Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Its cloudy now in Waterford City and the temp has held around the zero mark with DP a healthy -2.2c. Raintoday are showing sleet out at sea so a good chance of this starting as snow in Waterford. The next few hours will be interesting to say the least.

Temps and live streaming webcam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

Sound great, considering i'm more than 20 miles north . . .good chance of snow :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Dewpoint sounds perfect, it surely has to snow.
    The main critical point is that the wind remains North of East, if it even hints at Southeast it's game over

Agree with you there, The wind off the sea will really kill our Dew Points and it will be game over for us, has happened so many times in the past, early December being the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

ticking all the boxes at present, on balance conditions look favorable. if cork gets all snow for a few hours then further north will be a snowfest as the front stalls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

compsys wrote: »
    I'm sure the residual cold from the December freeze is long long gone at this stage and not what's aiding the cold temp. Sure the station recorded five consecutive days of well above-average temps after Stephen's day so surely any cold and snow would have disappeared.

There's some type of frost hollow or something at the Dublin Airport station so I'd say that's why the temp is already down to -6. I mean it's still 'only' -2 at the nearby Casement station and that's further inland.

The soil would be still quite cold and would cool quicker now than if we hadnt had the december cold, and cold soil aids the quicker air cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

BBC are scared to say how far the front will travel North. They think they have it banged on with the Midlands and Wales - Which possibly favours lots of you Irish guys.

But they scared to more or less go over 3pm tomorrow. Anyone could get hammered with a blizzard or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

I've resisted all day to post but it really looks like I'm going to get my snow here on the hills of north Kilkenny tomorrow. Better get up early and get the smokes in. If this passes over me I give up

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Its cloudy now in Waterford City and the temp has held around the zero mark with DP a healthy -2.2c. Raintoday are showing sleet out at sea so a good chance of this starting as snow in Waterford. The next few hours will be interesting to say the least.

Lets hope so mickger844....just a waiting game now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Indeed Min could be very happy tomorrow:p - especially if this front were to stall and dump snow for 24 hours on the Castlecomer plateau:p

I am very excited :pac:

The warmer Atlantic air is getting nearer :p

precipitation just hitting west cork now, will it be rain or snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I don't think we in the city will get any snow, maybe a sleet and then rain, I hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

typhooner wrote: »
    precipitation just hitting west cork now, will it be rain or snow?

Who knows?
    They are probably in bed as they need their beauty sleep, I bet on rain right at the coast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

200motels wrote: »
    I don't think we in the city will get any snow, maybe a sleet and then rain, I hope I'm wrong.

Hope your wrong too but its cloudy, temp is steady at 0 with a dp of -2.3. Conditions are perfect at the moment, know that can change but maybe this time it might happen for us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Midas Touch

Just West of Cork city here and not a trace of anything. No rain, sleet or snow. Btw really hoping for snow here :-). New to this weather forum but have been a very interested lurker for the past couple of months. Will keep ye posted tom about what's happening or more likely not happening in Cork suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Samash

oh this is exciting! i have been tuned into this thread all day. :D this sounds promising for me. i just hope it stays on track and not drift anyway east. any reports from cork city? what say ye?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hope your wrong too but its cloudy, temp is steady at 0 with a dp of -2.3. Conditions are perfect at the moment, know that can change but maybe this time it might happen for us :)

I wouldn't be to hopeful Mick. Already above freezing on the coast at dunmore and Tramore stations, will surely rise another 2/3 degrees when the front arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

This was the rogue today heading for us around midday.

crefl1_143.A2011006121500-2011006122000.2km.jpg

Now im upgrading my previous thoughts for snow to persist longer at lower levels to inland counties.Snowline rising into the 200 metre mark in the evening before another heavier batch spreads back east due to it pivoting.So by tomorrow midnight i expect at least 6cm or more in the hills that surround me,and myself with perhaps 3cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

I can't believe I'm still watching this my husband thinks I'm mental keeps telling me to look out the window if I want to know about the weather. When do we think this will get to Kilkenny anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Midas Touch

Cork City suburbs here (west) and nothing happening.

Website mirroring the 23:55 forecast

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

06 January 2011 23:39

Today

A widespread severe frost tonight with temperatures down to -6 degrees. Snow will move in over Munster and south Leinster overnight (possibly falling as rain along the coast) and then across the rest of Leinster and into east Ulster during the day.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

The snow will be heavy in places causing some disruptions but will then turn (back) to rain in coastal counties of Leinster and Munster. Saying mainly dry in the west and northwest. A cold, raw day with highest temperatures on Friday only zero to 4 degrees in fresh northeasterly winds.

Outlook

The last of the rain, sleet and snow will clear from Leinster and Munster early on Saturday morning. Most parts of the country will then be dry and bright for the day, except for some wintry showers occurring in places near the west coast. Temperatures will continue to remain low, with highest values generally between 2 and 5 degrees and westerly breezes will add a wind chill factor also. Saturday night will be clear but cold and very frosty. Sunday's weather will work out much the same as Saturday; a fairly dry bright day but cold. The early days of next week bring milder weather to the country as the winds turn to a southwesterly direction and temperatures jump to 9 or 10 degrees during the day. But this will also bring wet weather, with heavy rain and showers from Monday through to Wednesday next.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

-2.1 at charleville dp -4.still looking good for north cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

What did I tell ye about the radio forecast??
    A huge upgrade!!

I should give up the day job

What did I tell ye about the radio forecast??
    A huge upgrade!!

I should give up the day job

what were the details?

-2.1 at charleville dp -4.still looking good for north cork

Yeah looking good for inland Cork.

what were the details?

See my post above or met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

what were the details?

Same as website, just updated.
    In a word excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

If the bbc predictive sequence is correct then there will be a lot of disappointed people on the forum tomorrow.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

and a lot of happy people in Donegal on Saturday afternoon. :D

Not banking on anything though, bbc can change the white areas to rain very fast indeed as Ive seen over the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

sheildsup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Same as website, just updated.
    In a word excellent
    Not for us. Anyway good night all.

I wouldn't be to hopeful Mick. Already above freezing on the coast at dunmore and Tramore stations, will surely rise another 2/3 degrees when the front arrives.

Tramore is showing +0.4c DP -2.6c so thats not bad under cloud cover. The fact that the wind is not off the sea could work in Waterford's favor. That 11 or so Kms from the coast could make all the difference. If its anything other than rain ill be happy, ill take sleet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The heaviest snow could well be tomorrow night in the Midlands, South and East. Winds will go Northerly at some stage after tea time and then significant snow could fall in places.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement