Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Stonking race and one of the most enjoyable race reports i have read on these boards. You must be bloody chuffed to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Needed the free time of a long weekend to get through your race report, but it was all worth it. Congrats on a fantastic achievement and a race report that matches the magnitude of your journey. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Saturday 7th April
    5 @ 7:26
    Ok ok you wouldn't find that type of run in any training plan or running bible in terms of Ultra race recovery, but it felt good and I wanted to test the new runners... It was really enjoyable and satisfying - hadn't had a training run like it in a long time! :D

digger2d2 wrote: »

Entry forms submitted! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    Entry forms submitted! :D

Not doing the 10k at the Kclub now? It's on at the same time...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Not doing the 10k at the Kclub now? It's on at the same time...

Need to do some rethinking and shuffling re that weekend as have a lot on. So I think Diggy Dig Dig is going to race the Wexford Half on the Sunday morning and I shall just attend nursing my NKOTB headache! :D

Need to do some rethinking and shuffling re that weekend as have a lot on. So I think Diggy Dig Dig is going to race the Wexford Half on the Sunday morning and I shall just attend nursing my NKOTB headache! :D

Really? you know I have a free entry?

Really? you know I have a free entry?

I think that's what he's holding out for... The cheap so and so ;)

I think that's what he's holding out for... The cheap so and so ;)

Anyways it's looking increasingly unlikely that I can do the Kclub 10k myself and if so I'll deffo be up in Santry for that 100m. What will I get if I whoop the two of you? :P

I think I'll use the samsung night race (10k i the city centre this day 3 weeks) as backup if I can't race the Kclub one.

• Advertisement

Anyways it's looking increasingly unlikely that I can do the Kclub 10k myself and if so I'll deffo be up in Santry for that 100m. What will I get if I whoop the two of you? :P

I think I'll use the samsung night race (10k i the city centre this day 3 weeks) as backup if I can't race the Kclub one.

Cool. Couple of friends are doing that one and were trying to get me out so I think I might. Spagbol is running it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Cool. Couple of friends are doing that one and were trying to get me out so I think I might. Spagbol is running it too.

Spagbol is hoping to run it and we'll leave it at that for now.

Okey doke…time for an update. Since Connemara, I have altogether taken the idea of rest and recovery to a new level…!! :o

Along with the celebrations of completing Connemara, there were plenty of other reasons to go mad last week including birthdays, signing new leases, long lost friends returning from Oz, Easter, holidays from work, the sun rising, the sun setting, waking up in the morning… You name it, I ate and drank to it. And then I ate and drank to the fact that I had things to eat and drink to. The result of all of this self indulgent piggery is a slightly heavier, more wobbly around the edges and less than happy CL. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it while it lasted but enough is enough! I am no longer training for an ultra marathon and therefore the eating like an ultra runner has to stop.

I'm running the Kildare marathon on the 13th of May and have decided that I'm going to be hardcore disciplined in the interim. This means no cakes, sweets, biscuits, chocolate, red wine, white wine, deliciously refreshing Corona, sneaky spoonfuls of nutella from the jar (you get the picture!!) from Monday to Friday - I'll allow myself a wee treat at the weekends for behaving during the week if I get a decent LSR or LScycle done. I should also probably stay away from the kilos of salted peanuts that have become part of my binges. I gave up crisps for a month about a year and a half ago and haven't had one since so that's one less thing I have to cut out.

I'm going to follow the P&D core and strength program and sign up for a course of yoga. These changes combined with running 35/40 mile weeks will be in lieu of 60/70 mile weeks, and I'm hoping will be the perfect recovery from the Ultra (though I feel like I have recvoered already).

It all starts right now. I had to write it down to keep me honest as I've become far too fond of treating myself e.g. eating 2 bars of chocolate before bed because I'm running into work on an empty stomach the following morning - silly stuff! It's operation "no more hiding under running tights and long sleeved tops, the summer is here and the shorts and vests are out!!"… aaargh! :eek:

This rest of this week will be an easy 5, 5, 6 and 8 or so. From next week, I'm going to follow the final 4 weeks of one of the marathon plans which should be handy enough - I haven't decided which one yet though. The plan will be to run Kildare and hopefully get a comfortable PB. I'm not going to kill myself but will push it a bit. I reckon in that case that 3:44:59 could be a suitable goal. I think I could hold 8:36 pace with an effort but without doing damage.

Then, after Kildare, I'll be ramping everything up a notch in preparation for Berlin. My recent 5k time is giving me just under 3:20 for the marathon. This is not a time which I completely agree with, nor do I think I'll be aiming for it anytime soon. So I think I'll stick with the 3:29.29 Berlin goal and the 8m/m PMP that goes with that (for the time being anyway!)

I hope you all remember what I sound like because this time next month, I'm going to disappear when I turn sideways… haha! :rolleyes::D

Saturday 7th April
    5 @ 7.26

Sunday 8th April
    Rest

Monday 9th April
    3 @ 8:17

Tuesday 10th April
    1.2 @ 8:55
    Whoops! This was supposed to be a nice short loosener in the sun. I took the idea of 'short' to a whole new level when I got a stitch and the blue sky was replaced with a big precipitation-loaded dirty black cloud… So instead of running the planned loop, I stopped at Digdig's office and just waited for a lift home…Haha! :o

Sh1t.... I bought you six Cadbury creme eggs this morning :eek::D

Sh1t.... I bought you six Cadbury creme eggs this morning :eek::D

That's ok - see below, I'll save them for Saturday...;)
    Okey doke…time for an update. Since Connemara, I have altogether taken the idea of rest and recovery to a new level…!! :o

Along with the celebrations of completing Connemara, there were plenty of other reasons to go mad last week including birthdays, signing new leases, long lost friends returning from Oz, Easter, holidays from work, the sun rising, the sun setting, waking up in the morning… You name it, I ate and drank to it. And then I ate and drank to the fact that I had things to eat and drink to. The result of all of this self indulgent piggery is a slightly heavier, more wobbly around the edges and less than happy CL. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it while it lasted but enough is enough! I am no longer training for an ultra marathon and therefore the eating like an ultra runner has to stop.

I'm running the Kildare marathon on the 13th of May and have decided that I'm going to be hardcore disciplined in the interim. This means no cakes, sweets, biscuits, chocolate, red wine, white wine, deliciously refreshing Corona, sneaky spoonfuls of nutella from the jar (you get the picture!!) from Monday to Friday - I'll allow myself a wee treat at the weekends for behaving during the week if I get a decent LSR or LScycle done. I should also probably stay away from the kilos of salted peanuts that have become part of my binges. I gave up crisps for a month about a year and a half ago and haven't had one since so that's one less thing I have to cut out.

I'm going to follow the P&D core and strength program and sign up for a course of yoga. These changes combined with running 35/40 mile weeks will be in lieu of 60/70 mile weeks, and I'm hoping will be the perfect recovery from the Ultra (though I feel like I have recvoered already).

It all starts right now. I had to write it down to keep me honest as I've become far too fond of treating myself e.g. eating 2 bars of chocolate before bed because I'm running into work on an empty stomach the following morning - silly stuff! It's operation "no more hiding under running tights and long sleeved tops, the summer is here and the shorts and vests are out!!"… aaargh! :eek:

This rest of this week will be an easy 5, 5, 6 and 8 or so. From next week, I'm going to follow the final 4 weeks of one of the marathon plans which should be handy enough - I haven't decided which one yet though. The plan will be to run Kildare and hopefully get a comfortable PB. I'm not going to kill myself but will push it a bit. I reckon in that case that 3:44:59 could be a suitable goal. I think I could hold 8:36 pace with an effort but without doing damage.

Then, after Kildare, I'll be ramping everything up a notch in preparation for Berlin. My recent 5k time is giving me just under 3:20 for the marathon. This is not a time which I completely agree with, nor do I think I'll be aiming for it anytime soon. So I think I'll stick with the 3:29.29 Berlin goal and the 8m/m PMP that goes with that (for the time being anyway!)

I hope you all remember what I sound like because this time next month, I'm going to disappear when I turn sideways… haha! :rolleyes::D

Nope! I am serious about this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You definitely don't let the grass grow under your feet. I can't imagine what minutes you'll knock off your marathon PB in Kildare.

As for the allowing yourself a treat only at weekends. I've tried that strategy, it doesn't work :o (having said that you're more resiliant than me for sure, so good luck with that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I'm running the Kildare marathon on the 13th of May

I'd question the wisdom of this decision claralara. Thats only a couple of weeks between an ultra and a marathon. Bouncing from one long race to another is nonsensical. The risk of injury looms large, but that aside you're giving yourself no time to work on your speed. Speed comes first, volume is build on top of a fast foundation. I mean Its your call of course but I just dont see what you have to gain by running another long race so soon after an ultra. Why not work on your 5k and 10k pace, do some hard and fast sessions, then build a marathon program on top of that, go to berlin and tear it to pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

tunguska wrote: »
    I'd question the wisdom of this decision claralara. Thats only a couple of weeks between an ultra and a marathon. Bouncing from one long race to another is nonsensical. The risk of injury looms large, but that aside you're giving yourself no time to work on your speed. Speed comes first, volume is build on top of a fast foundation. I mean Its your call of course but I just dont see what you have to gain by running another long race so soon after an ultra. Why not work on your 5k and 10k pace, do some hard and fast sessions, then build a marathon program on top of that, go to berlin and tear it to pieces.

+1 quality will suffer at the expense of quantity. There is nothing better than the buzz of a marathon and I can understand the urge to race as many as you can but if you want to keep your improvements going at their current trajectory you will have to cut back slightly and maybe work on some of the speed fundamentals. Obviously if you're happy with just running races and not too concerned with massive gains in time then this can be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The only thing i took from your long post was the roundabout suggestion of a house party:D

So when will the invitations be sent out???

• Advertisement

I have to agree with the two lads. I know you are using my free place but frankly since I'm pacing the half I thought I was offering you a place in the half.

I know it is tempting to cash in when the form is high, but your Half PB of 1:59 is the one that most needs rewriting. Leave the marathon one untill berlin and then put a serious dent in that. I think you can run 1:35 or less in Kildare if you raced the half and I'm sure the organisers would be happy to downgrade the entries. Another point to note is that you'll kill poor digger if you make him race the full :P

All that said, If you decide to do the marathon you may as well race it. No point doing a 26.2 mile LSR becuase you will be achieving nothing while still jeopardising your other training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

What are you aiming for down in kildare orna?

tunguska wrote: »
    [/SIZE]I'd question the wisdom of this decision claralara. Thats only a couple of weeks between an ultra and a marathon. Bouncing from one long race to another is nonsensical. The risk of injury looms large, but that aside you're giving yourself no time to work on your speed. Speed comes first, volume is build on top of a fast foundation. I mean Its your call of course but I just dont see what you have to gain by running another long race so soon after an ultra. Why not work on your 5k and 10k pace, do some hard and fast sessions, then build a marathon program on top of that, go to berlin and tear it to pieces.

+1 quality will suffer at the expense of quantity. There is nothing better than the buzz of a marathon and I can understand the urge to race as many as you can but if you want to keep your improvements going at their current trajectory you will have to cut back slightly and maybe work on some of the speed fundamentals. Obviously if you're happy with just running races and not too concerned with massive gains in time then this can be ignored.

Thanks for the input guys.

I suppose the short reply to your posts would be that there is no wisdom or informed focus in any plan of mine to run a marathon 6 weeks after the Ultra. I started running about 18/24 months ago with no idea of the intricacies of training, racing etc. It was simply a way to get fit. I've gotten to this point in my running almost by accident - as in I pick a race, I find a random generic training plan online and I chip away at it. Basically, apart from bits and pieces of advice from those on here, my training severely lacks focus and/or knowledge. This is something that has become apparent to me over the last couple of months and particularly in light of the few good races I've run. And this is why I've decided to join a club to see if I can take my training and potential to the next level.

In terms of the Kildare Marathon, I suppose I may have gotten carried away with the buzz and the excitement over the last few months, prompting me to make decisions re events that, upon proper reflection, are a bit foolish. After all of the really tough training and races 6/12 months ago, it's easy to understand how I might well lose sight of ultimate goals at the expense of short term results. I also think that the Ultra training may be causing me to underestimate the severity of distance - not that I disrespect 26.2 miles and its effect on the body, just that it seems like a good run and not the insurmountable Everest that it was before.

So I understand what you're saying about racing the marathon and have decided that it is a bad idea. I might as well just focus on trashing my marathon PB in Berlin instead. Is there any merit in running the distance at a really easy pace just for the day out seeing as I've entered it now? Or it would it make more sense to try drop back to the HM? Or would you be advising that I give it a miss altogether.

I really do appreciate the opinions, so thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is there any merit in running the distance at a really easy pace just for the day out seeing as I've entered it now? Or it would it make more sense to try drop back to the HM? Or would you be advising that I give it a miss altogether.

There's no such thing as an easy 26.2 miles and really, what would be the point?

RayCun wrote: »
    There's no such thing as an easy 26.2 miles and really, what would be the point?

Another Marathon on her quest for 1,000 Marathons before she's 30 ;)

On a serious note, with Berlin in September being her goal race would an easy 3:59 26.2 in May be all that different to a hard raced 1.35 13.1?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Another Marathon on her quest for 1,000 Marathons before she's 30 ;)

Better than my accidental quest for 1,000 injuries before I'm 30 :pac:

RayCun wrote: »

But that's what I was saying about Ultra training and how my attitude to long distance has changed. I think I could run a 4 hour marathon tomorrow and really enjoy it and recover well. Don't get me wrong, I want to improve and get faster but I won't ignore or discount the fact that I do enjoy the longer distances and have trained hard for them too. This post is just an aside to my one above but it's important to me to confirm that it is about enjoyment and there are no other constraints in terms of time etc on me at the weekends at the minute.

But that's what I was saying about Ultra training and how my attitude to long distance has changed. I think I could run a 4 hour marathon tomorrow and really enjoy it and recover well. Don't get me wrong, I want to improve and get faster but I won't ignore or discount the fact that I do enjoy the longer distances and have trained hard for them too. This post is just an aside to my one above but it's important to me to confirm that it is about enjoyment and there are no other constraints in terms of time etc on me at the weekends at the minute.

This post is not to negate that what I said earlier and I would like some feedback on my original post. :)

You are definitely in prime position to race a really good half IMO.
    Brainderunner normally destroys his 10 mile PB's a few weeks after doing a Goal Marathon and the HM is a similar race. You have time over the next month to get in a few good HM specific sessions to bring the sharpness up but the fitness and endurance is there already.

I'll wait to see what the two lads say but I don't see the point of Jogging 26.2 miles unless you are pacing or joining the 100 marathon club ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'll wait to see what the two lads say but I don't see the point of Jogging 26.2 miles unless you are pacing or joining the 100 marathon club ;)
    :)
    what have you done with the real menoscemo :).

Advertisement