Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Just remember that you will be going at a slightly slower pace for the Half Marathon so it shouldn't be as intensely tough... albeit it will take over twice as long!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

congrats on smashing your PB and as always a fantastic report!!! Fair play , there's no stopping you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

General Update:

Saturday 21st April
    Race morning mile - 1 @ 10:00
    Warm up - .65 @ 9:00 (probably not sufficient...lesson learned:o)
    Race - 6.2 @ 6:53
    Evening jog - 3.1 @ 9:16 (wanted to try out the lunaracers and needed to get the dinner in...it seemed like the perfect opportunity to stretch the legs post race)

Sunday 22nd April
    6.65 @ 8:38
    Lovely wet and windy evening for a jaunt around Tymon with the ducks :)

Monday 23rd April
    Rest/Wine ;)

Tuesday 24th April
    Club session this eve:
    1.5 w/u with strides @ 8:45
    3 X 3 X 200m w/30 second recovery (& 200m recovery after every set of 3) (I'm not so hot on my club/session lingo so need to work on that :pac:)
    1 w/d @ 9:00
    Total c.4 miles

My 200m repeats were all between 42-46 seconds (if that sounds right?) It'll take a little while to get to know the routes, markings on the paths etc. The legs felt ok, though I don't think they'd have been happy to go much faster. The lungs got a decent workout - probably the best in a while!

Another good session - I could get used to these - I hope I keep enjoying them :D

belcarra wrote: »
    Just remember that you will be going at a slightly slower pace for the Half Marathon so it shouldn't be as intensely tough... albeit it will take over twice as long!:D

Gosh don't you know how to put a smile on a girl's face?! :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

claralara wrote: »
    3 X 3 X 200m w/30 second recovery (& 200m recovery after every set of 3)

3 x (3 x 200m w/30 sec recovery), 200m recovery between sets :)

I reckon even we could avoid getting lost on 200m intervals :pac:

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    I reckon even we could avoid getting lost on 200m intervals :pac:

Haha, I asked for that! :o:)
    RayCun wrote: »
    3 x (3 x 200m w/30 sec recovery), 200m recovery between sets :)

Equations?! I didn’t learn those in pass maths :rolleyes: Why does running have to be so numbers oriented? I’m blaming the next bad race on my inability to compute basic formulae…

How many 8 and a half minute miles must I run to complete a 5k race in 18 minutes?! Not so smart now huh… ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I approve of your new found ability to grimace in a race. Well done CL on the PB and the grimace of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Tuesday 24th April
    Club session this eve:
    1.5 w/u with strides @ 8:45
    3 X 3 X 200m w/30 second recovery (& 200m recovery after every set of 3)

Excellent session, you were definitely in the top 3 women although I did spot you looking longingly at the elite group ;):D

Wednesday 25th April
    6.8 @ 8:38
    I sat looking out the window yesterday dreading running home in the weather, and consoling my cold and miserable being with coffee and chocolate biscuits. And then I realised that no one was making me run home, and if I wanted to get the bus or alternative, I could. And that was what made me realise that I actually did want to run! I love running. I love being on my feet. It's not a chore. And if the weather is that bad on a race day, there'll be no buses to get me to a finish line. Granted, such weather may not provide PB conditions but it certainly wouldn’t have me wimping out of running altogether. So when the end of day bell went, I got the gear on, stuck in the earphones and headed off. It was a surprisingly enjoyable run. Legs felt tired but not as much as I was expecting after Tuesday night. I had planned, and knew I should be, taking it very handy (c.9-9:15m/m recovery pace) as a recovery day between harder club sessions... and after the race last weekend... and in advance of tonight and a planned pretty tough run at the weekend. First mile was about 8:15 and I knew I had to pull back. Second was 8:20 and still not disciplined enough. Whoops. Got to 4.5 at at average of 8:25 ish…Bumped into Digs who was just at the start of his far-more-disciplined recovery run so I stayed out with him to make my run a little longer. Those last couple of miles were well disciplined and brought my average back down to 8:38. The sooner the better I get my a*s into a training plan with prescribed paces, and start behaving myself! Easy, easy / hard, hard!!

Thursday 26th April
    5 miles – varying pace
    Club Fartlek session in the rain and mud last night. The usual loop is 2 miles but because of flooding around the lake in Bushy Park, we had to cut about a quarter of a mile off. Digdig and I headed out with the intermediate group. After the first loop, the sensible in my head kicked in a bit, and I realised it wasn’t a race and I have to be careful. So, although I maintained the strenuous effort every time we kicked on, I was more disciplined with easing back for the recoveries in between. There were a couple of tough enough climbs on a grassy hill as the ground was wet and slippy underfoot, but with a bit of effort I felt good and made it to the top. Digs looked strong setting the pace and was the first male to finish. I was the first female, finishing about 15 (?) seconds behind him for 3.5 miles at an average of 7:23. Felt pretty strong on finishing, and think I would have managed a third loop.

There were quite a few people complaining of wrecked legs after last weekend’s races, and I think it was a nice quiet reassurance for both of us that we felt ok. :)

1.5 w/u @ 8:51
    3.5 Fartlek @ 7:23
    .5 w/d @ 9:26

• Advertisement

Digs looked strong setting the pace and was the first male to finish. I was the first female, finishing about 15 (?) seconds behind him for 3.5 miles at an average of 7:23.

27 seconds to be exact ;)

Friday 27th April
    3 @ 9:15
    A very handy avec le Digdig.

Saturday 28th April
    Rest
    Had originally planned on doing my tough weekend run on Saturday but trying to move house provided sufficient physical exertion for one day. Plus I cut it fine on time and it was either run or join friends for take away… clearly the food option won :)

Sunday 29th April
    10 @ 8:57
    The plan for this run was prescribed by KC following a discussion re my target for the Kildare HM. Originally the advice was that if I could go out and do a 10/11 mile run and run the last four miles at 7:15/mile, then I'd know I'd be ready. When I agreed to attempt this, the advice changed to "If you want to get good benefit out of the run, rather than getting a feeling for whether you can do it or not, might be better off making it a little harder, e.g: 4 Miles easy, 2 Miles @ 7:30, and 4 Miles @ 7:15. It will feel difficult, but it's supposed to!" I was nervous about this for days and any excuse to postpone would have been welcomed! Anyway, armed with my plan and my comfort blanket (in the form of a digger who I was happy could run those paces as a guide for me), I headed off. The first 4 miles were grand and handy at an average of 9:04. Picked up the next 2 miles (slightly faster than planned) and averaged 7:22. Then we headed for home into the wind with the final dreaded 4 to go. Ran the first two with Digs before he sent me off aheda, knowing that I was nervous that I was only able for the pace because he was setting it. So off I went, head down, arms a go-go with the finish line in my mind. It was tough enough to keep/push the pace for the last mile as it was bang on into the wind and my poor body was being flung all over the shop with it. I managed it though and although the finish was tough, it didn't kill me and I felt like I had more in the tank. My last 4 miles were 7:08, 7:10, 7:04 and 7:04. It's a wee bit reassuring in terms of Kildare but I'm still not overly confident as to how I'll do over the 13.1 miels. I'll certainly give it my best shot though. All in all, this was a tough yet really satisfying run. A (good) few beers, some decent pub grub and a Leinster win really topped off the day :)

The muscle to the left of my left glute (which may be my ITB? It may actually be me left glute?!) is a little strained today - that had been building for a few days. So I'll need to give it some painful stick/roller attention this week and make sure nothing comes of it. Or a tennis-ball-and-a-wall type therapy either…

Running the Le Cheile 5k on Saturday, before heading away for a few days and hell I'm just gonna shout out now that I'm gonna attempt sub-20 pace… It was nice knowing y'all… ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    27 seconds to be exact ;)

:( Not only am I slowpoke, I can’t even count good… 8-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Running the Le Cheile 5k on Saturday, before heading away for a few days and hell I'm just gonna shout out now that I'm gonna attempt sub-20 pace… It was nice knowing y'all… ;)
    [/SIZE]

This thread is for you:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056621274

You are already the first burd on Boards that can fill in one of th distances. After leCheile and Kildare you can fill in another two.

menoscemo wrote: »
    This thread is for you:

You are already the first burd on Boards that can fill in one of th distances. After leCheile and Kildare you can fill in another two.

Awesome, I'm in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Running the Le Cheile 5k on Saturday, before heading away for a few days and hell I'm just gonna shout out now that I'm gonna attempt sub-20 pace

No bother to ya :)

This thread is for you:

Awesome, I'm in :D

Oh nooooooo.... I was hoping you didn't see this ;)

:( Not only am I slowpoke, I can’t even count good… 8-/

You have me driven to subtraction Lord Grantham :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

[/SIZE]

This thread is for you:

Burd? There'll be a penalty for that one somewhere along the line, my only hope is that I'm there pint in hand to watch the show ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

CL, your rate of improvement is staggering, really. So, please tell me, what do you honestly attribute it to? What was the turning point for you? And it's pretty amazing (to me, at least) how awesome you are at both endurance and sprint events. And you never ran competitively in your youth? Wow. Glad you fell into this sport, however you fell into this sport. ;)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    CL, your rate of improvement is staggering, really. So, please tell me, what do you honestly attribute it to? What was the turning point for you? And it's pretty amazing (to me, at least) how awesome you are at both endurance and sprint events. And you never ran competitively in your youth? Wow. Glad you fell into this sport, however you fell into this sport. ;)

:D:P:pac:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    :D:P:pac:

I assume Digger isn't breaking any laws. Or do you folks have such laws over there?? ;)

I assume Digger isn't breaking any laws. Or do you folks have such laws over there?? ;)

No no, it'll just be the first time that Claralara's youth will have been referred to in the past tense. :pac:

No no, it'll just be the first time that Claralara's youth will have been referred to in the past tense. :pac:

I know. :) That's why I was making sure CL was "old enough" to "date" Diggs. Over here there are laws against such things. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It has to be the EPO she picked up off Fagan. ;)
    Race t-shirt attached... will most likely not mean a thing to anyone... Prizes for correct guesses :D179689.JPG
    I'm also all over my nutrition strategy...:rolleyes:

179690.JPG

I know. :) That's why I was making sure CL was "old enough" to "date" Diggs. Over here there are laws against such things. ;)

I'm tempted to jest but it would be like playing hopskotch on a minefield ;)

16 is legal in Ireland DD so there's nothing to discuss here, let's move on ;):D:D

Well, I think she feels a little older inside :D(I'm probably going to get into troble for saying that :eek:)

Well, I think she feels a little older inside :D(I'm probably going to get into troble for saying that :eek:)

:D

• Advertisement

Well, I think she feels a little older inside :D
    :D

Well, with the whole Creatine thing going on presently, I'm told that 8 inches is deemed small these days :D (20.32 Centimetres to you KM splitters ;))

Advertisement