Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for dealing with plantar fascitis?

Options
  • 17-02-2012 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

This seems to be an ongoing problem for me and while in the past a good deep sports massage, though agonising, would usually sort it out.

Has anyone any tips for the management of it, until i can get into my sports massage therapist? i cant really go until next week..its a monetary thing :)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Keep your foot up. Dont run for about 3 months, even when you think its better. It will heal completely, but only if you give it time. Even when its not sore, if you go back too soon, you'll be back to square one again. Voltarol is great for the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

3 months!!!!

That seems excessive. Did you find that massage helped yours? voltarol eh? think a trip to the chemist is on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

If its just got sore, ice it until you see your therapist. Don't do any mad stretches or anything crazy. Just focus on getting the inflammation done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Voltorol and a ping-pong ball usually work for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

3 months!!!!

That seems excessive. Did you find that massage helped yours? voltarol eh? think a trip to the chemist is on

The massage helped alright, but I kept going back too soon and setting myself back. Did the same with a groin strain. I learned the hard way that even when you think you are better, give yourself some more healing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Golf ball, ice and a couple of weeks rest worked for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

The best thing for it OP, is rest. Stop all your running until you next see your sports therapist. 3 months is not excessive for some people either...you're lucky that a good massage can sort the symptoms for you!

Usually if you think you're over it and are healed...you probably are not. That goes for most injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jsharks

hey danger. suffered with this myself a few years back and tried everything (r so i thought)..ive a friend who works with arsenal fc and whilst over visiting him i was introduced to there 1st team physio..chanced my arm and asked him what could i do?? he suggested everything that id tried , even cortisone injections which i got no joy from..but last thing he said was try a night splint....2/3 weeks later i was sorted..got 1 off a good physio / medical supply website, think it cost about 50e. if i feel sore at all i just throw on the splint for the night and thankfully ive been able to run,jump, kick , bike since with no worries..sorry about the long reply but hope it helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd agree with the stretching advice in there. I had a mild case of it a few years back and I feel like it's constantly on the brink of coming back if I neglect my stretching routine. The hamstring and calf stretches are the critical ones for me (and the Achilles tendon stretch).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I found this book to be great

http://www.amazon.co.uk/5-Minute-Plantar-Fasciitis-Solution/dp/1598585517/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329562319&sr=1-1

Other than that I'd recomend getting a bio-mechanical assesment, you might need some correction. I know money is an issue at the moment so Ice and the techniques in that book are the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I had a touch of plantar fasciitis a couple of weeks back. Everytime I was sitting down I was either rolling it on a golf ball or on a frozen water bottle. 3-4 days and it was gone. I think it's all part of a chronically tight calf/ achilles thing for me and I'm having to keep on top of the stretching... heel drops etc to keep it at bay.

Advertisement