Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSU Election thread ***Read post 72 before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Just saw a picture of one of the current MSU VP's campaigning with an SU President candidate, in a tshirt for that SU candidate. Surely that's not allowed? Fcking appalling interference in the election tbh.

It's a jokeshop out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Ataxia

18873210210611653749510.jpg

I sincerely doubt that's constitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

She has stepped down for the week as far as I know, along with a number of the exec who are running for positions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

ash xxx wrote: »
    She has stepped down for the week as far as I know, along with a number of the exec who are running for positions

She has stepped down, this is allowed, she isn't breaking any rules.

I like how our Student Union elections seem to take place in a couple of pubs. Don't suppose anyone has been at the train station in the morning talking to commuters?
    She has stepped down for the week as far as I know

So she won't be doing her job for a week so she can campaign for someone else? Pathetic.

Some members of the Union take a hammering for Labour affiliations, but they would never 'take a week off' to campaign for another Labour member. The elected SU should stay out of the elections.

She knows damn well the effect an endorsement from a member of the sitting Exec would have on a campaign. God forbid we'd a serious and fair election.

• Advertisement

declan06 wrote: »
    She has stepped down, this is allowed, she isn't breaking any rules.

Anyone with a crisis pregnancy better wait a week then.:rolleyes:

But seriously, how does one step down for a week without resigning? Is there seriously a mechanism for that in our constitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

Haha, well if they want to go speak to Aengus, they can. He's pretty much acting most of the SU exec positions during the elections

Anyone with a crisis pregnancy better wait a week then.

Yeah, imagine...
    This is an automatic respose.

I'm off campaigning for my mate this week, ring back next Monday? Must be someone in the Yellow Pages you can ring.

kthanx bye.

If people lose a loved one, I understand them taking time off from the SU. An elected representative taking time off to campaign for someone else (to take up a full time paid job) reeks to me.

Also, getting bar staff to wear 'vote for ________' tshirts is out of order. You wouldn't get away with that anywhere else. It shows people don't even take these elections seriously. If your election battlefield is The Roost, there are serious questions for me.

Waiting for someone to actually offer me a fiver for a vote
    Fianna Fail would cringe at some of this sh/te.

At least Jackie Healy Rae gets you some of the stuff he promises rather than just handing you a pack of Haribo. Grace is promising a swimming pool on North Campus.

• Advertisement

Members of the executive were told that they had to step back from their position for the duration of the elections if they ran or were helping someone else. Emails are being forwarded and other officers are taking care of duties.

Members of the executive were told that they had to step back from their position for the duration of the elections if they ran or were helping someone else. Emails are being forwarded and other officers are taking care of duties.

Can you post up the section of the constitution that allows for Exec members to go "I'm not an elected representative this week"?

Obviously, people have to be allowed to campaign for their own re-election, but that's a bit different to "here vote for my friend".

wim0xg.jpg

j76e4l.jpg

Can you post up the section of the constitution that allows for Exec members to go "I'm not an elected representative this week"?

+1

An elected member of the SU campaigning for somebody else who is seeking a full-time and paid position within the SU is too much for me. I can't remember anyone from the SU so blatantly canvassing for anyone else in the past. It's out of order, and only props up the idea (right or wrong) that the SU is a small clique. Every candidate running deserves the same space/platform and the SU should keep itself out of the elections.

Ataxia wrote: »

Obviously, people have to be allowed to campaign for their own re-election, but that's a bit different to "here vote for my friend".

My understanding is this came from the guardianship. As an employee people have the right to take time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Points made, leave it be.

My understanding is this came from the guardianship. As an employee people have the right to take time off.

Like I said, if a family member dies that's one thing but taking time off to canvas for someone else to take a full-time and paid job? It's completely out of order. I hope no Maynooth student needs their Welfare officer this week.

How is it not worthy of discussion? It's incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

There is another point. There is an attempt underway to elect people to the SU who will push through the swimming pool idea. Building the pool would cost every student 150 extra on their reg fee (that figure is as far as I remember), has Grace mentioned that yet? Someone ask her at hustings.

No.

I'm all in favour of employee's rights, but we're talking about an elected official, not someone giving out burgers in McDonalds.

• Advertisement

I'm all in favour of employee's rights, but we're talking about an elected official, not someone giving out burgers in McDonalds.

The only point I'm making is that she didn't break any of the existing rules, I'm not going to comment on whether she should have done it or not

PrivateEye wrote: »
    How is it not worthy of discussion? It's incredible.

Because it's happened and you've made your point. In fact, you've even illustrated it.

No point in going on and on about it. Please don't argue with this.

If you have a problem with it, take it to the SU.
    No.

Have it your way, see you next week.

190121_1581853113958_1464621635_31172827_2480652_n.jpg

At no point was Aidan rude in the slightest, he was merely highlighting the fact a PAID member of our exec has taken a week off from arguably the toughest job there is in there (dealing with students who need a welfare officer) so she can hand out leaflets for an SU candidate.

Is this not a discussion forum?

It shows a complete lack of respect for the union. Coupled with getting barstaff to wear your tshirts, as others have done, it's depressing.

You're not discussing, you're restating arguements and it's just tiring and boring.

I never said he was rude. He disagreed with a warning. Just like you did.

See you next week too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭synd

hey funky penguin

35jed6e.jpg

wonder who you are in real life ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

The elections can seriously just fcuk off. The difference having a large amount of work and not being seriously depressed can make to the enjoyment of student politics.

/cranky because of aforementioned workload

Sigh.

Synd, banned for a week.

I shouldn't have to say this, but I've never even met Liz, and I ain't friends with her on facebook.

I feel I should also clarify why Ataxia and PrivateEye were banned.

It wasn't because of their opinions. It's because they argued with a Moderators decision.

That Picture is half right: Boards ain't a democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

It's sad that you feel the need to be undemocratic though.

I've updated my website www.DeclanMeenagh.com
    What do you think? It's still a beta version
    Also has anyone got questions for me on the manifesto, would be happy to take them here or on facebook.com/DeclanMaynooth

• Advertisement

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    It's sad that you feel the need to be undemocratic though.

:(

Declan, thanks for trying to get this back on track, I really appreciate it.

I don't mod this forum for fun, I really don't. Anyone who thinks trying to keep this forum civil is fun.....has problems. I need my sanity.

The place to complain about things of this nature is the RO, or the SU itself.

For the most part, it's been a pleasure.

Advertisement