Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I've just finished day 2 of week 1. I pressed the off button on my final run so all my data is gone.

I'm just posting before I forget the times.

I was going for over 3 km for the run. I did my first 3 runs at a 4 min. pace. My fourth was at 3 and a half. The final ones were looking like all at 4 and a half.

Hopefully I won't turn it off in future. I'm getting an armband next week.

Very impressive paces.

Try holding back a small bit at start. Aim for an even pace throughout rather than fading as run progresses. Especially when the runs start getting longer / joining up and you don't have as many rest periods and ultimately none. Starting too fast and struggling at end is not pleasant. Starting a little slower and if you have it in you finishing faster makes for a much happier run.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Very impressive paces.

Try holding back a small bit at start. Aim for an even pace throughout rather than fading as run progresses. Especially when the runs start getting longer / joining up and you don't have as many rest periods and ultimately none. Starting too fast and struggling at end is not pleasant. Starting a little slower and if you have it in you finishing faster makes for a much happier run.

I know. I'll try on Saturday to get a steady pace going.

I would probably be able to do a 5k run at the moment but I'd flag about halfway through and I'd get nowhere. I want to push myself to be able to keep on running at a decent pace throughout. I can't get too far ahead of myself though.

EDIT:

Excellent advice considering your username :P.

I know. I'll try on Saturday to get a steady pace going.

I would probably be able to do a 5k run at the moment but I'd flag about halfway through and I'd get nowhere. I want to push myself to be able to keep on running at a decent pace throughout. I can't get too far ahead of myself though.

EDIT:

Excellent advice considering your username :P.

Unfortunately I still run like a mule :p

In all seriousness though you are a bit of an enigma couch to 5k wise. Most people doing the couch to 5k are trying to build fitness from a zero base. A lot of people end up struggling to get to 5k within 30 min which would be 6 min pace.

You are here knocking out bursts at +/- 4 min pace. Even at a slowed down 5:00 pace you would hit 5k 5 min early on the last run :)

You are effectively using the couch to 5k program to increase endurance off an already fast / quite fit pace. Interesting to see what pace you ultimately sustain for 5k in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I've fallen off the wagon! After completing week 8 I took a break for a week as I was pretty busy and there were a couple of small niggles in the leg. Went out last night and it seemed like my fitness had already declined! I was nearly dead on my feet after 20 mins! :eek:

Unfortunately I still run like a mule :p

In all seriousness though you are a bit of an enigma couch to 5k wise. Most people doing the couch to 5k are trying to build fitness from a zero base. A lot of people end up struggling to get to 5k within 30 min which would be 6 min pace.

You are here knocking out bursts at +/- 4 min pace. Even at a slowed down 5:00 pace you would hit 5k 5 min early on the last run :)

You are effectively using the couch to 5k program to increase endurance off an already fast / quite fit pace. Interesting to see what pace you ultimately sustain for 5k in a few weeks.

It will. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I've fallen off the wagon! After completing week 8 I took a break for a week as I was pretty busy and there were a couple of small niggles in the leg. Went out last night and it seemed like my fitness had already declined! I was nearly dead on my feet after 20 mins! :eek:

It ain't easy , most of us fall of the wagon from time to time. Your difficulty last night could just be mental, they say it takes two weeks off to actually lose any fitness.

I fell of the wagon for a few months myself last winter but got my fitness back quite quickly when I started back.

Week 1 is finito.

I was very pleased with my run today. Only had two intervals below a 4 min./km pace. They were intervals 6 and 7. I could have pushed on and got them below 4 as well but I didn't.

I finished with a 3:34 which was my best of the day. I wanted to finish with a bang and I pushed myself and sprinted the whole way.

I really like the format. Part of my problem is that I don't have to stamina, at the moment, for long distance running. I've always been quite fast but only over shorter distances. I'm hoping that I can build up my stamina with this program.

I'm going to start going to the gym in a few weeks. I want to build up a semi-decent core strength before that though. I'm not going to be embarrassed when I get there.

Week 1 is finito.

I was very pleased with my run today. Only had two intervals below a 4 min./km pace. They were intervals 6 and 7. I could have pushed on and got them below 4 as well but I didn't.

I finished with a 3:34 which was my best of the day. I wanted to finish with a bang and I pushed myself and sprinted the whole way.

I really like the format. Part of my problem is that I don't have to stamina, at the moment, for long distance running. I've always been quite fast but only over shorter distances. I'm hoping that I can build up my stamina with this program.

I'm going to start going to the gym in a few weeks. I want to build up a semi-decent core strength before that though. I'm not going to be embarrassed when I get there.

Don't mean this to sound patronising. Please forgive me if it does ! But have you ever tried slowing down to increase stamina as such ? That last interval pace would have you at a 2:30 marathon ! Even a 4:15 pace would bring you home well under the holy grail of 3 hour pace. You might surprise yourself at how long you could run for at a slowed down pace. I reckon you could knock out 5k easily tomorrow maybe a lot more if you slowed it down enough.

Don't mean this to sound patronising. Please forgive me if it does ! But have you ever tried slowing down to increase stamina as such ? That last interval pace would have you at a 2:30 marathon ! Even a 4:15 pace would bring you home well under the holy grail of 3 hour pace. You might surprise yourself at how long you could run for at a slowed down pace. I reckon you could knock out 5k easily tomorrow maybe a lot more if you slowed it down enough.

It's not patronising at all. I agree. I probably could do 5k tomorrow. I'm not interested in being able to run that far competitively though.

I used to play soccer but was never fit enough to get a start. I'm sure it goes against all logic, but I want to be able to run at a quick pace for as long as I can. I need to be able to make a sprint in the 90th minute if I need to.

I'll give it a go pacing myself the next time. I can't guarantee anything though ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Hello, i just started running a few days ago for the very first time. I have never played sports or been very active at all. Im not overweight at all i just want to start running just to keep fit really. I downloaded an app off google play store called couch to 5k and been using that.
    I got through day one week one fine, however day two week one my muscles on legs are very sore today. Also i have found my skin back of my feet the achillies area is all cut and chaffed badly from runners. Id appreciate any advice!

• Advertisement

Do your runners fit you properly?

Do your runners fit you properly?
    my runners fit me perfectly like a glove, very comfortable. Brand new nike i paid over E100 for them.

Nodferatu wrote: »
    my runners fit me perfectly like a glove, very comfortable. Brand new nike i paid over E100 for them.

What socks are you wearing, Running socks are padded to protect the feet.
    Personally I purchased a pair of 1000 mile socks when I started out and never had any feet problems they're aound €12 I got min in Elverys, I also wear lidl/aldi running socks from time to time and while they are not as well padded as the 1000 mile socks they work fine for me.

I also go up one size from my normal shoe size when buying runners to allow for some swelling when running, not sure of the science behind that but i did read it somewhere at on point. Make sure they are tied properly too.

i bought a pair of ankle socks nike ones also, they could be the problem maybe, might need a size bigger pair of socks. i can't really walk today, my muscles are very sore
    shows how unfit i am :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I'm starting my first couch to 5K tonight. I'm only posting here to ensure that I'll actually do it. By writing it down it feels like I'm committing to something. I've never ever been able to run even when I was fit. Back in the day I was very active and into many sports. Now I couldn't even run for a bus.

wyrn wrote: »
    I'm starting my first couch to 5K tonight. I'm only posting here to ensure that I'll actually do it. By writing it down it feels like I'm committing to something. I've never ever been able to run even when I was fit. Back in the day I was very active and into many sports. Now I couldn't even run for a bus.

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Do it! you wont regret it!

The best if luck with it let us know how it goes for you. It's a warm night for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I started in Jan and tonight I did 8km!!

You are well able for it!!

Go for it!!

Thanks guys, really appreciate the support. I've been trying to set myself started on this for a long time. It's been hard and finally I made a proper start. I ended up doing not 1 but 2 of those C2K apps for Day1 Week1!

The past two weeks I've been walking a circuit near me, which is about 6K. Last week I started to jog a bit but couldn't manage more than a 30s burst. I really need someone to run alongside and shout at me.The circuit I walk is lovely, it's pretty flat and it can be broken up into three different sections.

So this evening I decided to give the C2K app a go and I was so surprised that it was so short for the first week. I was just about able to manage it without keeling over. Only realised when it finished halfway through my circuit. So I decided to try the other app that I had bought (this was in my "if I buy all the stuff then guilt will make me go for a run" phase). Those apps have been on my phone since August last year. Not forgetting Map My Walk, Map My Run and Map My Cycle.

Anyway, I'm feeling really positive about this. My two biggest concerns is stamina/endurance which I never had for running, even when I was at my peak of martial arts/swimming/gymnastics. I know I can hopefully build that over time. The second worry is my knees. I've very loose joints and they have popped out of place in the past. I've looked into minimising any damage when jogging so fingers crossed that won't be an issue.

So, thanks again guys. It was only on a whim that I decided to post. I never knew this thread or even this forum existed until I posted. Thanks for your support, it really helped push me to get out there :)

PS Frag, that's fantastic. I am very jealous. I don't think I'll be running 8K in 4 months, but I'll be happy with being able to run 10mins continually.

• Advertisement

Well done for taking the plunge, you will be doing 10 minute runs in no time.

Regarding having someone to run with , i was the same I did it solo and often though it would be nice to run with someone. I found the narrated podcast from the UK's National Health servies useful in this regard, I found them quite motivational when I needed motivating. Here s link to them

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

I also used endomondo on my phone to track my runs, Run keeper, map my run and Nike+ are other apps that do basically the same job.

well done again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

PS Frag, that's fantastic. I am very jealous. I don't think I'll be running 8K in 4 months, but I'll be happy with being able to run 10mins continually.

Hey if you told me in Jan I would be running this distance by now I would have thought you were on something!! But the programme does work. There will be days it will hurt and there will be days you will think you can run forever. Just stick with the programme and il see you at the finish line!!

As for running solo, I much prefer it. I put my earphones in, turn on the b2-10k app, runkeeper, turn on the music and of I go. Next thing I know its 40-50 mins later........

Keep it up!!

Went out for my 2nd time and it was awful. My knees wouldn't work. They didn't seem sore, just uncomfortable. The nearest thing I could describe it is as if they were locking up. I didn't force it. They're not sore at the moment, but if I were to walk fast or jog, they would seem "heavy". It's odd. I did make sure to warm up properly and stretch before I went out.

Going to take it easy and hope it's not going to be a problem.

Just finished week 2. I've been lazy this week and haven't been to bed as early as I should. As such, I struggled with the second run, in particular.

I ran at an average pace of 4:30 min. today for the first 5 intervals. I sprinted the last and managed 3:35 and 0.42 km.

I could feel my glutes were very tight today. I think I'll buy a hockey ball next weekend to roll it out. I used to do it before and it was a great help.

How long do people spend warming up when they get into the latter stages of this?

My problem is that I usually start at half 5. I want to be in work for 7. If I get up late then I'm in a rush and I will do damage if I'm not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

Well done to you all!!

I just finished week 4 of c25k. Dont feel im ready for week 5 yet so gonna repeat week 4. Looked ahead to wk 5 day 3 to see a 20 min jog!!! :o Here am I struggling with 5 mins so defo gonna have to repeat. Really felt that I broke through a rough patch today so hope it continues. Im using treadmill on other days to build up fitness - so much easier to run on treadmill but boring as hell!!

My poor legs are like jelly at the moment so have started to incorporate strengthening exercises too.

Signed up for 10k at end of September so i am really hoping i can jog the whole thing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well done to you all!!

I just finished week 4 of c25k. Dont feel im ready for week 5 yet so gonna repeat week 4. Looked ahead to wk 5 day 3 to see a 20 min jog!!! :o Here am I struggling with 5 mins so defo gonna have to repeat. Really felt that I broke through a rough patch today so hope it continues. Im using treadmill on other days to build up fitness - so much easier to run on treadmill but boring as hell!!

My poor legs are like jelly at the moment so have started to incorporate strengthening exercises too.

Signed up for 10k at end of September so i am really hoping i can jog the whole thing!!!

If you did Week 4 and completed it properly, you're well set up for Week 5. It's all in the head;) Believe me, everyone who sees that 20 mins in Week 5 freaks out but if you start out at a nice gentle pace, you'll do it! No problem repeating Week 4 either if you want to build up your confidence.
    Try and run outside as much as possible as the treadmill is just soul-destroying.
    Best of luck and keep posting your progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well done to you all!!

If you keep it up you will cruise through that 10k without a bother. Good job so far. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Well done to you all!!

I'm sure you know that the C25K programme recommends that you rest in between runs. You say your poor legs are like jelly. I think I would stop using the treadmill on the in between days and just stick with the programme. The 20 minutes is always a bit daunting when you come across it but if you follow the plan you will be able to do it. It sounds to me like you are doing too much at the moment. And of course repeat days or weeks if you think you need to but if you can complete the runs on a day I would see no reason not to go on to the next one. Hope you don't mind me saying all this!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

Thanks guys! I did Week 5 day 1 today and flew through it so im confident i can do most of the 20 min one! Might take few gos but ill get there.

Finding the treadmill really boring so only use it now if its raining or if its too late to go out for a run.

@happyday: I dont mind at all. All advice welcome. I only do the 3 runs a week and walk in between. Im in the mindset of having to do something most days.

Im closing to losing the 3rd stone since March so its all good!! And I have a new found love for running that I never thought I would!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Thanks guys! I did Week 5 day 1 today and flew through it so im confident i can do most of the 20 min one! Might take few gos but ill get there.

Finding the treadmill really boring so only use it now if its raining or if its too late to go out for a run.

@happyday: I dont mind at all. All advice welcome. I only do the 3 runs a week and walk in between. Im in the mindset of having to do something most days.

Im closing to losing the 3rd stone since March so its all good!! And I have a new found love for running that I never thought I would!!!

Well done you! That's great. 3 stone is amazing. Keep it up. I'm doing C25K second time around. On week 3 now and doing well. I'd love to loose some weight. Any tips would be welcome.
    :)

Advertisement