Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSU Election thread ***Read post 72 before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

*wanders into forum for an update*
    *sees thread has been hijacked*
    *shrugs and promptly leaves again* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shmici

Merged with St.Pat's Rep thread.

All election based shenanigans in this thread please.

there was a st.pat's rep tread?
    woops!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Where's the actual voting going on for this on Wednesday? The SU? Arts block?

Where's the actual voting going on for this on Wednesday? The SU? Arts block?

Arts block on Wednesday, 9-6, just bring your student card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

A quick question - are people running for exec positions allowed have university members of staff campaign for them? I'm not talking about Liz (or even about myself), I'm talking about people who have never been students in Maynooth but work here.

CnaG wrote: »
    A quick question - are people running for exec positions allowed have university members of staff campaign for them? I'm not talking about Liz (or even about myself), I'm talking about people who have never been students in Maynooth but work here.

Issue hasn't come up before, as far as I know there's no rule against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

CnaG wrote: »

Ah do you mean lecturers etc? I imagine that would be frowned upon, they could potentially have a lot of influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cathaldonnelly

Who would have thunk that Bewleys and OBrien's staff had a vote :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I don't think it's against the rules, but I imagine if anyone did it it would become against the rules the following year!

With the exception of course of full-time students who have a part-time job within the university. But the likes of lecturers etc is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭the_observer

Everybody stop doing or saying anything for a little while. I want to go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

declan06 wrote: »
    Issue hasn't come up before, as far as I know there's no rule against it.
    There should be.

<snip> until such time as I have more evidence.

Is Grace Crehan on Boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Yes, she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Abdul Abhaile

Student Observer take on my hustings along with Ents and VP Comms is up on http://studentobserverireland.wordpress.com/ go to around 6m 30s for mine. Worth a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Ruaidhrí just wondering if you wouldn't mind looking at my previous post.

Jakkass wrote: »
    Just wondering Ruaidhrí. I saw some posters from your previous campaign from First Year Rep. You clearly said that you personally would campaign in order to keep the registration fee capped to €1,500. What have you done in a personal capacity (I.E not including SU protests or initiatives arranged by others) to do this? Secondly, do you now think that this was an unrealistic promise to make?

You've mentioned very clearly that you are a member of Labour. In which way will this impact your campaign?

Sincerest apologies Jakkass, I had completely missed this post.

In response to your first point, it was me who moved to send a delegation from MSU (which I led) to protest outside the gates of Leinster House on budget day. Although I did not come up with the idea, I was very active in the organization of the Maynooth end of the National Student March. In a personal capacity I have contacted many politicians (government and opposition) to request that they endeavor to implement genuinely free education. I have made my position clear on this matter with members of my own party and this was one of the fundamental reasons behind me voting not to enter coalition with Fine Gael today. The Labour Party has a policy of reversing the increase to the reg fee and gradually re-instating free education. As the programme for government is rather vague on this matter I felt unable to support it. Should I be fortunate enough to be elected then I feel that my party membership will continue to have zero influence on the decisions I make within the union as has been the case all year as I sat as First Year Rep. Should you be willing to disclose your identity I would be delighted to meet with you to discuss the matter further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

declan06 wrote: »

Excellent article. I'm in my ninth academic year (insert old man joke) as a student or a member of staff (alternating frequently, currently both) and every single year the elections are dominated by gob****es promising the sun and the stars to get a job for a year. I recall one year some thicko promising he'd adjust the traffic lights in the village to improve the flow of traffic lights. In fairness, last years campaign wasn't too bad in that regards (despite the stick I give Aengus for his nitelink ;) ) but the return to swimming pool politics this year is frustrating.

There has never been nothing more at stake in my opinion, this new government will directly target students. I want candidates to tell me exactly what they will do to campaign against the reintroduction of fees and how they'll build the campaign in NUIM.

And if candidates promise to do something ,I want details, definite details on exactly how they will campaign for it. I've freed up my schedule for hustings so beware under-prepared candidates ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Hustings Tomorrow!

Monday the 7th of March, 2pm:

President:

Brickley, Fionn
    Carolan, Gene
    Crehan, Grace
    Kerton, Paul
    Meenagh, Declan
    Mitchell, Barry
    Munnelly, Robert
    O'Neill, Charlie

Still accepting questions via PM and email returningofficer@nuimsu.com

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

In relation to the candidates promising totally unrealistic things I think the adage "we get the [student] government we deserve" springs to mind.

If people actually vote for someone who thinks we can have another swimming pool on the North Campus well then they deserve whatever ****tyness comes with it.

irish_goat wrote: »
    In relation to the candidates promising totally unrealistic things I think the adage "we get the [student] government we deserve" springs to mind.

If people actually vote for someone who thinks we can have another swimming pool on the North Campus well then they deserve whatever ****tyness comes with it.

It is entirely possible to build a swimming pool on the North Campus subject to planning permission. It would however require a €250 increase on the student levy for every single student for a couple of decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Why is there a need for a new swimming pool? That question will probably highlight how out of the loop I am about my alma mater, but I'm really curious!

@Duddy: any hilarious questions come in for hustings? The one about which bird would you rather be from last year's VP Dev and Comms hustings springs to mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It is entirely possible to build a swimming pool on the North Campus subject to planning permission. It would however require a €250 increase on the student levy for every single student for a couple of decades.

I hope you aren't advocating this. The idea is a absurd promise to begin with. I even doubt if one actually has the authority as in any SU role to even promise construction projects.

Jakkass wrote: »
    I hope you aren't advocating this. The idea is a absurd promise to begin with. I even doubt if one actually has the authority as in any SU role to even promise construction projects.

No, I'm definitely not advocating this. We already Have a swimming pool on the South Campus. We do not need such a white elephant on the north campus. As much as I love Grace, this is not her best idea. In times of immense hardship I don't think many of the student body would thank her for the hike in the levy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Duddy wrote: »
    Hustings Tomorrow!

Monday the 7th of March, 2pm:

President:

Brickley, Fionn
    Carolan, Gene
    Crehan, Grace
    Kerton, Paul
    Meenagh, Declan
    Mitchell, Barry
    Munnelly, Robert
    O'Neill, Charlie

Still accepting questions via PM and email returningofficer@nuimsu.com

Location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭daffodil14

I think the hustings are in the common room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Just about to start. Excited isn't the word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Sorry I missed it now because I have a question for Rob. In your manifesto doing the rounds, you said every First Year got a 'do-everything-card' in September. Eh, we didn't...

Daemos wrote: »
    Sorry I missed it now because I have a question for Rob. In your manifesto doing the rounds, you said every First Year got a 'do-everything-card' in September. Eh, we didn't...

All the new white student cards have a metal plate within them that will work when the university introduce the infrastructure to accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Ah that explains it. Cheers :)

Advertisement