Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Penfailed

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Doesn't matter though, i'm not letting ANYTHING stop me from getting through each and every run of this program! I just ran through the pain! Feel great now :)

Nice one!

I ran the 35 min run on Monday and as I'd let so much time slip over the Christmas holidays, I thought I'd move onto the next days training last night. It was supposed to be run 20, walk 3, run 20...I made it through the first run and then had to abandon it. I'm having a rest tonight and I'll try and tackle it again tomorrow night.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Just back from Week 4, Day 3. Shins were a bit niggly for the first bit - not painful as such but tender, maybe? Going to ice them this evening and I don't start Week 5 until Sunday so that'll give them a break.

I ended up really enjoying this session. I incorporated a mini kind of tempo workout in the last five minute run, where I'd speed up a bit in the chorus of the song I was listening to and recover during the verses. Although I enjoy most of my runs, this is the first time I've had fun during one.

Bring on Week 5! By this time next week, I'll be able to run for 20 minutes! :)

Penfailed wrote: »
    run 20, walk 3, run 20...I made it through the first run and then had to abandon it. I'm having a rest tonight and I'll try and tackle it again tomorrow night.

I did this last night. Tight going...but I made it!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I did this last night. Tight going...but I made it!

congrats! Great going there! You should be very proud of yourself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭BizzyLizzie

I tried to do week 1 day 1 today but found that I felt I could run for longer than a minute so ended up doing 2 minutes runs with 90 sec/2 min breaks. Should I follow the programme exactly or skip on to a later week...? Thanks :)

• Advertisement

I tried to do week 1 day 1 today but found that I felt I could run for longer than a minute so ended up doing 2 minutes runs with 90 sec/2 min breaks. Should I follow the programme exactly or skip on to a later week...? Thanks :)

Firstly, well done for getting started!
    others more qualified might say otherwise, but I've been through the programme and run 30+ miles a week now (a year later) and would advise you to follow it to the letter. The programme is designed to build up your cardiovascular system and also your muscles, bones and ligaments. You want to avoid injury and the best way to do this is to gradually build up your running at a very slow rate. I'd say stick to the programme as it is. Good luck with it. :D

I felt like that too but I stuck to the programme. I one of those guys that follows instructions to the letter though! I did skip a week later on in the programme by accident...! If you found the first day much too easy, I don't think there would be a problem skipping the first week. It's up to you and whatever you feel comfortable with.

Ososlo wrote: »
    would advise you to follow it to the letter.
    I one of those guys that follows instructions to the letter though!

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭BizzyLizzie

Following to the letter it is then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

+ 1 on folowing it to the letter IF you're coming from a zero excercise point of view. The gradual increasing is not just designed to slowly get you used to it but also to avoid injury from doing too much too soon. Although your lungs may have been good for it you may find that the muscles of the body aren't so ready for a sudden 0-60 for want of a better phrase.

That said if you have been any ways active prior to starting the program it wouldn't be too big a deal to slot in a couple of weeks into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Did Wk 1 Day 2 and Wk 1 Day 3 today as had a few unexpected visitors and that during the week.

Might switch to running before work just to ensure i can stick to my running days.

Today was hard so hard but kept going want to finish this, going to start wk 2 on tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

kilburn wrote: »
    Did Wk 1 Day 2 and Wk 1 Day 3 today as had a few unexpected visitors and that during the week.

Might switch to running before work just to ensure i can stick to my running days.

Today was hard so hard but kept going want to finish this, going to start wk 2 on tuesday morning.

It's hard but it's so worth it. You won't know that you in a few weeks.

I was out doing Week 6 Day 3 today. 22 mins straight! Was tough, but once I found a nice rhythm I was grand. I was running on a "running track" around my local park (it's just a pathway but they've set out some measurements for runners, approx 1Km all the way around).

There's a slight uphil part at one point around the track and I made a little game with myself that i'd sprint up the hill when I came to it. It really made my heart rate raise when I did it but I think it showed that, even though i'd been going for ages, I was still able to find that little energy to give a little "kick" as they say!

It's all 25/28/30 min runs from now on in :(

I'm been running really slow, approx 7.5 mins to 1km, so I won't be doing 5K in the final week of this program (Since the final week is 30 mins, I project i'll be doing approx 4km in 30 mins) but I'll keep going until I reach 5K in the last run!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The app really should be called couch to 30 mins but that doesn't have the same ring to it. :D

I was the exact same when I completed it - to hit 5k in 30 mins requires 6min kilometres which is a bit of a stretch for most people only 8 or 9 weeks into their running. I tagged on another few minutes at the end to hit the 5k mark. After a little bit more time 5k in under 30 min will come.

The app really should be called couch to 30 mins but that doesn't have the same ring to it. :D

I was the exact same when I completed it - to hit 5k in 30 mins requires 6min kilometres which is a bit of a stretch for most people only 8 or 9 weeks into their running. I tagged on another few minutes at the end to hit the 5k mark. After a little bit more time 5k in under 30 min will come.

Yeah there's no way I could keep up 6min KMs for a whole 30 mins right now and I won't be able to in 2 weeks.

However, in week 9 when it's 30 min runs, i'll happily do two 30 min runa dn then for the last one keep going til I reach 5k! :)

+ 1 on folowing it to the letter IF you're coming from a zero excercise point of view. The gradual increasing is not just designed to slowly get you used to it but also to avoid injury from doing too much too soon. Although your lungs may have been good for it you may find that the muscles of the body aren't so ready for a sudden 0-60 for want of a better phrase.

That said if you have been any ways active prior to starting the program it wouldn't be too big a deal to slot in a couple of weeks into it.

Yeah, I think the most important thing with this program is making sure you stick to rest days and don't increase too much too soon. I don't think you have to start on Week 1, if you're able for more initially.

The first time I tried this, I was full of beginner's enthusiasm and didn't take a rest day in one of the first two weeks. I ended up unable to run for about three weeks after damaging my ankle. I'd completely underestimated the effect running had on my body.

This time around, I'm being a lot more careful.

I completed Week 9 Day 2 last night - Run 20, Walk 3, Run 20. Tomorrow is going to be Run 20, Walk 2, Run 20. It's building up slowly but surely. Week 10 Day 1 is Run 10, Walk 1, Run 10, Walk 2, Run 10, Walk 3, Run 10, Walk 4, Run 10!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Im doing the 10K training at the moment. Im on w2d1 and it went well. I have restarted as I stopped over xmas. I got a running machine as I want to run before work and cant do it outside in the mornings. This was the first night on the machine and I found it slighty odd. I tried to keep a a similar pace to when i was running outside. But I covered less distance than outside, burnt only 180 calories according to the machine and covered 2.4km? I have been using mymaprun and normally I would cover around 3.5km? Would this difference be normal or is it just how the machine calculates it.
    thanks and good luck to everyone. Hope we all get fit

Week 5, Day 2 done this morning - I'm actually looking forward to intervals being over because it's the first two-three minutes of each running session that I find tough. Once I settle into it, I feel like I could go on for a while. By the end of each 8 minute segment today, it was like 'oh, ok' when the interval finished, rather than 'thank god!'

I'm averaging about 2 and three quarter miles per session at the moment, so I think I'm on track to finish the 5k within the 30 minutes. Running pace is about 10 minutes per mile.

That's Week 9 Day 3 done! I found it easier than Day 2 even though the walk section was one minute shorter. I also covered more ground than Sunday! :D

I just finished Week 5, Day 3. I wanted to stop so many times during it, but I refused to let myself quit. I guess being stubborn has some benefits. I covered about 1.9 miles during the 20 minutes, so not the full 2 miles yet, but I'll get there.

On top of the world right now. It's amazing how quickly you come on with this program. Whoever designed it is a genius.

The outside of both knees felt quite tight during the cooldown, so it may be time to invest in a foam roller.

• Advertisement

vitani wrote: »
    I just finished Week 5, Day 3. I wanted to stop so many times during it, but I refused to let myself quit. I guess being stubborn has some benefits. I covered about 1.9 miles during the 20 minutes, so not the full 2 miles yet, but I'll get there.

On top of the world right now. It's amazing how quickly you come on with this program. Whoever designed it is a genius.

The outside of both knees felt quite tight during the cooldown, so it may be time to invest in a foam roller.

BOOOOM!!!!

That 20 min run really is the big obstacle in the whole program I think!

I had to do 22 mins last week and it wasn't as daunting because I knew i'd done 20 before.

I got hit with a really bad flu this week so I can't get out at all. Hoping to be able to ge tout on Sunday!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    BOOOOM!!!!

That 20 min run really is the big obstacle in the whole program I think!

I had to do 22 mins last week and it wasn't as daunting because I knew i'd done 20 before.

I got hit with a really bad flu this week so I can't get out at all. Hoping to be able to ge tout on Sunday!

Yeah, it feels like I'm on the home stretch now.

Shame about your flu - hope you can get back out soon.

Week 10 Day 1 is Run 10, Walk 1, Run 10, Walk 2, Run 10, Walk 3, Run 10, Walk 4, Run 10!! :eek:

I did this tonight. My shins are quite tender now though...I hope I haven't done any damage. I'm signed up for a 5K run on Sunday :D

I'm signed up for a 5K run on Sunday :D

I'm a wee bit nervous about this to be honest! :eek:

I'm a wee bit nervous about this to be honest! :eek:

How did it go?

Week 6, Day 1 this morning. Was finding it tough and didn't realise why until I was back home. I'd upped my pace, to the extent that I'd covered 5k (well, 4.99!)

vitani wrote: »
    How did it go?

It was fairly tough to be honest. I think it was partly due to the fact that I've been running in the evenings and this was my first morning run. Made it round in about 26 mins. I'm waiting for the official times to come out. Pleased with my first proper outing :D

It was fairly tough to be honest. I think it was partly due to the fact that I've been running in the evenings and this was my first morning run. Made it round in about 26 mins. I'm waiting for the official times to come out. Pleased with my first proper outing :D

That is a BRILLIANT time for your first 5k! Wow you should be delighted! Stick with it all and you have a bright running future ahead! Well done:D

That is a BRILLIANT time for your first 5k! Wow you should be delighted! Stick with it all and you have a bright running future ahead! Well done:D

Really?! I was a bit disappointed as I'd got it into my head that I'd be able to do it in about 25 mins... There were pace runners there - 20, 22 and 24 mins. I could see the 24 min guy up ahead until about half way mark and then I lost him. It was a good experience. I'll post up my official time when I find out what it is for sure :)

Really?! I was a bit disappointed as I'd got it into my head that I'd be able to do it in about 25 mins... There were pace runners there - 20, 22 and 24 mins. I could see the 24 min guy up ahead until about half way mark and then I lost him. It was a good experience. I'll post up my official time when I find out what it is for sure :)

Seriously, for someone who's just finished the programme, it's a really really good time. Very few people I know managed to get anywhere near 5k in 30 minutes, let alone 26 minutes when they finished the training programme. Fantastic benchmark for your next one! Happy running :)

• Advertisement

Seriously, for someone who's just finished the programme, it's a really really good time. Very few people I know managed to get anywhere near 5k in 30 minutes, let alone 26 minutes when they finished the training programme. Fantastic benchmark for your next one! Happy running :)

Thank you! That's encouraging :D

Advertisement