Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well, with the whole Creatine thing going on presently, I'm told that 8 inches is deemed small these days :D (20.32 Centimetres to you KM splitters ;))

You'd want to zoom out to 100% dude.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Dear CL,

Please ignore the filth above for I know your tender and delicate (translation: youthful) ears are not used to such gutter talk. When you have time between your school projects, homework, slumber parties, and chatting/texting on your phone with your BFF, I'd love to hear all about your journey from the average kid on the block to certified rock star on the track.

Most sincerely,
    DD
    :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well, I think she feels a little older inside :D(I'm probably going to get into troble for saying that :eek:)

I think it's more your maturity levels that make you two a good match. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well, I think she feels a little older inside :D(I'm probably going to get into troble for saying that :eek:)

You are so bold!!!!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Dear CL,

Please ignore the filth above for I know your tender and delicate (translation: youthful) ears are not used to such gutter talk.

Back track!:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Dory Dory wrote: »
    CL, your rate of improvement is staggering, really. So, please tell me, what do you honestly attribute it to? What was the turning point for you? And it's pretty amazing (to me, at least) how awesome you are at both endurance and sprint events. And you never ran competitively in your youth? Wow. Glad you fell into this sport, however you fell into this sport. ;)

DD apologies for my absence over the past 24 hours. I had sneaked out to hook up with the most popular guy in school last night. Unfortunately the six shooters of apple sours I had on my adventures caused me to lose balance and fall off the gutter that I had to shimmy back up on my return. I landed on the neighbour's new kitten which had been sheltering from the stormy weather and broke its two back legs. It's cost my mummy and daddy a fortune because the local vet is totally against pro bono work. Anyway, I've since been grounded with all internet privileges removed. Apparently the internet is a dangerous place, full of strange old men... I've managed to gain access for a couple of minutes as I said I was checking what time the school bus would be here to take me to training tonight. I'm not grounded from going training because apparently it's the only thing aspect of my life in which I exercise discipline!

In other news, I will actually take the time to put a spiel of my short, mostly bitter, sometimes sweet running career together for you. I wouldn't mind looking back on it myself. Be warned though - if you think the race reports are long… ;)

This should be good. Let me know when to start popping the popcorn. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Looking forward to that one CL. :p
    Can you have that ready before the bank holiday? Otherwise I'll have to book a day off work... :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Enough about the old men who live on the internet and the whole running thing, hows the kitten that you fell on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

chinguetti wrote: »
    Enough about the old men who live on the internet and the whole running thing, hows the kitten that you fell on?

That's exactly what I was thinking spag bol, there really was no need for that bit.

• Advertisement

Monday 30th April
    6.23 @ 8:50
    A very enjoyable and handy run home from work. Was cautious this had to be recovery after Sunday's hard run but still found it difficult to pull back the pace. Must try harder! Will be better going forward.

Tuesday 1st May
    Club session - 6 miles total
    1.83 w/u @ 8:49
    4 sets of 1 X 800m & 1 X 600m with 60 & 90 sec recovery respectively (3.82 @ 7:11 average)
    .43 w/d @ 9:09
    I headed out with the intermediate group kinda by accident. Except for the fact that I'm running the 5k on Saturday, I would have been happy with this group. I was by no means the fastest, but I was well able to hold my own (towards the back!). Sense prevailed after the 3rd 800m however, and I took a step back for fear of straining the glute which was about 90% recovered but starting to make itself known. Ran the penultimate 600m on my own at 8:35 pace and then joined the next group for the last set. Although, typically the group pushed hard for the last set so the pace actually ended up being similar to what I had been doing earlier. Was glad though as I would have pushed too hard, had I stayed with the other group until the end. I wasn't being a lazy wimp I promise. I was making a good and sensible decision. Glute feels grand today thank god.

(Times for each 800m/600m were 3.22/2.32 | 3.15/2.34 | 3.12/3.23 (easy) | 3.17/2.24) Ray/Digger - I know I don’t gots the club lingo, but at least I run… :rolleyes::o

Wednesday 2nd May
    Rest
    Took advantage of being training-plan-less for another week or so. I was exhausted! For those of you who think moving house is fun - it is not! The thoughts of moving are fun and exciting, signing the paperwork is fun, shopping for new colour-coded cushions is fun, toasting the new pad with a glass of vino is fun, throwing a house-warming party is fun…the act of moving itself is stressful, and time consuming, and exhausting!! So there. That is why I unpacked some things and then sat on my bum, with a bottle of wine a large bar of dairy milk last night! I'm not quite sure what Digger's excuse for sitting on his bum with Guinness and crisps was however…JOKE!

Thursday 3rd May
    6.5 @ 8:54
    Up and out bright and early for this commuter run. Wasn't exactly sure of the distance from the new pad into the office but had a rough idea of the main route. I am sure there is a shorter, more direct route (through housing estates etc) for those days where 6.5 miles is a bit long, but this morning was actually grand. I'll do some exploring over the next few weeks. There is also the option of hopping on a bus, or driving and dumping the car a mile closer to town. Whatev Trev! I shan't be stressing over it.
    Run-wise: I was a bit wrecked and it was easy to keep it easy. Felt like I was just plodding along. Both knees were a bit creaky for the first mile but I put that down to being just out of bed, the joints being cold and the old synovial fluid not yet flowing (...that's just me vomiting a bit of research into my log..!) ;) I'd say the legs were feeling a bit of residual fatigue from the hard run on Sunday and the club session on Tuesday (and hopefully the early start didn’t help). I'll do a couple of easy miles tomorrow with some stretching, and then keep everything crossed for a good race on Saturday - I really really hope the weather behaves as I think the finish is on grass and that could scupper a sprint finish for me. Right now the legs don't feel 5k-race-perfect but I'm optimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Looking forward to hearing about how far sub-20 you go on Saturday! It'll be a good indicator of what I should be capable of in the Docklands 5km on the 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

belcarra wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing about how far sub-20 you go on Saturday! It'll be a good indicator of what I should be capable of in the Docklands 5km on the 22nd.

I think I am going to have to "unfollow" both your logs;), the pressure to speed up is phenomenal.....

Gone are the heady days of miles and miles at an easy pace:)

belcarra wrote: »
    Marthastew wrote: »
    I think I am going to have to "unfollow" both your logs;), the pressure to speed up is phenomenal.....

Gone are the heady days of miles and miles at an easy pace:)

Ok I'm getting nervous now. Very nervous. That's what I get for shooting my mouth off in public I suppose! :o

claralara wrote: »
    Ok I'm getting nervous now. Very nervous. That's what I get for shooting my mouth off in public I suppose! :o

If you break 20 before me you'd better be ready for snot bubbles :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I wouldnt worry about it, go out hard and just finish harder. Think you have the speed and you 100% have the stamina so enjoy the run.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    If you break 20 before me you'd better be ready for snot bubbles :(

I'm building up my bank of things to focus on to get me through the pain tomorrow:

- You WANT to break 20!
    - It would be awesome to break 20 before Mr Slow!
    - Don't let Digger out of your sights!
    - There are people expecting a lot from you!
    - Pain is your friend!
    - You have run for five hours and forty eight minutes, what the heck is 20 minutes of pain in the grand scheme?
    - You have run 39.3 miles in a row, 3.1 will be over before you know it!
    - Leave everything on the course!
    - The faster you run, the larger the selection of available cakes!
    - Get another box filled in on the Round Numbers thread!
    - You've been shooting your mouth off like a fool about going sub-20!
    - Remember this post and all the other reasons to forget about the pain and get to that finish line!!

Look, all I can do is give it my best shot which is what I fully intend to do. Hopefully it goes according to plan. If not, I'll just try again in the next race! :)

Oh, and did I mention that I would love love love to give you-know-who something to snot bubble about?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good luck tomorrow. God help whoever is around you before the race :)

See you in Kildare next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Remember that everyone around you will be slowing down in the third and fourth k. You need to be passing people out through the middle of the race, otherwise it means you are slowing down too.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow. God help whoever is around you before the race :)

See you in Kildare next weekend.

Haha… I don't know what you're talking about…:rolleyes:

See you next week :)

RayCun wrote: »
    Remember that everyone around you will be slowing down in the third and fourth k. You need to be passing people out through the middle of the race, otherwise it means you are slowing down too.

Added to the list!!

It would be awesome to break 20 before Mr Slow!

No it wouldn't :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck with 5km Claralara, as you say you'll give it your best shot and that's all you can ask for. Enjoy the baked goodies after :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

It would be awesome to break 20 before Mr Slow!

No it wouldn't :(

It would be kind of funny though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The rest of us are nervous enough already - if mr slow falls, who'll be next? :eek:

I can think of funnier things happening to you tomorrow :P
    The rest of us are nervous enough already - if mr slow falls, who'll be next? :eek:

Don't count me out yet but when the time comes, and it will, she's going to kill beat pass us all. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I can think of funnier things happening to you tomorrow :P

Don't count me out yet but when the time comes, and it will, she's going to kill beat pass us all. :o

Define us all. How much are we betting? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Define us all. How much are we betting? :p

She'll probably go sub 3 before you ;)

• Advertisement

Good luck tomorrow CL!! I think we all agree it's not if you go a sub 20 tomorrow, it's we wonder by how much you go a sub 20 tomorrow! Have fun smashing another pb!

Advertisement