Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Penfailed wrote: »

How'd it go? I should've been out today to run for 30 mins...but had a lazy day with the family instead. Built lego, watched TV, ate rubbish...it's Christmas :D

It actually went really well. The legs didn't are as much as they normally do. Fills me full of confidence for starting week 5.

Gonna give it a go tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Penfailed

That's Week 8 Day 2 done - 30 min run :D I found it hard going and ran very slowly. Week 8 Day 3 is a 35 min run and is also the 5K badge (even though I know I'm already running further than 5K). Have to keep going though. I'm running the 10K app and then the training begins in earnest for the marathon next June :eek:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

That's Week 8 Day 2 done - 30 min run :D I found it hard going and ran very slowly. Week 8 Day 3 is a 35 min run and is also the 5K badge (even though I know I'm already running further than 5K). Have to keep going though. I'm running the 10K app and then the training begins in earnest for the marathon next June :eek:

Incredible. Really incredible.

Tonight i did Week 5 Day 1. Was very surprised!
    I had found the 5 minute runs so tough last week so wasn't looking forward to this week.

However, i actually found that this run tonight was the easiest run of the entire program soi far.

I was so comfortable that I even did the last section uphill.Very
    encouraged and looking forward to Week 5 Day 2 :-)

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Tonight i did Week 5 Day 1. Was very surprised!
    I had found the 5 minute runs so tough last week so wasn't looking forward to this week.

However, i actually found that this run tonight was the easiest run of the entire program soi far.

I was so comfortable that I even did the last section uphill.Very
    encouraged and looking forward to Week 5 Day 2 :-)

Nice one! What are the timings for those? I must admit, I really struggled tonight. I was going to stop and walk a couple of times but slowed down instead. I kept at it and towards the end, I thought I could run further :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Nice one! What are the timings for those? I must admit, I really struggled tonight. I was going to stop and walk a couple of times but slowed down instead. I kept at it and towards the end, I thought I could run further :D

I actually said i was looking forward to it before i saw that Day 2 is 8 min - 5 min - 8 min - 5 min..... and then Day 3 was 20 mins straight.......

20 mins seems impossible right now!

• Advertisement

20 mins seems impossible right now!

I thought so at the time too. It'll surprise you what you can do when you put your mind to it :D

Completed Week 5 Day 2 today in the horrible cold and the pissing rain!!

Felt amazing after it! It was tough (well, the second 8 minute run was, the first one was surprisingly easy) and I definitely felt like i'd been out running when I got back home.

Really sh*tting myself for the 20 min run later this week! Gonna give it a go on New Years Day! A grand way to start off 2013 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Completed Week 5 Day 2 today in the horrible cold and the pissing rain!!

Felt amazing after it! It was tough (well, the second 8 minute run was, the first one was surprisingly easy) and I definitely felt like i'd been out running when I got back home.

Really sh*tting myself for the 20 min run later this week! Gonna give it a go on New Years Day! A grand way to start off 2013 :)

that 20 minute run is a real turning point. You'll surprise yourself with how well you'll do as you've stuck to the programme so well to-date. Best of luck! Can't wait to hear how you get on! It's a great date to do it too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Starting Week 4 of this on Sunday. Looking forward to my next run. So far, I've managed each run easily enough by slowing the hell down whenever I get a bit breathless. I have to keep reminding myself that speed will come in time.

This is my second time to attempt C25k - the last time was about 4 years ago. I made it through to Week 6, and even ran a 5k shortly after, but then found that my motivation disappeared. I did all the classic newbie mistakes that first time round though - ran two days in a row, didn't wear decent runners, ran too fast, didn't rest properly. I was also running to lose weight then, so when I was happy with my weight, I didn't feel the need to run as much. This time, I'm doing it because I want to run.

I've signed up for the Great Ireland Run in April, so that should keep me going for the next three months, and I've promised myself a Garmin Forerunner if I do that. I've also promised myself proper running gear if I finish C25k this time - atm, I'm just wearing old hoodies and trackie bottoms.

So, after partying a bit too hard on NYE and then not sleeping at all the followig night, I finally for around to doing the Week 5 Day 3, the dreaded 20 min non-stop :(

I was completely crapping it all day. Was dreading finishing work because I knew i'd have to go for the run and there was no way I could get away from it. I just knew I wasn't going to be able to do it because I knew how bad 8 mins felt, never mind 20 straight mins.

So I evetually manned up and started the run. Ridiculously slow though, because I didn't wanna get halfway through the run and already be spent.

This continued for a while and I contiued to listen to my playlist in my ears and try to think abou something other than "I wonder how long i've been going".

Before I knew it, the lady from the app had said "You are halfway" and I was shocked. 8 mins was a struggle before but now i'd just done 10 and I was still comfortable.

I kept charging through until eventually the lady told me to slow down and walk........ I was delighted and, again, not even out of breath!

I'm actually amazed at how far i've come and now tha i've done 20 straight minutes I know for a fact that I can do the 5K. I mean, I actuall didn't need to stop last night. I could've kept going if I wanted to.

Chuffed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

So, after partying a bit too hard on NYE and then not sleeping at all the followig night, I finally for around to doing the Week 5 Day 3, the dreaded 20 min non-stop :(

I was completely crapping it all day. Was dreading finishing work because I knew i'd have to go for the run and there was no way I could get away from it. I just knew I wasn't going to be able to do it because I knew how bad 8 mins felt, never mind 20 straight mins.

So I evetually manned up and started the run. Ridiculously slow though, because I didn't wanna get halfway through the run and already be spent.

This continued for a while and I contiued to listen to my playlist in my ears and try to think abou something other than "I wonder how long i've been going".

Before I knew it, the lady from the app had said "You are halfway" and I was shocked. 8 mins was a struggle before but now i'd just done 10 and I was still comfortable.

I kept charging through until eventually the lady told me to slow down and walk........ I was delighted and, again, not even out of breath!

I'm actually amazed at how far i've come and now tha i've done 20 straight minutes I know for a fact that I can do the 5K. I mean, I actuall didn't need to stop last night. I could've kept going if I wanted to.

Chuffed :)
    Really delighted for you! Was wondering where you were an how it went! Brilliant running. No stopping you now. Amazing isn't it that you could have run further too? Just shows that so much of it is psychological but you are gaining fitness with every run too. Don't concern yourself at all with how slow you have to go. It's all about time on your feet and working on endurance for the moment. You didn't have to stop and walk so that's amazing. Enjoy the rest of the programme! Well done!

Well i'm absolutely delighted I was able to do the 20 mins, I remember starting out the first time I attempted it back in the summer and 60 seconds was killing me. I mean, after about 30 seconds I couldn't breathe.

Now i' bashing around for 20 mins and not even breathing heavy. It just shows how the program really works. You get that little bit fitter each time and before you know it you're literally 20 times as fit as before :)

I'm in the same boat - I haven't been out since the 28th and I'm bunged with the cold at the moment so I can't see me doing the last day of the 5K app until Sunday.

Chuffed smile.png

Brilliant news! Very well done to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi guys,

I'm going to throw my oar in here for a little while as I'm repeating the couch to 5k program coming back from injury.

I started running last year - around this time actually and went from a completely zero base (struggled to complete run 1 week 1) to the 5k following the program and then went on to complete last years Dublin marathon. I've been off my feet since the marathon in October and am easing back into things following this program again.

The reason I'm posting here more than anything is to show you guys starting off on the journey and echo the posts above that this program truly works. It got me to a marathon in 10 months and it's getting me back and ready for this years DCM too.

Hi guys,

I'm going to throw my oar in here for a little while as I'm repeating the couch to 5k program coming back from injury.

I started running last year - around this time actually and went from a completely zero base (struggled to complete run 1 week 1) to the 5k following the program and then went on to complete last years Dublin marathon. I've been off my feet since the marathon in October and am easing back into things following this program again.

The reason I'm posting here more than anything is to show you guys starting off on the journey and echo the posts above that this program truly works. It got me to a marathon in 10 months and it's getting me back and ready for this years DCM too.

I found your first training log yesterday when looking for people who'd continued running after Couch to 5k. I have to say it was massively inspiring. I'm hoping to take on a half before the end of the year, so I love hearing from people who the program has worked for.

Week 1 put to bed tonight. Quite enjoyed the session too.

Just back from W4D1. I'm enjoying having the longer runs of five minutes - it gives me more time to just relax into the rhythm before I have to start walking again.

I still look like a tomato when I finish each session though. Guess that's one good thing the dark evenings/mornings are good for - hiding my face!

Week 6 Day 1 done right there. It was grand this time. Since the last one was 20 mins this one felt like I was going for a walk in the park.

I much prefer the 3 min walking breaks in the middle. I always felt 5 mins was too long.

I haven't been out since the 27th Dec. Heading out later to do W8D3 - 35min run and the end of the 5K part of the app. After such a long break, I'm a bit apprehensive...

Did it! Yes!! That's the 5K app completed :D I actually ran 3.8 miles tonight. Now to continue on towards the 10K. Does anyone mind if I continue to update this thread with my progress on that? I didn't see a couch to 10K thread... If it's useful, I could post up the run/walk times for the remainder of the weeks too...?

• Advertisement

Did it! Yes!! That's the 5K app completed :D I actually ran 3.8 miles tonight. Now to continue on towards the 10K. Does anyone mind if I continue to update this thread with my progress on that? I didn't see a couch to 10K thread... If it's useful, I could post up the run/walk times for the remainder of the weeks too...?

Amazing man, truely amazing! Fair play to you! Congratulations.

My app has me down for 9 weeks. Do we have different apps?

There are a few out there.

My particular one is a 9 week one called Get Running.

On a personal note - just back in from Week 2 Day 1 which was 6 x 1.5 min runs with 2 min walking between them. Definitely felt easier than first time round so I'm happy that underlying fitness is starting to come back to me.

Fair play! And yes, please do keep us updated. I plan on doing a Bridge to 10k once I have C25k done, so I'd love to read progress reports from somebody further on than me.

~

Did W4D2 this morning. The wind was so loud that I couldn't hear properly, and so mistook the halfway cue for the third jogging cue. I ended up running a bit longer than I was supposed to - at least I know the first run of next week is manageable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Hey all,

Just wondering if there is any similar apps to 'couch to 5K' for phones other than the iphone I have a Nokia N8.

Hey all,

Just wondering if there is any similar apps to 'couch to 5K' for phones other than the iphone I have a Nokia N8.

What's the operating system?

I use "Rundouble" for Android.

There are also podcatss which i'm sure you can get mp3s of to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Just completed Week 1 Day 1 a half hour ago.

I got a stitch after this first minute running and thought i was going to have a heart attack about 12 mins in bout kept going and delighted I finished it, strangely as the time went on the running got easier.

:D

Thank you :D

Probably...my app is called '10K Runner' and is basically a couch to 10K app.
    vitani wrote: »
    Fair play! And yes, please do keep us updated. I plan on doing a Bridge to 10k once I have C25k done, so I'd love to read progress reports from somebody further on than me.

Thanks...and I will do :)
    kilburn wrote: »
    ...strangely as the time went on the running got easier.

I have found that too on occasion. Fair play for getting started - that's the hardest part IMHO :D

kilburn wrote: »
    Just completed Week 1 Day 1 a half hour ago.

I got a stitch after this first minute running and thought i was going to have a heart attack about 12 mins in bout kept going and delighted I finished it, strangely as the time went on the running got easier.

:D

Before you know it you'll be flying!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

What's the operating system?

I use "Rundouble" for Android.

There are also podcatss which i'm sure you can get mp3s of to help you.

No joy with the apps, but found this instead http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

• Advertisement

No joy with the apps, but found this instead http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

Nice, MP3s too so you can listen to them on any MP3 player.

I was supposed to do Week 6 Day 2 yesterday but i'd walked home from work (7.5 km) and my calves were in bits so I left it til today.

But made the mistake of walking home from work AGAIN today. Couldn't let it go any longer though so I went out tonight.

Was grand until my calves started really aching me halfway through the first of the two 10 min runs.

Then they started hurting me at the begining of the second run :(

Doesn't matter though, i'm not letting ANYTHING stop me from getting through each and every run of this program! I just ran through the pain! Feel great now :)

Advertisement