Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The worst car you have ever owned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

First car I ever owned was a 10 yr old Renault 5, petrol tank leaked if you put more than 5 gallons in, not a biggie but the f&*kin exhaust pipe ran directly down the centreline of the car under the tank! The doors used to burst open if you cornered with a bit of passion, usual electrical problems, the points used to slip which would bugger up the timing, cracked battery lead terminals etc etc, that car was a death trap but first cars are always forgiven! As a side note, we had 3 Puntos in our family at one stage, all bought new, a '98 and two 00's, the '98 and one of the 00's were almost Japanese in their reliability and build quality but the second '00 was the son of satan, it went tru headgaskets like some cars go tru brakelight bulbs. It was replaced in '03 with a Fabia which we still have and will never get rid of!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Some Yugo thing I owned and I hasten to add didnt buy. It was an indescribably bad, steaming pile of steaming cat w@nk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

The worst three cars I have ever driven were Renaults. They were the Renault 21, Renault 19, and a Renault Megane. There were like an experiment that went terribly wrong. The engine in the Reno 21 caught fire and so did the one in the 19. Nothing good to say bout the Megane either only a more modern piece of cr*p from Renault. Pieces of sh*te to the highest degree. They were a nightmare to run. No offence to Renault lovers by the way,This is just my own personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Some Yugo think I owned and I hasten to add didnt buy.

You owned, but did not buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

teednab-el wrote: »
    The worst three cars I have ever driven were Renaults. They were the Renault 21, Renault 19, and a Renault Megane. There were like an experiment that went terribly wrong. The engine in the Reno 21 caught fire and so did the one in the 19. Nothing good to say bout the Megane either only a more modern piece of cr*p from Renault. Pieces of sh*te to the highest degree. They were a nightmare to run. No offence to Renault lovers by the way,This is just my own personal experience.

They were a nightmare, yet you bought three of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Fiat Uno, dirtbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

My Uncle once had a Fiat Ritmo and it was the biggest Sh*T box that was ever put together, I was duly pushed into a hedge at the back of the house were it provided housing for some hens

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

05 Renault grand scenic.

2 X hoist for spare type
    3 X windows regulator
    at least 10 light bulbs
    the complete dash board control board. so now car has incorrect milage recorded.
    now it knows when I turn the wheel.
    check injector shows up if I accelerate to fast.
    the heater only works on 1
    the back windscreen defrost does not work

bought it new to avoid trouble as it her car.

Never never again.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

teednab-el wrote: »
    The worst three cars I have ever driven were Renaults. They were the Renault 21, Renault 19, and a Renault Megane.

The R21 was weird to start with! some had transverse engines and some had the engine mounted longitudinally, Rather than design new engines they practically built two different cars around the engines they had to hand at the time. Nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CabanasBoy wrote: »
    First car I ever owned was a 10 yr old Renault 5, petrol tank leaked if you put more than 5 gallons in,

Would it be wide of the mark to suggest there might have been a hole in the tank not far up off the bottom? :)

My only 2 bad cars were the same car . Rover 620 and an Accord. Both mid 90's an both died rather badly. I did buy them cheap though.

Havnt had any cars that I despised because I only buy cars I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It's gotta be a tie between a BMW 320d and Ssangyong/Daewoo Musso. The Beemer was mine and the Musso belonged to my father.

The 320d gave all kinds of problems. It was a 2003 model in 2007 when I bought it model and I just gave up on it after 115k miles. The turbo failed, the injectors needed to be replaced, the suspension wishbones were made of chocolate. It also had silly electrical problems and just couldn't take the mileage. This car was babied and it still turned out to be a ball of ****e. The mechanic says he makes all his money on BMW diesels and Benzs as people love the image but don't realise how much they cost to maintain.

The Musso - where to begin? Injectors, gear box linkage, the hour wheel drive, premature rust, broken trim and electrics, a worn out ignition, peeling lacquer and paint...total scrap. I hate the BMW more as it was so expensive to buy.

pajo1981 wrote: »
    You owned, but did not buy?

Yep, a gard gave it to me. Even signed the log book over. Oh and I was 15 haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

pajo1981 wrote: »
    They were a nightmare, yet you bought three of them?

No I bought the 21 off my father. I bought a second hand vectra after that but crashed it. I picked up the the Renault 19 after that because I couldnt afford anything else from the garage. The Renault megane was a company car, I drove it for a while but it spent most of its time in the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

When someone wrote off my car I bought a cheap van.. A Peugeot partner van. I paid too much for it..
    There was
    no radio
    None of the locks worked
    Top speed of 76MPH but I drove every where at 76MPH
    Then the heater broke and it was sooo fecking cold I was wearing two hats and gloves then once I put on the window washer and the water froze!! so had to stop and get out the deicer..

Then I got a new car and was going to scrap it but someone was going to give me €100 for it and went out to drive it to them and the starter motor broke.. So had to give it to him for free.. **** of a car..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

ofcork wrote: »
    My worst was easily a 01 laguna 1.8,looked lovely 17" alloys climate control etc but what a nightmare,needed new clocks,alloys straightened,new tyre valves,throttle body,bushes every time youd park on a step,youd have a flat and it ate tyres,oh and 1 other thing,you couldnt lift the wipers fully off the windscreen to change blades because of the bonnet.Who designed that?Have a 04 avensis for 4 years and has never missed a heartbeat.

SNAP down to the 01 lovely looking car very comfortable but a sh1t piece if it could go wrong it would wipers ,indicators breaks , everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

05 Opel Astra sports hatch (3dr) .... biggest piece of ****e .... looked good on the outside but made of egg shells on the inside ........... Used to see loads of them on the road but very rarely see them now ( guessing all them broke like mine) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I've had a Fiat Panda, Ford Fiesta, Renault Clio, Toyota Corolla x 2, MG ZR, Toyota Celica, Mercedes Clk.

The Merc was great, the toyotas were fine as for the rest take your pick as to the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

afatbollix wrote: »
    then once I put on the window washer and the water froze!! so had to stop and get out the deicer..

That pretty much happens any car when its cold

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

CabanasBoy wrote: »
    First car I ever owned was a 10 yr old Renault 5, petrol tank leaked if you put more than 5 gallons in, not a biggie but the f&*kin exhaust pipe ran directly down the centreline of the car under the tank! The doors used to burst open if you cornered with a bit of passion, usual electrical problems, the points used to slip which would bugger up the timing, cracked battery lead terminals etc etc, that car was a death trap but first cars are always forgiven!

The 5 had a lot of 'attitude', a friend of mine had one that was almost a clown car. The driver seat collapsed, the window winders came off in your hands, it lost fifth gear for some mysterious reason, bits and pieces fell off the interior, took ages to start sometimes.. Really cheaply made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I think that a lot of people are looking back to the cheapest, least well maintained cars they ever owned and then saying that they are ****e. In fairness if you pay peanuts for an old Punto for example it'll likely be ****ed after being owned by a person who bought it for SFA on a cheap long term payment plan and then failed to maintain it. I suspect a lot of the cars fit into the category of being trashed by the previous owners then are bought for a song and subsequently give problems. A truly bad car will have been bought new or near new for top dollar and then turns out to be a turd despite being looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

[img=][/img]http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.motor.es/imgcoches/foto-toyota-corolla-segunda-mano-17015_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ooyyo.com/used-cars/toyota-corolla/spain&usg=__R23BgtB9bYQeDttajbkN5blH_Us=&h=299&w=400&sz=29&hl=en&start=70&zoom=1&tbnid=PDPcoFcpRcfzfM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=196&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtoyota%2Bcorolla%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1659%26bih%3D878%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=563&ei=wX8rTcuQIIiAhAfD25nmAQ&oei=u38rTce4EtCwhAfxsp24Dg&esq=3&page=3&ndsp=35&ved=1t:429,r:22,s:70&tx=140&ty=55

That has got to be the worst car I've ever driven. In the interests of honesty, I didn't own one, but I had one for a few weeks while my own car (a Toyota as it happens) needed a new gearbox. To say it was misery is an understatement. Who says you need to go to Lourdes on a pilgramage, when you can drive one of these for a while?

It makes me angry even thinking about those absolute POS cars:mad:!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Shay Vader

My first car was the worst , 1996 FIAT Cinquecento SX.Here's its tale. I thought i was doing the right thing at the time and scrapped the old family Volvo 240 ( big mistake i know) for a brand new car so i could get to college hassle free.Within 18 months the Wiper blades flew off in a rainstorm, the petrol tank broke free from its mount and leaked all over the car, road ,everything and when i went to pick up a girl for a trip to the movies;) the door fell off its hinges when she went to get in, so not good.Then it was hit in the middle of the night outside my house by some tosser who just drove off in which it needed a new door and quarter panel so it was nearly written off there and then though no, that was for later on.After deciding to be rid of it and getting a new car i set off for the garage for new FIAT Punto (again ,i know) and went for trip around Howth to check on a job beforehand.On the way down the hill a Lady drove straight out in front of me(she was looking for an address rather than the road!) at about 40 mph with about 10m to go, life flashed and time slowed though thankfully i walked away.Never had as much drama with a car since. This is my vote for Worst Car ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

1989 Opel Vectra 1.7 Diesel Bought it at 7 years old, most gutless piece of sh*t i ever drove, couldn't pull itself out of a wet paper bag, wrote it off a month after I bought it. :)

My Uncle once had a Fiat Ritmo and it was the biggest Sh*T box that was ever put together, I was duly pushed into a hedge at the back of the house were it provided housing for some hens

Ooh I had a Ritmo too. Speedo used to jump when I honked the horn haha.

coolbeans wrote: »
    I think that a lot of people are looking back to the cheapest, least well maintained cars they ever owned and then saying that they are ****e. In fairness if you pay peanuts for an old Punto for example it'll likely be ****ed after being owned by a person who bought it for SFA on a cheap long term payment plan and then failed to maintain it. I suspect a lot of the cars fit into the category of being trashed by the previous owners then are bought for a song and subsequently give problems. A truly bad car will have been bought new or near new for top dollar and then turns out to be a turd despite being looked after.

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

1989 Opel Vectra 1.7 Diesel Bought it at 7 years old, most gutless piece of sh*t i ever drove, couldn't pull itself out of a wet paper bag, wrote it off a month after I bought it. :)

The ole lad drove taxis for a few years, one of the base cars was a nasp Vectra 1.7 diesel, with 3 people in the back it wasn't rare for one or two of them to have to get out on steep hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This thread reminds me of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Ooh I had a Ritmo too. Speedo used to jump when I honked the horn haha.

Yeah the ritmo had many quirky facets - my uncles also used to knock itself out of gear, especially reverse - it was fair funny to watch - also had the wierdest door handles - round type ones that you'd see on a chest of drawers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

afatbollix wrote: »
    When someone wrote off my car I bought a cheap van.. A Peugeot partner van. I paid too much for it..
    There was
    no radio
    None of the locks worked
    Top speed of 76MPH but I drove every where at 76MPH
    Then the heater broke and it was sooo fecking cold I was wearing two hats and gloves then once I put on the window washer and the water froze!! so had to stop and get out the deicer..

Then I got a new car and was going to scrap it but someone was going to give me €100 for it and went out to drive it to them and the starter motor broke.. So had to give it to him for free.. **** of a car..

Sounds like 3 out of the 5 problems could have been seen on a test drive.

Main problem we have in Ireland is that the majority of people don't look after their cars. Sure you get problems but simple preventative maintenance would solve an awful lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

99 Fiat Scudo 8 seater, horrible.

It rattled, was drafty, doors didnt close, heater didnt reach to the back so the passangers would freeze, used water, changing gears was a game of chance a bit like mixing porridge, glow plugs were like christmas tree lights. Still have it but thankfully not driving it at the min.

Advertisement