Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Ososlo wrote: »
    ha ha was just thinking the same thing :D

most of the advice we gave was the same, but the stretching thing is particular to each individual I suppose. I guess one needs to try a few different things to see what works for you.

I think that's very true. It takes a while to get things set up properly.

Re: stretching, did a quick google and I'm a bad person. Bad, bad, bad stretching even after a warm up. But it works for me. I don't know where to turn now. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

scriba wrote: »
    I think that's very true. It takes a while to get things set up properly.

Re: stretching, did a quick google and I'm a bad person. Bad, bad, bad stretching even after a warm up. But it works for me. I don't know where to turn now. :confused:

well if it's not causing you problems I wouldn't worry. Just don't overdo the stretching and do it very gently.
    we'd better get off this thread (not being C25kers!!!) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

W10D2 done! Covered 7 miles :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

scriba wrote: »
    While I'm far from an expert, I see that no-one's chimed in here yet with an answer to your question, so I'll give my two cents. People on here generally recommend getting your gait checked with a reputable running shop, so that you can get the best fit runners for your feet. So you should be doing that anyway. I started running last February, with a five year old pair of runners, and when I replaced them at start of April, I immediately noticed the difference.

With regard to stretching, I'm a big believer in it before and after, particularly my calf muscles. If I don't stretch these, and stretch them well, my muscles know about it the next day. So I'd think about doing a bit of stretching after your warm up jog.

Hopefully that might help you out. If you're in pain starting out, give it a rest day, and try again the next day. It's not meant to hurt (in that way!)

Very best of luck, you're doing great.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    your runners could be causing you problems alright. Are they off-the-shelf or did you get your gait analysed and purchase running shoes from a reputable running store? Also, I wouldn't do any stretching prior to running. Stretching cold muscles is very bad for you. A very fast walk should be enough to get your muscles warm enough at the start and finish off your run with a very fast walk too.
    Aches when you start running would be quite normal, however, pain is not normal. Don't do your running intervals too fast. Keep it at a nice slow jog.

Thanks for the advice there guys, I got the gait analysis done and bought a new pair of runners yesterday.

With new runners and loads of stretching prior to and after my run I felt a lot better, no discomfort while running. Week 3 Day 3 complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 voxangelorum

Thanks to repliers for your supportive advice. I did stick with the program and didn't jump the week, and I see now that I just passed W4D1 of Couch-to-5K that I needed to land exactly there so my breathing could regulate.

Now I am going to enjoy this next leg of the program, but as I am a westerner in Korea, I am thinking about how to prep for the coming Chinese Yellow Dust season. We have flu masks I could buy but I wonder if runners are successful with an anti-pollution mask? Our building has a private outdoor track seven storeys up, and measures exactly 250m around once. I'd prefer not to have to take my interval running onto the treadmill. Do runners generally do well with face/breathing protection or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Week 7, Day 1 on Saturday and Week 7, Day 2 today. I covered 2.6 miles on Saturday in the 25 minute run but found it tough going. This morning, I ran at an easier pace and covered 2.44 miles. I found this morning's run much easier - it feels like I've had some kind of breakthrough. Although I was delighted with the distance I covered on Saturday, I still had some niggling doubts that I would always find it tough to run for any length of time. However, this morning, I enjoyed the run from start to finish and was actually disappointed to get the cooldown cue.

I'm also happy to see that I ran faster this morning than I did for the 25 minute run in Week 6, and still found it easier. It shows that I'm still improving with each run. For some reason, I thought I'd just plateau once the intervals were gone.
    Thanks to repliers for your supportive advice. I did stick with the program and didn't jump the week, and I see now that I just passed W4D1 of Couch-to-5K that I needed to land exactly there so my breathing could regulate.

Now I am going to enjoy this next leg of the program, but as I am a westerner in Korea, I am thinking about how to prep for the coming Chinese Yellow Dust season. We have flu masks I could buy but I wonder if runners are successful with an anti-pollution mask? Our building has a private outdoor track seven storeys up, and measures exactly 250m around once. I'd prefer not to have to take my interval running onto the treadmill. Do runners generally do well with face/breathing protection or not?

Delighted to hear that the program is going well. I honestly have no idea about the breathing protection though - hopefully someone with more experience will see this. Do you see other runners out on the road? Do they use anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

You should put your question on the main Athletics/Running thread as you'll get lots more viewers there who might have good advice for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

God! I STILL haven't been able to get out for a run. It's over 2 weeks now.

So I reckon the best thing to do it just to repeat Week 6. Yes, it sets me back another week, but I wouldn't like to continue on and reach the stage in a couple of weeks where i'm almost killing myself running!

Feels good to know i'm finally getting back out there!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    God! I STILL haven't been able to get out for a run. It's over 2 weeks now.

So I reckon the best thing to do it just to repeat Week 6. Yes, it sets me back another week, but I wouldn't like to continue on and reach the stage in a couple of weeks where i'm almost killing myself running!

Feels good to know i'm finally getting back out there!

I haven't been out since last Thursday and this Thursday will be the next time I actually get out unless plans change this evening. I was going to go out last night but it was so windy that I couldn't stand so I didn't think it would be safe. My next outing is Week 10 Day 3 - run 12, walk 1, r12, w2, r12, w3, r12, w4, r12...:eek:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Finished Week 7 this morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Hey Everybody,

Just seen this thread, started it last week, am now on Week 2. Its going well so far, second run tomorrow of week 2. I have always hated running but it seems OK so far and I am actually looking forward to it tomorrow.

I am using the Cool Runnings App, with the timed runs. I find the app really superb, especially the way you can link songs to play in the background.

Cheers,

vitani wrote: »
    Finished Week 7 this morning :)

Good work. How many weeks are left? I'm on a Couch to 10K app which lasts 14 weeks.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Good work. How many weeks are left? I'm on a Couch to 10K app which lasts 14 weeks.

Thanks. There's two weeks left - 3 x 28 minute runs next week, and 3 x 30 minute runs in Week 9.

Penfailed wrote: »
    My next outing is Week 10 Day 3 - run 12, walk 1, r12, w2, r12, w3, r12, w4, r12...:eek:

Done! Covered 8 miles :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Missed last week due to a pulled hamstring which was giving my lower back some trouble.

Back at it today, on Week 2 Day 1. 90sec Jogs followed by 2mins walk.

Found it really tough today. It was windy as hell out there too. I covered 5km, I walked 1.9km at 8.25min per km, then I ran 3.10km at 4.15min per km.

The walking pace needs to be picked up but I did have to stop twice to tie my shoelace so that didn't help.

Just glad I'm feeling better and the hamstring and lower back feel fine.

Week 11 Day 1 this evening. Run 15, Walk 2, Run 15, Walk 3, Run 15. It was hard going with the strong wind blowing.

I got my gait analysed yesterday and bought new trainers. I also bought some proper running gear - leggings, shorts, socks and long sleeved top. I actually look like a runner now!? :D

Finished week 2 on Sat, not a bother with it, starting week 3 tonight, am a little bit worried by the 400 yard run that its telling me I am gonna have to do.

Will update later.

bullvine wrote: »
    Finished week 2 on Sat, not a bother with it, starting week 3 tonight, am a little bit worried by the 400 yard run that its telling me I am gonna have to do.

Will update later.

Good luck, and try not to worry. If you found Week 2 manageable, you'll be more than ready for Week 3. Just remember to take it slowly if you need to.

~

Week 8, Day 2 for me this morning. I'd started later than planned and needed to get home to get ready for work, so when I got to the end of the 28 minutes, I kept going for just over another 2. Covered 4.7k in the 30 minutes. I'm going to do my best to make that 5k in 30 minutes by the end of the program.

Well done!

Haven't updated in a while.

Last Monday I got back out. Repeated Week 6 Day 1. Then went on to do Week 6 Day 2 later in the week and made the mistake of walking all the way home from work (approx 5 miles) directly before it. My legs were in agony all the way through the run. It was awful.

I had a pretty busy weekend so I never got the chance to head out for Day 3, the dreaded 22 min run AGAIN....... but i'm gonna give it a shot tonight.

Perhaps i'll FINALLY get onto Week 7 this week!

• Advertisement

BOOOOOOOMM!!!!

Went out tonight for Week 6 Day 3 which was 22 mins but thought.... sure if I can do 22 I can do 25 so just went out and did it!

I was very comfortable all along and could've kept going if I wanted. Really looking forward to reaching 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

BOOOOOOOMM!!!!

Went out tonight for Week 6 Day 3 which was 22 mins but thought.... sure if I can do 22 I can do 25 so just went out and did it!

I was very comfortable all along and could've kept going if I wanted. Really looking forward to reaching 5k.

Great stuff(ins), MrStuffins. You're nailing it!

BOOOOOOOMM!!!!

Well done! :D

Finished Week 3 Day 1 last night, even in those conditions it wasn't too bad apart from getting chased by a big friendly black dog.

The first 200 yard run was so easy because of this I thought I had selected the wrong session, when I started the 400 yard I was a little distracted and found it hard but I managed to truck on through and am very happy with it now.

I can't believe I managed to run 400 yards without stopping.

Cheers,

Finished Week 3 Day 1 last night, even in those conditions it wasn't too bad apart from getting chased by a big friendly black dog.

The first 200 yard run was so easy because of this I thought I had selected the wrong session, when I started the 400 yard I was a little distracted and found it hard but I managed to truck on through and am very happy with it now.

I can't believe I managed to run 400 yards without stopping.

Cheers,

Is your app based on distances rather than times?

The first two weeks were based on times, the third week it changed to distances.

The first two weeks were based on times, the third week it changed to distances.

Does it work with GPS? Is that how it knows how far you've travelled?

yea its gps based alright

Week 11 Day 2 done - Run 25, Walk 5, Run 15
    Strong winds and a hail shower battering my face half way through didn't help...but I did it :D

• Advertisement

Finished Week 8 this morning. Pushed myself a little bit and covered 4.66k in the 28 minutes - if I had kept going, I would have covered 5k in 30 minutes exactly. So I'm pleased with that. I'm not starting Week 9 until Saturday, and I always run a little faster after two days of rest, so I'm confident that I'll manage it then.

Advertisement