Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Howdy all.
    Apologies for the lack of posts over the past fortnight.
    Firstly after I started Week 4 and finished my first 5 min run, which I ploughed away through, I came down with a viral infection, which really knocked me back, so I stayed off the road for about 10 days.
    When I came back last week, I went straight back onto the week 4. Probably a mistake as I should have done a few short runs to get my body used to it.
    As a result I did some damage to my right knee and as a result have done only 2 runs since. I'm giving myself more rest time between runs, but it's not helping my fitness levels.
    I think I'm going to spend some time doing some shorter runs to get my body/knee used to it again, and build up some stamina. I have been teaching my son to cycle, and have been getting some good runs in beside him as he learns/is assisted.
    Is this a good route? Knee improving but I'd like to push it up length and time wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dancingshoes

How are you getting on Shergar? how is the Knee. well done, I found getting over week 4 so difficult I didn't think I woulod get through week five, but now I am on week six, and will be running 22 minutes tomorrow, with no walking, and I ACTUALLY CAN'T WAIT. Never thought I would say that.

when I think of how I was floored after week one day one, i'm glad I trusted the programme.

so good luck Shergar, hope you are continuing one take it at your own pace remember this is your programme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

i just ran 7 k yesterday 10 weeks after starting c25k. the plan is fantastic for anyone starting out. i was definitely not a runner starting out. one tip i think i should pass on which i just randomly picked up on a website is that you dont have to do a personal best every time you run, which i was trying to do. in fact you should make it your business not to. i copped on to this about 2 weeks ago and it really has made all the difference to me doing the longer runs and the the bit of speed is there as i have built up my endurance . im certainly not claiming to be an expert on running but this tip worked for me. good luck to everyone starting out

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Quick newbie questions...

I started running about two months ago to get fit and am addicted already. Started with running for 90 seconds / walk for 60 for about 20 minutes, as per the C25K program. Now I can run for about 12 minutes non stop. I did my first 10k training "run" yesterday which was basically running for 4-5 minutes, walk for 1 minute, rinse and repeat. The 10.55 km took me an hour and 16 minutes including warmup and cooldown.

I'm wondering if this is the right way to go about it though. Should I be trying to lengthen the maximum time I can run without needing to walk, or is it OK to run a lot of shorter intervals and just make those intervals progressively longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dancingshoes

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Quick newbie questions...

I started running about two months ago to get fit and am addicted already. Started with running for 90 seconds / walk for 60 for about 20 minutes, as per the C25K program. Now I can run for about 12 minutes non stop. I did my first 10k training "run" yesterday which was basically running for 4-5 minutes, walk for 1 minute, rinse and repeat. The 10.55 km took me an hour and 16 minutes including warmup and cooldown.

I'm wondering if this is the right way to go about it though. Should I be trying to lengthen the maximum time I can run without needing to walk, or is it OK to run a lot of shorter intervals and just make those intervals progressively longer?

Hi Ciaran, I think whatever suits you and what you are happy doing is fine, all activity is good. if you do want to run continuously then I would recommend the c25k programme, it seamlessly goes from interval training to continual running. I have just finished week 6 I am now running for 22 minutes and I started at a very low fitness level (extremely unfit thought I would pass out after the first session).

for me running a way to get fit and build up my stamina and this programme eased me in to it. yo seem to be doing great already I am only on 5km and wont be hitting the 10k for another 8 weeks.

good luck with it. there are loads of experienced 5/10k runners on this forum so read through previous post.

goodluck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Hi guys, another newbie question: I have come down with a cold, is it advisable to run with a cold?

I realise I shouldn't ask for medical advice, but maybe if people could describe how they handle their running when they have a case of the sniffles, I could make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Hi guys, another newbie question: I have come down with a cold, is it advisable to run with a cold?

I realise I shouldn't ask for medical advice, but maybe if people could describe how they handle their running when they have a case of the sniffles, I could make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance..

The general rule is if its above the neck you will be fine, if its going down to your chest however best wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

youtube! wrote: »
    The general rule is if its above the neck you will be fine, if its going down to your chest however best wait.

But also, if you don't feel healthy then it's not the end of the world to take a day or 2 off. It won't set you back to square one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Cheers lads, didn't feel up to it in the end but may try tonight, many thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Bit of a lurker here, started the program in desperation a month ago, barely able to jog for 90 seconds. This was frightening for me - I could run all day 20 years ago.

I had week 5 day 2 yesterday. I completed it, but by dragging myself along in a shuffling jog. Today thighs are sore, one ankle very sore. Due to run the 20 tomorrow and not looking forward to it, it seems unlikely I can go from 8 at one trot to 20 and am considering leaving it until Sunday and repeating day 2 instead. How have others fared with the step up?

• Advertisement

mitosis wrote: »
    Bit of a lurker here, started the program in desperation a month ago, barely able to jog for 90 seconds. This was frightening for me - I could run all day 20 years ago.

I had week 5 day 2 yesterday. I completed it, but by dragging myself along in a shuffling jog. Today thighs are sore, one ankle very sore. Due to run the 20 tomorrow and not looking forward to it, it seems unlikely I can go from 8 at one trot to 20 and am considering leaving it until Sunday and repeating day 2 instead. How have others fared with the step up?

Take an extra day to rest up and then give it a go anyway. You might surprise yourself. If you can't complete the full 20 then it's not the end of the world. Then for your next run step back to week 5 day 1 and you won't need to try 20 mins again till the end of the week again... But you may be surprised and find you do complete it and you'll be ready for week 6.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

This question might have been asked already but anyway here goes. I currently walk but have never run. Did a 10k today in 1.23 but could have been faster without the crowds slowing me up at the start. Will my current fitness level help me if I do the c25k program or will it still be really hard because I've never been a runner?

It'll definitely stand in your favour.
    I could barely have driven 10k 4 months ago but last week I ran 10k in 1hr9mins.
    My new target is to get under an hour.
    Your current fitness level may mean you'll find the program very easy especially in the early weeks.

tinyk68 wrote: »
    This question might have been asked already but anyway here goes. I currently walk but have never run. Did a 10k today in 1.23 but could have been faster without the crowds slowing me up at the start. Will my current fitness level help me if I do the c25k program or will it still be really hard because I've never been a runner?

it should help you alot. the fact you are moving will have to be an advantage. even if you find week 1 & 2 easy i still wouldnt jump ahead as it will allow your body to get used to the new stress its under and will help to keep you injury free

Take an extra day to rest up and then give it a go anyway. You might surprise yourself. If you can't complete the full 20 then it's not the end of the world. Then for your next run step back to week 5 day 1 and you won't need to try 20 mins again till the end of the week again... But you may be surprised and find you do complete it and you'll be ready for week 6.
    Good luck.

Took your advice, completed the distance - just - week 6 starts for me on the morrow!

help! i seem to be getting slower. i am doing longer runs, now upto 10 k but my 5 k runs are getting slower. i did my first ever 10k in 54min and my second one in 56 min, but i just did a 5k tonight and it took me just under 30 mins my slowest ever. it was lashing rain but i dont think this should be an excuse.as i am training for sprint triathlon and concentrating on run upto christmas i feel really down about latest time. its not just the last run i seem to be getting slowly slower if that makes sense. help please

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ok, embarrassingly this is Couch to 5K take 3!

I've tried twice before. Once I got pains in my knees and stalled until I bought new runners. 2nd time I found it difficult even in Week 1 and kinda gave up.

But this time i'm not giving up! I've gotten my mate to come with me so that I can't just say "Ah, sure I won't run today" without him on my case (and i'll be in that role for him too).

So, I actually gave Week 1 another go last week and I found it so much easier than before. I think the reason is because I've lost so much weight in a shortish amount of time. I was ~ 17 stone first time I did it a few months back. But now i'm approx 13.5 stone and when I did week 1 last week it was so much easier. I never got out of breath once!

So, because my mate was unavailable to join me last week I begin Week 1 tonight again with him. Wish me luck :)

mitosis wrote: »
    Took your advice, completed the distance - just - week 6 starts for me on the morrow!

Hmm, finished the program. Now doing 40 minutes, but nowhere near 5k :(. More like 3.5 - 4k. Old women are walking past me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Well done on your weight loss and your resolve, MrStuffins. You'll nail it this time. Try enjoy it in the process. :)

Went out last night. It went really well.

My mate was going really fast and at first I was instinctively keeping up, but then I realised I should do it at my own pace so I pulled back.

It turns out out I was actually doing it much faster than last week but it was just as easy.

Knee is a bit dodgy today but that should go away by Thursday when I head out again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 happydays1

Wk......Tue...........Thur...............Fri...............Sun
    1........5mins........7mins.............--...............7mins
    2........5 mins.......7mins.............--...............7mins
    3.......10 mins......12 mins........10 mins........14 mins
    4.......10 mins......12 mins........14 mins........14 mins
    5.......12 mins......14 mins........14 mins........14 mins
    6.......12 Mins......12 mins.........12 mins........18 mins
    7.......15 mins......15 mins........15 mins.........20 mins
    8.......15 mins......15 mins........15 mins.........20 mins
    9.......25 mins......15 mins........20 mins.........25 mins
    10.....15 mins......15 mins........15 mins.........5K Race

Hi all, I am just returning from a neck injury that has prevented me from doing any exercise the last 6 months altho if I'm being truthful I wasn't overdoing it before that either:)!! I was just wondering about the above running schedule. A friend gave it to me so I could complete a 5K. He has done a coaching course so I should probably have more trust in him and I'd like to use it seeing as he went to the trouble of writing it up for me but I'd just like to get some views on it.
    1: He reckons if I can run the total mins that I shouldn't bother with the interval breaks, ie. run for 60 secs/rest 60 secs etc...any thoughts on that?

2: Is 4 days a week too much or does it just depend on each individual?I have had trouble with my calf muscles and I don't want to overdo it!

3: I'm a bit concerned about the jump from week 2 to week 3, is it too much to go from 7 mins to 14 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If it were me, I'd stick to the couch 2 5k plan.

The interval breaks make it much, much easier to run the total minutes. Especially because you'll probably be running too fast at the start.

It depends on the individual. If you're used to training/playing 4 times a week from another sport, it's different to starting from the couch.

I'd be more concerned about going from 19 minutes total in week 2 to 46 minutes total in week 3. That's a very big jump, very early in the training

Just back from week 1/day 2 and not feeling too bad despite the miserable weather...

Yeah it was the jump from wk 2 to wk 3 that got me thinking..I'm definitely not used to training 4 nights a week, I used to one time but havn't trained seriously now for 7 or 8 year!! I think I will drop Fridays runs altogether and maybe go for a swim instead. I will also introduce intervals to my runs, maybe this will make the leap from wk 2 to wk 3 a bit easier or do you think I should scrap this shedule altogether and do a more tried and tested one?So many schedules online though, any reccommendations if I do scrap this one??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Was supposed to be heading out for Week 1 Day 2 last night but my knee was a bit tender after Monday so I gave myself the extra day’s rest (Damn you blasted dodgy knee).

But I’m back out tonight for Day 2. Gonna give this a proper go this time around. No excuses!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Went out last night. It went really well.

My mate was going really fast and at first I was instinctively keeping up, but then I realised I should do it at my own pace so I pulled back.

It turns out out I was actually doing it much faster than last week but it was just as easy.

Knee is a bit dodgy today but that should go away by Thursday when I head out again :)

Join the club :D I've just finished it and my final distance excl the warm up is just shy of 3k, going to work on making it to the 5k mark and then hopefully start the bridge to 10k plan

Just finsihed Week 1 Run 2.

It was grand. I'm going very slow though. I switched from the lady in the app telling me how many minutes to the mile i'm running and now she's telling me my speed.

When running, i'm running approx 6.5mph. I think that's a bit slow though is it? I decided to run a bit faster and was running 7.8mph on one split but I didn't wanna push too hard.

Anyway, I completed it and i'm looking forward to completing week 3 and graduating to Week 2 next week (or dreading it, I haven't decided yet) :)

Week 1/day 3 tomorrow...looking forward to it!!

Does anyone know of a download for ipod classic for couch to 5k that tells you when to stop, start etc while listening to your own music?? All the apps I've seen reccommended on here are either only compatible for ipod touch/iphone or you have to listen to a set music list!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I want to start this so just looking for some tips first. Can anyone recommend iPhone app for it? Do you have to go out every night? Any other tips for beginner? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I want to start this so just looking for some tips first. Can anyone recommend iPhone app for it? Do you have to go out every night? Any other tips for beginner? Thanks

Advertisement