Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Got a really bad cramp in my sleep on Friday night after a ridiculous amount of drunken dancing! F*cked me up for my run on Sat but I had to go to it tonight.

Week 3 Day 3. It was tough as hell! By far the toughest of all the runs so far! Was out of breath, overheated, got a horrible stitch halfway through..........Makes me feel that Week 4 Day 1, which i'll have to do on Tuesday, will be beyond my capabilities.

But I guess i'll find out on Tuesday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Got a really bad cramp in my sleep on Friday night after a ridiculous amount of drunken dancing! F*cked me up for my run on Sat but I had to go to it tonight.

Week 3 Day 3. It was tough as hell! By far the toughest of all the runs so far! Was out of breath, overheated, got a horrible stitch halfway through..........Makes me feel that Week 4 Day 1, which i'll have to do on Tuesday, will be beyond my capabilities.

But I guess i'll find out on Tuesday ;)

I should have been out to do Week 5 Day 1 yesterday but had too much other stuff to do as we were having a house party last night. I suffered too much today to do it! :( Ah well, tomorrow's another day :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »

I should have been out to do Week 5 Day 1 yesterday but had too much other stuff to do as we were having a house party last night. I suffered too much today to do it! :( Ah well, tomorrow's another day :)

As long as you don't leave it too long I don't think it should be an issue.

I'm just a day off now but because its 3 runs in 7 days I'll be right back on track and be able to get back to Monday starts rather than Tuesday which I'll be doing this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 happydays1

Just back from a weeks holiday, was suffering before it with my achilles/calves...still a bit niggley but I'm gonna try and do week 2/day 1 tomorrow at a slow pace and see how I fare out...:))

Just completed Week 5 Day 1 - 5 min run, 3 walk, 6 min run, 3 walk, 5 min run! All pleased with myself! :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Just completed Week 5 Day 1 - 5 min run, 3 walk, 6 min run, 3 walk, 5 min run! All pleased with myself! :D

Well done :)

Was it tough?

Well done :)

Was it tough?

Surprisingly not...especially since I hadn't been out since last Wednesday night. Not looking forward to this Wednesday though - 5 min run, 3 walk, 8 min run, 5 walk, 5 min run! That 8 min run is going to be a killer I reckon!

Surprisingly not...especially since I hadn't been out since last Wednesday night. Not looking forward to this Wednesday though - 5 min run, 3 walk, 8 min run, 5 walk, 5 min run! That 8 min run is going to be a killer I reckon!

You'd never know. You might be surprised. You'll be just geting into your stride and bang, 8 mins are up :D

You'd never know. You might be surprised. You'll be just geting into your stride and bang, 8 mins are up :D

You make it sound so easy! :D I hope you're right.

Disaster for me, i've injured my arm pretty badly and now I can't run without it being in excruciating pain :(

What are peoples' experiences in taking time off? Would taking a week or so off set me back much?

• Advertisement

Disaster for me, i've injured my arm pretty badly and now I can't run without it being in excruciating pain :(

What are peoples' experiences in taking time off? Would taking a week or so off set me back much?

Bad news. Sorry, I've no experience of taking any longer than five days off. I found that OK though. I'd imagine you should be fine but I'm can't say for sure. Get well soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

sorry to hear about your arm. I think you'll be fine picking up where you left off after the week of rest. Maybe get out walking for the week you are off if that doesn't hurt the arm. A week is very little so try picking up where you left off, and if you find that difficult, maybe repeat the week you've just finished. Best of luck! Minor setback. You're doing so well:pac:

Not looking forward to this Wednesday though - 5 min run, 3 walk, 8 min run, 5 walk, 5 min run! That 8 min run is going to be a killer I reckon!

Done! It wasn't so bad. I reckon I'll do Day 3 tomorrow night to try to get back on track after missing a couple of days at the weekend. It should be OK to do two nights in a row...shouldn't it?

It should be OK to do two nights in a row...shouldn't it?

That may have been a mistake. My right shin is very sore after running tonight. Would this be the 'shin splints' thing I've heard people talk about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 happydays1

Join the club, I havn't been able to do anything for 2 weeks now with my achilles...went out for an easy jog on Tue just gone but had to stop in a matter of minutes!! Its being really really slow to come right!!:(...
    all a part of getting goin at the running I guess, bit of physio and gait analysis plus proper pair of runners ova the wkend I'm hoping will sort me out and have me back at it next week!!!!

My usual running nights are Saturday, Monday and Wednesday. I missed Saturday, so I went out last night instead and ran Week 6, Day 1 (run 10, walk 5, run 10). Tonight was meant to be run 10, walk 3, run 10...but I messed up and clicked on the wrong day on the app. I ended up doing Week 7, Day 1 (run for 20!). I managed it :D

My usual running nights are Saturday, Monday and Wednesday. I missed Saturday, so I went out last night instead and ran Week 6, Day 1 (run 10, walk 5, run 10). Tonight was meant to be run 10, walk 3, run 10...but I messed up and clicked on the wrong day on the app. I ended up doing Week 7, Day 1 (run for 20!). I managed it :D

Wow!! That's incredible!! Well done!

Wow!! That's incredible!! Well done!

Cheers! There is absolutely no way I would've been able to do that five weeks ago. I'm well pleased. I'm just going to continue with Week 7 Day 2 on Wednesday rather than go back to Week 6 Day 2 or 3 :)

Cheers! There is absolutely no way I would've been able to do that five weeks ago. I'm well pleased. I'm just going to continue with Week 7 Day 2 on Wednesday rather than go back to Week 6 Day 2 or 3 :)

Makes me feel even worse now that i'm falling behind.

But my arm has made a really good recovery!

I'm torn between starting week 4 or repeating week 3. Tomorrow will be my first run for 9 days.

Makes me feel even worse now that i'm falling behind.

But my arm has made a really good recovery!

I'm torn between starting week 4 or repeating week 3. Tomorrow will be my first run for 9 days.

sorry for butting in :o but why don't you attempt day one of week 4 and see how you get on? If it doesn't work out then revert to repeating week 3. You never know, but the rest might have actually done your legs the world of good. You'll be raring to go but hold back and keep a nice slow steady pace. Delighted to hear your arm is better!

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    sorry for butting in :o but why don't you attempt day one of week 4 and see how you get on? If it doesn't work out then revert to repeating week 3. You never know, but the rest might have actually done your legs the world of good. You'll be raring to go but hold back and keep a nice slow steady pace. Delighted to hear your arm is better!

Yeah, sounds like a plan! I'll do that!

I'm not gonna lie though, i'm sh*tting starting week 4. 5 mins running? Sounds daunting!

Yeah, sounds like a plan! I'll do that!

I'm not gonna lie though, i'm sh*tting starting week 4. 5 mins running? Sounds daunting!

I completely understand your fear! I remember it so well. If you find the going tough, just keep reminding yourself to slow down. Even if it's just above walking pace, it's better to continue running motion than stopping and walking for the running bits. Go for it. You know you can do it ;)

Went out this evening and thought i'd give Week 4 Day 1 a go.

It was tough enough but I got through it. Sore legs but not breathless in the least! Easy game :)

It was tough enough but I got through it. Sore legs but not breathless in the least! Easy game :)

See, knew you could do it! Delighted to hear that. On and up:D

Nice one. I'm heading out to do Week 7, Day 2 now :)

25 mins run tonight! Loved it :D

Up to 28 now :D I clocked it in the car afterwards. I've actually run more than 5K already :D

Up to 28 now :D I clocked it in the car afterwards. I've actually run more than 5K already :D

Man, that's incredible! Congratulations! You should be so proud of yourself.

I'm finally finishing Week 4 tonight. Wanted to leave Week 4 Day 3 til Xmas Eve so I could relax on Xmas Day & Stephens Day.

I know how tough 5 mins is, its incredible that you did 28 mins!

Man, that's incredible! Congratulations! You should be so proud of yourself.

I'm finally finishing Week 4 tonight. Wanted to leave Week 4 Day 3 til Xmas Eve so I could relax on Xmas Day & Stephens Day.

I know how tough 5 mins is, its incredible that you did 28 mins!

Thank you very much! Cheers for the encouragement :)

• Advertisement

Wanted to leave Week 4 Day 3 til Xmas Eve so I could relax on Xmas Day & Stephens Day.

How'd it go? I should've been out today to run for 30 mins...but had a lazy day with the family instead. Built lego, watched TV, ate rubbish...it's Christmas :D

Advertisement