Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Finished W2 D2 Last night, felt much better than W2 D1, but paces and distance were down but I'm putting that down to very strong winds last night.

Walked 2.1km @ 8.25min per km
    Ran 2.35km @4.35min per km

I have a new running route as well, which I am much happier with. A solid circuit that's about 1.5km in diameter, that's very close to home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jasus lads yous are all running much faster than me. I did about 3.3km in 25 mins the other night :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Jasus lads yous are all running much faster than me. I did about 3.3km in 25 mins the other night :o
    Don't be worrying MrStuffins. I was slower than you when I was at your stage. Everyone is different. It'll all come together at the end of the programme when you should spend a few weeks just running the 5k 3 times a week and you'll gradually see your times coming down. It's all about time on your feet at the moment. You have plenty of time later to concentrate on speed. This part of the programme shoudln't be about speed at all. You're building your endurance now, the rest will happen automatically. Trust me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Slow and easy does it. You'll get there :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's also worth remembering I'm only on Week 2, the running times are short. The longer I run the slower my times will become. And as the guys say, slow and steady is the key, finishing the program out is the objective, then working on your time should be the next stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

What they said! :D

The only reason I'm so focused on times at the moment is because I've signed up to do the Operation Transformation 5k in less than 2 weeks, and I'd really like to do it in less than 30 minutes.

Finished W2 D3 Tonight, felt good keep pushing through, glad to have week 2 done and dusted :-)

Walked 2.40 @ 8.23min per km
    Ran 2.5km @4.25min per km

Covering 4.9km in 30mins. Happy with that and nervously looking forward to week 3.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Week 11 Day 2 done - Run 25, Walk 5, Run 15
    Strong winds and a hail shower battering my face half way through didn't help...but I did it :D

It was Week 11 Day 3 tonight - Run 25, Walk 3, Run 15. Quite windy though not as bad as Tuesday night. I was really buzzing after Tuesday nights run...I didn't enjoy the run tonight at all. Glad I did it though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

finished week 3 day 2 tonight, went well not bad considering I had the ManFlu

Week 9, Day 1 this morning.

Covered (drumroll, please...) 5.07k in 30 minutes! :D

• Advertisement

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

vitani wrote: »

:D:D:D

Well done!

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats Vitani. :)

Well done Vitani

That is awesome. well done Vitani!

Finished Week 4 Day 1 last night, found it very tough but I managed to do it.

For a change of scenery, went down to the Phoenix Park on Monday evening for W9D2. Pushed myself again and covered 5.33k in the 30 minutes. I had my first real runner's high afterwards - this is a pretty intoxicating sport!

Did my final run tonight. Had been tempted to put it off until tomorrow - I'm coming down with a cold and that weather is miserable, but I (wo)manned up and went out. Deliberately took it easy so was chuffed to cover 3.1 miles in the 30 minutes. Although that's only 4.98k according to my app - *shakes fist*

So, that's C25k done! I'm starting Hal Higdon's 10k programme next week, which will bring me up to the Great Ireland Run. In between then and now, I have the Operation Transformation 5k next Saturday and the Dunboyne 4m at the end of March. Not too shabby for somebody who found 3 minutes running tough going at the start of the year! Thanks for all of the support, everybody, and good luck with the rest of the program! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. May even get round to starting my own log. :)

For a change of scenery, went down to the Phoenix Park on Monday evening for W9D2. Pushed myself again and covered 5.33k in the 30 minutes. I had my first real runner's high afterwards - this is a pretty intoxicating sport!

Did my final run tonight. Had been tempted to put it off until tomorrow - I'm coming down with a cold and that weather is miserable, but I (wo)manned up and went out. Deliberately took it easy so was chuffed to cover 3.1 miles in the 30 minutes. Although that's only 4.98k according to my app - *shakes fist*

So, that's C25k done! I'm starting Hal Higdon's 10k programme next week, which will bring me up to the Great Ireland Run. In between then and now, I have the Operation Transformation 5k next Saturday and the Dunboyne 4m at the end of March. Not too shabby for somebody who found 3 minutes running tough going at the start of the year! Thanks for all of the support, everybody, and good luck with the rest of the program! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. May even get round to starting my own log. :)

Sounds like you have caught the bug :D Good for you! Best of luck with the race and it's fantastic to have a specific programme to follow from here with a view to your next goal. No stopping you now :)

Well done Vitani, great idea to do another programme, and target some races. It'll keep you motivated and keep you running!

• Advertisement

Completed Week 12 Day 1 on Wednesday night - Run 30, Walk 5, Run 15. I'll be out later to do Day 2 - Run 30, Walk 3, Run 15. I've also decided to join a group who are training to do the same marathon I'm doing on Sunday morning. They're planning on running around about 12 miles...:eek: I don't think I'm capable of that yet but I'll see how I get on.

I'll be out later to do Day 2 - Run 30, Walk 3, Run 15.

Done. Found it fairly easy going. The first lap was harder than the second. Roll on the 12-miler tomorrow :eek:

Well, I ran for just over twelve miles today with no walking! Did it in just under two hours :D I found the pace that the other guys were running at was a lot slower than I've been running whilst following the app. I'm all pleased with myself. I'll dip in and out of this thread from now on but I've decided not to follow the app anymore as I need to up my miles for the marathon. Good luck everyone :D

Well, I ran for just over twelve miles today with no walking! Did it in just under two hours :D I found the pace that the other guys were running at was a lot slower than I've been running whilst following the app. I'm all pleased with myself. I'll dip in and out of this thread from now on but I've decided not to follow the app anymore as I need to up my miles for the marathon. Good luck everyone :D

Congratulations Penfailed, and I think that's the right decision. Get yourself a marathon-specific programme, and best of luck with it! Hit the main forum with any questions you might have, or check some of the training logs, or the DCM improvers thread - lots of great advice on that, from people at different stages in their training. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Have had to ditch the running for the last week with plantar fascitis - mad to get back, but my foot is just too painful after running, anyone have any advice on this? and how long I should have a break for?

Have had to ditch the running for the last week with plantar fascitis - mad to get back, but my foot is just too painful after running, anyone have any advice on this? and how long I should have a break for?

sorry to hear that. Hope you get over it soon. Don't know anything about it personally, but there was a discussion on it here a while ago...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77144315

Just finished Week 5 Day 1, so thrilled, absolutely nailed it, kept pace ticking over nicely and found it a lot easier than last week. Last week was a mental disaster, I had to really pull it out of the bag especially Week 4 Day 3, I don't know how I didn't pack it in but thankfully I finished it and it seemed to have really helped me with this week.

After running for 12 miles with no walking last Sunday, I've had a rubbish week. I was planning on running five miles on Tuesday and managed two and a half. I was planning on running six and a half on Thursday and managed three and a half... I'm not too confident about my twelve or so miles tomorrow now :(

13.3 miles done! Yes! :D

• Advertisement

Jaysus! Having tried to get back into it, I have now not ran in almost 3 weeks. dodgy ankle & calf threw me out of it, and then I got lazy for the past week.

So, i've now signed up to a 10k which is at the end of April So I have no choice but to get back out there tomorrow and kick it's ass until i'm able to run 10k on time!

Advertisement