Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSU Election thread ***Read post 72 before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

If In Doubt, Knock Her Out!

The quote of the election so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Missed it due to having unexpected work to do. How'd it go? Anyone want to type up a short summary? When's the swimming pool arriving? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭westdub15

whoever was shouting down grace during the hustings should be ashamed of their carry on, anyone know whose cronies they were?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Good day of campaigning. Shower time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Election handbook is out. Looks good, but personally I'm disappointed in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Did anyone manage to take notes / record?

I hope Duddy asked my question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

Daemos wrote: »
    Sorry I missed it now because I have a question for Rob. In your manifesto doing the rounds, you said every First Year got a 'do-everything-card' in September. Eh, we didn't...

The university introduced this card themselves, nothing to do with Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Jakkass wrote: »
    Did anyone manage to take notes / record?

I hope Duddy asked my question :)

I did! Didn't take any recordings myself though

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

westdub15 wrote: »
    i'll be voting for anyone who isn't a labour party hack and is not running for election just to further their prospects for national politics/trade union positions

i wish i could like this a million times

The following have withdrawn their nomination for the respective positions -

Paul Kerton (Presidential Candidate)
    Anne Walsh (Ents Candidate)
    Michael Hughes (St.Pat's Candidate)

• Advertisement

Duddy wrote: »
    The following have withdrawn their nomination for the respective positions -

Paul Kerton (Presidential Candidate)
    Anne Walsh (Ents Candidate)
    Michael Hughes (St.Pat's Candidate)

Yeah was just thinking that Paul Kerton wasn't at the hustings earlier. Bit of a shock about Shmick though!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Brickley, Fionn
    Carolan, Gene
    Crehan, Grace
    Kerton, Paul
    Meenagh, Declan
    Mitchell, Barry
    Munnelly, Robert
    O'Neill, Charlie

Who the fook are the ones in bold?! Haven't seen/heard a single thing from any of them! As for the ones I have heard of, Gene has a very nicely done up manifesto, unfortunately it's filled with meaningless sh*te. Grace's manifesto is outlandish (the swimming pool etc.) but so is Declan's, "i'll provide a café on the south campus". At least Grace says she'll "work with the sports centre" on her swimming pool, Declan has flat out promised a canteen on the south Campus, along with a lot of other waffle too. Rob gets my vote unless one of the other no-shows blows me away tomorrow, his manifesto is far from perfect but at least he has a few attainable goals in it. And he mentioned the parking charges, completely absent from the rest of the manifestos, so it may be a case of "the best of a bad lot", but whatever.

As for the other positions, Fiach spoke to me today and I liked what he had to say, so he'll get my vote. Added to the fact that apart from a biscuit stand in the arts block i've seen nothing of his opposition it's an easy choice.

I have not seen a single manifeso or been approached by any candidate from any of the other positions, I haven't a clue who's even running, seriously.

All in all, it's been a shambles up 'til now, but I shouldn't really expect better in my 3rd year I guess...

Mitchell, Barry

Was anyone in the study room in the Arts block today?
    Loads of lads walking past every 20-30 minutes opening the door and shouting in VOTE MITCHELL! absolute plebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

...provide a café on the south campus". At least Grace says she'll "work with the sports centre" on her swimming pool, Declan has flat out promised a canteen on the south Campus, along with a lot of other waffle too.
    Yes, that was a mistake, I obviously meant to say work with the university to do it, I don't think anyone thought I meant set up a hot dog stand outside the library to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I did! Didn't take any recordings myself though

It was being recorded, there was some girl with a video camera and a fancy mic sticking out of it, dunno how much she got though.

I'm sad I had to leave at three, it was really interesting!

Oh really? guess we might have some footage so...
    Mediasoc were filming candidates yesterday for an election video, anyone know if it's being released today??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Nice shoes Rob

Daemos wrote: »
    Nice shoes Rob
    Intriguing. I want to see these shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Oooooooh what's the route of the walk??? I wanna go see :P

Here's a deadly Mediasoc video on How To Vote:)

• Advertisement

I'd let her stamp my vote any day, wheh wheh wheh :P

tone = lowered.

But only a little.

All y'all prez candidates, I saw a parking map for the first time today (with all the different car parks colour coded based on what permit you need to park there) and it turns out that the last car park you pass on your left before you leave through the main entrance (can't think of a better description) is to become a staff car park, and the car park beside the rugby pitch is to become pay & display.

I was pissed off enough when I though they were charging us for the privilege of doing what we've been doing for free all along, but now I found out we're being charged despite the fact there will be fewer parking spaces available to us!

Do any of you (other than Rob, who addresses it clearly in his manifesto) plan to do anything about this?

declan06 wrote: »
    Yes, that was a mistake, I obviously meant to say work with the university to do it, I don't think anyone thought I meant set up a hot dog stand outside the library to be fair.

Fair enough, the wording in your manifesto doesn't help you out on this point that's all. Didn't necessarily mean to single you out either, it's just that Grace is being ridiculed for her swimming pool idea (understandably) but other candidates are making equally outlandish promises and not being shot down as viciously.

I'm still amazed at the fact that if it wasn't for this thread i'd only be aware that Grace, Rob, Declan and Gene are running, are the others even campaigning?

Ugh, one more thing, I've had a few lectures in JH3 this week and the state of the place is shocking, covered in manifestos that have been discarded or ripped up, it look horrible. Some guy campaigning for Welfare (can't remember his name) dumped 4 lealets on my table in the common room today despite the fact there were only 2 of us at the table, and there were already leaflets belonging to him on the table! Madness.

At the Lit and Deb debate, oh teh further excitementz0rs

tone = lowered.

But only a little.

If one cannot laugh a little and all that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I agree with Duddy...ferocious excitement/tension!

Ruaidhri Boland, running for Finance

You were talking to our Maths class today?
    It seems you have a bigger thing about Ents than Finance. Maybe you should have ran for that? I'm not knocking you or anything but it seems all the points you got across (save two) were complaining about the previous Ents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Abdul Abhaile

You were talking to our Maths class today?
    It seems you have a bigger thing about Ents than Finance. Maybe you should have ran for that? I'm not knocking you or anything but it seems all the points you got across (save two) were complaining about the previous Ents.

I know my manifesto sounds quite Ents based but that's because it's a significant destination of the Unions money. The financial aspects of this is outside the remit of the Ents officer, especially after the introduction of the new constitution. My main area of interest isn't the Ents itself, but the way it's funded and more ways to spend the Unions money more efficiently to keep more money in the pocket of the student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Raging I missed the Lit 'n' Deb debate today! Grrrr!

Advertisement