 9:02 min per km
    Walk distance: 2.43
    Avg running speed: 5:01 min per km
    Run distance: 1.79
    Total distance: 4.22

Wk2D2 (Today):
    Avg walking speed: 8:21 min per km
    Walk distance: 2.63
    Avg running speed: 5:19
    Run distance: 1.69
    Total distance: 4.32

Much better when I didn't kill myself due to brisker walking. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

What's the best couch to 5k app for iphone? Seems to be a lot out there.

Something that shows calories burnt, best times, map of route, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Week 7 done! Went out again at 7.30am after very little sleep. Loved running in the heavy rain (not so much the muck!)
    I'm starting to find that I get a whopper of a headache about an hour after I finish, I'm presuming this has something to do with running on an empty stomach? Anyone else have this problem?

Are you sure you're not dehydrated? Big cause of headaches.

I just finished W5D3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Are you sure you're not dehydrated? Big cause of headaches.

I just finished W5D3 :D

Well done fits you're over half way there!
    No don't think I'm dehydrated, in fact I'm drinking plenty of water before and after. I was thinking it had more to do with not eating beforehand. I might try a run later in the day to see if it makes a difference.

Casey78 wrote: »
    I bought one on eBay for a couple of euro. It's grand only I have a Galaxy S4 so it's a little bulky on the arm. I was thinking when I'm finished the program I'll buy an ipod shuffle and a gps watch as I think it would be handier than the phone. The ipod shuffle is only small.
    The music really gets me through the tough nights. Doing week 5 day 3 tomorrow which is 20min run!!

Best of luck with the 20 mins Casey. Let us know how it goes!

I've been ridiculously lucky with the rain. I headed out this afternoon when there was a break. I was expecting to get drenched but it kindly waited until I was walking back in my front door before it poured down again. I'm kinda okay with getting soaked though, the rain might mask the river of sweat coming down my face :)

I'm on the lookout for an armband for my phone too. I've seen one or two on Amazon but hoping others here can recommend one (for LG Nexus4). Got my eye on this one.

Afraid I can't recommend one for you but if you mention model I'm sure someone here can give advice (or even try the more general running and phone specific forums, and I'm gonna go take my own advice on that now!).

Thanks Krustygstring - great name! My phone is a HTC Desire x.

More rain today so I'll just have to get out there. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 xjman

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced gps watch? One that shows calories burned and works similar to the runkeeper app...
    Loving this thread,by the way..keep all the feedback coming :)

niallo24 wrote: »
    What's the best couch to 5k app for iphone? Seems to be a lot out there.

Something that shows calories burnt, best times, map of route, etc?

There are buttloads out there. The one I use is on Android, but here's the iOS equivalent
    It's got very accurate route mapping, gives a good bit of detail about pace/distance, logs all days (if you repeat a day it stores both for comparison), has voice prompts for walking, jogging and optional halfway notification, and has a built in music player. There's no calories stats though. It's €1.79 which I've definitely not regretted, but as you said there are plenty of free interval and C25K alternatives if you don't wanna pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

xjman wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced gps watch? One that shows calories burned and works similar to the runkeeper app...
    Loving this thread,by the way..keep all the feedback coming :)
    I recently bought thé Garmin forerunner 10. It has everthing u need ie pace,distance,time,calories etc. Great watch that costs about 120 euros

I recently bought thé Garmin forerunner 10. It has everthing u need ie pace,distance,time,calories etc. Great watch that costs about 120 euros

thanks for that, I've been looking at the GPS watches, if I keep this running thing up I'm hoping Santa will bring me one, some of the prices though are eye watering. 120 euros is a bit more like it.

• Advertisement

Well I've done it !! Week 5 Day 3 20min run.
    Was so happy when I finished it,I was dreading it but I flew through it.
    Was suppose to go last night but had a long day at work and wasn't in the form for it so thought it would be best not to attempt it because I would have been annoyed if I couldn't finish it.
    I ran 3.6km in the 20mins at a pace of 5.35 min/km.
    I felt I had more in me tonight and probably could have kept going.I actually let out a cheer when the voice said cool down at the end of the 20min segment..If anyone had seen me they would have thought I was off my rocker.

I am chuffed with myself to be honest,6 weeks ago I could barely run for 30 secs.
    btw great advice to have the 5 song playlist ready to go for the 20min run,I knew when the last song came on I only had a few minutes left and it really helped.

Advertisement