Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Hey all, new to this side of boards so excuse my ignorance :)

I started this version ( http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml ) of the C25k today with Workout 1, Week 1. Hoping to improve the fitness and slim down a bit!

Everywhere it says jog, I ran. I saw different plans saying run instead, and I was able for it, so I figured might as well.

My question is: I'll be doing the workouts Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Is there any light kind of training that would be good to do on the inbetween days?

As I said above, complete newb here so go easy on me please! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I am using the Cool Runnings one as well. I finished Week 6 Day 1 last night. Still going well, thankfully.

Gone very quiet on this thread, I skipped to Week 7 Day 2 last night, 2.5 mile run, did it in 11.26 per mile, very happy with that. I want to have the 5k finished by Paddys Day to celebrate, so I'm gonna skip a day from week 7 and 8, to push me right in to Week 9 Day 3 just before Paddys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Starting week 3 tomorrow.

Got insoles to help with my arches that I suspect are a little bit fallen, all is going pretty good. Considering repeating week 2, depending on how tomorrow goes.

Feels really good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Picking up my new runners tomorrow and starting my couch to 5k on Thursday :) I'm nervous, excited, positive and hopeful!! Putting together a new running playlist too :D:D

• Advertisement

Just take your time and go at a gentle pace, don't push it too hard. If it gets too hard just slow down your pace as to an almost quick walk and you'll be fine. I'm now doing the 10k, I could even run 100 yards when I started 2 months ago. Best of Luck!

bullvine wrote: »
    Just take your time and go at a gentle pace, don't push it too hard. If it gets too hard just slow down your pace as to an almost quick walk and you'll be fine. I'm now doing the 10k, I could even run 100 yards when I started 2 months ago. Best of Luck!

Thanks a million :) Will report back tomorrow on the progress!! :)

Week One, Day One completed :) It went better than I expected, I really enjoyed it! Roll on day two :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Week One, Day One completed :) It went better than I expected, I really enjoyed it! Roll on day two :)

Best of luck. Good to hear you're enjoying it. That's the main thing at this point.Whenever it gets tough, remember to slow down but keep going. The rest will follow...
    Keep posting your progress;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tif

Hi everyone. I started the couch to 5 k last week. I'm on week 2 using a treadmill. I'm just wondering if I am doing it right. When they ask me to walk I use the 6km button and walk at this pace. Then when they ask me to run I run using the 10km. Is this pace ok? I'm not sure if it is too slow. I find it hard enough but think my bf is expecting me to run 10km for more than the 90 seconds or maybe a higher speed. He would be used to running more than I would. I'm doing the cto5k to get fit and to lose weight also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Tif wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I started the couch to 5 k last week. I'm on week 2 using a treadmill. I'm just wondering if I am doing it right. When they ask me to walk I use the 6km button and walk at this pace. Then when they ask me to run I run using the 10km. Is this pace ok? I'm not sure if it is too slow. I find it hard enough but think my bf is expecting me to run 10km for more than the 90 seconds or maybe a higher speed. He would be used to running more than I would. I'm doing the cto5k to get fit and to lose weight also.

Your pace sounds fine to me, but it's how it feels to you that's most important. Don't be afraid to slow it down as the weeks go on if you need to - the important thing is to just keep running for the time planned, even if it's at little more than walking pace.

And don't worry about what your boyfriend thinks. He started out as a beginner once as well. Just trust in the plan and you'll get there. I only started running after Christmas - I found running for 3 minutes tough going back then but now I'm regularly running for nearly an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Run at the pace that suits you, not the pace that someone else thinks you should be doing.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tif

Thank you penfailed and vitani. Yeah I'm comfortable going at my own pace but I was afraid that I was going at the wrong pace and wouldn't benefit. Thanks for the advice. I'll stick to what I'm doing so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

I'm doing the Get Running app for the C25K. I've done Week 9, Run 1, with two more to go. I only use the app if I'm running on my own. I do club work one night a week, and run with friends at least one other night, so only get to do the app once or twice a week. I can run 5k without stopping, but its a real struggle. Not my legs or breathing, but my head! :eek:

I keep talking myself into walking for a bit - sometimes only 10 or 20 feet, but I find it really hard to keep going.

When I finish the c25k I want to do a 10k one - can anyone recommend one?

AK333 wrote: »
    I'm doing the Get Running app for the C25K. I've done Week 9, Run 1, with two more to go. I only use the app if I'm running on my own. I do club work one night a week, and run with friends at least one other night, so only get to do the app once or twice a week. I can run 5k without stopping, but its a real struggle. Not my legs or breathing, but my head! :eek:

I keep talking myself into walking for a bit - sometimes only 10 or 20 feet, but I find it really hard to keep going.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/138.shtml
    This one is quite good to bring you up to the 10k distance. It includes a bit of speedwork and hillwork which will help you improve and builds up the distance nice and slowly. You could always leave out the speed/hill session on Tuesdays if you do that kind of stuff with your club. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Thank you Ososlo for the link to this thread :)

I've just started this plan, right now the idea of running 5k seems crazy but I really hope its something I can do in time.

I'm running to get healthy and lose weight - I have about 3.5stone to shift. I've just finished my first week and I'm positive about the rest of the plan although I found my last run today as hard as my first one. Is that normal? :confused:

I'm also running quite slow, jogging really. I can really feel all my excess weight when I start running. I'm just trying to get through each session without tiring myself out rather than doing it very fast, hopefully speed will come in time.

I've just started this plan, right now the idea of running 5k seems crazy but I really hope its something I can do in time.

I'm running to get healthy and lose weight - I have about 3.5stone to shift. I've just finished my first week and I'm positive about the rest of the plan although I found my last run today as hard as my first one. Is that normal? :confused:

I'm also running quite slow, jogging really. I can really feel all my excess weight when I start running. I'm just trying to get through each session without tiring myself out rather than doing it very fast, hopefully speed will come in time.

Believe me, it does get easier as your fitness improves. What I would say, as you say you are looking to lose weight as well not just improve your fitness, you will need to look at your diet. I know how hard it is to run (jog in my case) with 2 extra stone, its hard work. If you can look at your diet, keep up the c25k, you'll be flying.

Well done on your first week down, best of luck for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congratulations on making the start. :)

Should run 3 feel as hard as run 1 - absolutely ! Run 1 was done from scratch / totally rested and no excercise done. Run 3 was the 3rd run in a week - you did this off tired legs and before the benefits of the excercise to your fitness level have had a chance to kick in.

Don't worry whatsoever about the pace - concentrate on the time for each run. Indeed don't even think of the program as a couch to 5k - think of it as a couch to 30 min non stop running for the moment. I say this because knocking out 5k in 30 minutes is a difficult goal to achieve starting from scratch and carrying the extra weight. (I speak from bittter experience on this !!!) Progress the time on your feet without worrying about pace. In 8-10 weeks time you could quite easily tag on an extra few minutes to hit 5k or be capable of running at the faster pace required. Stay comfortable now and enjoy the progress you will make.

The crucial thing though and a big +1 to the above post is altering your diet along with the excercise. The weight will not come off just by excercising but with a combination of diet and excercise. The great thing is that the excercise gets a lot easier as the weight comes off and sticking to a diet is a lot easier when you're committed to your fitness / running. Imagine putting on a backpack with a sack of spuds in it now and trying to complete the run you just done. Now imagine the reverse of that - take a sack of spuds off your current body weight and think about how much easier it will be.

Best of luck over the next few weeks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Congratulations on making the start. :)

Should run 3 feel as hard as run 1 - absolutely ! Run 1 was done from scratch / totally rested and no excercise done. Run 3 was the 3rd run in a week - you did this off tired legs and before the benefits of the excercise to your fitness level have had a chance to kick in.

Don't worry whatsoever about the pace - concentrate on the time for each run. Indeed don't even think of the program as a couch to 5k - think of it as a couch to 30 min non stop running for the moment. I say this because knocking out 5k in 30 minutes is a difficult goal to achieve starting from scratch and carrying the extra weight. (I speak from bittter experience on this !!!) Progress the time on your feet without worrying about pace. In 8-10 weeks time you could quite easily tag on an extra few minutes to hit 5k or be capable of running at the faster pace required. Stay comfortable now and enjoy the progress you will make.

The crucial thing though and a big +1 to the above post is altering your diet along with the excercise. The weight will not come off just by excercising but with a combination of diet and excercise. The great thing is that the excercise gets a lot easier as the weight comes off and sticking to a diet is a lot easier when you're committed to your fitness / running. Imagine putting on a backpack with a sack of spuds in it now and trying to complete the run you just done. Now imagine the reverse of that - take a sack of spuds off your current body weight and think about how much easier it will be.

Best of luck over the next few weeks. :)

That is really good advice. I really worked on my diet last week and can feel a big difference in my energy and stamina.

I did my first week 2 run tonight, it was hard but not as hard as I had expected it to be. I feel confident I can do the rest of the week easily enough and then it will be week 3 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

AK333 wrote: »

Just finished this as well - for the second time!!! Did it about two years ago but pushed a bit too hard once I thought I could do it but proved myself wrong again :-( Did my back in (long term problem) again and only just got around to completing the programme again, but at a very gentle pace around 9:35.
    Piled on over 2 stone in the meantime so had to do something about it. I've lost about a stone so far with very little {read: f eck all :o } emphasis on diet so I have to get around to that now.

Regarding 'The Voices' that are telling you to stop and walk - I just keep repeating the mantra as advised by a talented runner friend- "I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I'm finished" and then allow the mind to drift off to something else, perhaps the finish of a race that I'd like to do. Works for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Finished week 1 today, very proud.

Hope I'm not putting the mockers on things but I think I've made a bit of prgress, day 3 seemed much easier than day 1

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Can't believe I'm lying here waiting for my alarm to go off so I can head out! Technically I've finished week 1 but as a friend joined me the other day I'm repeating day 2 & 3 with her again. I think I've been brainwashed by docjewel!!! Roll on 8am......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Can't believe I'm lying here waiting for my alarm to go off so I can head out! Technically I've finished week 1 but as a friend joined me the other day I'm repeating day 2 & 3 with her again. I think I've been brainwashed by docjewel!!! Roll on 8am......

Fantastic stuff to have been bitten by the bug so early. :)

Fantastic stuff to have been bitten by the bug so early. :)

Yes so bitten by the bug that I'm at a marathon expo!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I finished my C25k a month ago. IMO Pace is not really important, running for the specified time is, particularly as the runs get longer. When I finished the 9 weeks I was running 5k in 35 minutes, A month later I can now do it in the 30 minutes which is 10k per hour.

My advice would be , Its not a race , go at whatever pace you are comfortable with the speed will come in time.

That is really good advice. I really worked on my diet last week and can feel a big difference in my energy and stamina.

I did my first week 2 run tonight, it was hard but not as hard as I had expected it to be. I feel confident I can do the rest of the week easily enough and then it will be week 3 :eek:

Well done, It is really good advice particularly the bit about concentrating on time rather than distance.

I finished mine a month ago and have lost 3 stone in weight since xmas with the running and a change in diet so your goal is definitely achievable.

The Muppet wrote: »
    I finished my C25k a month ago. IMO Pace is not really important, running for the specified time is, particularly as the runs get longer. When I finished the 9 weeks I was running 5k in 35 minutes, A month later I can now do it in the 30 minutes which is 10k per hour.

My advice would be , Its not a race , go at whatever pace you are comfortable with the speed will come in time.

+ 1

I found it exactly the same. A speed merchant I'm not (built for comfort not speed :D ) but my speed has increased as well since i finished the C25K and that's just from continued training and increasing my distances slowly but surely. You will be surprised just how quickly a 5k becomes a short training run, not the goal. Keep going, your fitness increases and it does get easier. Best of luck

Finished week 1 this morning, it wasn't too bad at all. I'm a bit amazed that my legs don't seem to get tired at all though I did have a slight niggle in my glutes at the start. The worst part for me is my breathing but again surprised that the last half of the session is easier.
    Think I might head out again in the morning as docjewel is running the marathon in Cork on Monday so won't get out again until Tuesday morning otherwise and I don't want to lose momentum.

Finished week 1 this morning, it wasn't too bad at all. I'm a bit amazed that my legs don't seem to get tired at all though I did have a slight niggle in my glutes at the start. The worst part for me is my breathing but again surprised that the last half of the session is easier.
    Think I might head out again in the morning as docjewel is running the marathon in Cork on Monday so won't get out again until Tuesday morning otherwise and I don't want to lose momentum.

Well done, new to running myself but from reading around apparently the rest days are just as important as the run days. My two daughters (22 and 21) started it and ran on rest days an both injured their knees, don't know if that's coincidence or not , suppose it depends on your level of fitness starting out.

• Advertisement

rest days:

absolutely. Try not to run 2 days in a row when starting out. You're using muscles you probably haven't exercised in a long while (in my case EVER!) so you need to very slowly build it up. You need time to recover. Plus, if you're wrecked heading out for a run you'll be in bad form and won't enjoy it.
    A good pair of properly fitted running shoes are very important too. Best of luck everyone and well done for starting. I started it a year and a half ago and never looked back. Most important piece of advice I can impart is that if you're finding it tough and you're struggling with your breathing or tired legs, slow down, like you're almost at walking pace but keep going in a running motion. It'll all just come together for you eventually. Promise:)

Advertisement