Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The worst car you have ever owned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭pcardin

afatbollix wrote: »
    When someone wrote off my car I bought a cheap van.. A Peugeot partner van. I paid too much for it..
    There was
    no radio
    None of the locks worked
    Top speed of 76MPH but I drove every where at 76MPH
    Then the heater broke and it was sooo fecking cold I was wearing two hats and gloves then once I put on the window washer and the water froze!! so had to stop and get out the deicer..

Then I got a new car and was going to scrap it but someone was going to give me €100 for it and went out to drive it to them and the starter motor broke.. So had to give it to him for free.. **** of a car..

Ha ha, I remember this one. It was me who got it. Was made redundant just before christmas and no work out there so was looking for something to fill my long days. :D
    Diesel engine, leaked oil. Nearly no brakes at front wheels. No heating, no locks, back doors smashed. Found the back doors in local scrap yard for €50, did the brakes for another €50, put in some old radio I had, fixed the heater fan, fixed locks and other little thingies. Did a massive cleaning and polishing and suddenly this tired old van looked 10 years younger. Sold 2 weeks after to a guy for €750. Got a new job in the same week and moved back to Dublin a week after. Life went up again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DConway

1998 Rover 200!

No end of trouble from it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Fiat Bravo 98 Tdi, the car van type, cost me multiples of what it cost me to buy it in the first place, even had freaky **** like the windows being smashed in on it happen to me with it, has turned me off anything to do with Fix It Again Tommorrow for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Citroen xsara 1.4 99, spent over a grand and a half on it, had it two years, bought for 650, twas a great car wwhen I had it, obviously as some day I knew i'd sell it. traded it for a Honda civic two weeks before Christmas plus 400 squid me mans way. Happy with the Honda, in good knick, N.C.T next week, so we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

In fairness.... French cars run ****e longer than most cars run. Even stuck in third gear, crawling along at 30mph with a train behind, you can hear it yelling in a silly french accent "Ah steeeell meuve haha!"

Mine.... meh. It's a decade old. **** it.... worked well enough up until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

2001 Mazda MPV 2.0 Diesel......yes, That Mazda RF series Turbo Diesel......biggest piece if ****e, ever. Engine and DMF went walkies a few months after buying it......not long after spending €750 on gearbox cables........made running my 911 look cheap.

Paid over 10k for it......got €500, or something equally stupid....after 6 months......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

My worst car was '89 Fiat Tipo in 1999. Was a student and needed a cheap car as I thought. It looked way better than VW golf II and was well equiped with digital dashboard and other electric toys. Bought as 1.4 16v and was happy for the first week as fuel economy was outstanding and car was driving great. What else can poor student ask for. :D
    Week after the problems started. First wiper on back window stopped working, then electric windows suddenly stopped working as well but as it was winter and -10 outside I didn't cry for them anyway. Then suddenly doors were hard to close and sometimes drivers door opened itself while driving. Then central locks stopped working and soon after I couldn't even lock the car manually. Regulator on drivers seat broke and electric side mirrors stopped working. Reverse and stop lights were constantly at the rear.
    Cd player went on short (I think) and heater fan stopped working at the same time. At my last trip to University (I lived about 100km away) front wipers stopped in upper position and after 15km driving from the start position a fuel reserve light came on. Car has consumed 10litres of petrol that would normaly get me to and back from Uni. Filled the tank up (about 40 litres) but it was empty again after about 40km. That was it. I stopped at the nearest bus stop and left it there forever. Took the bus to Uni. Thought it had a hole in tank but it wasn't a case. Later was told that lambda went and that was the reason.
    However this experience didn't put me off the italian cars. My wife is driving currently Stilo for more than 2 years already and it is very reliable car, so was 166 alfa she had before. I had Lancia Kappa and I still miss it. It was so reliable and well made italian limo.
    All the BMW's I had I could classify as my next worst cars but it's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

I change car every year and my worse car has to be my current car which is a 2011 Skoda Octavia 2.0 (140 bhp) elegance model. I tricked it out with 17" alloys, Leather seats, tinted windows, xenon lights and Bluetooth.

I can't understand why people go on about them. The issues

- Huge overseer
    - Awful brake fade
    - Seats are poor with little support in corners
    - Torque is poor for a 2.0 diesel
    - Suspension is like a boat

But the one positive thing that everyone says - It got a big boot (why that's so important is beyond me)

I had an Alfa 159 ( 150 Bhp ) for 2010 and it was the best car I've ever had.

I'm counting down the days until January until I can finally get rid of the Skoda and pick up a new Alfa 159.

laurpat wrote: »
    I change car every year and my worse car has to be my current car which is a 2011 Skoda Octavia 2.0 (140 bhp) elegance model. I tricked it out with 17" alloys, Leather seats, tinted windows, xenon lights and Bluetooth.

- Huge overseer
    - Awful brake fade

But the one positive thing that everyone says - It got a big boot (why that's so important is beyond me)

I'm counting down the days until January until I can finally get rid of the Skoda and pick up a new Alfa 159.

:eek::confused::eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Worst without a doubt and I'd challenge anyone to beat this...

A Mid-nineties Rover 100 "Kensington". Got it in 1995, my first car and it was new as well....:confused:

A truly woeful car in every way. No wonder the British Car industry went down the tubes. It was basically the re badged Metro. It literally shook when it went over 50MPH. And shook badly. The Suspension was a joke, interior was the cheapest plastics they could possibly have found. And the tyres were so thin they were like saucers and I got about 5 punctures in the car as any microscopic dent in the road would rupture the tyre. Just a shockingly bad car in very single way.

When you compare it to a modern Fiesta say, small cars really have dramatically improved.

It was actually exactly like this. Same colour as well:confused: What the hell was I thinking??

rover_100_series_94746907088170590.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Ferarri In Affordable Trim

FYP ;)

Theyre a brilliant car, I had one, never let me down. Vandals are vandals,theyre everywhere. Don't know what happened there, sounds like a shagged example :rolleyes:

This year, I have a new winner for the most awful car I've ever owned:

corsagreen1.jpg

It was a Corsa 1.2 just to clear things up :)
    • Refused to start one morning for some unknown reason :confused:
    • Miserable cheap flimsy interior that could have been held together by sticky tape
    • Ugly dials that didn't work
    • Half the lights worked, circuit fault
    • Rusted away in odd places (where the pedals were, under the rear bench for examples)
    • Blew the core plugs out one day :mad:
    • It had the weediest, most pathetic excuse of an engine ever. 43 of the deadest horses one can imagine. I had to get it towed up a hill, it couldn't pull itself up

So of all the cars I've owned this one was the worst, by far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pcardin wrote: »
    laurpat wrote: »

- Huge overseer
    - Awful brake fade

:eek::confused::eek::confused:

...you're not the only one....I've reread his post and I still don't see anything wrong.

Oversteer?
    In a fwd?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Renault Laguna II, just shockingly bad... everything that could go wrong with a diesel laguna went wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

1998 renault laguna I 2.0 petrol
    jesus that thing cost me a fortune in bearings and loads of other stuff
    cost 3500 and i'd say i spent nearly that again on stuff..wouldnt touch another one
    upgraded to a volvo s60...the difference was vast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

A 95 Jap import Micra.
    Great car, got me up and down to college every day never gave me an ounce of trouble and only cost €300. It came fully loaded with electric windows, power steering, air conditioning and central locking. It flew through NCT's for sport.

However it was a light green Micra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Renault Clio RX

Head gasket blew.

No horn.

Rubber on sunroof leaked.

Ignition broken.

Door lock broken.

Heating broken.

Electric windows only worked occasionally.

Constantly getting wheel bearing problems.

Piston rings worn so clouds of white smoke would pummel out the exhaust.
    (Actually set off a fire alarm at the neighbouring house)

Engine fumes inside the car when driving.

Both footwells had puddles of water.

She was some car though an absolute beast, I used to love driving it but it was just gone too defective in the end and strangely enough I was at an angel reading a year later and she said to me I would have died had I stayed driving that car.
    scaled.php?server=836&filename=cliop.jpg&res=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭zoom_cool

Worst Car I had was a Alfa Romeo 159 jtdm 150bhp

Track rod ends went replaced
    MAF Went Replaced
    Front Tyre Wear extreme
    Complete Steering Rack Faliure Replace
    DPF issues

Not good got rid now have a Subaru Diesel a different machine altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭howa .223

wasnt a car but a nissan kubistar van gave endless trouble from new
    cost alot off zeros under warranty and was serviced only by nissan never ever buy one tis no wonder there going cheap as chips total scrap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

A 1979 metalic gold ford fiesta (first car) 10+ years olds when I got it, after a while didn't even bother trying to start it with the key,

Used to just come out in the morning, pop the bonnet, remove the large heavy blanket I had placed over the engine the night before, close bonnet, missus used to come out in her work uniform & sit in passenger seat, I open drivers door and then push it down the road to get it started, every god damn morning for months...couldn't really go anywhere in it unless you knew you could park it on a hill, car nearly killed me.

^^^ You weren't a believer in spending a pound or two on maintenance :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

RoverJames wrote: »
    ^^^ You weren't a believer in spending a pound or two on maintenance :p

Didn't have many pounds back then (early 90's). Young & inexperienced at the time and reckon the guy who sold it to me saw me coming from a long ways....much better now as regards the service / maintenance I'm proud to say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭TheLynx

Toyota Corolla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Had a 00 Peugot 206 diesel a few years ago, it was a nigtmare.

Throttle sticking all the time, had to stamp down hard on it a few time to loosen it.

Tyres lasted no length.

Seats were so uncomfortable.

Rear axle gave way.

Eventually crashed it, wasn't too bothered really. Have an Almera now, great little car:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

A 95 Jap import Micra.
    Great car, got me up and down to college every day never gave me an ounce of trouble and only cost €300. It came fully loaded with electric windows, power steering, air conditioning and central locking. It flew through NCT's for sport.

However it was a light green Micra.
    Have you even read the thread title?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

TheLynx wrote: »
    Toyota Corolla

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...you're not the only one....I've reread his post and I still don't see anything wrong.

Oversteer?
    In a fwd?

Ive had oversteer twice in a Yaris where the backend let go coming up to bendy junctions in the wet. Owned from new back in 2000 and it did it near enough when new so its not a maintainance issue. Obviously braking caused a weight transfer to the front and the rear isnt grippy enough. Probably just ****e rear suspension or a balance issue. Depreciation must be a killer changing after a year. What will that cost about 7 grand or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Land Rover Disco broke my wallet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Have you even read the thread title?

Yes, and despite the cars many good points it would still be the worst I've ever owned on account of it being a light green micra similar to this:
    Full?id=9193398

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

galwaytt wrote: »

Oversteer?
    In a fwd?

Lads, My apologies... I mean understeer... The little Skoda has caught me out several time - especially on roundabouts...

Depreciation must be a killer changing after a year. What will that cost about 7 grand or so?
    I budget for slightly less that €7K per year but you're fairly spot on with that figure. I work it out at €550 at month...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭toshy321

Renault Megane 1.9 Diesel, where to start
    Engine replacement, exhaust, airbag sensor, more bushings and bearings than you could name, theres more but I just cant remember off hand was 5 yrs ago and trying to forget the experience of driving a renault.

Advertisement